Page 51 of 508 FirstFirst ... 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 ... LastLast
Results 1,251 to 1,275 of 12695
    has this been posted yet? $10k fuso w/ camper. looks comfy and could be dialed out a bit more for winter. no 4x4 though.

http://www.expeditionportal.com/foru...O-10-000-Trade

Wanted: 4wd/awd camper that can sleep 4. Diesel preferred.
    Any pointers/links/scent trails appreciated...
    Last edited by Buster Highmen; 09-03-2013 at 09:24 AM.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    Wanted: 4wd/awd camper that can sleep 4. Diesel preferred.
    Any pointers/links/scent trails appreciated...
    http://www.expeditionportal.com/foru...ition-Vehicles

http://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/t...-alert-thread/

http://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/f...gear-exchange/

This thing would get you there... http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/rvs/3991857936.html
    Life is tough. It's tougher when you're stupid

Or perhaps, Buster, this is up your alley http://www.carsoncityrv.com/pre_owne...R0&veh=3384493

Life is tough. It's tougher when you're stupid

5 days left, not mine. 1975 Volvo TGB 11 Custom C303 Camper:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1975-...#ht_500wt_1168

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1975 Volvo TGB 11 Custom C303 Camper.jpg 
Views:	3146 
Size:	468.5 KB 
ID:	140775

Thanks for the links folks.
    I'm surveying: refinements include rigid top and smaller size. The winne and Fleetwood look good, a bit bigger than we want and the Fleetwood is $$$$...

There's a 20 or 21' class c for sale near me, north of spokane, cheap. Not 4wd or diesel, but if interested, let me know and I can get more info. I've got a 21' passport; it the perfect size.

Short story Buster, it doesn't exist in the price range of mortals.

Give us a bit more about the intended us.

How much driving vs. camping? (effects the $ impact of MPGs)

How comfy do the 4 need to be? Mudskippers need separate beds?

Why diesel? Cost of ownership for PowerPokes, Duramax, and Cummins is getting stupid. Injectors cost money $ than an entire new engine for a gasser.

Anticipated winter use?

Budget?

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    Short story Buster, it doesn't exist in the price range of mortals.
    There's mortals posting here? WTF?

Give us a bit more about the intended us.

How much driving vs. camping? (effects the $ impact of MPGs)
    Long distance rallies around the West are in the plan (you know: Seattle<->Ogden/SLC<->Silverton<->Taos<->Albuquerque), so that's part of the reason diesel is desired. But also plan to use it to get the fam really skiing regularly around the PNW.

How comfy do the 4 need to be? Mudskippers need separate beds?
    We live in a pile, all doors open at all times in our house. I sometimes have to request privacy when I wipe (TMI I know). So we just really need 2 double beds, small stove, refrig, heater. Squids have been on us all the time.

Why diesel? Cost of ownership for PowerPokes, Duramax, and Cummins is getting stupid. Injectors cost money $ than an entire new engine for a gasser.
    Mileage and durability....but maybe I'm talking through my hat on the durability. School me there.

Anticipated winter use?
    May I "duh?" you?

Budget?
    Sure would like to bring something in under 30k for used, but I have some flexibility...

(edit)
    Also I realy don't want a monster. 26 feet is really pushing what I want to do. Alpentalic has a Tiger which appears pretty optimal in terms of having all the basic points, no frills, 4wd and sometimes available in diesel.
    Last edited by Buster Highmen; 09-05-2013 at 09:24 AM.

Granted my group of poop is a little more compact than yours, but here is my take.

If you're sold on on oil burner, one three options make sense. New w/ warranty, sell as warranty is ending. Reputable used model, budget for repairs/maintenance. commercial grade motor. If it's all about miles/$, the big 3 diesels are a loosing proposition. Granted my friends are excavators, cowgirls, electricians etc. but in the last year I've seen Dodges, Chevys and Fords with <150K blowed up. Injector pumps (cummins), transmissions (allision), oil pump failure (powerpoke). These are all >$5K repairs. I brand new hemi installed is under $6K, a donor motor is about $3.5K. I'd be looking for a 6.1 or 8.0 chevy gas.

RV chassis - the premium for 4X4 is stupid considering your most likely getting a Quigley/Sportsmobile or similar conversion which is not the same as factory. Value wise, it's hard to beat a 3/4 ton gasser with an hard top slide in. If you can go w/out 4X4, a class C is a good deal.

These are my opinions based on compromise.

interesting buster! just don't get marble or granite, OK?

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by boltonoutlaw View Post
    5 days left, not mine. 1975 Volvo TGB 11 Custom C303 Camper:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1975-...#ht_500wt_1168

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1975 Volvo TGB 11 Custom C303 Camper.jpg 
Views:	3146 
Size:	468.5 KB 
ID:	140775
    wow that's quite a truck

Granted my group of poop is a little more compact than yours, but here is my take.

If you're sold on on oil burner, one three options make sense. New w/ warranty, sell as warranty is ending. Reputable used model, budget for repairs/maintenance. commercial grade motor. If it's all about miles/$, the big 3 diesels are a loosing proposition. Granted my friends are excavators, cowgirls, electricians etc. but in the last year I've seen Dodges, Chevys and Fords with <150K blowed up. Injector pumps (cummins), transmissions (allision), oil pump failure (powerpoke). These are all >$5K repairs. I brand new hemi installed is under $6K, a donor motor is about $3.5K. I'd be looking for a 6.1 or 8.0 chevy gas.

RV chassis - the premium for 4X4 is stupid considering your most likely getting a Quigley/Sportsmobile or similar conversion which is not the same as factory. Value wise, it's hard to beat a 3/4 ton gasser with an hard top slide in. If you can go w/out 4X4, a class C is a good deal.

These are my opinions based on compromise.
    I'm not sold...it's just what I've read elsewhere...your logic is decent, so I could do a gasser.
    We considered a slide in but we'd really have to do an extended cab since I don't want to force the pink things into isolation during drives. It's an option...but 4x4 is a high priority given the roads and chain requirements we get. I've done my days wrestling chains in the sludgy slush and I've had enough...

And oft...I guess I didn't spell it out well enough: the current choice is soapstone...but the cabinet d00d is trying to foist off melamine boxes instead of real wood...

Value wise, it's hard to beat a 3/4 ton gasser with an hard top slide in. If you can go w/out 4X4, a class C is a good deal.
    X2 on this.

We have a 3/4 ton longbed 4x4 gas truck, extended cab, with a pop-up slide in camper. Haven't used it in winter as a ski camper though, it's just been a 3+ season camping/hiking spot. 1-ton 4x4 truck is basically the same as a 3/4-ton; sometimes the rear axle is a bit burlier, and the rear spring pack is usually slightly beefed up. (Exception: single rear wheel only on 3/4-ton; option of dual or single on 1-ton.) The extended cab back seat is big enough to hold adult passengers, though not as comfy as a full crew cab. Tradeoff: the ext. cab truck is a good bit shorter in overall length vs. the crew cab.

Commments: if you seriously intend regular winter/snowy condition camping, I recommend checking out the fiberglass molded campers -- Bigfoot and Northern Lite come to mind, but there may be others. These are the least-likely to leak (very few seams). You're also going to have to figure out how to keep your fresh, gray, and black tanks (and lines) from freezing. Propane RV furnaces are effective, but you will run through a lot of propane, and more importantly, the battery power to run the furnace fans will require attention.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Another comment/question: for those of you regularly using traditional construction RVs in winter -- how is the body of the RV (or camper, or trailer) holding up? Most RVs have exposed wood underneath, which seems questionable when subjected to road spray, salt, repeated melt/freeze conditions, etc. I know the wood is treated, but it's still just wood.

On our slide-in camper, the wood parts are all inside the bed, and somewhat sheltered by the overhanging parts (over the cab up front, and over the sides of the bed). It fits 100% within the bed (no rear bumper overhang), but a lot of these campers have a wrap-around rear end that extends down below the rear bumper. I wonder about those full rear wraps holding salt/slush/etc. during winter.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

ACH's rig is the best one I've seen. Seems like the perfect solution on many levels.

At the end of the day there isn't a perfect solution, but the Tiger has come close for us.
    Not having to "set-up", being able to instantly go from the cab to the cabin without going outside is a big deal for us.

Buster, Keep in mind that winterization for people who use RV's in freezing conditions is a whole different game. If you plan on having running water and utilities throughout the season, you will have to figure out a way to always keep the cabin above freezing so your plumbing doesn’t burst. Generally speaking, we don't use the plumbing in the winter at this point because we are still figuring out the best way to manage this. Looking into hydronic at this point as we can also tie it into the engines coolant system as well eliminating the need for a block heater in cooler temps.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    Another comment/question: for those of you regularly using traditional construction RVs in winter -- how is the body of the RV (or camper, or trailer) holding up? Most RVs have exposed wood underneath, which seems questionable when subjected to road spray, salt, repeated melt/freeze conditions, etc. I know the wood is treated, but it's still just wood.
    Mine's a '91 Chevy chassis, body by Cobra. The underside is corrugated metal with some rubberized stuff along the edges. Pretty solid; no exposed wood anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by AlpenChronicHabitual View Post
    At the end of the day there isn't a perfect solution, but the Tiger has come close for us.
    Not having to "set-up", being able to instantly go from the cab to the cabin without going outside is a big deal for us.
    Ibid. Op Cit. Dittarae.

Buster, Keep in mind that winterization for people who use RV's in freezing conditions is a whole different game. If you plan on having running water and utilities throughout the season, you will have to figure out a way to always keep the cabin above freezing so your plumbing doesn’t burst. Generally speaking, we don't use the plumbing in the winter at this point because we are still figuring out the best way to manage this. Looking into hydronic at this point as we can also tie it into the engines coolant system as well eliminating the need for a block heater in cooler temps.
    We'll like keep our drinking water in jugs. But the toilet would be more or less a necessity for the late night needs of the pink things.

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    Ibid. Op Cit. Dittarae.

We'll like keep our drinking water in jugs. But the toilet would be more or less a necessity for the late night needs of the pink things.
    rv anti freeze mixed into the holding tank. and fresh water tank perhaps too although small children and pets don't mix well with that

I'd have suggested vodka in the drinking water tank....they're 10 and 12 anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by mookie blaylock View Post
    rv anti freeze mixed into the holding tank. and fresh water tank perhaps too although small children and pets don't mix well with that
    Antifreeze for the holding tanks works pretty good.
    We'll be doing this as well this season, but will premix and put in jugs for flushing instead of holding tanks and plumbing.

Longer range, I am looking into this:
    http://www.espar.com/products/fuel-o...t-heaters.html

still looking for a tigerCx or some similar passthough hardtop