Page 68 of 510 FirstFirst ... 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 ... LastLast
Results 1,676 to 1,700 of 12744
    Anyone ever mounted a Yakima/Thule ski box on their camper roof sideways? I figure it'd be easier to open/access from the steps on the back of my FWC that way, as opposed to having to carry a ladder around. Would it work?

Why not?
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

By increasing surface area transverse to the flow path you would prob quadruple force on the leading two u bolts - some of those boxes are pretty diesel, but the lighter weight ones I would think you would want to at least reinforce the bottom by adding plywood. Adding an additional crossbar wouldn't hurt either. I am going to do a vertical mount w/a thule frontier where my ladder anchors to the rig.

Or listen to this
    http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Principle_of_Moments
    Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Natures peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop away from you like the leaves of Autumn. - John Muir

"How long can it last? For fuck sake this isn't heroin -
    suck it up princess" - XXX on getting off mj

“This is infinity here,” he said. “It could be infinity. We don’t really don’t know. But it could be. It has to be something — but it could be infinity, right?” - Trump, on the vastness of space, man

Quote Originally Posted by NoPostholio View Post
    By increasing surface area transverse to the flow path you would prob quadruple force on the leading two u bolts
    Good point

Not like it couldn't be remedied - you have wide footprint from racks - good reinforcement at the front anchor points to the roof and front connection of box to rack. I have seen some pretty sleek low pro boxes that are built solid. Mount that pig low maybe just off roof surface

Side profile like that would be good
    Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Natures peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop away from you like the leaves of Autumn. - John Muir

“This is infinity here,” he said. “It could be infinity. We don’t really don’t know. But it could be. It has to be something — but it could be infinity, right?” - Trump, on the vastness of space, man

If you mount a roof box sideways, maybe consider putting a large fairing in front of it to deflect wind over the top. Something homemade -- wider than the ones Thule/Yakima sell.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by SquamptonBC View Post
    Anyone ever mounted a Yakima/Thule ski box on their camper roof sideways? I figure it'd be easier to open/access from the steps on the back of my FWC that way, as opposed to having to carry a ladder around. Would it work?
    Why not get a Packasport? Opens from the rear.http://www.packasport.com/product/packasport-system-115

Just because I already have a Yakima box on our Suby, I don't really want 2.

You could sell it. I know several people with Packasport boxes and they are way nicer than anything from Thule or Yakima.

This is similar to what I would like 2 build - nice rig but pricey

http://denver.craigslist.org/rvs/4814846235.html

Quote Originally Posted by SquamptonBC View Post
    Get a Pack-a-Sport box. It opens from the rear.
    It works Great. Stronger than the plastic boxes.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1420767167837.jpg 
Views:	231 
Size:	34.9 KB 
ID:	162452  

I found something like this...
    http://www.amazon.com/XtremepowerUS-...0783826&sr=1-2
    For getting shit into my roof boxes on the GnaRV. Found a 8.5' that works great for $70.

Posting here to find this thread later

This is similar to what I would like 2 build - nice rig but pricey

http://denver.craigslist.org/rvs/4814846235.html
    that Fuso rig makes more sense than the Unimog rigs that are around. Wonder what the steel doors near the back are? Doesn't really show. Some trucks similar to those come with dual cabs, 7 seats.

Looks like lateral storage under that back bunk. You could slap something like this on one of those fuso chassis' and be g2g in a few weeks of work. First year of retirement project -
    http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/rvd/4815862909.html

Quote Originally Posted by jamesp View Post
    that Fuso rig makes more sense than the Unimog rigs that are around. Wonder what the steel doors near the back are? Doesn't really show. Some trucks similar to those come with dual cabs, 7 seats.
    I like the Fuso,but 94k for that interior?no
    “THE EDGE, there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.” HST

just a heads up, im trying to trade my 91 yota single cab 4x4 with a canopy, for something more long time livable. if any1 has real leads hit my pm box

On the off chance anyone has a duracell 600 power station, and wants a spare for parts or repair, or just wants this one - will send to you for ups shipping costs. Don't have any of the chargers or the jumper cables. Might need battery swapped (~70$), or it could be fine. Needed a quick replacement for a trip and would rather not chuck this thing or have it kicking around.
    When they are working they are great for car camping or extra camp power.

Quote Originally Posted by gonzo_lives View Post
    I like the Fuso,but 94k for that interior?no
    yeah the price is crazy. I really meant a 4wd like that is sufficient for 95% of what people need, but would get better mileage, easier to get parts etc compared to some behemoth ex military vehicle.

Quote Originally Posted by AaronWright View Post
    Why not get a Packasport? Opens from the rear.http://www.packasport.com/product/packasport-system-115
    Thanks AW - this led me to one of my best CL poachings - picked up a Thule frontier and was not impressed with its scant nature. Read up on the packasport, and just on chance did a Craigslist search and found one close by - just picked it up for 200$. Thanks for great beta - thing is diesel

Thanks AW - this led me to one of my best CL poachings - picked up a Thule frontier and was not impressed with its scant nature. Read up on the packasport, and just on chance did a Craigslist search and found one close by - just picked it up for 200$. Thanks for great beta - thing is diesel
    They really can't compare to the Thule and Yakima offerings.

Yah - like 3 times heavier. One I grabbed was older and good shape but was monster at 31" wide - have to do some mods to get it on there
    The Thule on there was not very dynamic with negative delta

The packasport is wall to wall on the rack and 7.5' long - 80lbs

+ 1 for packasport... burly as hell fiberglass construction. El Chup hooked s bunch of I'd up with these about 7 years ago so aWTB in gear swap might meet you a good deal.

Mine is not for sale. ;-)
    "Those 1%ers are not an avaricious "them" but in reality the most entrepreneurial of "us". If we had more of them and fewer grandstanding politicians, we would all be better off."
    - Bradley Schiller, Prof. of Economics, Univ. Nevada - Reno.

Quote Originally Posted by flatNshallow View Post
    + 1 for packasport... burly as hell fiberglass construction.
    Mine is not for sale. ;-)
    X2

I have a Thule on the top of my rig right now because it's light and easy to get up there.
    However accessing it is less than perfect, though I have mostly mastered it in ski boots.