Page 75 of 510 FirstFirst ... 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 ... LastLast
Results 1,851 to 1,875 of 12743
    Quote Originally Posted by Todds View Post
    yardsale2: How do trailers tow in the snow?

Are all 4 humans adults? Have you considered a truck camper? 2 sleep in bed and two in dinette. This combo gets you 4WD pretty cheap.

This 24' class C has the beds and you can buy it new for $50K
    http://coachmenrv.com/product-detail...odelID=54#Main
    Limited experience in towing in the snow but mostly ok. The advantage of the trailer is you park it somewhere less adventurous, then take the SUV to a snowy trailhead (or in town to the grocerie store). On the other hand, if you have a lifestyle that requires a truck anyway, your suggestion for a truck camper also makes sense. Again it comes back to winter capability. Lance brand campers offer winter capable units.

Quote Originally Posted by WestCoastPDR View Post
    Any of you maggots got anything one this?

Attachment 167822

I'll be installing mine in a few weeks and the lift kit should go on shortly there after.
    Had this and it was way claustrophobic for me personally. I only have a normal topper not extended so when using as sleeping platform I couldn't sit up and getting in and out was tough (6'3" 195lbs) and you couldn't sit on the benches as the roof was too low. Now I just use a futon mattress in the truck bed and there is plenty of room. YMMV.

Chaka,
    I just noticed you are looking for 3 season capacity. Sorry for the tangent about winter capability. We liked the Realta for all the reasons you suggest although I don't see where it would sleep four in any configuration. I think they claim 19mpg or so.

WestCoastPDR Guest
    Ski dog. What type of truck did you have yours in. Mine is going in a GMC Sierra with a non ext hight cap but my wife and I are also short. 5'3" and 5'5" respectively. I taped off all the holes in the bed area and then put down a bedrug which I hope will help absorb the moisture and keep things warm too. The leer cap is carpeted as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Chaka View Post
    thanks for the info and suggestions, keep them coming.

... occasional skiing overnights.

Which is why I'm interested in Sprinter conversions or the Rialta, as from what I can tell they get decent mileage (pretty close actually to the lackluster Outback), they drive pretty easy, they are compact enough to fit in normal spaces.
    The problem with all these van conversions is the large glass surface which has something like an R1 insulating factor -- basically nothing. You will find that keeping it warm at night in sub-freezing temps means that the furnace is running almost constantly. RV furnaces are loud and suck battery big time. Then there is the freezing water problem, meaning if it is staying below freezing during the day and cloudy you need to keep the furnace running then too.

Yes, the Sprinters get great gas mileage. We rented one which got 16 mpg -- mostly highway. It was pretty slow going up steeper hills though, dropping to 45 mph floored. Yes, good gas mileage is nice, but how many miles are you going to put on it a year? Do the math and getting 6 mpg more but paying an extra $20K is probably not going to make a lot of sense.

The best ski-capable rig for 4 people and a dog is going to be a truck camper. Truck campers are basically insulated boxes that are much easier to keep warm. Some have double-pane windows. We put styrofoam blocks cut to fit in the skylights to make it even better. The furnace is needed, but doesn't run excessively. Most sleep 4 people, but make sure you look at one with a large enough dinette bed for when those kids get bigger.

Our rig is a 2013 Arctic Fox 990 on a 2012 F350. It works great in the snow even with DRW. It is 22' long. I've never needed chains. Carries plenty of propane and with 2 AGM batteries and solar, no problem running the furnace for a couple of days. We mounted a ski rack on the ladder on the back to keep the skis outside. It has a real bathroom you can stand up in and plenty of water capacity for showering. The tanks are fully insulated and heated without requiring electric tank heaters to keep them from freezing.

Ski dog. What type of truck did you have yours in. Mine is going in a GMC Sierra with a non ext hight cap but my wife and I are also short. 5'3" and 5'5" respectively. I taped off all the holes in the bed area and then put down a bedrug which I hope will help absorb the moisture and keep things warm too. The leer cap is carpeted as well.
    06 Tundra 6'5" bed. been in it down to the mid 30's no carpet in the cap itself only added some to the floor 5" old school futon mattress and a sleeping bag im usually hot. open the side windows a bit and condensation isnt a huge issue. Have slept in it with both daughter and myself and no real wettness.

Even at your heights you will not be able to sit up indian style in the back with the bed platform without at least turning your necks to the side my 7 yr old daughter can just sit upright and is nearly touching likely shes about a foot shorter than your wife right now...id say in mine it was maybe a 3'5" space between top of bed to roof of cap. It always just freaked me out that if I had to get out in a hurry it would simply not happen. I thought about taking the entire carpet kit boxes down like 3-4" but it just seemed way too complicated and id likely never have it level all the way around.

I really wanted to like it...i just like it way better with the full bed of the truck. If i was stuck in a rain storm on a camping trip sitting in the cab wouldve sucked and with the platform in there sitting in the bed wouldve been impossible for extended period at my height. Again and extended cap it would likely be just peachy...

06 tundra limited (6"5" bed), leer cap (normal size), CURT roof basket with basket extensions. If i dont bring the dogs I rarely use the basket. If whole family is with. Wife, 7 yr old, 3 yr old in the truck and I pitch a small tent and sleep outside with dogs.

Good luck.

the most beautiful place in the whole wide world
    Quote Originally Posted by yardsale2 View Post
    Chaka,
    I just noticed you are looking for 3 season capacity. Sorry for the tangent about winter capability. We liked the Realta for all the reasons you suggest although I don't see where it would sleep four in any configuration. I think they claim 19mpg or so.
    Yardsale2 - Primarily 3 season but ideally 4 season... lots of the posts here like the one below are opening my eyes up to the winter RV challenges beyond the obvious 2WD/4WD issue. Check out the Rialta QD configuration which has a double in the back and converts the 4 front captain's seats into two small beds which seem ok for kidz.

Quote Originally Posted by skysos View Post
    The problem with all these van conversions is the large glass surface which has something like an R1 insulating factor -- basically nothing. You will find that keeping it warm at night in sub-freezing temps means that the furnace is running almost constantly. RV furnaces are loud and suck battery big time. Then there is the freezing water problem, meaning if it is staying below freezing during the day and cloudy you need to keep the furnace running then too.

Yes, the Sprinters get great gas mileage. We rented one which got 16 mpg -- mostly highway. It was pretty slow going up steeper hills though, dropping to 45 mph floored. Yes, good gas mileage is nice, but how many miles are you going to put on it a year? Do the math and getting 6 mpg more but paying an extra $20K is probably not going to make a lot of sense.

The best ski-capable rig for 4 people and a dog is going to be a truck camper. Truck campers are basically insulated boxes that are much easier to keep warm. Some have double-pane windows. We put styrofoam blocks cut to fit in the skylights to make it even better. The furnace is needed, but doesn't run excessively. Most sleep 4 people, but make sure you look at one with a large enough dinette bed for when those kids get bigger.
    Skysos- thanks for the great insights, lots to think about.

Acquired this! '03 E350 1ton extended body with 7.3 deisel, 240K miles, mechanically sound and STRONG for $4K. Think I scored. Gonna build it out as primarily a 3 season camper. 4x4 is prohibitively expensive considering my budget and how much the Van is worth but I think I'm gonna lift it and put in a rear locker and 33" tires and that'll do pretty well, even in snow. I need to get a sliding door extender to clear the new tires and fender flares. I'd also like to put in a couple sliding windows and eventually put in a pop-top. Anyone have experience in stalling windows or a pop-top? Will post more pics as it progresses. Pumped!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1794.jpg 
Views:	212 
Size:	703.1 KB 
ID:	167827

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1795.jpg 
Views:	243 
Size:	1.11 MB 
ID:	167828
    There's nothing better than sliding down snow, and flying through the air

Chaka,
    Do some more research on the Rialta. I have no first or second hand experience with them. I seem to remember reading that people had problem getting them serviced. Maybe I just read a post by one grumpy person. Who knows. Some info here:
    http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fu...g/1/page/1.cfm

WestCoastPDR Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Skidog View Post
    What's everyone using now a days to safely heat enclosed areas like a pickup campershell. Mr buddy's with 2 CO2 detectors incase shit ever got real. I'm planning on some cold weather camping in the back of my truck. Like Wyoming cold.

What's everyone using now a days to safely heat enclosed areas like a pickup campershell. Mr buddy's with 2 CO2 detectors incase shit ever got real. I'm planning on some cold weather camping in the back of my truck. Like Wyoming cold.
    Mr buddy is preferred from the people I know. Crack a window a little.

[QUOTE=beaterdit;4507753]Acquired this! '03 E350 1ton extended body with 7.3 deisel, 240K miles, mechanically sound and STRONG for $4K. Think I scored. Gonna build it out as primarily a 3 season camper. 4x4 is prohibitively expensive considering my budget and how much the Van is worth but I think I'm gonna lift it and put in a rear locker and 33" tires and that'll do pretty well, even in snow. I need to get a sliding door extender to clear the new tires and fender flares. I'd also like to put in a couple sliding windows and eventually put in a pop

Windows and sun roofs are pretty simple. Kits are available with templates, etc. Drill, jig saw, bolt in. Measure once or twice also...check for wiring, frame, etc. My Dad and I did some in an E-150 a long, long time ago.

Quote Originally Posted by goldengatestinx
    Windows and sun roofs are pretty simple. Kits are available with templates, etc. Drill, jig saw, bolt in. Measure once or twice also...check for wiring, frame, etc. My Dad and I did some in an E-150 a long, long time ago.
    Good to know. Been looking at horse trailer sliding windows because they're cheaper and always open. Haven't found any dedicated kits yet but I'll try again to track some down and compare prices.

Quote Originally Posted by beaterdit View Post
    Good to know. Been looking at horse trailer sliding windows because they're cheaper and always open. Haven't found any dedicated kits yet but I'll try again to track some down and compare prices.
    Try JC Whitney. And Craigslist. There are always RV and camper windows for sale at good prices.

What about a junk yard? Recycle some from an old RV.

Marin born -> Chico State -> CH -> France -> Truckee
    Quote Originally Posted by AK47bp View Post
    Nice.

I'm looking at the r-pod but those things new are like $18-26k +. Used ones are still in the $13-17k range depending on year.

You pull the scamp with a 4 banger no problem? Any mountain pass driving? I imagine loaded the thing is closer to 1700lbs.

The r-pods are like 2900lbs dry, 3600-3900 loaded. Wondering how a 6 cylinder would do.
    Ya the taco 4cylinder tows it well, can cruise 65-70mph on flats no problem. do some research on these fiberglass trailers and you will see people towing them with sedans haha.. Mountain passes are another story. The taco needs to be in 4th gear without the trailer so with it I'm usually down to 4th if not third. But it's really no biggie, never adds but another 5-10 minutes per hour of driving in the mountains. 6cyl would prob do better too-

The way I see it is you should shoot low with the trailer weight so it'll have the least impact to driving your rig sans trailer...just my .02
    "Can switching to Geico really save you 15% or more on car insurance?"

"Do people really call 911 thinking they will get seen faster in the ER?"

Quote Originally Posted by goldengatestinx View Post
    Try JC Whitney. And Craigslist. There are always RV and camper windows for sale at good prices.
    Quote Originally Posted by Todds View Post
    What about a junk yard? Recycle some from an old RV.
    Thanks guys, good info and ideas!

Thanks guys, good info and ideas!
    Lifting that and trowing 33s on it will work against you in any kind of storm or snowy travel.

http://denver.craigslist.org/rvs/5048324701.html

Airstream Van. no affiliation. 2WD but pretty cool

Ski RV's, who's sleeping in parking lots?

Pick up a Sprinter and convert it yourself. You can make it exactly what you need it to be. My wife and I are currently converting ours to live in full time the next few years and ski and kayak as much as possible.
    Ours has solar, heat, full kitchen, queen size bed, and room for our two dogs.
    There are tons of ways you can set them up.
    Our sprinter is a 2008 and gets about 26mpg right now. And that's driving in the mtns and town. Expecting 22 at the least once it's fully set up.

Quote Originally Posted by Rodneyyee View Post
    Lifting that and trowing 33s on it will work against you in any kind of storm or snowy travel.
    Yeah, like I said, this is going to primarily be a three season camper. I'm after clearance more than anything else. I've decided on a full time limited slip diff for a little more traction. The van has a Dana 60 rear end so differential options are plentyful and cheap. I really just want to get off the beaten path a bit for camping. This thing is a beast! Stoked!

Quote Originally Posted by sierraskier View Post
    http://denver.craigslist.org/rvs/5048324701.html

Airstream Van. no affiliation. 2WD but pretty cool
    I had a 74 E100 Custom with an 18" Turtle Top. That was straight>tapered sides all the way up and it was quite a challenge to pilot in the wind. It was almost bearable with all of the windows open, it seemed to equalize the pressure somewhat, but depending on the weather you can't always do that (duh.) The vans with that oversized top were worse by a factor of 3! A good crosswind would leave you parked and waiting for it to relax.

Jtlb2013 can you post pics of your conversion. Love seeing pics and making notes. Hoping to do what you're planning on some day soon myself. Good luck

the most beautiful place in the whole wide world
    thanks again for all of the input and suggestions. I think you've convinced me I may be better off with a towable ultra light trailer. The 16-foot Scamps look to have the right floorplan (1 queen + bunks). Wonder if they have an insulation option like that Canuck Escape....

Quote Originally Posted by Chaka View Post
    thanks again for all of the input and suggestions. I think you've convinced me I may be better off with a towable ultra light trailer. The 16-foot Scamps look to have the right floorplan (1 queen + bunks). Wonder if they have an insulation option like that Canuck Escape....
    Doubt it. Go to escape.com and look for used escape wtth extra insulation insulated tanks and double pane windows. We had ours in -23f one night last winter.