Page 351 of 510 FirstFirst ... 346 347 348 349 350 351 352 353 354 355 356 ... LastLast
Results 8,751 to 8,775 of 12727
    Quote Originally Posted by Huskydoc View Post
    Here's a question to anyone with fiama awnings: How did you install the thing? 60 lbs of awkward AF
    This made me laugh

I have a Eagle on our rig, and yea it’s awkward AF. If I remember correctly, I almost killed myself getting that thing up there. I had my wife on a ladder and I was on a step stool in my truck bed. Once you get it up there it does sit nicely on the bracket while you tighten down the screws.

Quote Originally Posted by simple View Post
    If you thought the 7.3 diesel was horrendous what word would you use to describe the 7.5 gasser? Lol
    Obsolete?

Quote Originally Posted by Cocximus View Post
    Obsolete?
    Yeah the 7.3 diesel Ford is a long life engine..typically the truck frame/body will fail before that engine. As mentioned keeping her warm can be an issue, but there are solutions for that.

Spotted a local semi converted.schoolie (not the way I would've done it) for $5200 with under 200k on a 7.3. incinerating toilet too which I had never seen. I want 4x4 though if I take jump

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by North View Post
    150+ nights in my AWD Express and fully stoked.
    North or others with AWD Express vans. Can you share any thoughts on how you like these things? How is the maintenance? Any qualms or issues I should be on the lookout for?

Looking at a 2010 AWD Express, 2" lift, Colorado Camper pop-top, 83,000 miles, listed for $39k. Seems like a wee bit on the spendy side, but the market is silly right now of course. Back is just a bed platform, bench seat, no significant upgrades AFAICT. Has a roof rack. Has seating for 5 (stock bench), sleeping space for 4.
    sproing!

Meter, is that my neighbor’s van at 39k?

Quote Originally Posted by mcski View Post
    Meter, is that my neighbor’s van at 39k?
    That's what he said he would list it for, but I imagine there's some downward wiggle room on price.
    sproing!

If you thought the 7.3 diesel was horrendous what word would you use to describe the 7.5 gasser? Lol
    Lol. Or a V10. The 7.3 is the most solid options for the Ford vans IMO. But, it comes at a premium when purchasing and has drawbacks for cold-weather use. The price difference between a V10 and a 7.3 can typically buy A LOT of fuel.

Quote Originally Posted by snowaddict91 View Post
    Lol. Or a V10. The 7.3 is the most solid options for the Ford vans IMO. But, it comes at a premium when purchasing and has drawbacks for cold-weather use. The price difference between a V10 and a 7.3 can typically buy A LOT of fuel.
    And I would say the 6.8 is the most solid option. Lots of Sportsmobile folks are split on that one. The 7.3 never makes up for the premium IMO. Sure is nice to have that turbo though.

I have the V10, ha.

And I would say the 6.8 is the most solid option. Lots of Sportsmobile folks are split on that one. The 7.3 never makes up for the premium IMO. Sure is nice to have that turbo though.
    Yeah, if I was gonna buy a van right now it'd probably be a 6.8. I don't miss dealing with a diesel in the winter. The 7.3 premium has really gotten out of hand in the last couple years.

Quote Originally Posted by muted reborn View Post
    I have the V10, ha.
    I also have a V10. For information purposes it is 24' Class c with 450 Super Duty chassis.14,400 GVW. Owned it since 2004. We average 10 to 12 miles per Imperial gallon driving in the mountains of BC.
    The mileage is not good but when people ask me about mileage I tell them 'If you can't afford the gas don't buy the RV'

Quote Originally Posted by meter-man View Post
    North or others with AWD Express vans. Can you share any thoughts on how you like these things? How is the maintenance? Any qualms or issues I should be on the lookout for?

Looking at a 2010 AWD Express, 2" lift, Colorado Camper pop-top, 83,000 miles, listed for $39k. Seems like a wee bit on the spendy side, but the market is silly right now of course. Back is just a bed platform, bench seat, no significant upgrades AFAICT. Has a roof rack. Has seating for 5 (stock bench), sleeping space for 4.
    Also interested to here about the AWD Express vans.

Quote Originally Posted by apex dave View Post
    I also have a V10. For information purposes it is 24' Class c with 450 Super Duty chassis.14,400 GVW. Owned it since 2004. We average 10 to 12 miles per Imperial gallon driving in the mountains of BC.
    The mileage is not good but when people ask me about mileage I tell them 'If you can't afford the gas don't buy the RV'
    Nice! What's the acceleration like?

Mine's a 350 Super Duty Class B but under 10k GVW and a 4x4. When we bought it I told the wife gas will be expensive, but just think, we saved 6 figures by not buying a new Sprinter.

We may have to spend all that savings on gas though, ha.

Quote Originally Posted by thejongiest View Post
    Also interested to here about the AWD Express vans.
    I have a 2005 conversion with a fiberglass hi top. Works great for snow. Clearance is ok for where I go. Mileage is 13-20. Was a shock to me coming from a 4banger Toyota mini van. But for the amount of space I’m dragging around I can’t get much better without dropping $40-50k on a transit or sprinter. From what I have read the transmission is a weak point. If it’s a white van you can expect the paint to start pealing off if you drive in the rain. Parts are easy to get. It’s got 110k miles, the previous owner replaced the rack and pinion? I flushed the transmission. It needs new shocks. Otherwise so far so good.

North or others with AWD Express vans. Can you share any thoughts on how you like these things? How is the maintenance? Any qualms or issues I should be on the lookout for?.
    They are solid, and the best value full size AWD option. Maintenance has been pretty good on mine. YMMV.

I've put 100K on mine and have done rear brakes, suspension, DS wheel bearing, and 5+ door handles. My aforementioned buddy that just sold his did a transmission and much more.
    They are built for and used by tradesmen so finding one that hasn't been beat on is tough. The paint is laughably bad on the white ones, and the interiors are cheap (luckily, there's very little "interior" in the cargo)

5.3 V8 is nice but the transmission holds it back. I have flatlander gears in mine (3.42) and it's pokier than it should be in the mtns, but not bad. It got nearly 21mpg when it drove it home empty from NM, 19 when I removed the air dam, and now 16 avg w/full build, 12-14 towing.

Holy grail would be 3.73 gears + G80 rear. Some come w/o armrests on the front seats. Get armrests. Power windows/locks and popout rear/side windows are all nice options to have. 60/40 side doors are easier for adding lift + bro tires, slider is quieter (fewer seals). Really planted and capable w/snows. My setup is easy livin' for 2 in summer, tight in winter. Low roof hasn't been an issue for me but I haven't experienced high roof life.

They are solid, and the best value full size AWD option. Maintenance has been pretty good on mine. YMMV.

They are built for and used by tradesmen so finding one that hasn't been beat on is tough. The paint is laughably bad on the white ones, and the interiors are cheap (luckily, there's very little "interior" in the cargo)

5.3 V8 is nice but the transmission holds it back. I have flatlander gears in mine (3.42) and it's pokier than it should be in the mtns, but not bad. It got nearly 21mpg when it drove it home empty from NM, 19 when I removed the air dam, and now 16 avg w/full build, 12-14 towing.

Holy grail would be 3.73 gears + G80 rear. Some come w/o armrests on the front seats. Get armrests. Power windows/locks and popout rear/side windows are all nice options to have. 60/40 side doors are easier for adding lift + bro tires, slider is quieter (fewer seals). Really planted and capable w/snows. My setup is easy livin' for 2 in summer, tight in winter. Low roof hasn't been an issue for me but I haven't experienced high roof life.
    What is a reasonable price though? I’ve got my eye on a black one with 100k and they want $26k. Seems a bit ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by thejongiest View Post
    What is a reasonable price though? I’ve got my eye on a black one with 100k and they want $26k. Seems a bit ridiculous.
    No idea. Myself and 2 others each bought empty cargos with ~130K prior to pandemic. AFAIK none of us paid more than $15K. I paid much less, but searched for a yr and drove to NM to buy it.

Quote Originally Posted by muted reborn View Post
    Nice! What's the acceleration like?
    Well it's no rocket ship but it gets the job done especially compared to huge Class A units using the same engine. Sweet spot for the engine is 100 to 110 kph but going over the Rogers Pass or up the Coq all bets are off. It does handle surprisingly well even fully loaded due to the 450 chassis (unusual for a 24') and air springs so that helps keep up momentum.

No idea. Myself and 2 others each bought empty cargos with ~130K prior to pandemic. AFAIK none of us paid more than $15K. I paid much less, but searched for a yr and drove to NM to buy it.
    Good to know a reference at least. Right now it seems to get a good deal you really need to be ready to buy sight-unseen which I am certainly not ready to do.

I've put 100K on mine and have done rear brakes, suspension, DS wheel bearing, and 5+ door handles. My aforementioned buddy that just sold his did a transmission and much more.

This is super useful - thanks for sharing.

This particular van has relatively low miles and was used primarily by skiers. Pop is Colorado CV, with winter insulation. Color is a dull silver (?I'm terrible with color-names haha)

Never heard of the G80 - looks sweet - thanks!
    sproing!

This is super useful - thanks for sharing.

This particular van has relatively low miles and was used primarily by skiers. Pop is Colorado CV, with winter insulation. Color is a dull silver (?I'm terrible with color-names haha)

Never heard of the G80 - looks sweet - thanks!
    IDK what Colorado charges for a pop top. But GTRV is over 10k last I looked. I would love to have a pop top but that’s about what I paid for the van itself. So factor that in the asking price.

I think CCV tops are close to 20k if you can even get on their list.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed el Loco View Post
    IDK what Colorado charges for a pop top. But GTRV is over 10k last I looked. I would love to have a pop top but that’s about what I paid for the van itself. So factor that in the asking price.
    Colorado charges $14.5k now for the pop-top. https://www.coloradocampervan.com/pop-top-info Plus more for extra goodies. Plus tax. Plus a never-ending waitlist.
    sproing!

Not that anyone asked, but there is a new option for high tops (no pop-tops) here in Utah: https://wasatch-overland.com/high-top

Anything you would need to learn about the AWD GM van's could be found in the Expo thread.

https://expeditionportal.com/forum/t...thread.137390/

Or in some other thread in the main van section.

https://expeditionportal.com/forum/f...-a-vanlife.58/