Page 28 of 510 FirstFirst ... 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 ... LastLast

Thread: Ski RV's, who's sleeping in parking lots?

Attachment 103481

Rock on Roacher. This pic rules with the skis against the TC...

Any winter campers have any feedback they would like to share on Dri-Z air or similar dehumidifing options?

http://www.amazon.com/Dri-Z-Air-DZA-...119424&sr=8-18

Re; Dri-Zair - they work very well. Cheap and effective esp for storing an RV. Just follow instructions to determine if you need one or two units. Also suggest you put them each in a glass bowl or baking dish (glass doesn't react to the crystals and is easy to clean) in case they overflow.

this thread got mentioned on a brobomb.com post -

Calling All Campers, RVers, and Freeloaders
    By Jon Hartley1 Comment

We want your stories. First thing’s first: The gig pays in eternal glory, not cash. Second thing’s second: We don’t want gushing pieces about how a Bobby Brown fixation played some pivotal role in your unconscious sexual discovery phase.

What we are looking for right now are people who have slept in their cars, camped at a mountain, or (very unlikely among readers of a park rat blog) lived in an RV/trailer [thread link] during a winter. I realize that this is much more a part of the TGR crowd’s lifestyle than it is in NS world, but we have a dream that someday park rats will grow up and actually take on some of the cooler elements of ski culture, bumming being paramount among them.

So if you’ve got a cool setup in your car a la Erik Olson, or you’ve rigged up a camper and parked that sucker in a parking lot, we’re looking for a couple paragraphs describing the rig and where you’ve taken it (feel free to leave out secret coordinates), and a few photos.

If you think you’ve got a story to tell, email me: jon@brobomb.com
    http://brobomb.com/2011/12/calling-a...d-freeloaders/

I think i just paid my last months rent and will be moving into my car around christmas time til the end of the season.

The last couple days have been awesome. We were on our way to Bozeman to upgrade the battery system and the batteries died at the conoco (thankfully not in the canyon). I turned on the lights and the engine just quit. We brought the batteries into town and swapped them for a nice starting battery and an Optima for the coach. Now I have enough power to run my guitar amp and furnace at the same time without starting the rig. yesssssssssClick image for larger version. 

Name:	guitarv.jpg 
Views:	429 
Size:	309.1 KB 
ID:	105561
    I've got the key to the highway... I'm gonna leave here runnin', walkin's far too slow

Quote Originally Posted by montanamike View Post
    The last couple days have been awesome. We were on our way to Bozeman to upgrade the battery system and the batteries died at the conoco (thankfully not in the canyon). I turned on the lights and the engine just quit. We brought the batteries into town and swapped them for a nice starting battery and an Optima for the coach. Now I have enough power to run my guitar amp and furnace at the same time without starting the rig. yesssssssssClick image for larger version. 

Name:	guitarv.jpg 
Views:	429 
Size:	309.1 KB 
ID:	105561
    Fuggin' epic dude! Lovin' the setup!

Cheers
    I eat, I sleep, I ski.

Quote Originally Posted by montanamike View Post
    Attachment 105199
    day parking. our night hide-outs are top secret
    sorry it's sideways
    Nice Butt! (this fish, not...oh hell...)

I'm still working on sending down some more snow
    (I sent everything we had )

-are you guys coming back this Summer?
    I need to do some weatherproofing myself on the rig and would love some expert advice

Hey, the deck is getting pretty close to done, Ha!

Have Fun, Ski Fast!

Quote Originally Posted by Cascadian View Post
    Attachment 103481

Rock on Roacher. This pic rules with the skis against the TC...
    Ha! I saw that camper on Sunday and thought, "That dude must be a Mag. There's no way it isn't." Small world! I was also a bit jealous of your set up. I've been drooling over campers and RVs for the past 18 months or so and I fully blame TGR for that ...

Thumbs up Question for the RV mags

The washroom area in my RV only has plywood on the floor; as I'll be using it as a bootroom I think it would be wise to seal it up to prevent mold and such.
    Went to the Rona and they had big sheets of vinyl but the dude there said it would crack in really cold temps.
    Any ideas for a cheap and effective way to seal this area up?
    Sauce:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	379456_10151007833310571_763385570_21941353_992656650_n.jpg 
Views:	302 
Size:	90.6 KB 
ID:	106317

How about a rubbermaid tote box lid?
    or just a tote for that matter
    cheap and heavy duty

-I like the Dodge action!

Quote Originally Posted by DeathVan View Post
    How about a rubbermaid tote box lid?
    or just a tote for that matter
    cheap and heavy duty

-I like the Dodge action!
    Thanks man, got 'er for 1k, new 440 put in 50,000 miles ago, dualies on the back, should be a beast on gas!

I'll be using the bathtub to store my skis, so if i just put some kind of bootmatt down small amounts of snow are bound to get on the plywood.
    Think I'll be safe aslong as I'm careful not to get the plywood really soaked?

Hang on... That thing has a bathtub?
    http://www.whereiski.com/ - 1600+ ski town networks, all the latest conditions, cheap passes

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Reuben View Post
    The washroom area in my RV only has plywood on the floor; as I'll be using it as a bootroom I think it would be wise to seal it up to prevent mold and such.
    Went to the Rona and they had big sheets of vinyl but the dude there said it would crack in really cold temps.
    Sauce:

Instead of vinyl flooring, maybe look for some applied coating, like a spray or roll on. You might also look at painting the area with Kilz (I think it's called.) It will seal up the area and prevent mold, mildew and water absorption. The other option is to get some of that bathroom-type drywall. Sort of like concrete, but in a sheet rock type application. I don't remember the official name right now.

Sauce:

I would just replace the vinyl, still rocking the original vinyl in my 'rolling palace' and its a '77.

The best defense is a small hand broom. Brush off everything outside or in the doorway rather than let it melt inside. I use a welcome mat inside the main door to 'deboot', any residuals are brushed off and dumped outside. A few minutes of effort here will pay huge dividends. Like you, boots and skis go in the tub.
    Crippled but free, I was blind all the time, I was learning to 'ski'.

The best backcountry advice ever given on the TGR forums:

Quote Originally Posted by skibee View Post
    Tits are a good thing, if making a good decision so you can live to see tits again is all that motivates you then so be it!!!

remember that whatever you do to seal that floor, the water will go somewhere. Be sure and seal the edges of the room to keep water from sneaking under the plywood. Always remember that 100% silicone caulking will not paint, so use polyeurethane caulking if you intend for it to be painted.

i lived in mine for 3 yrs after 3 in a truck camper. i don't think your boots will dry in the washroom. i used mine for storage(summer bike gear). i put my boots up high in the overhead bunk. your going to have a awesome winter garrr-an-teeeed

Name:	IMGA0060.JPG 
Views:	376 
Size:	114.8 KB 
ID:	106404the upgraded model after 3yrs in the beatdown $200 small toyota truck camper

I'd really like to see a VW Westfalia-style camper built onto a 4WD Nissan NV chassis. This is a start:

http://rvdailyreport.com/news/id/170...-on-nissan-van
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    I'd really like to see a VW Westfalia-style camper built onto a 4WD Nissan NV chassis. This is a start:

Agreed.
    The VW T5 is not imported.
    Too bad Nissan has not brought the diesel here.
    Maybe Ford will bring more versions of the Transit,where there are at least 3 larger sizes,and diesel.

The Toyota HiAce is available worldwide in many configurations but not here.

Meanwhile around Sprinter prices around 2005 are getting attractive
    picador

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post

The instant I saw one of those NVs I knew they would make a kickass rig. The tall one is boss!

Name:	6a00d83451b3c669e20148c6b7f265970c-800wi.jpg 
Views:	214 
Size:	76.4 KB 
ID:	106506
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Sauce:

My RV has the bathroom gutted right now and is used as a boot room as well....no problems so far for 2 seasons. I will be lining the entire room with rhino-liner truck bed liner. It will be spendy but worth it with what I'm trying to accomplish.

Why not use some do it yourself truck bed liner from Walmart, Autozone, etc? Cheap, will seal well, and will withstand a variety of temperatures, moisture levels, and motion.

Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post
    The instant I saw one of those NVs I knew they would make a kickass rig. The tall one is boss!

Name:	6a00d83451b3c669e20148c6b7f265970c-800wi.jpg 
Views:	214 
Size:	76.4 KB 
ID:	106506
    Even uglier than a sprinter,and much worse mileage
    picador

Bobby Stainless Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by jon gaper View Post
    Even uglier than a sprinter,and much worse mileage
    Half the price, and much more power.

Quote Originally Posted by grinch View Post

Name:	IMGA0060.JPG 
Views:	376 
Size:	114.8 KB 
ID:	106404the upgraded model after 3yrs in the beatdown $200 small toyota truck camper
    That looks like a REALLY sensible size. Big enough to provide all you need, but small enough to fit pretty much anywhere.

When I was in Oz I was living in a HiAce pop-top for 6 months and loved it. Would need some serious mods to be anywhere useful over here though, insulation being the biggest one.

The good thing about a lot of the conversion vans here is that they come "factory" (ie. from the 3rd party van conversion company like starcraft or vanagon) with at least a small amount of insulation, something that's nice to take a bit of the bite off. Good for sound dampening too!

The downside is that they're all giant ass V8's that guzzle gas.
    I eat, I sleep, I ski.