Page 47 of 510 FirstFirst ... 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 ... LastLast
Results 1,151 to 1,175 of 12727
    Hugh Conway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by tseeb View Post
    What does everyone think of this? http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/rvs/3577590379.html
    Canadian-built camper with slide-out and good headroom in cabover on crew-cab 1-ton 4X4 with 496 V-8 and only 27,500 miles. I looked at it twice last year and it's very nice and well-maintained. Both are 2005s. It seems like lot more comfort for less money than Sportsmobile and also can be used as a truck.

The two things that scare me the most and led me to share it to see what others think are:

1. Weight. Camper is 3,850 lbs. With generator, it's over 4,000. Empty, the truck is at least 6,000 and may be 6,500. With GVR of 9,900, it seems over weight even before you load anything in it. Even though rear springs have been beefed up, rear tires must be over loaded. Owner drove it to Yellowstone from Bay Area last summer and tows a ski boat into Sierra with it without mentioning any problems. Does seem to rock a bit when he pulls up.

I have not driven it and suppose I could ask him if he's had any tire problems and to let me drive it to nearby scales to get each axle and wheel weighed and to see how it feels.

2. Not diesel. A friend says with that kind of load, you want a diesel as they pull hills so much better. I'm not as concerned with the mileage as I probably would not be driving it that much and the much higher price for diesel seems to nearly make up for the better mileage. But another friend with a Dodge diesel 4X4 3/4 ton gets almost 20 mpg empty and 12-14 towing big 5th wheel.

And Kirkwood went and closed the RV lot...
    How tall is that rig? looks 3-4' over the cab

I think the owner said that although it is not quite that high, they know if clearance says 12 feet, they will clear. I added a picture from his ad.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CamperWBoat.jpg 
Views:	335 
Size:	52.6 KB 
ID:	131898

Quote Originally Posted by montanamike View Post
    Nailed it on the price. Currently asking $15K. Pretty solid deal IMO.
    There's nothing better than sliding down snow, and flying through the air

Quote Originally Posted by beaterdit View Post
    Nailed it on the price. Currently asking $15K. Pretty solid deal IMO.
    i would take a trip up there for that. The relatively lightweight and good mpg would make longer road trips a better proposition. Getting 8 mpg makes chasing powder expensive

Samuel L. Jackson as Jules Winnfield: Oh, I'm sorry. Did I break your concentration?

Toyota 4x4 Chinook only 5k.. This will not last for long - http://sfbay.craigslist.org/scz/cto/3590521336.html
    Step into the Freezer

Quote Originally Posted by teleee View Post
    ^^^That is an awesome rig - it is almost exactly how I want to build my next one. I drove similar truck for a lot of years and they handle well.

Name:	tumblr_leetcktRNF1qflhlvo1_1280.jpg 
Views:	723 
Size:	161.4 KB 
ID:	131927

I like this one on saddle tramps - 4 door and making it walk through would be key....as well as having two boxes along camper that you can load skis and gear in
    Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Natures peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop away from you like the leaves of Autumn. - John Muir

"How long can it last? For fuck sake this isn't heroin -
    suck it up princess" - XXX on getting off mj

“This is infinity here,” he said. “It could be infinity. We don’t really don’t know. But it could be. It has to be something — but it could be infinity, right?” - Trump, on the vastness of space, man

Last edited by tgrweb; 03-27-2013 at 09:48 AM.
    "Wherever beer is brewed, all is well. Whenever Beer is drunk, life is good" -- Czech proverb.

Hugh Conway Guest
    Euroland and doesn't have a 4wd, but does have plenty of room and a pretty bomber drivetrain:
    http://www.carcollection.at/index.ph...id=217&catid=1

Hahaha is that thing a hearse? Awesome. The only problem is those volvo's were the absolutely worst cars in snow. Rear wheel drive snow deathtrap. No wonder they had great sefety systems. Strange how bad they wre in snow being from Sweeden.

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post
    Euroland and doesn't have a 4wd, but does have plenty of room and a pretty bomber drivetrain:
    http://www.carcollection.at/index.ph...id=217&catid=1

Awesome!
    A Volvo Hurse.

Here's the redneck version

Sleeping platform

Out of maggot league but best available C-Class 4x4 RV for sale right now. Max out your cards and thank me later: http://www.kerrvillerv.com/inv2.php?type=rv&unit_id=362 (It's also listed at eBay).

2004 Dodge XPLORER XCURSION
    STOCK # 827707
    VIN 3D7MU46C53G827707
    NEW/USED USED
    YEAR 2004
    MFG. Dodge
    MAKE XPLORER
    MODEL XCURSION
    CLASS C
    LIST PRICE $ 58,600
    MILES 63319
    LENGTH 22' 0"
    STATUS ON LOT
    SLEEPS 3

Question for the pop-up truck camper folks here: How does the pop-top handle in the cold-cold? Do you keep it down all the time or pop it up and blast the heater?

Cheers!
    I eat, I sleep, I ski.

Quote Originally Posted by Trefmawr View Post
    Question for the pop-up truck camper folks here: How does the pop-top handle in the cold-cold? Do you keep it down all the time or pop it up and blast the heater?

Cheers!
    Popups don't really handle the cold at all. As soon as the heater isn't on it will get cold inside. I bought a cheap rv cover that essentially makes the fabric double walled and keeps out all wind. This covers up all your winders, but who cares its winter.

Quote Originally Posted by soylent green View Post
    Popups don't really handle the cold at all. As soon as the heater isn't on it will get cold inside. I bought a cheap rv cover that essentially makes the fabric double walled and keeps out all wind. This covers up all your winders, but who cares its winter.
    There are arctic packs for pop-ups. Mine came with 2 layers of thinsulate knock-off sandwiched between 2 layers of fabric. I can stand around in long underwear when it is -18C (OF).

Quote Originally Posted by DanoT View Post
    There are arctic packs for pop-ups. Mine came with 2 layers of thinsulate knock-off sandwiched between 2 layers of fabric. I can stand around in long underwear when it is -18C (OF).
    This. But above was right too, heat goes off, camper gets cold pretty damn fast. Biggest problem I find winter camping is condensation on the tent material, especially up around my breathing end. It freezes and then doesn't really go anywhere. But yea they work awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Trefmawr View Post

Cheers!
    When we got our pop-up truck camper, I thought we might use it in winter too. But we haven't at all. Our camper doesn't have a toilet, and only an outside shower, plus I have to winterize the water system anyway. And I took the RV batteries out of it for winter, to store them in the garage (warmer).

It's a 3-season camper for us. The heater works great though, and almost too hot for sleeping -- we set the thermostat really low if it's a cold night (30* or less), and heat rises up to keep the bed area (over cab of truck) plenty warm, even without any extra insulation around the soft walls.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

We use ours in winter.

-12F was too cold for me in Jan.

Usually not a problem.
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

Quote Originally Posted by philth View Post
    Hahaha is that thing a hearse? Awesome. The only problem is those volvo's were the absolutely worst cars in snow. Rear wheel drive snow deathtrap. No wonder they had great sefety systems. Strange how bad they wre in snow being from Sweeden.
    I think the 240 series are great in snow, just have to invest in really, really good snow tires! All-seasons just don't cut it if there is more than a couple snowflakes on the road.

http://youtu.be/1WmoT-hU1sA

haha true true. Studs will make anything a rally car.

Name:	677.jpg 
Views:	460 
Size:	1.14 MB 
ID:	134910
    canaan
    if its got tits or wheels...it will give you trouble..

Anybody looking for a class C cheap? I'll be selling an '88 26' Jamboree soon (as soon as the snow melts so I can get it out of my back yard.) I'll post details if anyone's interested. Maggot price applies, of course. I'm near Spokane.

Effing pumped! Just picked up the base vehicle for my GnaRV project. 2000 E350 extended van w/ 7.3 L diesel. I have a line on some axles for the 4x4 swap. Now I just need to get the poptop figured out and I'm into it for 15K and have my own notsosportsmobile. I'll see you in the C-lot at the jane.

screw 4x4. here's a pinz 6x6 with a box you could mod for your camper. already has a gas heater, and full diff locks. only 18k

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/cto/3651014950.html