Page 198 of 508 FirstFirst ... 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 ... LastLast
Results 4,926 to 4,950 of 12695
    Quote Originally Posted by simple View Post
    I got a sale question note on my van recently. Even though it is on blocks mid-repair. People want a 4x4 #vanlife
    yea they do
    mine is not 4x4. went fwd Promaster bc all my other vans have been 2wd and I've survived the past 20 yrs and had plenty of fun, but the minute there are better 4x4 options that aren't porsche level costs, I'm there
    skid luxury

dreamer....

the most beautiful place in the whole wide world
    Quote Originally Posted by Conundrum View Post
    Having had a slide in and a van, I like the van. I don't care about the image. I do like not getting out of the truck for everything and the van drives pretty well.
    Quote Originally Posted by b-bear View Post
    but in the winter not having to go outside is worth it's weight in gold for me
    this. I'm amazed how well our travato drives. and, casually getting out of bed in the morning in the winter and being able to take a leak, make coffee, have breakfast and get dressed in a warm van without getting outside is awesome. especially with the youngins in tow.

Quote Originally Posted by chaka View Post
    this. I'm amazed how well our travato drives. and, casually getting out of bed in the morning in the winter and being able to take a leak, make coffee, have breakfast and get dressed in a warm van without getting outside is awesome. especially with the youngins in tow.
    Coming from a truck camper to a van....this is what I am looking forward to the most. Especially easy on the kids too....they have space to stretch out and sleep while driving too, increases our range on weekends so much

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

it's annoying that vans are mainstream cool now bc I get lumped in with the dipshits, when people used to scoff at my vehicle choice.
    Truth. I remember a time when vans put out a rapey vibe, you could still buy a good Pass Gas hat, and Sierra Nevada only came in bottles. #doingitbeforeitwascool.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	10505206_10154803679740113_4076777882697152899_o.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	409.2 KB 
ID:	292003  

the most beautiful place in the whole wide world
    Truth. I remember a time when vans put out a rapey vibe, you could still buy a good Pass Gas hat, and Sierra Nevada only came in bottles. #doingitbeforeitwascool.
    Name:  grape van.jpg
Views: 610
Size:  88.9 KB

That's a really cool rig tho.....still on the road?

trucks are handy too but in the winter not having to go outside is worth it's weight in gold for me
    Wouldn't want to have to go outside on a ski trip!

But seriously, aside from moving from the driver's seat to the living quarters, why would you have to go outside in a slide in camper?

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post

But seriously, aside from moving from the driver's seat to the living quarters, why would you have to go outside in a slide in camper?
    You don't. But if we're talking about unnecessary luxuries, why would anyone need a slide in? Why not a topper with a 0* sleeping bag and a green coleman stove to cook on?

Quote Originally Posted by myles long View Post
    That's a really cool rig tho.....still on the road?

Hope so. Last known whereabouts was with an angler out of Ennis, MT.

You don't. But if we're talking about unnecessary luxuries, why would anyone need a slide in? Why not a topper with a 0* sleeping bag and a green coleman stove to cook on?
    Sure. But a topper is like $3k. My slide in was $7k. A van is a $70k build out.

I'd argue that a $4-5k bump in price to go from sleeping bag in a topper to a super comfy slide in is a no brainer. But an extra $60k just to be able to shuffle from the driver's seat to the bed without going outside seems like a bit much.

And the van still sucks at carrying firewood in the fall. Or towing anything heavy. Or carrying a bunch of dirty tools. Or doing any of the other things that pickups are useful for. But that's a different story.

That’s why I have a pickup and a van. I like my van to camp in and my pickup to do pickup things without having to take the slide in out.

I’m not telling anyone how to spend their money.

And there are plenty of used toppers on Craigslist for $500 depending on what type of pickup you drive. But then we could talk about why anyone would need a new pickup requiring a $3k topper when an old one would work.

I'd argue that a $4-5k bump in price to go from sleeping bag in a topper to a super comfy slide in is a no brainer. But an extra $60k just to be able to shuffle from the driver's seat to the bed without going outside seems like a bit much.

And the van still sucks at carrying firewood in the fall. Or towing anything heavy. Or carrying a bunch of dirty tools. Or doing any of the other things that pickups are useful for. But that's a different story.
    Nailed. This is my take as well. Trucks are versatile and useful all year. Expensive van builds are insane, IMO... but I'm not rich, nor do I have the bandwidth for both a truck and a van.

I'm sure they're nice inside, but fuck, that's a lot of money to roll down the road.

Let's see some more pics of the ski rigs.

I’m not telling anyone how to spend their money. I do like being judged on how I spend mine though.
    I hear you. I just see a lot of #millenials rolling around in their #vanlife as a daily driver because they can't afford a second vehicle because they're #broke because they spent all their money on a stupid van that cost 10x more than a much more practical camping setup. It seems #dumb.

Solid gen x'er here with no car loans. My advice...be stoked about all the clowns with expensive vans. I'm upgrading my van in a couple years on the cheap when the recession hits.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by Norseman View Post
    Trucks are versatile and useful all year. Expensive van builds are insane, IMO...
    Ha, right, because there is literally no shades of gray in there...

Solid gen x'er here with no car loans. My advice...be stoked about all the clowns with expensive vans. I'm upgrading my van in a couple years on the cheap when the recession hits.
    This is the Millenial with no car loans plan as well. Just hoping the old Astro makes it to then. It's way the fuck better than sleeping in my buddies truck bed with a topper or shitty slide-in pop-top. Now if you've got a full-size truck that can handle a hardsided camper, that's a different story. But you're not buying a nice hard-sided slide in and an F250 for south of 15-20K around these parts.

My 5K all-in setup is simple. You don't get a pickup truck setup as comfy for 5k. I reach over and start it up in the AM to get my boots warm. Pull out the mimosas, make some coffee, and only get out once I'm bundled up and need to take a shit.

Name:  44099996_10101631685356290_4559145408617512960_n.jpg
Views: 721
Size:  73.5 KB
    Name:  30516761_10101500098552300_5515449451460216198_n.jpg
Views: 722
Size:  47.3 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I would love a nice van once retirement hits - here is hoping #vanlife blows over leaving many a nice van for sale. I am thinking a little 10-12ft cargo trailer behind an 4x4 van would have me and the MRs set for most of the year of travels

Now though - I just want to limit the number of engines I need to maintain. What with:
    -truck
    -mrs' pos Subaru
    -motorbikes
    -sleds

not to mention the bike collection, ski collection, kids and wife's bike and ski collection and a house - if you are a bit obsessive compulsive on the maintenance side of things - you can spend your entire weekend wrenching, repairing and not doing. I think this is where the phrase "first world problems" originated.

The truck and trailer are both very low maintenance - so that works for me for now.

Quote Originally Posted by ACH View Post
    Ha, right, because there is literally no shades of gray in there...
    Aimed at the $70k bro-club... you know what I mean. Whether that's an "up-fitted" van or a shiny new truck, it just feels antithetical to my ideals of ski-soul.

I love seeing the older vans and RVs out there in the snow. Your Tiger was the main inspiration for my own rig.

$100k vans just scream DWEEB to me. Maybe my opinion will change one day.

ha- not even on ski trips- just when I drive to the hill.
    I'm in no way am knocking the truck if that's what you dig. I just dig the van

while it's not a "cool" van, my van cost $32k brand new and we've put probably $7-8k into it. we kept ours fairly open/ basic to work for whatever we need it to work out for.
    skid luxury

Quote Originally Posted by Norseman View Post
    Aimed at the $70k bro-club... you know what I mean. Whether that's an "up-fitted" van or a shiny new truck, it just feels antithetical to my ideals of ski-soul.

I love seeing the older vans and RVs out there in the snow. Your Tiger was the main inspiration for my own rig.

$100k vans just scream DWEEB to me. Maybe my opinion will change one day.
    Yeah, I don't disagree at all, just fun to poke at you a little from afar...

And, what Conundrum said relative to the future secondary market.
    Especially if a recession hits, which economists are discussing a lot right now.

ha- not even on ski trips- just when I drive to the hill.
    I'm in no way am knocking the truck if that's what you dig. I just dig the van
    I relate to this 100%

while it's not a "cool" van, my van cost $32k brand new and we've put probably $7-8k into it. we kept ours fairly open/ basic to work for whatever we need it to work out for.
    IDK, i think it makes it moar c00l, but I'm a weirdo - so, pay not attention to me.

Lots of subtle dick waving happening. Thanks Toast for acting like "I don't get it" to stoke that easy fire.

There is no one best way to do it. Regardless, you are finding a way to buck the mainstream. No matter how popular it seems it is still a counter culture movement which in my opinion is always cool. TGR loves to act cooler than cool by flexing their e-peen. Whatever, just go hate on Outside magazine or Epic/Ikon to get your fix. Ha

Lots of subtle dick waving happening. Thanks Toast for acting like "I don't get it" to stoke that easy fire.
    In fairness, rolling around in a $150k van is a not particularly subtle waive of the dick. It's basically the new Hummer.

But most of the vans on here are far more reasonably priced and clearly awesome. Don't get me wrong - I get the attraction. And there may well come a time when I don't need the utility of a pickup truck, so owning a van makes more sense. But until then, I feel it is my obligation to (in good humor) poke fun at the #vanlife movement for managing to combine a "back to nature" mentality with totally over the top consumerism draped in a blanket of glamping.

Speaking of truck campers

https://m.pinkbike.com/news/vehicle-...wer-wagon.html

Dope little set up!

Speaking of truck campers

https://m.pinkbike.com/news/vehicle-...wer-wagon.html

Dope little set up!
    I think that I've seen that setup in Moab. We all laughed that the dude puts his name on the side of the truck with all his spancers. Gave us a chuckle. I mean, even you are sponsored and a fancy pro dude who gets his camper paid for, who does that? At least be a little subtle.