Page 73 of 508 FirstFirst ... 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 ... LastLast
Results 1,801 to 1,825 of 12696
    ^^^His pictures looked ridiculous. Lots of stuck in mud campers.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Here's day 1 pics. Links to the other days inside:

http://expeditionportal.com/overland-expo-2015-day-one/
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    I have a friend at this thing:
    http://www.overlandexpo.com
    Seems perfect for the folks in this thread. Any of you guys go? Seems stupid to me, but whatever.
    Me and my wife went down Sunday (we live in Flagstaff), the weather turned out gorgeous. The weather last weekend was indeed horrible on Friday and some snow on Saturday; there were lots of muddy machines and people. Irrigation boots were the things to have.

If you're into anything related to camping, 4 wheeling, adventure off roading, etc. etc., it was not stupid at all. There's something for everyone. It's really cool to see all the different variations on roof top tents, overland machines, truck pop up campers, Jeeps. There were lots of products for suspension, coolers, tires, just all sorts of stuff.

We talked to the guys from Four Wheel Camper for a while, about how to build out our Hawk shell so it's ready for ski season next winter. Lots of great ideas.

Definitely not a waste of time!

Quote Originally Posted by Andyski View Post
    Stupid question: will that just trap the moisture between the carpet and cap? Yes, the carpet should be perfectly flush against the shell, but the shape of this shell will make that damn near impossible.
    If you use indoor/outdoor, it should be permeable. It'll get damp from moisture, but it won't drip on you, and since it's designed to get wet, it won't rot or mold.

Quote Originally Posted by ricorides View Post
    Me and my wife went down Sunday (we live in Flagstaff), the weather turned out gorgeous. The weather last weekend was indeed horrible on Friday and some snow on Saturday; there were lots of muddy machines and people. Irrigation boots were the things to have.

If you're into anything related to camping, 4 wheeling, adventure off roading, etc. etc., it was not stupid at all. There's something for everyone. It's really cool to see all the different variations on roof top tents, overland machines, truck pop up campers, Jeeps. There were lots of products for suspension, coolers, tires, just all sorts of stuff.

We talked to the guys from Four Wheel Camper for a while, about how to build out our Hawk shell so it's ready for ski season next winter. Lots of great ideas.

Definitely not a waste of time!
    I agree. I didn't get what kind of thing my friend was going to. After further review it would be a blast to go to.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Or, at the other end of the spectrum from Sportsmobiles and Earthroamers, is a Geo Metro:

http://truckyeah.jalopnik.com/this-g...-fo-1705793497
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Question for you guys with dually rear ends. We had that set up on a 2001 Chinook and found that the traction was lousy, the brakes were inadequate (at least for that beast) and the clearance bewween the rear wheels made it a bitch to install cables or chains on the outer wheels. Lighter rigs better? We traded it for an Escape Trailer which we will leave in the lowlands and drive the RAV4 up to the passes.

^ Props to the metro guy.

Been doing some researches on this whole caRV thing and ended up snagging an 05 element on the way back from a trip to Rifle/Moad earlier this month. Platform is built for sleeping and storage (6 large rubbermaids go under the platform), roof storage basket is now on. Taking it down to St. George this weekend to chase sunny weather and get some climbing/carmping in. Will post some pics, excited to test out the new system.

Quote Originally Posted by yardsale2 View Post
    Question for you guys with dually rear ends. We had that set up on a 2001 Chinook and found that the traction was lousy, the brakes were inadequate (at least for that beast) and the clearance bewween the rear wheels made it a bitch to install cables or chains on the outer wheels. Lighter rigs better? We traded it for an Escape Trailer which we will leave in the lowlands and drive the RAV4 up to the passes.
    No reason to have the dually unless you moving large weight. I've driven fully loaded F350/450/550 dually pickups and when you get them loaded physics takes over and getting them stopped is a chore and requires a different, much more defensive driving style (leaving more distance, braking early, not getting as much speed to begin with, etc). GVWR on a F350 dually is ~14,000 pounds, at a certain point you can only make the disc brakes so large on those trucks.

I always found the rear ends to be very difficult to break loose in most application but we always had Toyo M55's on our trucks or equivalent.

Lighter rigs are easier to drive, stop faster, require less driver thought, and for any given application, I would rather drive a single wheel rear axle. Any sort of application where you are taking a dually off road there is a chance (high chance actually) that you will pick up a rock that fits exactly between the tires and will pop one of the tires off of the bead. Or, it will come flying out at high speed when you get back onto a gravel/paved road and blow through your fender.
    "These are crazy times Mr Hatter, crazy times. Crazy like Buddha! Muwahaha!"

Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    I have a friend at this thing:
    http://www.overlandexpo.com
    Seems perfect for the folks in this thread. Any of you guys go? Seems stupid to me, but whatever.
    Went after they stopped doing the sportsmobile only rallies-my take-lotta khaki and a lot of people with insane rigs. That being said not my trip. The rallies were always in cool places-moab/copper canyon mexico/silverton/and the last one was Kamus utah. That is where i met the overland crew.

Saw this custom build roll by, then saw them @ the local home Depot. Not sure if they were there to fight, but sweet set up. Anyone ever see a box like that? Seems like it was built for a mod on that type chassis.

Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Natures peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop away from you like the leaves of Autumn. - John Muir

"How long can it last? For fuck sake this isn't heroin -
    suck it up princess" - XXX on getting off mj

“This is infinity here,” he said. “It could be infinity. We don’t really don’t know. But it could be. It has to be something — but it could be infinity, right?” - Trump, on the vastness of space, man

Quote Originally Posted by 29715149 View Post
    Attachment 157191Just moved to Seattle, purchased a forest river RPod to access some of the ski resort lots this winter. Seems pretty dope thus far, need to make some modifications to make sure it is winter/freeze proof.

Heres a a pic from stevens pass today....Attachment 157187
    How you like the Rpod so far?

Thinking of a 178

Marin born -> Chico State -> CH -> France -> Truckee
    Nice RPOD! I just picked this up 3 days ago. The reason I'm stoked on the trailer is I still have my truck bed for storage of bikes and gear.

This little thing is even an easy tow for my Taco-

Gonna be some fun projects and renovations this summer.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1433005178.560946.jpg 
Views:	295 
Size:	439.5 KB 
ID:	167545

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1433005128.602387.jpg 
Views:	279 
Size:	800.6 KB 
ID:	167544
    "Can switching to Geico really save you 15% or more on car insurance?"

"Do people really call 911 thinking they will get seen faster in the ER?"

Wife and I just got this. Quigley is doing 4x4 conversions but not sure we can manage that. So winter use will most likely not happen as much as I would like.

Nice work^^^^^. Wow that is the bones for an incredible rig. Love it.

^^^ I am, what do the kids say these days?

jelly?
    In search of the elusive artic powder weasel ...

Finally pulled the trigger on a Honda Element rather than a 4runner. I found a too good of deal to pass up in comparison to the 4runner's I was looking at. I can take the sacrifice of 4wheeling capability for the interior of the Element. Now, just need to get a list of spots I can stealth camp around Colorado in for the upcoming winter season.

Works just fine with the platform / underneath storage & roof basket. Plenty of room for gear, bed, cooler, water reservoir, etc. Pup was lounging in back most of the time, think he's a fan.

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1433089361.453683.jpg 
Views:	563 
Size:	1.04 MB 
ID:	167551

Quote Originally Posted by -Devin- View Post
    Wife and I just got this. Quigley is doing 4x4 conversions but not sure we can manage that. So winter use will most likely not happen as much as I would like.

Just put a lot of weight over the rear axle and you will do ok in snow.
    You do know that you could have ordered the Sprinter factory 4x4 ,which is much cheaper ( I think about 6k)than the Quigley conversion
    picador

Quote Originally Posted by Bromontana View Post
    Works just fine with the platform / underneath storage & roof basket. Plenty of room for gear, bed, cooler, water reservoir, etc. Pup was lounging in back most of the time, think he's a fan.

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1433089361.453683.jpg 
Views:	563 
Size:	1.04 MB 
ID:	167551
    That's why I like this thing. I'm doing solo op's from mine..so I'll be building a one man sleeping platform to free up more space. Building my own roof cross bars soon(can't justify spending $150-200 on plastic roof rack bars so $50 in hardware will work for me) and hopefully looking for a decent used Thule/roof box to throw up there for ski gear. Do you have any modifications in yours as far as power goes(inverter etc?).

No power mods, just doing weekend trips so far and the engine is pretty quiet for when things need to be charged. I'd check the forums of element owners for ideas. Good move on the roof bars.

Quote Originally Posted by Tryingtostaywarm View Post
    That's why I like this thing. I'm doing solo op's from mine..so I'll be building a one man sleeping platform to free up more space. Building my own roof cross bars soon(can't justify spending $150-200 on plastic roof rack bars so $50 in hardware will work for me) and hopefully looking for a decent used Thule/roof box to throw up there for ski gear. Do you have any modifications in yours as far as power goes(inverter etc?).

I saw a DIY rig that used a computer UPS for power. I guess it works for short term power and you don't need to do any wiring.

Quote Originally Posted by jon gaper View Post
    Just put a lot of weight over the rear axle and you will do ok in snow.
    You do know that you could have ordered the Sprinter factory 4x4 ,which is much cheaper ( I think about 6k)than the Quigley conversion
    We wanted a Sprinter for a long time but the nearest dealer is over three hours away. And well..... it is a Mercedes dealer.

Who's rig is this? I don't think I've ever seen a pop up on a snow cat. Genius!

http://denver.craigslist.org/snw/5047168792.html

That's awesome, can't resist linking some of the pics..