Page 83 of 508 FirstFirst ... 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 ... LastLast
Results 2,051 to 2,075 of 12697
    I have a popup, I use Reflectix insulation for the canvas and some of the windows. Get a good mattress or futon mattress so you are insulated from underneath. I have also insulted the bottom of the camper with blue foam board. It does pretty well. I haven't camped in below 0 yet but 5-10 degrees and it does great. My biggest issue is the heater sucks a lot of juice so I am using a MR Buddy as a backup and have a small generator also. I still need to insulate the propane tank and lines. I love the popup except when you are forced to move in the middle of the night. I would love to see how others insulate theirs? It is fun to see other people's projects

Anybody have some steamboat parking spots they wouldn't mind passing along? For the truck camper. Headed up now.

Buff pass trailhead should be hassle free

If you don't mind paying, 30-35$ at the koa on the west side of town comes with power.

Quote Originally Posted by ACheateaux View Post
    If you don't mind paying, 30-35$ at the koa on the west side of town comes with power.
    I am picturing taking the town bus from the KOA to the mountain. True vision?

Let it Snow!

It works out just great for my drunk ass.

Thanks for the responses. I went with the dumont lake parking as was coming from that side. A few other sledneckers up there too but it was a great time. My wave 3 heater didn't stand a change to the negative 15F, but in the sleeping bags and extra wool blankets was perfectly comfortable. Going to add a bunch more reflectix to everything to try to get it more comfortable outside the bags.

This was my first run in the four wheel camper. I figured if we can handle that weather, we can handle most anything Ill ever be skiing in.

Dtimms, would love to see more photos and info all your reflectix and additional insulation. Right now I the entire canvas covered and a few pieces thrown under the mattress. I noticed the floor area was a major source of cold air. How did you insulate all that?

Wrap the bottom of the rig in something. Plywood, foam board or even canvas wrap will keep air exchange from pulling heat through the floor.

shredforfun, I don't know about 4wheel campers (other than they are badass!!) but I put blue foam board insulation under the floor in the open spaces of the frame. I will get you pics when I unload the camper. My camper has a wood floor frame that had 2 foot wide openings, just cut blue foam board to size and glued it in there. That helped a bunch. I will say that -15 would be pushing any popup truck camper. I have never camped that cold.

Quote Originally Posted by AlpenChronicHabitual View Post
    Missed it...
    What was it?
    It was my 1991 Dodge W250 4x4 Cummins. Let it go for real cheap cause I just needed it gone and the guy got a unbelievable deal considering how much $/time/parts I put into it. Now, I went to a newer F-150 w/ topper.

Quote Originally Posted by Dtimms View Post
    shredforfun, I don't know about 4wheel campers (other than they are badass!!) but I put blue foam board insulation under the floor in the open spaces of the frame. I will get you pics when I unload the camper. My camper has a wood floor frame that had 2 foot wide openings, just cut blue foam board to size and glued it in there. That helped a bunch. I will say that -15 would be pushing any popup truck camper. I have never camped that cold.
    My Northstar TC800 popup came with rigid foam cut to fit in all the spaces between the floor framing (wood). I haven't gone to the trouble of insulating all the other gaps or openings, like around the propane tank or where there are outside wall penetrations (where the shore power cable connects, where the outside shower connects).

Coldest we've used it is maybe 15-20* F. The propane furnace keeps it plenty warm -- the problem with winter camping is controlling condensation. In sub-freezing temps, we'll wake up in the morning to a wall of water droplets or even ice, and that's with keeping the roof vent slightly open + a window partly open.

We've kind of given up on the pop-up camper for winter camping use. Maybe we'll go to a hardside at some point, but most likely we'll just use it as a 3-season camper.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    Had a good test-overnight in Bessie the Astro van last weekend. Stayed at Herman Gulch (two exits before Loveland off I70.) Besides for the bit of traffic noise, no-one bothered me. I was the only person in the lot in the evening.

Setup felt pretty dialed, but it was relatively warm (~10F). I expect it to be a good bit colder when I do my SW Colorado (Monarch/Wolf/Purgatory/Silverton) and JH/Driggs trips later this season.

Whiskey and books in the evening.

Coffee, breakfast, and heating liners and gloves in the AM. Little Buddy Heater just out of view by the gloves/liners.

Skins on. Started snowing ~4am by the time I finished uphill lap #2 ~7:30 there were 5 or 6 inches of fresh.

Reflectix on windows for a bit of insulation and privacy. Table's legs are sawed off. When I lay the backseat down it matches the height, which--along with another home-built table behind the back seat--makes a full-size sleeping platform with room underneath for skis/gear.

Pretty good conditions by the end of the day.
    Funny, we have basically the same rig set-up. I have a 2002 Astro w/ Mr. Buddy, Reflectix windows, minimalistic setup. I took out the seats and just have a Colman cot to sleep on and sit in a fold up chair to relax. Gotta love the Astro vans. No doubt I would love to have a pimped out Sportsmobile or fully decked out camper but for around 2 grand (the price I paid for my Astro with 160k) I couldn't be happier with an AWD van that is more than capable for the camping I do. Highly recommended for anyone reading this thread who doesn't have the budget for a dream-machine.

Curious, what tires are you running? That's my next purchase. Will probably end up going with the tried and true BF good all-terrains...

Quote Originally Posted by kungpow View Post
    Funny, we have basically the same rig set-up. I have a 2002 Astro w/ Mr. Buddy, Reflectix windows, minimalistic setup. I took out the seats and just have a Colman cot to sleep on and sit in a fold up chair to relax. Gotta love the Astro vans. No doubt I would love to have a pimped out Sportsmobile or fully decked out camper but for around 2 grand (the price I paid for my Astro with 160k) I couldn't be happier with an AWD van that is more than capable for the camping I do. Highly recommended for anyone reading this thread who doesn't have the budget for a dream-machine.

Curious, what tires are you running? That's my next purchase. Will probably end up going with the tried and true BF good all-terrains...
    Rad -- Astro overnight / skin sometime if you're ever around CO.

I'm in the same Astro-enthusiast boat as you. No other comparable vans on the market as far as I know: small enough for driving in town/parking, AWD, truck chassis. I like the van format more than the truck for my needs and other vans are either on low-clearance car chassis, or quite big and require 4x4 conversion (via quigley or the like.) The exception is the Chevy Express/GMC Savannah which would make a cool AWD rig for someone who wanted more space.

Got mine at 140K for $1700. At 165K now and probably have 3k total in it over the past 2 years (new glass, battery, control arms.) Probably get about 30-40 nights in it a year, 1/2 solo and 1/2 with the SO. Makes a great rig for 2 for skiing/climbing/hiking/biking adventures as long as you only need to get up fire roads and nothing to aggressive. But even just stock I made it up to this spot on a 4x4 road outside of Salida.

I'm currently looking for a lower mileage 2003-05 (I believe 03 is when they got rear discs) to replace this one and act as a build platform. In a dream world: 2 or 4" lift, fresh struts/springs, NP233 transfer case swap (for real 4x4) a la this rad machine: http://www.expeditionportal.com/foru...ture-VAN/page2 . expect my current one will only have another year or two in it before need lots of suspension and tranny work I'll be unwilling to do.

As for tires: currently rocking some Cooper Discoverer M+S for the snow season. Previous snow year and summer I ran (and have in my basement) some Cooper Discoverer AT/3's. Super recommend them -- you'll find quite favorable reviews around the web, taco guys seem to dig them. Had I not got the snows for a steal, those AT/3s would've been more the adequate for almost any conditions.

That Van on expedition portal is for sale! I don't know how much but he built that thing right!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dtimms View Post
    That Van on expedition portal is for sale! I don't know how much but he built that thing right!!
    I've already PM'd him asking for a price. Really most of the mods aren't super expensive in price, but for those of us who lack the space/tools/expertise to do the labor, that would get pricey quick.

After a 3.5 month search I finally picked up my van build platform - 08 Chevy Express AWD. Stoked!

I'll probably post a thread on Expo at some point, and will check in here occasionally. Insulation is going in now, and I'll likely keep it very basic but functional this winter, and then make more permanent additions when the weather warms up and days get longer.

Quote Originally Posted by North View Post
    After a 3.5 month search I finally picked up my van build platform - 08 Chevy Express AWD. Stoked!

I'll probably post a thread on Expo at some point, and will check in here occasionally. Insulation is going in now, and I'll likely keep it very basic but functional this winter, and then make more permanent additions when the weather warms up and days get longer.
    Nice choice! Did you find it locally here in the Front Range? May I ask price/condition/miles?

doebedoe - right on man couldn't agree more with everything you just said. The Chevy Express will likely be my next rig too, and I'll go a little more off-road with it in terms of mods.

Here's my Astro on a little camping trip last summer:

I'll hopefully have some better winter pics to share soon. I bought the van off an old lady who used to it haul flowers, it has some fresh costco budget street tires, which are fine for freeway use but are shit for anything else. I've been too busy with all the snow in Tahoe and driving my Outback to get my new tires dialed for the van. Hopefully in the next week I'll have a set that can drive in the snow and I'll be off for some overnight missions around the basin.

By the way, do you know if the stock alloy wheels can fit anything larger than the stock tire size (215/75/15)? Can't really find reliable info on that...

Quote Originally Posted by Kya View Post
    Buff pass trailhead should be hassle free
    Sorry that isn't true. Winter camping isn't legal at Buffalo Pass trailhead.

Quote Originally Posted by kungpow View Post
    doebedoe - right on man couldn't agree more with everything you just said. The Chevy Express will likely be my next rig too, and I'll go a little more off-road with it in terms of mods.

Here's my Astro on a little camping trip last summer:

I'll hopefully have some better winter pics to share soon. I bought the van off an old lady who used to it haul flowers, it has some fresh costco budget street tires, which are fine for freeway use but are shit for anything else. I've been too busy with all the snow in Tahoe and driving my Outback to get my new tires dialed for the van. Hopefully in the next week I'll have a set that can drive in the snow and I'll be off for some overnight missions around the basin.

By the way, do you know if the stock alloy wheels can fit anything larger than the stock tire size (215/75/15)? Can't really find reliable info on that...
    Nice looking rig -- probably in good shape too if it was just a flower hauler.

As for the tires, I've got 235/70/15s on my stock alloys. Front wheels do get a tiny bit of rub when steering is maxed out. Fixing this is just a manner of taking a big hammer to the front wheel wells though and giving them a bit more space -- something I should do sometime but I don't have a work area at my house.

Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    Nice choice! Did you find it locally here in the Front Range? May I ask price/condition/miles?
    Not locally, but I learned quickly that these vans are rare and in demand in CO and the prices reflect that - dealers here buy them at auction, and price 'em $2K+ over KBB. Granted, I'm a picky buyer and wanted the following:

-AWD Cargo Van (passenger version is harder to insulate and rear HVAC takes up lots of build room)
    -60/40 split side doors with windows
    -Little to no frame or body rust
    -Less than 150K miles
    -Less than $10K

I ended up finding mine with 133K on the clock for $8K around Thanksgiving. It is fully loaded (in cargo van terms, ie power everything, cruise, and armrests haha), and has a sliding door (this will hinder wheel/tire upsize choices, but whatever). It spent 2 years in Illinois as a plumber van, and the last 5 in NM as a kennel transport for a small dog training business - it's in great shape. Pretty much spotless.

TLDR - $8K/133Kmiles/Excellent condition. Had to travel to NM to buy it.

If you are OK with the passenger version, you can likely find one in the same price range or less in-state. If you have any questions, feel free to PM. I have accumulated an embarrassing amount of knowledge about finding and purchasing AWD Express/Savana vans.

Holy shit this is a cool little rig...

http://portland.craigslist.org/clc/rvd/5382963792.html

This unique recently imported motorhome is a rare find!

2.7L DIESEL ENGINE / 4 WHEEL DRIVE / RIGHT HAND STEERING / LOW MILES / REAR DUALLY / 5 SPEED TRANSMISSION / FIBERGLASS CAMPER / TV / BACKUP CAMERA
    OVERHEAD BED / AWNING / SOLAR PANEL / LADDER & ROOF RACK / SPARE TIRE
    STAINLESS SINK / MICROWAVE / REFRIGERATOR / ALL THIS AND MORE!!!

GENERAL
    Body type Truck
    Drive PART 4WD
    Transmission 5 speed manual
    Displacement, cc 2779
    Frame S-LN106-TRMSS

ENGINE
    Displacement, cc 2779
    Engine model 3L
    Max.power (Net), kw(PS)/rpm 91 ps (66.93 kw) / 4000 rpm
    Max.torque(Net), N*m(kg*m)/rpm 19.2 kg*m (188.29 N*m) / 2400 rpm
    Power density 17.03
    Engine type Water cooling serial 4 cylinder OHC
    Fuel system Bosch type distribution type (jet pump)
    Fuel type Diesel
    Compression ratio 22.2
    Bore, mm 96
    Stroke, mm 96
    Final gear ratio
    Fuel consumption at 10-15 modes, l/100km
    Fuel consumption at 60 km/h, l/100km

CHASSIS / TRANSMISSION
    Power steering
    Tires size, front 215R15-6
    Tires size rear 215r15-6
    Braking system, front Disk
    Braking system, rear Drum (leading/trailing)
    Suspension system, front Semi- elliptic leaf spring
    Suspension system, rear Semi- elliptic leaf spring

^^^ 1991 = just past the 25-year import cutoff.

If I were closer, I'd go check this out. Looks awesome. Wonder how small it really is inside... and how dog-slow that NA diesel motor is.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    ^^^ 1991 = just past the 25-year import cutoff.

If I were closer, I'd go check this out. Looks awesome. Wonder how small it really is inside... and how dog-slow that NA diesel motor is.
    Well with that much frontal area I can't imagine it would be going anywhere too fast, at least up passes or a stiff breeze.
    But, for a dedicated camper rig, sort of a so what?
    Ours has a v8 diesel and we generally drive it between 60 and 65 anyway.

Got rid of the Dodge W250 and now the new rig. I absolutely love this thing. That 'Yota looks like a good setup except for about $15k you could build a 3/4 ton diesel rig which would out perform this thing on all fronts. $8-10k for a truck + $3-5k for a slide-in.