Page 275 of 510 FirstFirst ... 270 271 272 273 274 275 276 277 278 279 280 ... LastLast
Results 6,851 to 6,875 of 12727
    On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    Ok so this thread is DEEP and I don't know where to really begin. Long story short I cannot afford to buy real estate where I live. I am selling a property in another state and am contemplating taking some of those proceeds and buying a camper for my Tundra 6.5' bed. Let the rest of the proceeds ride in investmens/Crypto. I am single. No pets. Don't plan to travel a ton with the camper. I'm not going full on #vanlife and just driving all over creation. I will stay around SWMT most of the time. I still have work to do.....hopefully more work than not so I can eventually afford to purchase a "tear down" here.

I have been against the idea of a pop up, mostly because I assume they are super cold and the insides of the pop up fabric get coated with ice? Even with a heater going?

Can you sleep in these things when it's -20* in the canyon somewhere or at the ski area "RV lot"?

Scout Camper vs. FWC vs ???

Tell me I am dumb and go buy a shed to live in in Harlowton?

Quote Originally Posted by Whiteroom_Guardian View Post
    Ok so this thread is DEEP and I don't know where to really begin. Long story short I cannot afford to buy real estate where I live. I am selling a property in another state and am contemplating taking some of those proceeds and buying a camper for my Tundra 6.5' bed. Let the rest of the proceeds ride in investmens/Crypto. I am single. No pets. Don't plan to travel a ton with the camper. I'm not going full on #vanlife and just driving all over creation. I will stay around SWMT most of the time. I still have work to do.....hopefully more work than not so I can eventually afford to purchase a "tear down" here.

I have been against the idea of a pop up, mostly because I assume they are super cold and the insides of the pop up fabric get coated with ice? Even with a heater going?

Can you sleep in these things when it's -20* in the canyon somewhere or at the ski area "RV lot"?

General consensus from what I've read is find a bigfoot /northern lite or similar fiberglass meant to be used in the cold. Less chance for leaks.

Norse has a sweet setup on his tundra. maybe he can chime in.
    Last edited by pyromaniacman129; 11-24-2020 at 01:16 PM.

Winter use will require a camper designed for winter. The FWC certainly isn't as it's just one big crappy thermal bridge with massive condensation issues.

For winter you're looking at something like this.

https://overlandex.com/pop-up-truck-campers or this https://www.supertrampcampers.com/flagship

Neither are a budget option or something you'll find used.

I have a FWC on my truck and use it 4 seasons, plenty of winter nights but mostly in Ca so not the -20 on a consistent basis. I added a Thermal Pack for insulation around the canvas portion. It helps a TON with keeping the camper warm but does not eliminate the condensation issues with the propane heater. I have heard folks are ditching the propane for an external diesel heater in a FWC to give a dry heat. Wouldn't be a bad option but for longer stays in really cold a full hard shell might be a better option and maybe easier to find. FWC has caught on with the craze and their going for insane prices used and the wait for a new one is many months.

I never see used hardshells/BigFoot type campers that aren't for 8 or 9 foot beds and weigh a fuck ton dry.

I never see used hardshells/BigFoot type campers that aren't for 8 or 9 foot beds and weigh a fuck ton dry.
    Agreed, they are super heavy and might be tough on a 3/4 ton or something lighter...if you're not moving around a ton have you considered a trailer? This guy has a pretty cool concept: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1LAJSeUDuE

They are quite rare, but they exist.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7240.JPG 
Views:	302 
Size:	218.9 KB 
ID:	349582

^^^ No rear tie-downs on that camper setup?
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by myles long View Post
    Agreed, they are super heavy and might be tough on a 3/4 ton or something lighter...if you're not moving around a ton have you considered a trailer? This guy has a pretty cool concept: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1LAJSeUDuE
    Sort of leery of a trailer. Seems like resale value is garbage. Sketchy towing in the snow, etc.

Edit: Ok so that setup is pretty rad. I actually had a 16 foot enclosed vee nose that I sold for a song 3 years ago. Was all rusted to shit though from being on the Ice Coast.

Quote Originally Posted by jackattack View Post
    They are quite rare, but they exist.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7240.JPG 
Views:	302 
Size:	218.9 KB 
ID:	349582
    How long did you have to search to find that? Airbags or something in the rear suspension?

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    ^^^ No rear tie-downs on that camper setup?
    I weighed the pros and cons of installing tie downs on the plastic bumper and opted to forgo them for the time being, haven’t had any problems with just the front frame mounted tie downs.

How long did you have to search to find that? Airbags or something in the rear suspension?

Airbags, but otherwise stock. I’m considering a suspension upgrade to improve damping. I had a different camper when this one came up I made the switch, so it wasn’t really a search. I did have to import it from Canada but that was no issue.

Actually a couple Bigfoot on searchtempest in PNW. I assume yours is a "1500 short box" or are there some super rare models that are even smaller?

Edit: A Northwood Wolf Creek seems like an option as well.

I think the model I have is 15c8.0. As far as I know it's the smallest one they ever made for "full size" trucks. I have seen a listing one time for one sized for the smaller import models, northern lite also has one in that size range. The challenge with those is that the cabover portion is much lower, designed for the shorter cab height of tacoma etc.

Not going to lie man, this is a terrible financial decision (or series of decisions).

I think you would personally be better off buying a tiny house for like 40-60k and finding somewhere to let you park it. Notably because you say you won't be traveling much and a much more enjoyable experience to live in overall. This is still probably a bad financial decision but less so.
    Live Free or Die

Quote Originally Posted by AdironRider View Post
    Not going to lie man, this is a terrible financial decision (or series of decisions).

I think you would personally be better off buying a tiny house for like 40-60k and finding somewhere to let you park it. Notably because you say you won't be traveling much and a much more enjoyable experience to live in overall. This is still probably a bad financial decision but less so.
    Even the tiny 40-60k houses have almost all but vanished. There are a couple around that are essentially piles of sticks. Not even really livable.

Usable lots without covenants that you can park campers at are tough to find now too and even they are too rich for my blood.

^^ lots of smokeshacks at Big Sky. One even has a hammock. FIRST TRACKS EVERY MORNING

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

You asked this exact question a year or two ago and you didn't do anything people advised.

I’ve done lots of warm weather van camping, but not wintertime. 2 noob weekend warrior questions:
    - Do you crack a window(s) or something even when it’s cold to have some fresh air? Assume diesel espar heater to keep interior warm-ish.
    - Coming from warm climate to cold, do you put additives in your diesel to keep it from gelling or just fill up when you get to somewhere with winter fuel? Do you have to run it for a while to get it through the system? This is relevant both for starting the van and also for the espar heater.
    I see Blue; He looks glorious.

Quote Originally Posted by Atlas Q. Powmonger View Post
    I’ve done lots of warm weather van camping, but not wintertime. 2 noob weekend warrior questions:
    - Do you crack a window(s) or something even when it’s cold to have some fresh air? Assume diesel espar heater to keep interior warm-ish.
    - Coming from warm climate to cold, do you put additives in your diesel to keep it from gelling or just fill up when you get to somewhere with winter fuel? Do you have to run it for a while to get it through the system? This is relevant both for starting the van and also for the espar heater.
    I typically crack one of the roof vents and turn the fan on lowest setting while.running the furnace at night.

As far as deisel goes, fill up at a station where the climate is cold when you need there. No need for additives they distribute accordingly.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Atlas Q. Powmonger View Post
    Crack a vent for sure, and as Myles said no need to worry about diesel additive in the sprinter NcV3. Insulated window covers are key. We have a cheap 12v mattress pad heater that is great for cold temps. Plug it in an hour before you climb into bed and foam mattress is all warmed up.

As far as the Espar D2 goes, these things work really well but can be fickle. It likes to run on high, extended periods on low can lead to gunk build up and the inevitable white smoke/clogged heater . Every morning I like to open doors and let the thing crank at full blast for a while. I think it helps burn off the build up from the previous night. The high altitude kit also helps with this.

I’d recommend getting familiar with the simple servicing of the heater, so when it does eventually gunk up on you you can fix it and getting it up and running again. It’s pretty easy to do with the right tools and Loosing your heat really sucks. The clogging almost always happens in the glow plug screen or at the tiny vent hole right below it. I replace the screen twice a year as a PM. The combustion chamber can also be cleaned but that is a bigger project

Tools needed to do screen replacement/clean. You can find good videos of this and Espar has a second service manual that outlines the process
    -T??? To remove heater outer cover
    -slotted deep socket (can’t remember size maybe 12mm ????) to remove the glow plug. This can be ordered or I just made one by cutting a slot in a socket with angle grinder
    - small pick to pull out old screen and clear vent hole
    - small wire brush
    -replacement screen made by espar. Each one comes with a little insertion tool. I get them from the thermoking dealer in Denver, they are cheap

Quote Originally Posted by jpcmoriarty View Post
    We have a cheap 12v mattress pad heater that is great for cold temps. Plug it in an hour before you climb into bed and foam mattress is all warmed up.
    12V cig lighter plug in? Do you have a link?
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    12V cig lighter plug in? Do you have a link?
    https://www.amazon.com/Electrowarmth...12v+mat&sr=8-3

I think this is the one I have. Twin size. I run it sideways on our almost king size bed, so shoulders-knees are heated. I like it, work better than a heated blanket because it’s under you. Combined with a heavy down comforter, you can stay pretty warm, even without the heater running

Even the tiny 40-60k houses have almost all but vanished. There are a couple around that are essentially piles of sticks. Not even really livable.

Usable lots without covenants that you can park campers at are tough to find now too and even they are too rich for my blood.
    I wouldn't buy a lot, but there is most definitely a place somewhere around Bozeman where you can rent a space to park one.

I just don't see how spending a bunch of money on a camper, gym membership to shower, and a place to park every night is going to save you any money vs. renting with a bunch of roommates. Just getting started on that buying the camper is going to set you back a year or two savings wise if shit is that tight. I have several buddies who have tried the whole living out of their truck thing here in Jackson and they never make it long term. The hassle for one thing, and it just isn't cheaper ultimately.

On the flip side roommates suck so I get it but there is a lot of truth to the notion that being poor is actually quite expensive sometimes.
    Live Free or Die

I have a buddy who sold his condo and moved into a camper for a season. He's mid 40's and single. Hated it. Still hasn't recovered financially, and is stuck renting because home prices have increased exponentially while he was out of the game. He was praying for a housing crash that never came.

He should have just refinanced at a lower rate and stayed in the condo. Condo that he is renting right now is right across the street

Oh man living right across the street would be such a kick in the teeth figuratively.
    Live Free or Die

Quote Originally Posted by AdironRider View Post
    Oh man living right across the street would be such a kick in the teeth figuratively.
    To his credit the rental place has a garage for all the toys that he bought with the money from the sale of his house so that probably takes the edge off.