Page 20 of 508 FirstFirst ... 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by jon gaper View Post
    In my state, if you are "camping", it is the same as being in your home for gun laws. Your campsite can be defended ,same as your home. You do not need a permit,and your gun can be loaded and available. In fact,the only reason I own a gun is for camping alone in the desert.However, you cant shoot someone for stealing your skis unless you believe you are in mortal danger.
    How about when driving, though?

I just finished a platform in my 4Runner, so no more of this.

If you take out the middle seat cushion you can get 6'6'' of room. The cushion removes with just 2 bolts. I made it in pieces that can all fit in the back with all the seats up.

All the pieces in, 6'6'' of room.

Extensions

1 rear seat up

In Colorado, you can have a loaded handgun in your vehicle. Nothing special needed. Long guns can't have one in the chamber.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    Exactly my point. If I wandered through a sleep site and this guy pooped out his trailer....end of story, I'd be toast!

Quote Originally Posted by Trackhead View Post
    Average speed up LCC was 30-32mph. I can live with that.

Redneck photo shoot.

FKNA!
    I eat, I sleep, I ski.

Up until my friend sold it we used to stay in this:

It definitely got us some looks and not the good kind...

JSki: Love it! I used to have a 4Runner and did something similar. I made a sort of reflectex caccoon in the back to trap heat.

Sometimes I miss that 4x4 though
    I eat, I sleep, I ski.

Love the Sammy build! Any interior shots?

I'd like to build a platform in the back of my XJ for sleeping and still be able to stow gear for a weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by makimono View Post
    Love the Sammy build! Any interior shots?
    Still need to add sink, stove, water tank, etc, etc. More in a month or so. Taking a break from working on the interior to drive it around and just take a break from working on it in general.

http://i795.photobucket.com/albums/y...-11-30_912.jpg

nice job on the rig trackhead!

more useful tips from the RV forums:
    *LED your outdoor "porch lights" and run them all nite
    *take the family to kung fu so we can team up and get all CHUCK NORRIS on intruders

I like the machete (ma-chay-tuh like Vote For Pedro guy, says) concept. Can be holstered in a useful sling at the entry door, right on the bulkhead. Requires no CCW, no instructions, unlike kung fu & little practice necessary. Can be dual-purposed to slice and dice bison & other tasty game to fit the smokey joe weber.

The t-ball edition bat - not bad also. I have a Detroit Tigers souvenir bat which is even smaller. Hideous thoughts to actually have to deploy these items of self defense. But hey...

I wonder what kind of ninja toys are out there besides throwing stars & long handled wack a mole sticks..."I'll be right out..." (after I get dressed in my black ninja suit so you won't even see me)

Might have to dress the door skin in kevlar (TM)

Anyone on here have an opinion on this bad boy?

I'm thinking of going and taking a look. It would make the weekend trips to the local hill a lot easier. Anything I should be looking out for on 22re rig of this vintage? I've never owned anything bigger than a Suby wagon before, but this strikes me as a fine vehicle to lumber the 2-3 hours to the local hill and park for the weekend.

http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/n...582286723.html

Where full grown men pretend to be cowboys
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirshredalot View Post
    My opinion is that it's f'n sweet and you should buy it.

Really though, some beta would be nice. There's one identical to it for sale in Bozeman that I've been lusting after...

I have never done this before but would something like this that fits perfectly in the back of a Subaru Forester be a bad idea to sleep on in the winter assuming you kept it well inflated?

http://www.coleman.com/coleman/Colem...6#.TnYuSHPqmLE

Are air mattresses a bad idea in the winter because of heat loss or can you just throw some extra blankets on them?

Quote Originally Posted by Sirshredalot View Post

I'm thinking of going and taking a look. It would make the weekend trips to the local hill a lot easier. Anything I should be looking out for on 22re rig of this vintage? I've never owned anything bigger than a Suby wagon before, but this strikes me as a fine vehicle to lumber the 2-3 hours to the local hill and park for the weekend.

http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/n...582286723.html
    That looks pretty sweet and low investment to boot. Gonna be COLD though. You probably want to make sure all your water systems are drained cuz they'll probably freeze in that thing.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfelot View Post
    I have never done this before but would something like this that fits perfectly in the back of a Subaru Forester be a bad idea to sleep on in the winter assuming you kept it well inflated?

http://www.coleman.com/coleman/Colem...6#.TnYuSHPqmLE

Are air mattresses a bad idea in the winter because of heat loss or can you just throw some extra blankets on them?
    Air is an *insulator*. Beside, don't you sleep in a really warm bag anyway??

Quote Originally Posted by udp88 View Post
    Those air mattresses get really cold since most sleeping bags don't really have a lot of insulation on the bottom.
    The pacifists always lose, because the anti-pacifists kill them.

Air mattresses in winter are horrendous btw. Gotta have closed cell foam in winter. On another note I just got my new slide in camper for my Tundra. Getting it tricked out for winter now. Will be traveling skiing full time this winter with one agenda....ski anywhere I want in N. America.

Quote Originally Posted by udp88 View Post
    Right, except how well does it insulate? When you have a 6" deep pocket of it where it can circulate, it isn't very effective. When you crunch all the sleeping bag insulation under your body, you suddenly have very little insulation underneath you. Then you get the cold bottom hot top syndrome and you sweat while sleeping and make your system even colder. If you use the air mattress just get a thin closed cell pad and put that on the air mattress.

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    In Colorado, you can have a loaded handgun in your vehicle. Nothing special needed. Long guns can't have one in the chamber.
    maine has the highest hand gun ownership per capita................and the lowest crime rate..............makes sense don't it?

rog

Good advice on the air mattresses guys. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by neufox47 View Post
    If you use the air mattress just get a thin closed cell pad and put that on the air mattress.
    This. Also helps if air mattress decides to leak. Only problem is thermarest (or whatever brand) may not want to stay put on top of air mattress.
    I'm a cougar, not a MILF! I have to protect my rep! - bklyn

In any case, if you're ever really in this situation make sure you at least bargain in a couple of fluffers.
    -snowsprite

On the air mattress front, they suck. I'd use just about anything first. As mentioned, they don't insulate well, they leak, you slide off them, etc.

The best value is a 3" open cell RV mattress pad, twin size can usually be found for <$20. If you're worried about moisture, cover it with a couple garbage bags and a couple fitted sheets over that.

The most comfy (for me) is a 4" memory foam mattress topper from Wal-Mart/similar. It's got 2" of memory foam over 2" of open cell foam. Can usually find these in a full size for about $60 with an included cover. This is what I run in the back of my truck. VERY warm.
    There's nothing better than sliding down snow, and flying through the air

Just picked up, this weekend, a 1988 Hallmark 8' pop up camper fully restored for the back of my Dodge Ram for only $250. Super Pumped! Have any of you guys had any problems with catalytic heaters, with oxygen sensors, not working above 7000 feet?
    Last edited by tokinskier; 09-22-2011 at 04:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by neufox47 View Post
    Right, except how well does it insulate? When you have a 6" deep pocket of it where it can circulate, it isn't very effective. When you crunch all the sleeping bag insulation under your body, you suddenly have very little insulation underneath you. Then you get the cold bottom hot top syndrome and you sweat while sleeping and make your system even colder. If you use the air mattress just get a thin closed cell pad and put that on the air mattress.
    I'll buy that. My thinking was that sleeping on a thin layer of carpet that is attached to the one piece of metal between you and the outside (with maybe a layer of sound deadener between) was going to be much colder than even one of those big tall family-car-camping-in-the-park kind of air mattresses - at least it would put something more between your bag and that cold surface. I'd definitely agree that something with cells is gonna be waaaaay warmer.

Hospitals throw away tons of foam pads. Free. As many as you want. Must pass smell test though,but can be washed

Hayduke Aug 7,1996 GS-Aug 26 2010
    HunterS March 17 09-Oct 24 14