Page 97 of 510 FirstFirst ... 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 ... LastLast
Results 2,401 to 2,425 of 12727
    Quote Originally Posted by nobueno View Post
    Insulate and ventilate.

I'd say option 2. You'll want plenty of hanging storage to help stuff dry. Plus when it's decent outside you can have a little deck out the back doors with easy access to kitchen and gear.
    Got the insulation going. Maxxfann and propane heater on the way. Will post pics when things get interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by kai_ski View Post
    Have you seen Paul Jensen's work? He does great, basic conversions. His blog is good and shows at least one complete conversion. Could give you some ideas for your van.

http://pauljensencustom.blogspot.com...-sprinter.html
    I've looked at Paul's stuff. Dude does some really nice work. There's a mountain of build info out there. Lots of ideas look good on paper and everybody is psyched on their build on day 1 - guess I'm more interested in "lessons learned". Things like "converting the couch into a bed and back every day is annoying" or "floor to ceiling closets are great but we wish the layout was more open, it feels like a tunnel" etc. These guys do a pretty good job of going into the detail of what worked and what didn't, but again, no winter camping: http://www.buildagreenrv.com/

Anybody live full-time in a camper here? I am thinking about cutting my rent losses, and getting a pull-behind for my truck, or go hard-side truck camper for my only place of residence(think RV park). I am sometimes gone for up to 6-9 months a year where I am paying rent for no reason. I do have a place I can store my truck + camper for free for an indefinite amount of time. So, I could theoretically leave for work for 1-9 months where ever, stow camper + truck for free, come back and start a RV park month lot rent for what looks to be $200-400 a month depending. No lease. No land lord issues.

The wife and I are planning to transition to full-timing next May after she finishes her Master's. Depending on the opportunities that present either in one location or traveling (think travel nursing). We actually just picked up a 28' 1979 Avion in killer shape. Been meaning to post it here but between getting it home, starting work on it, and working overtime before vacation I haven't found the time. It seems like a much better way than transitioning between temporary housing to us.
    I think there is someone on here full-timing but their username slips my mind at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by snowaddict91 View Post
    (think travel nursing).
    I think there is someone on here full-timing but their username slips my mind at the moment.
    Trackhead was doing that plan for a bit. Is that who you're thinking of?

Quote Originally Posted by Tryingtostaywarm View Post
    Anybody live full-time in a camper here? I am thinking about cutting my rent losses, and getting a pull-behind for my truck, or go hard-side truck camper for my only place of residence(think RV park). I am sometimes gone for up to 6-9 months a year where I am paying rent for no reason. I do have a place I can store my truck + camper for free for an indefinite amount of time. So, I could theoretically leave for work for 1-9 months where ever, stow camper + truck for free, come back and start a RV park month lot rent for what looks to be $200-400 a month depending. No lease. No land lord issues.
    where is an rv park for 200-400?
    basic campsites are that much or more
    picador

Quote Originally Posted by jon gaper View Post
    where is an rv park for 200-400?
    basic campsites are that much or more
    Colorado Springs. I think you might be confusing a touristy RV park or campsite that has a nice view w/ a low-end white trash trailer/rv park in the middle of the city which is what I am looking for.
    Last edited by Tryingtostaywarm; 08-14-2016 at 02:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by abraham View Post
    Trackhead was doing that plan for a bit. Is that who you're thinking of?
    Yup that's who it was.
    Here's a pic of my new setup. 1979 Avion 28' we just picked up behind my 97 7.3 (have had the truck for a while)

She spent 20 years or so in a barn and is in very good condition inside. Wife is doing a light remodel, mostly painting and updating appearance stuff, and we will rework the rear twin bed setup into a queen with a ton of storage, since we are planning to full time. She dove right in to working on it so we haven't used it at all yet.
    Full timing will start some time next summer if everything works out. I would love to get it out later this fall, but I have a maintenance list to take care of on the tow rig too so we shall see.

Tow rig is nearly as spacious as the trailer! Is that '97 naturally aspirated or one of the early turbo models? Either way, it's hawt!
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

Quote Originally Posted by Cruiser View Post
    Tow rig is nearly as spacious as the trailer! Is that '97 naturally aspirated or one of the early turbo models? Either way, it's hawt!
    She's got a turbo, psd with turbo started in 94.5. I love this truck for what I have in it. Unfortunately, its at the shop to get a trans fluid leak addressed today.

I saw a buddy's Provan Tiger XL this weekend, and gawdamn, did I fall in love. Built on the Astro van body.

AWD. Sleeping space for 4. Hard-sided (no pop-top). RV-like amenities without the Class C size. Walk-through to living area.

Is there anything else out there that offers the above combination of features -- that doesn't cost 50K?? (Cabover campers can count - but only if you can actually get from cab to camper without exiting the vehicle.)

Looking for a winter-oriented solution for my wife and twin daughters (3 yo). Oh yeah. Me too.

It looked like this:
    Name:  Eo0euwN.jpg
Views: 3261
Size:  39.4 KB

I'd love a Tiger Bengal but I can't find one used for under 6 figures
    Last edited by simple; 08-16-2016 at 08:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by snowaddict91 View Post
    She's got a turbo, psd with turbo started in 94.5. I love this truck for what I have in it. Unfortunately, its at the shop to get a trans fluid leak addressed today.
    Yessir. I had a 94' non-psd 7.3 w/ turbo. I probably should've never sold that thing..or my 91.5' Dodge W250 12 valve. I like the camper, I am torn between buying one and ditching the apartment here soon. As a single guy with literally no belongings besides gear and clothes, I figure I can do it easily with a 20-24' after looking at them..the ones with a big slide-out seem pretty nice.
    Last edited by Tryingtostaywarm; 08-16-2016 at 10:54 PM.

I want that
    skid luxury

I'll read through the threads here over the next few days but anyone have any information on 2002 VW Westfalia's? Specific problems to look for, etc. I've got a few friends that have other vintages. There is one down the street for sale and I talked to the owner today.

It's red so I'm not worried about how fast it'll go.

Wyo mags - are these diamonds in the rough?

http://www.publicsurplus.com/sms/all...ew?auc=1664517
    http://www.publicsurplus.com/sms/all...ew?auc=1665251

Lifted, long bodies, high-ceiling, lifts/parts to sell for $$$. Maybe they're actually in terrible shape, but maybe they're just neglected. Might be worth chasing leads regarding who owned them previously: http://www.wysil.org/meetourstaff/lander-office-staff/ ??

Wow, how about the Zebra Safarimobile?

http://denver.craigslist.org/cto/5739592128.html

He says it 'needs lots of work' but then proceeds to not disclose what that might be. I thought these platforms were pretty reliable....

the most beautiful place in the whole wide world
    this thread is awesome. thanks to everyone for their contributions.

I tried an in thread search but came up dry.

Looking for a sleeps 4, seats 4 class B, with wet bath, galley, and winterization, good gas mileage (relative of course).
    Custom options, preferably on a Sprinter 4x4 chassis:
    Thoughts on CO CamperVans? Seems a pop top conversion provides the a really functional sleeping option. I have a request for info in, fingers crossed its even close to an already absurd budget
    Sportsmobile of course... but hoping CO CamperVans may be a bit more creative, flexible. Big plus for going custom: possibility of internal mtn bike storage under rear platform bed
    other custom options I'm missing?

Stock: I think there are two. Roadtrek and Winnie Travato. We did a walk through of a Travato 59G, and were impressed by the functionality, layout. Appears to have the latest efficient touches, good storage, and a nice clean, spartan interior. You would give up 4wd with the promaster chassis but maybe could get by with studded tires on the front axle in the winter months, assuming I could do some basic winterization mods. The water tank is inside but the lines are external. Not sure WTF is up with the stated warranty (12 month?!?). Used Roadtrek Adventurous models can be found but I think the captain's seat sleeping conversions are wonky, probably fine for little tikes but not teens.

Interested to hear thoughts on the above please! thanks in advance.

Yes, all the options above are an absurd amount of $

Quote Originally Posted by Chaka View Post
    this thread is awesome. thanks to everyone for their contributions.

I tried an in thread search but came up dry.

Looking for a sleeps 4, seats 4 class B, with wet bath, galley, and winterization, good gas mileage (relative of course).
    Custom options, preferably on a Sprinter 4x4 chassis:
    Thoughts on CO CamperVans? Seems a pop top conversion provides the a really functional sleeping option. I have a request for info in, fingers crossed its even close to an already absurd budget
    Sportsmobile of course... but hoping CO CamperVans may be a bit more creative, flexible. Big plus for going custom: possibility of internal mtn bike storage under rear platform bed
    other custom options I'm missing?

Stock: I think there are two. Roadtrek and Winnie Travato. We did a walk through of a Travato 59G, and were impressed by the functionality, layout. Appears to have the latest efficient touches, good storage, and a nice clean, spartan interior. You would give up 4wd with the promaster chassis but maybe could get by with studded tires on the front axle in the winter months, assuming I could do some basic winterization mods. The water tank is inside but the lines are external. Not sure WTF is up with the stated warranty (12 month?!?). Used Roadtrek Adventurous models can be found but I think the captain's seat sleeping conversions are wonky, probably fine for little tikes but not teens.

Interested to hear thoughts on the above please! thanks in advance.

Yes, all the options above are an absurd amount of $

You can check out this blog for a heavily modified Travatohttp://www.thefitrv.com/rv-tips/the-...proof-travato/

CO CamperVan has a mixed reputation. There are plenty of threads on Expo and Sportsmobile forum with folks sharing how much they love their CCV top, and a less frequent but still surprising number of threads detailing shoddy craftsmanship and poor customer service. Odds are probably in your favor and if you're local there's less risk involved, but you've been warned. Their top is a unique product, and really your only option if you hope to sleep and seat 4 comfortably. That said, I'd be nervous about a CCV top on a high roof 4x4 sprinter - that's a lot of weight up high on an already tall vehicle.

Quote Originally Posted by North View Post
    CO CamperVan has a mixed reputation. There are plenty of threads on Expo and Sportsmobile forum with folks sharing how much they love their CCV top, and a less frequent but still surprising number of threads detailing shoddy craftsmanship and poor customer service. Odds are probably in your favor and if you're local there's less risk involved, but you've been warned. Their top is a unique product, and really your only option if you hope to sleep and seat 4 comfortably. That said, I'd be nervous about a CCV top on a high roof 4x4 sprinter - that's a lot of weight up high on an already tall vehicle.
    Great summary of CCV experiences.

Personally if I needed to sleep/haul a family of 4, a crew cab truck w/ a slide-in makes way more sense and is more budget friendly than a van setup. And this is coming from a dude who loves his van setup.

Ski RV's, who's sleeping in parking lots?

^^^good advice here.

Only a concept but at least 1 major mfr sees a potential market in this space:
    http://www.thefitrv.com/rv-reviews/w...nture-vehicle/

Not a perfect layout for 4 but I think you could make it work, even without a poptop.

I had ccv install a poptop on my van, feel free to hit me up if you want some first hand info.

the most beautiful place in the whole wide world
    Quote Originally Posted by North View Post
    thanks North, very helpful. Agree it seems I'm looking for a unicorn for 4 adults in this form factor. The Travato comes really close, assuming neither of my current 9 yr old boys break family tradition and actually end up tall.

Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    Great summary of CCV experiences.

Personally if I needed to sleep/haul a family of 4, a crew cab truck w/ a slide-in makes way more sense and is more budget friendly than a van setup. And this is coming from a dude who loves his van setup.
    DobeDoe- I hear you, we are just fixated on trying to get something with a little better gas mileage (you know for when some crazy person gets elected president and gas prices go to $20/gal haha) and only buy one new thing (vs a camper and a truck)

Quote Originally Posted by Todds View Post
    You can check out this blog for a heavily modified Travatohttp://www.thefitrv.com/rv-tips/the-...proof-travato/
    Thanks Todds, had already found that. a GREAT resource in general. I'd like to think I'd be fine with the stock Travato + some tank heating elements and just plan on running the heater a bit more for occasional outings in the ski lot.

Quote Originally Posted by FireStrom View Post
    ^^^good advice here.

Only a concept but at least 1 major mfr sees a potential market in this space:
    http://www.thefitrv.com/rv-reviews/w...nture-vehicle/

Not a perfect layout for 4 but I think you could make it work, even without a poptop.

I had ccv install a poptop on my van, feel free to hit me up if you want some first hand info.
    Thanks FireStorm! If they actually get back to me with a number close to budget I will definitely take you up on that offer! And yes that 4x4 Winny prototype looks sweet.

Someone please explain the cassette toilet thing? I saw that on Hymer's new Aktiv (first product after their acquisition of Roadtrek). Do you basically remove a cartridge, tank full of shit and piss and carry into a public restroom or dump tank and pour it in? That sounds horrible.

That's exactly the deal with cassette toilets, horrible yes, but so is dumping an rv black tank. So-called Composting toilets may be an option too, lively discussion here: http://www.expeditionportal.com/foru...ull-time-usage

Cassette toilets are so much better than holding tanks, specially for winter use. When I was a kid and we spend long family vacations on a 25 ft. sailboat, we draw strays to see who had to smuggle the porta potti into the public showers. Good times!