Page 232 of 510 FirstFirst ... 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 ... LastLast
Results 5,776 to 5,800 of 12744
    Quote Originally Posted by snowaddict91 View Post
    Yup. Pictures make the trailer look bigger than it is, only 24' ball to bumper and only around 4,000 lbs. pulled real well on the hour drive home and it was pretty windy. The truck has upgraded suspension, brakes, and LR E tires as well, though that doesn't change the GVWR or GAWRs, of course.

Planning to weigh the rig wet when we are done remodeling and a WDH is probably in the plans. Switching back to a 3/4 ton in the long run is a real possibility as well for a variety of reasons.
    Definitely thought it was bigger. The dual axles should help too. I was surprised when I bought my little 16.5 footer that it was near the hitch weight dry for my F150.

Quote Originally Posted by snowaddict91 View Post
    Attachment 326677

Not so much a ski camper, but just drug this thing home. Mrs. snowaddict is going to spruce up the interior and I've got some mechanical work to knock out and then its camping time! Might drag it on a big loop back to the midwest this fall to visit family but we shall see. Will be a nice upgrade from my truck bed platform, but will probably keep that as an option for certain missions.
    Beartooth Basin pimp mobile

Sent from my I3123 using Tapatalk

Meanwhile, living in my van somewhere in Canada. Sadly, ski hill parking lots are now off limits.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20514A35-799B-4652-B366-6E55053C2B1E.jpg 
Views:	173 
Size:	1.05 MB 
ID:	326790

I bought a van!
    Who wants some free candy?

Name:	B9E735ED-C0E3-4251-A267-BFCB1C4EE188.jpg 
Views:	213 
Size:	713.6 KB 
ID:	327008

Enjoy! Vans rock.

Making some progress on the design in sketchup. Hope to start cutting this weekend. This is way more complex than the Astro build that accomplished the same thing (full size bed platform, but keep rear bench to legally seat 5).

Name:  storedbed.PNG
Views: 1071
Size:  35.6 KB

Name:	Bedout.PNG 
Views:	152 
Size:	38.1 KB 
ID:	327010

Quote Originally Posted by sklar View Post
    I bought a van!

Nice an’ stealthy. Is the tube wide enough for your skis?

Quote Originally Posted by Brownski View Post
    Nice an’ stealthy. Is the tube wide enough for your skis?
    Around here people use a tube like that to hold water to shower. In the non freezing months. A black one gets the water hot in the sun. You have a spigot to fill it in the back, also to shower and rinse your board or bike.

That van looks perfect. I had been looking for one for a while and gave up. Astro awd.

I am going to build a bed in my Subaru next week. I splurged on a exped megamat duo.

A lifted sienna was on the list but didn't make sense to me for the cost. I would want AWD. But I do like them...

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk
    I <heart> hot tele-moms

Quote Originally Posted by sklar View Post
    I bought a van!

Joking not joking here. Maybe get a generic plumbing or electrician magnet or sign on the side. We've found that a lot of areas are posting "no overnight camping" instead of parking. If they think it's a service vehicle, probably won't get hassled in urban areas. Plus, "Rod's Plumbing, we lay pipe" has a nice ring to it.

That also makes your van much easier to remember. I'd keep it generic as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by concretejungle View Post
    That also makes your van much easier to remember. I'd keep it generic as possible.
    How about some yellow and black safety stripe stickers on the rear bumper, and a "How's my driving? Call 1-800-373-3411."
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Something really generic along the side in front of the rear wheel wells:

PROJECT MANAGEMENT

The safety tape on the bumpers is a good idea too.

Quote Originally Posted by concretejungle View Post
    That's why you use a magnet. You can take it off easily.

I de-winterized the FWC Hawk today, prepping for spring ski touring.

I plan to start the retirement DIY dirtbag van build fall 2022. Current thought re magnetic signs:

Skip's Vacuum Repair on the driver side door

Flo's Hair Cottage on the passenger side door

For the years that I was doing the endless ski season, the SkiBumMobile was always ready to hit the road to the snow, besides being my daily driver - the dogs usually with me.

It is feeling unappreciated right now.

These are super rare if someone on here is looking for a lightweight 4-season truck camper:

Name:	00i0i_jgBhF9RFHhe_1200x900.jpg 
Views:	326 
Size:	119.4 KB 
ID:	327251
    https://bozeman.craigslist.org/rvs/d...116479952.html
    "Holy Cow!" someone exclaimed from the back of the stationwagon.

That’s a nice one.

Quote Originally Posted by skysos View Post
    These are super rare if someone on here is looking for a lightweight 4-season truck camper:

Name:	00i0i_jgBhF9RFHhe_1200x900.jpg 
Views:	326 
Size:	119.4 KB 
ID:	327251
    https://bozeman.craigslist.org/rvs/d...116479952.html
    They are super hard to find and thats what id put at the top of my list but his price seems out of touch. There a list of other options at that price, as much as i want that northern lite
    Edit: scrolled slowly through the inside again. Sooo fkn nice
    Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app

That thing is sweet.

Okay crafty folks, need some advice on a couple of things as I get further into this build.

Got the main platform cut today. The curves at the feet help it just clear the ceiling when folded out. Total length should be about 76" when fully assembled.

Name:	IMG_1465.jpg 
Views:	164 
Size:	1.09 MB 
ID:	327270

First -- looking for a way to put the wedge supports underneath the middle of the platform on folding brackets so they can take up less room when the bed is stored away (therefore maximizing space in the trunk area.) I can't imagine there will be lots of lateral force, and they are made of 3/4" birch ply. I'm wondering if mounting folding brackets on the left/right side (and opposing the position on the other leg for each platform) will be enough feel secure? Here's the 4 brackets that would rotate to sit flush with the platform when not in use.

Name:	IMG_1466.jpg 
Views:	161 
Size:	1.17 MB 
ID:	327265

Second -- any obvious faults with this cabinet design? or reinforcements needed? I'm not much of a woodworker. Thinking is 3/4" birch ply for the top and sides. 1/2" birch ply for the lateral supports to minimize weight and maximize space. Eventually would cutout space for a drawer in top left, and do a flush-mounted sink on the right (if I can find one small enough). Construction would just be pocket holes + glue as that's what I'm setup to do.

Looking in from the tailgate.

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-05-03 at 3.58.29 PM.png 
Views:	151 
Size:	56.2 KB 
ID:	327271

The "back" of the cabinet.

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-05-03 at 4.00.05 PM.png 
Views:	146 
Size:	46.8 KB 
ID:	327272

I think your cabinet design looks fine. Without knowing the scale/dims I'd say your drawer space looks a little shallow, but that all depends on what you wanna put in there and how you design it. Basically, take a swing at designing that drawer ahead of time. Drawers eat up space surprisingly fast.

No problem using 3/4" for the sides and top. FWIW all of this stuff can be done using 1/2" ply if you use quality plywood (same cost from a lumberyard as the junk from HD or lowes) and good fastening techniques.
    Last edited by North; 05-03-2020 at 08:55 PM.

the most beautiful place in the whole wide world
    Quote Originally Posted by GeezerSteve View Post
    I de-winterized the FWC Hawk today, prepping for spring ski touring.

I plan to start the retirement DIY dirtbag van build fall 2022. Current thought re magnetic signs:

Skip's Vacuum Repair on the driver side door

Flo's Hair Cottage on the passenger side door
    If your van has any roof penetrations that look suspicious, go for a pet groomer name on the magnet. Often doing house calls and would explain why there may be vents or AC units on the roof.

Quote Originally Posted by North View Post
    I think your cabinet design looks fine. Without knowing the scale/dims I'd say your draw space looks a little shallow, but that all depends on what you wanna put in there and how you design it. Basically, take a swing at designing that drawer ahead of time. Drawers eat up space surprisingly fast.

No problem using 3/4" for the sides and top. FWIW all of this stuff can be done using 1/2" ply if you use quality plywood (same cost from a lumberyard as the junk from HD or lowes) and good fastening techniques.
    Good beta -- thanks North.

You got a good lumberyard rec in the Denver/Boulder area? I already had a few sheets of 3/4" ply around hence the choice. But need to grab some 1/2" for the remainder of the build.

Planned depth for the drawer is 4" cut out of the 6" front support. I suppose another option would just be a pull-out shelf.

Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    Okay crafty folks, need some advice on a couple of things as I get further into this build.

Got the main platform cut today. The curves at the feet help it just clear the ceiling when folded out. Total length should be about 76" when fully assembled.

Name:	IMG_1465.jpg 
Views:	164 
Size:	1.09 MB 
ID:	327270

First -- looking for a way to put the wedge supports underneath the middle of the platform on folding brackets so they can take up less room when the bed is stored away (therefore maximizing space in the trunk area.) I can't imagine there will be lots of lateral force, and they are made of 3/4" birch ply. I'm wondering if mounting folding brackets on the left/right side (and opposing the position on the other leg for each platform) will be enough feel secure? Here's the 4 brackets that would rotate to sit flush with the platform when not in use.

Name:	IMG_1466.jpg 
Views:	161 
Size:	1.17 MB 
ID:	327265

Second -- any obvious faults with this cabinet design? or reinforcements needed? I'm not much of a woodworker. Thinking is 3/4" birch ply for the top and sides. 1/2" birch ply for the lateral supports to minimize weight and maximize space. Eventually would cutout space for a drawer in top left, and do a flush-mounted sink on the right (if I can find one small enough). Construction would just be pocket holes + glue as that's what I'm setup to do.

Looking in from the tailgate.

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-05-03 at 3.58.29 PM.png 
Views:	151 
Size:	56.2 KB 
ID:	327271

The "back" of the cabinet.

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-05-03 at 4.00.05 PM.png 
Views:	146 
Size:	46.8 KB 
ID:	327272
    A sink in a minivan? Skip it.
    Have the supports hinge inwards. Then when deployed put a piece of wood between them to keep them open.
    But really just keep them as is for the time being. Only hinge them when you have the location down and really feel like you want them hinged for storage.
    Keep it simple and add complexity and features after using the setup for a while.

I <heart> hot tele-moms

Quote Originally Posted by jhyatt View Post
    A sink in a minivan? Skip it.
    Have the supports hinge inwards. Then when deployed put a piece of wood between them to keep them open.
    But really just keep them as is for the time being. Only hinge them when you have the location down and really feel like you want them hinged for storage.
    Keep it simple and add complexity and features after using the setup for a while.

Sink isn't my choice. I'd skip it, but a small one is a concession to the wife. No motor pump, just a way to wash veggies / hands / silverware and have it feed out of the van (or maybe small grey water).

Need to either commit to hinge or not -- when the platform is stored (hangs from the rear bench), the cabinet dimensions are impacted if they are deployed or folded. If we don't hinge, cabinet has to be shallower.

I like the idea of of just a simple stop piece of wood between them. Simple and effective. Locations are already designed and dictated by using some build in depressions in the rear seats.

Quote Originally Posted by Conundrum View Post
    Joking not joking here. Maybe get a generic plumbing or electrician magnet or sign on the side. We've found that a lot of areas are posting "no overnight camping" instead of parking. If they think it's a service vehicle, probably won't get hassled in urban areas. Plus, "Rod's Plumbing, we lay pipe" has a nice ring to it.
    That is a great idea! Ha. Unrelated: In college we had magnetic signs advertising our restaurant on our delivery trucks, also magnetic. Owners took them off because of too many complaint phone calls of us drivers driving like assholes. Didn’t you live in Bozeman once? Not hard to guess who it was.

Anyways that’s a great idea.