Page 77 of 510 FirstFirst ... 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 ... LastLast
Results 1,901 to 1,925 of 12727
    Quote Originally Posted by DanoT View Post
    Memory foam is no good in winter as it gets really stiff in cold temps.
    Huh, did not know that. Some of these toppers are only partially memory foam. I wonder if I could just flip them and sleep on the non-memory bottom side in the winter.

What are other people using for low profile, foldable winter mattresses?

I love the efficency of van conversions. MB and others, what do you guys do about warm weather ventilation where there are mosquitoes, or is that not an issue where you camp? FYI although memory foam is very stiff when it is cold, it warms up quickly when you lay on it for a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by yardsale2 View Post
    I love the efficency of van conversions. MB and others, what do you guys do about warm weather ventilation where there are mosquitoes, or is that not an issue where you camp? FYI although memory foam is very stiff when it is cold, it warms up quickly when you lay on it for a bit.
    Ventilation/mosquito protection is actually my next project. I'm getting some netting and cutting it to fit over the open rear hatch. and side windows (the front and second row windows go down on my van. The third row is fixed). There is a lip around the rear hatch, so I'm probably just going to cut netting to fit, sew some light elastic to the edges and have it just slip over. For the sides, I think I'll use little magnets to hold it on the outside. I was considering doing the whole sliding door openings for maximum ventilation, but it would be a bit more difficult to do without attaching velcro or something similar to the inside of the car. Plus, this way I can just open and close the door like normal when I inevitably have to get up and pee after drinking beers.

Portable generators - anyone have a good reason why this wouldn't be a solid choice for an easy to carry ~2kw generator? The similar size honda is like 400$ more -

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Ryobi-2-2...2200/203617901

or

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Westingho...iXLT/205746116
    Last edited by NoPostholio; 07-30-2015 at 06:31 PM.
    Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Natures peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop away from you like the leaves of Autumn. - John Muir

"How long can it last? For fuck sake this isn't heroin -
    suck it up princess" - XXX on getting off mj

“This is infinity here,” he said. “It could be infinity. We don’t really don’t know. But it could be. It has to be something — but it could be infinity, right?” - Trump, on the vastness of space, man

Quote Originally Posted by NoPostholio View Post
    Portable generators - anyone have a good reason why this wouldn't be a solid choice for an easy to carry ~2kw generator? The similar size honda is like 400$ more -

or

This one has a Yamaha engine. I don't know much else about it.
    http://www.costco.com/Smarter-Tools-...100121916.html

The Westinghouse is lighter and quieter than a Honda EU2000i and the Yamaha, well they are topnotch engine builders.

However, the most crucial and most difficult thing in winter is getting the generator to start, so if it is in the budget then Honda is worth it.

People I know who use these things on the regular unanimously say get the Honda.
    There's nothing better than sliding down snow, and flying through the air

Put an order in on a 179 high top AWD MB cargo sprinter today. Forever wait, then have to do the conversion. I'll get pics together about 7 months from now if all goes well!
    I rip the groomed on tele gear

or

I've used the Ryobi a bunch, it works fine. I'd get the Westinghouse though, it's a lot lighter, smaller, and quieter. If you don't like it, HD has a great return policy.

That van flatbed was gone - locked down this today

To park the bigfoot in after selling the duramax - v10 with 4.3 rear - think it will pull OK, just a lot of gas station stops.

Anybody have any usage history with happijac tie down for TC, specifically the one that mounts off frame btwn cab and bed.
    I have that Happijac camper tie-down kit on my GMC Sierra. As someone else posted, the front part of the kit is kind of a PITA to install, and you have to drill a couple holes through the truck bed to attach the brackets. Since my truck is old, I didn't care about drilling, but YMMV. You also have to drill holes in the ends of the rear bumper to mount the rear tie-down points, but that was easy. I have read that newer Ford trucks' rear bumpers are a bit weak at the ends for mounting camper tie-downs, so you may want to research that before using this kind of kit. I haven't had any issues with the Happijac kit and my camper, and have had it for 4 years now. Finally, those "centering guide" rubber snubbers are nice -- makes it easy to center the camper in the bed of the truck without having to fiddle with it much.

I chose the Happijac kit instead of Torklift because it was a lot less expensive, and because I wanted the tie-down points on the truck to be high up -- the Torklift ones are stronger, but mount low, off the sides of the frame rails, and I was concerned about hitting things offroad. I also bought the Happijac spring-loaded turnbuckles, which are working fine, but take a little while to install. Torklift has a "fastgun" lever-operated turnbuckle that is faster (and more $). If you intend to install/remove the camper frequently, might want to look into those.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

^^^thanks chup - I ended up scoring some torklifts from ebay - going to try the talon aluminum ones on the front.
    Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Natures peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop away from you like the leaves of Autumn. - John Muir

“This is infinity here,” he said. “It could be infinity. We don’t really don’t know. But it could be. It has to be something — but it could be infinity, right?” - Trump, on the vastness of space, man

Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    I've used the Ryobi a bunch, it works fine. I'd get the Westinghouse though, it's a lot lighter, smaller, and quieter. If you don't like it, HD has a great return policy.
    Yeah, the dimensions and run time (~12 hrs at 50%) makes it tough not to speculate on the Whouse.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1438666971.128467.jpg 
Views:	490 
Size:	105.1 KB 
ID:	168582Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1438667006.624635.jpg 
Views:	514 
Size:	105.0 KB 
ID:	168583

Quote Originally Posted by jskierpx View Post
    Ya the taco 4cylinder tows it well, can cruise 65-70mph on flats no problem. do some research on these fiberglass trailers and you will see people towing them with sedans haha.. Mountain passes are another story. The taco needs to be in 4th gear without the trailer so with it I'm usually down to 4th if not third. But it's really no biggie, never adds but another 5-10 minutes per hour of driving in the mountains. 6cyl would prob do better too-

The way I see it is you should shoot low with the trailer weight so it'll have the least impact to driving your rig sans trailer...just my .02
    Completely agree with you on this. Have a quad cab taco and you need to be in 4/3 gear heading over the passes with a full tank of water and gear/dogs. Tgr taco is rated at 6500 and I'm pretty sure the RPod I have is the most you would want to pull.

All and all the RPod 182g we have has been $$. Made a couple of modifications and fashioned a small skirt to go around the bottom to allow us to have full use of the water system during winter, use a small space heater underneath at night to keep the ish from freezing. Need to make sure you stay up on all the maintenance as the seals degrade faster than you think. Planning on doing more insulation work this fall in prep for more parking lot camping this winter.

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1438667463.286161.jpg 
Views:	255 
Size:	98.0 KB 
ID:	168584

Quote Originally Posted by 29715149 View Post

You have two strong dogs to be able to pull a trailer like that!

We looked at one of these before going to an Escape 17. Couldn't spring for the outdoor cooking option in the winter, or does this unit somehow provide inside access to the kitchen?

WestCoastPDR Guest

Is that an App state maggot mobile?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by yardsale2 View Post
    You have two strong dogs to be able to pull a trailer like that!

We looked at one of these before going to an Escape 17. Couldn't spring for the outdoor cooking option in the winter, or does this unit somehow provide inside access to the kitchen?
    Thanks bud, that Escape camper is badass. Does it have a slide out also?

The RPod we have has a full kitchen inside and a sink / faucet setup in the garage area in back as well.

Quote Originally Posted by WestCoastPDR View Post
    Is that an App state maggot mobile?

You know it, app state transplant representing out here in the Seattle

we picked up this monster earlier this year.

http://www.tetongravity.com/?ACT=65&...id=109&d=43343

Welcome to the econo vehicle tribe. Since we bought this the tents have been lonely.
    Last edited by goldengatestinx; 08-05-2015 at 12:39 AM.

WestCoastPDR Guest
    You know it, app state transplant representing out here in the Seattle
    My username used to be EastCoastPDR but seeing how I'm coming up on my 4th winter I changed it. I went to WCU before returning to New Yalk and attending PSU = party school upstate.

Thanks bud, that Escape camper is badass. Does it have a slide out also?

The RPod we have has a full kitchen inside and a sink / faucet setup in the garage area in back as well.
    Sounds like you are good to go. The Escape has no slide out. More comfy but at 2170 dry weight it is much heavier than your rig.

Ski RV's, who's sleeping in parking lots?

Nice rPod. Been drooling over the 178 for almost a year. How much do you think your pod weighs fully loaded?
    Last edited by SmokinRox; 08-06-2015 at 10:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SmokinRox View Post
    Nice rPod. Been drooling over the 178 for almost a year. How much do you think your pod weighs fully loaded?
    Probably a good 3500 lbs with a full tank of water(30 gal or so) and some water in the waste tanks. Ran about $15,900 fully loaded

Probably a good 3500 lbs with a full tank of water(30 gal or so) and some water in the waste tanks. Ran about $15,900 fully loaded
    How do you think the rpod compares to a similarly priced more traditional shaped trailer?