Page 413 of 510 FirstFirst ... 408 409 410 411 412 413 414 415 416 417 418 ... LastLast
Results 10,301 to 10,325 of 12727
    Quote Originally Posted by JayPowHound View Post
    We need a stove.
    I try to keep my set up as simple and cheap as possible. Get a rubbermade action packer (or other robust bin) that you can fit all of your cooking gear in. I use a colman propane single burner because it is cheap ($50), works, and is relatively small. Rather than disposable propane cans, I use flame king refillable 1 pound cans. Or you could get a 5 pound tank to avoid having to do the refill yourself. For cookware, I have a pot to boil water, cast iron skillet, and an enameled dutch oven (lodge for $60, enameled so it is good for reheating soups/stews that I premake). I also have a cheap foldable wind screen for the stove. All of this fits in the action packer and you can cook just about anything at a low cost.

Second thought is a sink.
    I use two rubbermade dish pans. The first pan I use biodegradable soap to wash (and can dump it anywhere without killing the vegetation). The second is a rinse and I put a drop of diluted bleach water in it to help disinfect. Then towel dry. Combined with a 5 gallon water carrier and this is a simple, cheap way to do dishes.

Quote Originally Posted by jackattack View Post
    I was hoping that ford would fit their powerboost hybrid that’s in the f150 to the transit awd. I would be the first in line to order one if they do.
    I'm glad Ford didn't hybrid the Winnebago EKKO Transit that I put a deposit on a couple months ago for estimated mid 2023 delivery. The thing is too expensive as it is, but it is built on a Transit cutaway chassis, 350HD AWD duelly with the V6 3.5L twin turbo.

Second thought is a sink. Are there reasonable self-contained options to wash dishes next to the car that won't break the bank? I have lightweight collapsible bladders and that's about it.
    when it's just me I use a combo of dog then paper towel then disposable wipe (dog not required but helpful). you can use disinfectant wipes, but i just use natural unscented. using this method with a family probably means yer gonna die, though.

but it would work for some easier cleanup meals when you don't feel like busting out a sink.
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

We need a stove. Sure I've done everything from baking bread to frying chicken on my trusty Ole Whisperlite, but this type of trip gives me the excuse for an upgrade.

I have been around and used the traditional 2 burner coleman plenty over the past 30 years, but it seems like there are so many more options these days.

Thinking something like this will cover most needs

https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/bass...rill-and-stove

but there are so many different styles I'm kinda lost.

Griddle would be nice for breakfast.

Small can rather than full propane tank for sure.

Tabletop Vs. Legs? Both?

$200 max.

Second thought is a sink. Are there reasonable self-contained options to wash dishes next to the car that won't break the bank? I have lightweight collapsible bladders and that's about it.

What should I be looking at?

I'm totally out of my element here..
    We've had a Coleman burner+grill (similar to that Bass Pro) for a decade and it's been great. Ours has a big grill grate, but no griddle accessory, but we always bring a big cast iron pan when camping for that purpose. If you want simplicity and cheap, I'd just go with a standard Coleman 2-burner and bring a cast iron/pan from home.

That Bass pro one doesn't seem to have impressed the reviewers, but it does seem to be a rebadged Camp Chef (which has good reviews). This one seems to be a consistent favorite for the fancier stoves with higher output and a few more features than a basic Coleman: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004S3HDBO/?tag=20sbt-20

We have a table like this and it's been awesome for versatility: prep table, table for the coleman to go one while cooking, a place apps and whatnot during the day and we can eat at it if need be: https://www.steepandcheap.com/stoic-...g-dining-table

For washing, we're typically doing a two or three rubbermaid bin situation, on the table. But you can do a pretty nice setup with the foot pumps and 5gal buckets/basins: https://www.amazon.com/Tye-Works-Sta.../dp/B007QUJ7B0

What should I be looking at?

I'm totally out of my element here..

Our tent trailer has a 3 burner range top that is nice but I also have an old school 2 burner coleman stove that runs on white gas. You can probably do better with Camp Chef or the like but I am kind of fond of white gas because I don't have to mess around with the wasteful disposable propane canisters.

For dishes, we do like others have said. 2 dish pans, and a 5 gallon water jug. When I'm done cooking dinner, I'll boil a pot of water and add it to a dish pan with some soap and let everything soak. Then, before the water gets cold wash and a quick rinse.

A small foldable table is really nice for a camp kitchen. I have this one from coleman but if I was using for prep and holding the stove I would want a bigger one: https://www.amazon.com/Coleman-20000...s%2C134&sr=8-2

These pans are a bit bigger than what we use but you get the idea: https://www.amazon.com/Rubbermaid-29...s%2C133&sr=8-8

For water jugs, anything with a spigot will work. We have these: https://www.amazon.com/Reliance-Prod...s%2C130&sr=8-3

Re: 2-burner briefcase style camp stoves -- look at the BTU ratings on the burners, and be sure you're looking at BTU per burner, not for both combined. The cheapest ones tend to be really low output, like 6K-8K per burner. Takes awhile to even boil water for coffee with one of those, and the higher elevation you camp at, the worse they get.

I have a cheap Stansport propane one for the camper. Picked it solely based on the 20K BTU per burner. This is the closest I can find on Google -- 25K per burner -- maybe that's what mine is, maybe it's an upgraded model. Recommend using this hooked to a bulk propane tank.
    https://stansport.com/2-burner-propane-stove-212-50/
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by Buke View Post
    Our tent trailer has a 3 burner range top that is nice but I also have an old school 2 burner coleman stove that runs on white gas. You can probably do better with Camp Chef or the like but I am kind of fond of white gas because I don't have to mess around with the wasteful disposable propane canisters.

]
    The 2# green propane canisters are easy to refill many times. You chill them in your fridge, then connect to your BBQ tank with an adapter and invert it. Open the valve and hear the gas flow. Easy and no waste, plus it saves a ton of money.

GASPRO Propane Refill Adapter, Fill 1 Pound Bottles from 20lb Tank, Easy to Use, Solid Brass https://a.co/d/7CXS8P0
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

Homie is keeping it real. Bellingham.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20220725_145832.jpeg 
Views:	153 
Size:	141.2 KB 
ID:	422356

Go big or go home.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gotos.jpg 
Views:	145 
Size:	101.9 KB 
ID:	422357
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

^lol. fuck.

just because you can...
    embrace the gape
    and believe

Sweet jeebus. It’s like the poster child for why ‘crew cab for fatties to mall crawl’ and ‘short bed full size truck’ are symbols of society’s decline.
    Know of a pair of Fischer Ranger 107Ti 189s (new or used) for sale? PM me.

NFL QB Gardner Minshew is selling his bus that he's lived in all summer. He says it's "a tailgater, residence, and obviously and most tastefully as a love shack baby."

Asking $25k. Not sure if that includes a full sanitization or not.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CgcPAvjtGnM/

Quote Originally Posted by Supermoon View Post
    NFL QB Gardner Minshew is selling his bus that he's lived in all summer. He says it's "a tailgater, residence, and obviously and most tastefully as a love shack baby."

Asking $25k. Not sure if that includes a full sanitization or not.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CgcPAvjtGnM/
    Speaking of sanitation, to clean surfaces without using poisonous chemicals and/or copious amounts of water, I spray vinegar and then wipe the dishes or countertop with a paper towel. Vinegar is inexpensive and some grocery stores sell a stronger more concentrated vinegar, made specifically for cleaning.

Name:	D3D94333-9E67-4493-A1A7-B5F89DAF2147.jpg 
Views:	170 
Size:	1.02 MB 
ID:	422430

Name:	64FED6A7-C61D-436F-B1FA-B27F8AD4084F.jpg 
Views:	181 
Size:	908.7 KB 
ID:	422431

Complete F150 engine / 4x4 drivetrain. His company is listed on the back of the rig.
    Know of a pair of Fischer Ranger 107Ti 189s (new or used) for sale? PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by frorider View Post
    His company is listed on the back of the rig.
    Dude owns the Jet Propulsion Laboratory. That’s pretty baller.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

Another battery question. Right now we have two conventional vented 6 volt deep cycle battery's in our class C RV external battery storage compartment. Would adding two 6 volt AGM deep cycle batteries be compatible and can we keep them inside because they are AGM?

Quote Originally Posted by apex dave View Post
    Another battery question. Right now we have two conventional vented 6 volt deep cycle battery's in our class C RV external battery storage compartment. Would adding two 6 volt AGM deep cycle batteries be compatible and can we keep them inside because they are AGM?
    My knowledge is very much that of a non expert layman. The biggest difference between regular lead-acid batteries and AGM is that AGM require a higher rate of charge to get fully charged to capacity.

However having the AGM charge to almost full with a regular smart multi stage battery charger (with no AGM specific setting) has worked fine for my AGM 12v coach batteries and they get hooked to a lead-acid starting battery when traveling. I can also manually hook all my batteries together when parked and getting charged from my solar panel.

My 2 AGM batteries are not vented to the outside.

Despite what you'll read all over the internet AGM batters are not completely sealed and do vent hydrogen, which is combustible, but non-toxic. So you will see a lot of camper manufactures vent them to the outside just as you do with lead acid. But others don't. Mine are not vented.

It sounds like you just want to add 2 more 6 volt batteries so you will be making 2 12 volt batteries. 2 6 volt lead acid wired in series to make a 12 volt, and 2 6 volt AGM wired in series to make another 12 volt, and then the 2 12 volts wired in parallel (if you wired these in series you would be making a 24 volt system). Yes, that works. But because you are charging 2 different types of batteries there is no way you can charge both types correctly without making things way complicated (for instance, if you are using a charge controller to charge with solar what setting will you put it on? lead acid or AGM?). Just charge like the whole system is AGM, which is close enough to the lead acid settings. This may shorten the life span of the lead acid but oh well (they are the cheaper of the two types).

Generally, you want one type of battery for charging issues. You want to replace all your batteries at the same time (to avoid a parasitic battery shortening the life of your other batteries). And you want your batteries all in the same place (to make wiring easier and minimize voltage drop). But you don't have to follow these guidelines.

I think that combo might be more hassle than it's worth. You'd have to charge the AGM pair separately from the lead acid pair.

From what I recall, AGM charge at a lower voltage than lead acid deep cycle. Golf cart batteries should do a bulk charge, and then (on a smart charger) end on a high voltage (like 15-15.5V) to cause them to bubble, and offgas. That would be bad for AGM.

Get lithiums. At this point the extra cost is much less than it used to be, and the benefits are pretty big. I just put a 200ah one in the WinningBago. It weighs half as much as the 2x golf cart ones it replaced and has much more capacity since it can safely be discharged to 10%. Cost was $710.

Thanks for the input. I think I'll stick with what I have until they expire and then upgrade to lithium.

#novanlife now as we sold (peak van). But I did look at lithiums a few times as upgrades to our AGMs. How are you dudes handling cold weather charging? I thought you needed a separate battery management system on the battery side to tell your charger to reduce charge rate. Am I off here?

My situation was that I had to park outside where the batteries were regularly below freezing while we were not using it. I thought incorrect cold charging would cause permanent damage. Doing research for our next camper we buy when the economy tanks and we can pickup something cool for a song. Maybe wishful thinking...
    Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Well, I'm not allowed to delete this post, but, I can say, go fuck yourselves, everybody!

Lithiums def can't be charged when near or below freezing. Some of them have built in cold charge protection, but others don't. I'm using one without it, but have a remote monitor mounted directly to the battery that tells the solar charge controller what the temp & voltage are so that it will cut power if it gets cold. (Victron makes it easy but other systems are available.)

Further, since they can be mounted at most angles and don't require venting, they are easier to simply position inside of the living space, which presumably won't often be below freezing.

Quote Originally Posted by climberevan View Post

Further, since they can be mounted at most angles and don't require venting, they are easier to simply position inside of the living space, which presumably won't often be below freezing.
    That was the hang up I had. Parked outside below freezing. Running the propane house furnace all the time was not a good option. Maybe not a solution for my situation it seems.