Page 8 of 508 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast
    As the owner trying to sell the aforementioned . . .

http://rockies.craigslist.org/rvs/2072550979.html

. . . let me clarify the 4cylinder/4spd auto thing:

The camper was modified with a lowered 4.88 final drive. Better horsepower for Kansas headwind, better torque for going up the pass. Big improvement if you're driving a small house.

I'd love a 4x4 Sunrader, but a set of chains is more affordable, and it still gets you from Silverton to Durango in a March snowstorm. Three of us with gear, skiing, sleeping and cooking on a week-long trip. Loved it. Still friends.

From that trip, Sunlight Ski resort near Glenwood springs was the highlight: Podunk for all the best reasons. Laid back and friendly staff, permission to park overnight in the lot, uncrowded, and hypnotizing aspen glades. Stayed an extra day.

Not as convenient for dropping the kid off at preschool. Adventures are in a much smaller orbit nowadays.

Thumbs up 1977 TOYOTA CHINOOK

@pajamas: Is that a splitboard?

Quote Originally Posted by montanamike View Post
    not a ski rv, but i saw this rig on the beach today and i had to share
    There's a beach in Kansas?

10 days with the Chinook and the honeymoon isn't over. Was gripped for much of the time driving an unfamiliar 34 year-old vehicle 2000+ miles straight out of the gate. Ran out of gas 1st time in my life 11 PM in the southern tier of NY, drained the battery, and met a kindly Sheriff (all in Salamanca), slept two nights on the road, had Thanksgiving in VT, and registered with the DMV next day. Replaced the alternator, interrupter, and some wiring and now the drain is solved. Passed a fitness test and we are ready for inspection. Re-packing the rear suspension Monday, and lining up some other jobs but everyone who has had it on a lift is amazed at its condition (knock on wood).

We made a friend in Essex, VT:

There's a sweet 85 toy in NJ on ebay (no affiliation)

Bought a 1988 Samurai that I'm in the process of tweaking for a pop up camper, redneck 4x4. As it is now, the upper bed is 4' long that extends to 6.5 feet for sleeping. Building a sink, stove, heater, etc in the back.

Got the pop up camper done today, now I'm cutting the rust out, doing a lift kit, putting on bigger wheels, new transfer case, locking differentials, etc, etc.

^^^^^That is Rad!

Keep posting updates. I'm really curious to see how this turns out. Nice start.

BFH.

Ready for glass/bondo.

Ok, now that is pretty damn awesome!
    Life is simple. Go Explore.

am I the only one who is wondering "why"?
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    am I the only one who is wondering "why"?
    Yes you are. The Sami is one of the most capable off the shelf 4wd rigs out there. Adding a pop up is pure genius.

But, you're prego, so, the hormones must be talking.

More RV stoke please.

great idea
    but are you aware that these babies had a rollover problem before
    and now you have raised the center of gravity with the add-on
    and the lift and the wheels?

that could be extremely dangerous
    picador

Quote Originally Posted by jon gaper View Post
    great idea
    but are you aware that these babies had a rollover problem before
    and now you have raised the center of gravity with the add-on
    and the lift and the wheels?

that could be extremely dangerous
    -It's not lifted yet, it will be lifted 1.5" with softer springs, which DECREASES rollover potential due to softer springs.
    -I has a much wider stance with the wide wheels and 1" wheel spacers.
    -The camper net weight over stock is maybe 120lbs.
    -The weight above the roof line is 20lbs of plywood and 8lbs of 2x2's. People put more weight over the roof line with spare tires.

It's not going to spontaneously roll. I've rallied it around the neighborhood in this configuration. It's solid. The rollover fear was a myth perpetuated by the media.

This 3,500lb camper is far more unstable than my 240lb Samurai camper.

Quote Originally Posted by Trackhead View Post
    Bought a 1988 Samurai that I'm in the process of tweaking for a pop up camper, redneck 4x4.
    That. is so awesome!

After my ski bum season living in the back of a minivan I completely fell in love with the idea of doing a huge journey in a RV for more than just the winter. Normal RVs aren't too wheelchair accessible and a 4x4 truck with roof tent or pop-ups are pretty useless too so I've been looking into panel van conversions a lot lately.

Sportsmobile are amazing, I'd kill Ullr himself for one of these: http://www.sportsmobile.com/4_4x4wave.html

I want an auto diesel with 4x4 though and that narrows the field quite a bit, to just one vehicle actually: the Mercedes Benz 4x4 sprinter. If I win the lottery or one comes up for sale cheap I'll be dissapearing around the world in it.

Wow. Awesome. Galley space?

I'm thinking about putting a propex heater into my Westy. Very nice. I met a guy a few years back hanging out @ the Village in a pop top Westy w/ a Propex heater going. Warm and comfy inside.
    Ski Shop - Basement of the Hostel

Do not tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish.

Mark Twain

I just want to say that I LOVE this thread. Thanks for the RV stoke. It has always been one of my many dreams to do something similar to what you mags are getting done. Send it from the RV!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by SpinalTap View Post
    I'm really troubled by whatever pictures the Don had to search through to arrive at that one...

-It's not lifted yet, it will be lifted 1.5" with softer springs, which DECREASES rollover potential due to softer springs.
    -I has a much wider stance with the wide wheels and 1" wheel spacers.
    -The camper net weight over stock is maybe 120lbs.
    -The weight above the roof line is 20lbs of plywood and 8lbs of 2x2's. People put more weight over the roof line with spare tires.

It's not going to spontaneously roll. I've rallied it around the neighborhood in this configuration. It's solid. The rollover fear was a myth perpetuated by the media.

This 3,500lb camper is far more unstable than my 240lb Samurai camper.

great!
    start a production line!
    picador

that's rad, and I'm guessing you've played this game before (since you're doing a sammy), but I would suggest a few things: softer springs only really means less rollover potential at slow off-road speeds. On-road you'll wanna lock that baby down with stiffer swaybars and disconnects. Also, if you are going to insist on those wheel spacers, torque the axle-to-spacer lug nuts frequently, like every hundred miles for a thousand miles or so. especially if your spacers are aluminum
    The killer awoke before dawn.
    He put his boots on.

Quote Originally Posted by khakis View Post
    that's rad, and I'm guessing you've played this game before (since you're doing a sammy), but I would suggest a few things: softer springs only really means less rollover potential at slow off-road speeds. On-road you'll wanna lock that baby down with stiffer swaybars and disconnects. Also, if you are going to insist on those wheel spacers, torque the axle-to-spacer lug nuts frequently, like every hundred miles for a thousand miles or so. especially if your spacers are aluminum
    Solid advice here. My buddy had a lifted sami with spacers and he learned the hard way about torquing those shits. As for the rollover threat, I'm not really sure its a problem. With sway bars it wasn't terrible on the road (if you remember what it is you're driving and keep the speed reasonable. Then just disconnect the sways for more articulation and you're ready to conquer just about anything. Nothing like a Sami with a nice granny gear.
    Quote Originally Posted by Odin
    But where is he going to get 10 gallons of crisco, a real doll, 14 japanese virgins, a box of strawberrys, a bottle of old harpers, 12 and a half mangum condoms and some rubber gloves at this time of night?

Quote Originally Posted by khakis View Post
    that's rad, and I'm guessing you've played this game before (since you're doing a sammy), but I would suggest a few things:
    Don't know shit about 4x4 stuff. I've been riding motos for two years, rebuilt a few of them from the ground up, now the mystery is gone, so it's on to something else.........

The Sammy is like my old snowcat, basic. So I picked it because of that, and a friend used to have one and suggested it. I might only have it for a year before I move on to something else. My mind wanders.

It's funny to hear about fear of rollover potential from skiers who can't stop talking about hucking their meat, skiing in avy terrain, etc. I drive like a grandpa, the Samurai is slow as shit, I'm not the LEAST bit concerned about rolling it.

RE Propex heater. Very favourable current requirements @ 1.9 amps compared to 7 amps draw for a conventional full size RV furnace

I might only have it for a year before I move on to something else. My mind wanders.
    ummm...dibs! Do me a favor and keep that camper removable so I can take it off for summer cruising
    The killer awoke before dawn.
    He put his boots on.

Last weekend at the Jane. Should be there again on Sun. Drop by for a brew if you see me..........
    Don't ask.... Don't tele

Got all the rust cut out, now I'm closing the wheel well holes with glass/bondo, then the flares go back on.

Quick test lap in the yard. Open differentials at the moment, not sure it needs lockers for what I want to do.

Trackhead is actually from Kentucky??? Tight rig man.

Used to sleep in the back of the 4Runner at mammoth, just me and a comforter, down bag just to kick around, no problem.

Got back from campervanning in NZ and built a bed into the 4Runner similar to the Element with storage underneath, little claustrophobic but not a problem sleeping, just had to change sideways. It’s doable folks.

Now rocking an ’82 Ford Class C motorhome by Tioga. Love that thing. You pay in gas and travel time but having something about hot food off the stove, cold beer in the fridge, sitting at the table playing cards at night that makes you happy. Haven’t taken it into serious cold or long journey yet though, little worried about the plumbing. Seems to handle Cascade temps alright.

That was the progression for me.
    Education must be the answer, we've tried ignorance and it doesn't work!

Waiting for new transfer case gears and a 3" Deaver spring kit.

Nice job Trackhead. Looking forward to seeing more pics when the lift is on.
    Dollar sign that bitch.