Page 4 of 508 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
    Slept in my van last night at berthoud pass. Need to find a good propane heater option for higher elevations. It was chilly getting out from under the blankets.

Quote Originally Posted by hutash View Post
    There are several variations of that type heat available, but the problem with them for deep winter use is the moisture they release. With a vented heater there is much less moisture build up and therefore less condensation which can be a real problem with winter Rving.

I've been eyeing up the platinum catalytic. Anyone know about 'em? www.ventedcatheater.com
    I've got the key to the highway... I'm gonna leave here runnin', walkin's far too slow

^^^ somebody needs to tell those guys that their site is easily mistakable for "Platinum Catheters"... and those are not fun.

Anyone interested in a boat heater?

It needs an outside vent but it's only 1 inch and supposed to be 2 inches ?? from combustible material. The vent pipe that is.

cool stuff in here.
    Quote Originally Posted by skuba View Post
    you can let it free and be as stupid as possible

Thread Killer
    I would like to see your point of view but I can't get my head that far up your ass.

Quote Originally Posted by Poop*Ghost View Post
    Slept in my van last night at berthoud pass. Need to find a good propane heater option for higher elevations. It was chilly getting out from under the blankets.
    Curtains?

You ride a black Santa Cruz w/an aussie-type pup?

BP looking moist!

Quote Originally Posted by DAFTC View Post
    Curtains?

You ride a black Santa Cruz w/an aussie-type pup?

BP looking moist!
    there's a few more pix in the Berthoud thread.

I had the curtains and some reflectix up. No santa cruz or aussie pups.

I keep a candle going to help take some of the nip out of the air, but by the morning, getting out of the warm down blankets SUCKS. Air temp is probably 30 degrees on a typical night. If the temps really drop, it's friggen torture just trying to take a piss and get your clothes on.

Somebody mentioned this guy:
    http://www.adventurerv.net/olympian-...er-p-1679.html

I think it might be the ticket with a 5 gallon tank and a CO2 detector.

We hit the road and did some GNAR-Ving last season. Fun Times for sure

Quote Originally Posted by unofficialandes View Post

We hit the road and did some GNAR-Ving last season. Fun Times for sure
    Go big or go home, eh?

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

^^^ Something is fucked up with your monoski dude....
    Life is simple. Go Explore.

Quote Originally Posted by Diesel View Post
    Yeah, I covet those too. If you're interested, I found one at a dealer in Denver for a ridiculously low price (5500??). It's set up for a long bed though, and a couple grand higher than my budget. I may still have the contact info over there. Let me know if you want it. (I'm an enabler )
    Man, I don't have $500 let alone $5500 but holy smokes that is a scream'n deal for one of those! Don't see those come up used very often let alone for that cheep. Man I wish my situation were different
    "Once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny, consume you it will..."

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    Holee shit. Is this kid for real? His trip reports read like a bad Mountain-Gazette satirical.

I'm all for learning by doing/trial and error, but ABSOLUTELY NOT IN THAT SITUATION. Save the blundering for over torque-ing your bike or using the wrong bevel on your edges. I wish the others around you the best of luck.

Some cool ideas in this thread. I am in the process of building a sleep platform for my Forrester right now. Will take pictures and post in tech talk when done.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDingleberry View Post
    pissing in a sink? fucking rookies. Shit in an oven, then you'll be pro.

A second vote for a Sunrader.

I've been ski rving for 35 years and have a couple of comments.
    - Unless you're doing logging roads/backcountry don't underestimate two wheel drives with duallys and posi. I've had both 4 wheel and 2 wheel drive rvs and in the cost/usefullness/availablilty tradeoff the duallys win. My E450 24 foot Triple E has a V10, Michelin M+S tires with posi and is very good in snow. For example I bumper plowed 40 cm of fresh westbound from Calgary until the highway was closed at Louis then took the STEEP exit to the overpass into town no problem. I have chains but never used them.
    - Not to be negative but unless you are rich think carefully before spending $40,000 + plus gas plus insurance plus maintenance on a dedicated RV. Think how many heli/cat ski days you could buy. How much gear could you buy? How many nights in a warm dry motel with shower and bar?

Quote Originally Posted by Sparwood Dave View Post
    Unless you're doing logging roads/backcountry don't underestimate two wheel drives with duallys and posi.
    I was pushing snow with the front bumper when I drove the pass outside of Haines last winter. I never even had to chain up though. At 113 hp I can't even burn rubber on glare ice.
    I've got the key to the highway... I'm gonna leave here runnin', walkin's far too slow

my 1978 Dodge Tradesman 4x4

-drove it up the AlCan, skied the whole way, slept in it every night but one (Tok was -35 when I pulled in, the inside of the van was +23, hadn't been any warmer for ~14 hours since Haines)

-currently at the van spa receiving treatment, again...

Quote Originally Posted by DeathVan View Post

-drove it up the AlCan, skied the whole way, slept in it every night but one (Tok was -35 when I pulled in, the inside of the van was +23, hadn't been any warmer for ~14 hours since Haines)

I Like it!

Good thread-I was thinking of starting a "where to park my rig in X ski town" thread as winter approaches. I'm hoping to storm chase a little more this year.

I traded up from Blue Velvet to this little beauty. Not quite 4 season, but I can drop the top and snuggle with the dogs on the coldest nights.

Blue Velvet 2.0 looks GREAT! Did any of the original decorations make the transfer? Looks like it is a little bit of insulation in the popup away from 4-season hood. Good luck!
    Quote Originally Posted by RockBoy View Post
    The wife's not gonna be happy when she sees a few dollars missing from the savings and a note on the door that reads, "Gone to AK for the week. Remember to walk the dog."
    Quote Originally Posted by kannonbal View Post
    Damn it. You never get a powder day you didn't ski back. The one time you blow off a day, or a season, it will be the one time it is the miracle of all history. The indescribable flow, the irreplaceable nowness, the transcendental dance; blink and you miss it.
    Some people blink their whole lives.

Quote Originally Posted by SterlingSpikeDancer View Post
    Blue Velvet 2.0 looks GREAT! Did any of the original decorations make the transfer? Looks like it is a little bit of insulation in the popup away from 4-season hood. Good luck!
    Thanks A! Just got the furnace dialed in today. It CRANKS. Honestly, it's so clean/sterile on the inside that it's freaking me out a little. I really don't know if any of the previous owners actually used it. What a find.

Where full grown men pretend to be cowboys
    I was in the market for an AWD Astro to do up, but last week I was just given a 2001 Mercury Villager minivan freefernuthin by my Gramps out of the blue. I've been looking for pics of camper-fied soccer Mom rigs for a bit of inspiration since acquiring this incredibly uncool (yet efficient) rig, but haven't found much info out there. Anybody ever see a notable ski bum minivan/have any good ideas for winter customization/insulation?

Yeah! I was wondering when the deathvan would show up. that things awesome...

Quote Originally Posted by AlexBuecking View Post
    I was just given a 2001 Mercury Villager minivan freefernuthin by my Gramps out of the blue.
    score dude put some badass tires on it and grab a pile of blankets, you'll be set haha

Quote Originally Posted by AlexBuecking View Post
    I was in the market for an AWD Astro to do up, but last week I was just given a 2001 Mercury Villager minivan freefernuthin by my Gramps out of the blue. I've been looking for pics of camper-fied soccer Mom rigs for a bit of inspiration since acquiring this incredibly uncool (yet efficient) rig, but haven't found much info out there. Anybody ever see a notable ski bum minivan/have any good ideas for winter customization/insulation?
    Shameless plug (its for sale) but here is what I did to the back of my Astro. It was pretty easy and turned it into a badass and useful place to chill/sleep/drink

https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...highlight=rape

HELL YES. I've always wanted a van with a basketball hoop on it.

Where full grown men pretend to be cowboys
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinfield View Post
    Shameless plug (its for sale) but here is what I did to the back of my Astro. It was pretty easy and turned it into a badass and useful place to chill/sleep/drink

https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...highlight=rape
    Yeah dude, I saw that post a while back and am incredibly jealous of that gem. I hope to eventually make my van half as badass as yours. I think I have some pretty solid plans for it pimp/warm, just counting the days until I pick its two-toned ass up at Thanksgiving!

Pick up one of these battery packs and an electric blanket. It might keep a minivan warm enough for the night?

http://www.campmor.com/eureka-e-powe...ci_sku=27781WC

Good thread-I was thinking of starting a "where to park my rig in X ski town" thread as winter approaches. I'm hoping to storm chase a little more this year.

I traded up from Blue Velvet to this little beauty. Not quite 4 season, but I can drop the top and snuggle with the dogs on the coldest nights.

I figured "Blue" would give you the bug. Here she is last year:

This winter I'll be in "White Lightning":
    Don't ask.... Don't tele