Page 35 of 508 FirstFirst ... 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 ... LastLast
    That is a slightly modified Four Wheel Grandby from, I'm guessing, 1980. Great find. A little suspension work and some new tires and you're good to go. If you need help on the wiring or appliances, post up, and I'll walk you through it.

so we decided to call it the 'Tangerine Dream'. anyone know what's that a reference to? (without looking it up)

Quote Originally Posted by lrn2swim View Post
    the girlfriend and I just picked this up a few months ago. 1977 Econoline 250 Quadravan, 4wd and lifted. Will be parked often in the upper lot of Alpental come this winter. Can't wait for it to start snowing again!!

Any suggestions for a name?

Attachment 118150

Attachment 118148

Attachment 118151

Attachment 118152

Attachment 118149

So this thread is great for ideas on campers themselves, but I have a question for youse guys.

I been away for a bit, but is there a place somewhere where the collated knowledge of the collective resides, regarding best places for ski dirtbags with campers (of every stripe and type) to park..? I think it would be a good resource, with info on parking spots particular to each resort, along with local rules, amenities (obvious or hidden), good & bad experiences wit' Da Man, etc. It could be very useful as a regularly updated post that might even merit sticky status, depending. Think of it as a "just the tip" kinda post for stinky ski-camper scumbags.

If such post does not yet exist, I would be happy to start one.

Example:

LCC (Alta/Snowbird): No good place to park in the canyon proper overnight: parking nazis bust your chops, especially when high avy hazard. Some have slept in the back of their truck in the Snowbird garage without getting caught, so long as they weren't obvious about it, with access to main lodge bathrooms across the way. Skibus parking lot at base of canyon - not supposed to park overnight, but sometimes not regularly checked - has pit toilets. Closest WalMart parking lot 9151 Quarry Stone Way, Sandy, UT

Alpine Meadows: Camped in main lot overnight prior to a comp back in '06. Didn't get bothered, though the plows were fucking loud.

etc. etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Tri-Ungulate View Post
    So this thread is great for ideas on campers themselves, but I have a question for youse guys.

I been away for a bit, but is there a place somewhere where the collated knowledge of the collective resides, regarding best places for ski dirtbags with campers (of every stripe and type) to park..? I think it would be a good resource, with info on parking spots particular to each resort, along with local rules, amenities (obvious or hidden), good & bad experiences wit' Da Man, etc. It could be very useful as a regularly updated post that might even merit sticky status, depending. Think of it as a "just the tip" kinda post for stinky ski-camper scumbags.

If such post does not yet exist, I would be happy to start one.

Example:

LCC (Alta/Snowbird): No good place to park in the canyon proper overnight: parking nazis bust your chops, especially when high avy hazard. Some have slept in the back of their truck in the Snowbird garage without getting caught, so long as they weren't obvious about it, with access to main lodge bathrooms across the way. Skibus parking lot at base of canyon - not supposed to park overnight, but sometimes not regularly checked - has pit toilets. Closest WalMart parking lot 9151 Quarry Stone Way, Sandy, UT

Alpine Meadows: Camped in main lot overnight prior to a comp back in '06. Didn't get bothered, though the plows were fucking loud.

etc. etc.
    Taos and Santa Fe both have designated spots where you can park overnight. Probably have to put up with plow noise when it snows though.

there is this thead here

https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...-Locale-Thread

the thing is, most people don't want to give up their favorite spots online

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dfddd9a9.jpg 
Views:	300 
Size:	235.4 KB 
ID:	119582

The interior of my van Had to strip it because of rust but now shes all sealed up!

Name:	ad8a9c2d.jpg 
Views:	507 
Size:	262.7 KB 
ID:	119583

me and my van

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Marshack View Post

Name:	ad8a9c2d.jpg 
Views:	507 
Size:	262.7 KB 
ID:	119583

me and my van
    Nice project. If I catch my daughter in there in that hippy ski van there will be hell to pay
    carpe diem vita brevis

Quote Originally Posted by daver View Post
    Awesome, thanks daver, figured it had to be out there, but wasn't sure which search terms would find it. Good to know, and it doesn't surprise me in the least the Rev is the OP.

Looking forward to it this winter in this new (to me) rig.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC01129.jpg 
Views:	955 
Size:	2.22 MB 
ID:	119918  
    Last edited by sierraskier; 08-30-2012 at 07:17 PM.

Name:	25919758.jpg 
Views:	327 
Size:	219.3 KB 
ID:	119621

got my floor in today

Quote Originally Posted by MiCol View Post
    home base for Cali ops , scored for $1500
    Purchased from a guy named Walt in Albequerque? Schweeeeet!

That .50 caliber gun turret gonna look nice on the roof.

Not exactly maggot-friendly pricing but fair and rig will definitely do the job. Not affiliated:
    http://skagit.craigslist.org/rvs/3158381639.html

4x4Chinook rare.With diesel,beyond rare.

"
    40k -thats much less then half of the new price.."
    Yes,after 13 years,they are less than 1/2 price.
    picador

Spotted that exact rig (well almost, no lift) about 2 weeks ago in Nelson. The lady friend just laughed as I stood and drooled. I could full time in a rig like that. It was gone when I got out of VPO. I died a little inside.
    Life is simple. Go Explore.

Parked down the way in Aspen; MT plates:

Name:	DSC_1427.jpg 
Views:	2136 
Size:	1.40 MB 
ID:	119684

My mind debates: is this just an insane ski rig/global overland monster, or is it possibility the GI Joe Rolling Thunder in the flesh?

Name:	Rolling_Thunder_by_Vala316.jpg 
Views:	252 
Size:	138.1 KB 
ID:	119685

Hugh Conway Guest
    that's perhaps the most retarded RV in the history of the world

Hi. I'm converting over my Civic so that i can sleep in it this winter. Does anyone have any experience converting smaller cars? Or suggestions that come to mind? At the moment the plan is to pull out the passenger seat to have a platform extend into the front that i can use as my bed. with hopefully some storage. Anyway. Pics to come!

Quote Originally Posted by p_ogo View Post
    Hi. I'm converting over my Civic so that i can sleep in it this winter. Does anyone have any experience converting smaller cars? Or suggestions that come to mind? At the moment the plan is to pull out the passenger seat to have a platform extend into the front that i can use as my bed. with hopefully some storage. Anyway. Pics to come!
    I formerly used a 90's Subaru Legacy sedan with fold down rear seat that allowed sleeping between trunk and passenger compartment. The challenges I ran into were that if you keep the car windows closed or even slightly cracked, moisture builds up inside and makes the car even colder than outside. You are going to have to get some sort of circulation going in the very cold environments to move the moisture out of the car. Also, use many down sleeping bags together for maximum warmth. I had 2 bags rated for well below 0 deg. Also, a 'p' bottle so that you don't have to break out of hibernation (and warmth) to go to bathroom.
    www.freeridesystems.com
    ski & ride jackets made in colorado
    maggot discount code TGR20
    ok we'll come up with a solution by then makers....

Quote Originally Posted by MiCol View Post
    I formerly used a 90's Subaru Legacy sedan with fold down rear seat that allowed sleeping between trunk and passenger compartment. The challenges I ran into were that if you keep the car windows closed or even slightly cracked, moisture builds up inside and makes the car even colder than outside. You are going to have to get some sort of circulation going in the very cold environments to move the moisture out of the car. Also, use many down sleeping bags together for maximum warmth. I had 2 bags rated for well below 0 deg. Also, a 'p' bottle so that you don't have to break out of hibernation (and warmth) to go to bathroom.

I used to sleep in a Nissan Sentra in the Vail parking garages years ago. Lived in Denver and rode Vail over 100 days while holding a job and school full time. I had a hot pot that plugged into a converter so I could cook ramen noodles, and campbell's soup. To cut down on condensation and provide more heat than you think, get a candle lantern and some 9 hour candles. Don't undervalue a level sleeping surface. Sleeping in a reclined passenger seat will never be comfortable after about an hour and waking up to ride the next day you will be stiff and sore all over. If you have a warm bag, don't sleep in your thermals, take them off an throw them in the bottom of your bag. This way you don't sweat in them all night, but they are nice and warm in the morning. Get a pee bottle and/or park near the resort bathrooms. Also get a bootwarmer/dryer that will plug into your cigarette lighter, or a converter.

Name:  340526b_t.jpg
Views: 1450
Size:  3.2 KB

This little nugget is in our local paper.

1948 Teardrop trailer. Mostly original, new tires and coupler $1800.

This is where I found my 4wheel. Started at $2k. I got it for $500
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

This thread is awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Scientist View Post
    Parked down the way in Aspen; MT plates:

Name:	DSC_1427.jpg 
Views:	2136 
Size:	1.40 MB 
ID:	119684
    Saw this same rig lumbering up an Iowa hill just outside Omaha. Up a small, but steep hill from the Missouri River, maybe 40mph.

Yeah the condensation issue had been on my mind. Im going to see what the best solution would be for a level sleeping platform. Pic's Will follow. I was considering running a small fan as well, to keep things circulating.

saw this beast this summer...jealous of living in a space dumpster

Last edited by DeathVan; 08-29-2012 at 12:46 PM.