Page 9 of 508 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast
    Alright, had to finally post in this thread - Some awesome rigs in here.

I also had a big hardon for a Sportsmobile, but couldn't really find the right rig - '03 and earlier, great 7.3 diesel motor, shitty Quigley suspension. '04 and later, great SMB suspension, shitty 6.0 diesel motor. Get a 2wd van and do the conversion myself, I'm just reinventing the wheel. What to do?

And then this summer I went for a ride in an ambulance strapped to a backboard, and as I looked around my limited field of view, gorked on morphine, I thought "I could work with this"

Long story short, bought a used ambulance in San Antonio, and drove it to Asheville, NC to Ujoint off road for a 4x4 conversion - http://www.ujointoffroad.com/home.html

I fly out the day after Christmas to pick it up, will be hauling ass back across the country, expect to be in Colorado by Tues or Wed, definitely in Silverton by Thursday the 30th. A LOT of work to do so that it will be fully self contained by next winter, gut the interior, heat/ac/stove/fridge/h2o/etc.

Build thread is here on Expedition Portal:

[ame="http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=52034"]New shop.... Next project!! - Expedition Portal Forum[/ame]

The sketched vision:

Life is tough. It's tougher when you're stupid

^^^^^Nice! Looking forward to the real deal pics.

I don't think the morphine had anything to do with your vision - that is a great platform for a live-aboard. I've many times thought the same thing when seeing an ambulance or panel truck. Keeping an eye on your progress - good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Trackhead View Post
    Waiting for new transfer case gears and a 3" Deaver spring kit.
    That went from a Samari to a Ninja, very cool. Does it throw stars?

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Track. Give us an interior shot when you can...looks very cool!

Quote Originally Posted by philth View Post
    Track. Give us an interior shot when you can...looks very cool!
    Yes and one with the top up. That little sucker looks rad.

I notice there weren't any lasers, rocket engines or other (bacon maybe?) such fanciful design ideas in your Ambulance of Death concept sketch. I'm rather disappointed. Other than that it's quite a stokeworthy project. The UJoint Offroad stuff makes Quigley look pretty weak. I want to see this thing chasing powder!
    Life is simple. Go Explore.

Westfalia ripoff.

Nice thread. This is my Summit County stealth van. If anyone knows of any more parking spots there, hook a brother up, I'm always looking for more.

Quote Originally Posted by swampthing View Post
    Nice thread. This is my Summit County stealth van. If anyone knows of any more parking spots there, hook a brother up, I'm always looking for more.

Pretty nice stealth setup. Where do you park mostly?

Having a false electrician or painting business on the side may help you get away with parking in more spots.
    Isocrates: “Democracy destroys itself because it abuses its right to freedom and equality. Because it teaches its citizens to consider audacity as a right, lawlessness as a freedom, abrasive speech as equality, and anarchy as progress.”

[QUOTE=Having a false electrician or painting business on the side may help you get away with parking in more spots. [/QUOTE]

The only sign I have says Free Candy.

Get this on the side, and you'll be all set.

Isocrates: “Democracy destroys itself because it abuses its right to freedom and equality. Because it teaches its citizens to consider audacity as a right, lawlessness as a freedom, abrasive speech as equality, and anarchy as progress.”

Life is simple. Go Explore.

How does it get around in the snow? That's not the AWD version, is it?

All I want is to be hardcore.

www.tonystreks.com

Hobie-I've been following your build for awhile. Excited to see pics after the rear axle is in place.
    Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Well, I'm not allowed to delete this post, but, I can say, go fuck yourselves, everybody!

Quote Originally Posted by hitek79 View Post
    How does it get around in the snow? That's not the AWD version, is it?
    can't speak for swampthings van, but I have a 05 2wd E150 and it dose great in the snow especially with a full tank of gas. But I do wish I had 4wd, putting chains on is perhaps my least enjoyable task in life.

Quote Originally Posted by Soup Nazi View Post
    I live in this puppy all winter long.

Yes, I'm aware of the padiddle. I got it fixed.
    Wow! You are amazing man! You can sleep in that kind of place? Really amazing!

©FLTLNDR

My puppy got her tags today. The guy at the reg couldn't believe this was available:

flat' land' er (noun)
    Whereas, while a flatlander may reside in Vermont for nearly an entire lifetime, and make an indelible contribution to the quality of life in this state, a flatlander still has not earned the right to be called a native Vermonter, and...
    Last edited by boltonoutlaw; 12-29-2010 at 10:37 PM. Reason: Proper placement of accent grave, n'est-ce pas?

trackhead's samurai and that child-molester van are awesome! I don't have anything that cool. But I was psyched when the missus demanded we buy a pickup truck that we could sleep in so we could go on longer ski missions.

Put a low-rise topper on used <edit>'06 2nd-gen base model 4x4 Tacoma. Added a 4way hinged platform that separates wet&dry gear underneath. With the hinged platform we can access all the gear in the bed through the side pop-up windows.

Dog lives nicely in the extended-cab seat.

First mission was 9days driving around Newfoundland scoping for winter lines....we'll return soon.

It's a 6' bed, and I'm 6'1", so it's tight, but it works for now.
    Last edited by somerandomskinner; 12-30-2010 at 12:13 PM.

[IMG][/IMG]

Nice setup, somerandomskier! I had something similar in a 2WD but never used it 'cause I had a 4WD subaru.

Quote Originally Posted by somerandomskinner View Post
    trackhead's samurai and that child-molester van are awesome! I don't have anything that cool. But I was psyched when the missus demanded we buy a pickup truck that we could sleep in so we could go on longer ski missions.

Put a low-rise topper on used '96 2nd-gen base model 4x4 Tacoma. Added a 4way hinged platform that separates wet&dry gear underneath. With the hinged platform we can access all the gear in the bed through the side pop-up windows.

Dog lives nicely in the extended-cab seat.

First mission was 9days driving around Newfoundland scoping for winter lines....we'll return soon.

It's a 6' bed, and I'm 6'1", so it's tight, but it works for now.
    nice man. i just bought a new 2011 Tacoma off road package. Got the access cab. Ordered the straight back canopy for it though. Preferred it over the low-rise (looks wise for me and the gf). Mind snapping a few shos of the actual framing for the bed? Havent decided if ill build a bed like that yet. Not sure if yours has it but my 2011 has a "slot" near the front for a 2x8 to go across so was almost thinking of getting away using small risers and then a 2x12 with a wider sheet of plywood across to create a shelf where the feet can just go under the shelf. Put a lip around it...say 8" high and could even toss a lid with hinges on it and a lock. Hmmmm ideas. Then just making a little "dam" by the wheel going back to the tailgate to toss the wet boots and such. Witht he rear of the access cab for most storage dont really need much in the back for me personally.

Somerandomskinner - thats a '96 Taco? I thought that body style and fender flare didn't come out until 2005 . . .

Nice set-up though - had the same design in my '85 Toy, until the northern winters finally consumed her. 450+k km of Canuckistan backroads.

Quote Originally Posted by BCMountainHound View Post
    Somerandomskinner - thats a '96 Taco? I thought that body style and fender flare didn't come out until 2005 . . . .
    by '96 I of course mean '06. that didn't come through in the telepathy?

Quote Originally Posted by 02sedona View Post
    [IMG][/IMG]
    Hey!!! I think I recognize that camper... How's it working for you?
    Don't ask.... Don't tele