Page 457 of 510 FirstFirst ... 452 453 454 455 456 457 458 459 460 461 462 ... LastLast
Results 11,401 to 11,425 of 12727

Quote Originally Posted by Trackhead View Post
    2wd? No mention of 4wd, despite the big ass tires. Seems like a $15k truck with a new box and a ho-hum build (200w of solar? Isolator instead of DC-DC? Small battery not secured to the floor? What a joke.). Prices of these things deserve to crash.
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot (43).jpg 
Views:	146 
Size:	274.8 KB 
ID:	448273

Name:	Image1676779168.549184.jpg 
Views:	153 
Size:	178.4 KB 
ID:	448274

^ keeping it real

For ski camping in this country, I'd choose this every time over the rwd fuso

https://expeditionportal.com/forum/t...lt-out.234142/

Double ski boxes over the cab and go

Quote Originally Posted by jackattack View Post
    For ski camping in this country, I'd choose this every time over the rwd fuso

https://expeditionportal.com/forum/t...lt-out.234142/

Double ski boxes over the cab and go
    FWIW it looks like there's a front drive shaft on the Mitsubishi.

One plus for the F550 is the seats. The FUSO seats suck huge ass.

Quote Originally Posted by climberevan View Post
    2wd? No mention of 4wd, despite the big ass tires. Seems like a $15k truck with a new box and a ho-hum build (200w of solar? Isolator instead of DC-DC? Small battery not secured to the floor? What a joke.). Prices of these things deserve to crash.
    I'm victim to brainwashing from price gouging after seeing endless high mileage vans with shit builds and similar costs. I admit it.

It is AWD, has R-value of 10, and if I was wealth, would be a great ski rig for family of three. But yeah, probably a solid 30-40k over priced in the
    real" world. Those composite boxes are bomber and uber-warm, FWIW.

Quote Originally Posted by climberevan View Post
    Seems like a $15k truck with a new box and a ho-hum build
    There’s no way those Mitsu commercial trucks are $15k, are they?!?!?
    My friend owns a landscaping business and sold an Isuzu NPR (granted with higher GVWR) for 4 times that amount.

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

Name:  IMG_4539.jpg
Views: 682
Size:  68.9 KB

A repost but I paid $12K for my own lot 20" to the bullwheel. Below snow line of the pass. The camper usually just hibernates in the driveway in winter. There's room for 2 more vehicles if friends want to come. I can put a cabover on my pickup but would probably only do that for Taos which is 2 1/2 hrs away as I can couch surf most other resorts I ski. Sometimes buying a parking lot makes more sense than another camper.

One would think having a camper 20 inches from the bull wheel would be a sort of a safety thing but hey you do you

Quote Originally Posted by byates1 View Post
    One would think having a camper 20 inches from the bull wheel would be a sort of a safety thing but hey you do you
    His camper is a gondola.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Parking lot poutine!

Name:	zFtE3a2.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	897.5 KB 
ID:	448518

Has anyone else gone the route of buying a lot specifically to RV near skiing?

Yeah that’s what Whipski has done. See above

Anyone know of a lot 5" from the bull wheel? 20" way the fuck too far.

Quote Originally Posted by byates1 View Post
    Anyone know of a lot 5" from the bull wheel? 20" way the fuck too far.
    Discovery almost meets that criteria but can’t overnight

Quote Originally Posted by Dromond View Post
    I have plans to do this at some point. Most places allow you to build up to 200 square foot structure without a permit. I was thinking of a wood fired sauna with attached changing room. The changing room can double as hang out room, kitchen, or place to sleep if you want to get out of the camper. Solar for lighting, maybe a composting toilet. Running water on the property would be nice for cold plunges and showers. Maybe get a shipping container dropped for storage. Airbnb it as a glamping pad.

I saw a place similar to the above at the WA coast. The lot was right next to the beach, but was unbuildable due to coastal erosion. But the small 200 sq ft structure would be exempt. I bet they got a great deal for the land.

For the past 16 years I have set up my winter capable 5th wheel trailer, year round on a friend's 40 acres, 12 miles from and 1,000ft below Sun Peaks, B.C. I pay rent and electricity is in my name with a 30amp plug and 2 15amp plugs, water and septic. No cell service but high speed fibre optics for internet and TV, and land line phone. I even have an infrared sauna in the utility shed.

Quote Originally Posted by DanoT View Post
    For the past 16 years I have set up my winter capable 5th wheel trailer, year round on a friend's 40 acres, 12 miles from and 1,000ft below Sun Peaks, B.C. I pay rent and electricity is in my name with a 30amp plug and 2 15amp plugs, water and septic. No cell service but high speed fibre optics for internet and TV, and land line phone. I even have an infrared sauna in the utility shed.
    Very cool. Are the temperatures such that you can run a heated water hose supply and dump on mild weather days? You didn’t mention propane, do you have a service for an on-site large capacity tank?

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

Yeah that’s what Whipski has done. See above
    I was asking if anyone other than Whipski had - should have been more specific.

Quote Originally Posted by altasnob View Post
    I have plans to do this at some point. Most places allow you to build up to 200 square foot structure without a permit. I was thinking of a wood fired sauna with attached changing room. The changing room can double as hang out room, kitchen, or place to sleep if you want to get out of the camper. Solar for lighting, maybe a composting toilet. Running water on the property would be nice for cold plunges and showers. Maybe get a shipping container dropped for storage. Airbnb it as a glamping pad.

I saw a place similar to the above at the WA coast. The lot was right next to the beach, but was unbuildable due to coastal erosion. But the small 200 sq ft structure would be exempt. I bet they got a great deal for the land.
    I’d love to rig something like this but haven’t seen much in the way of viable lots anywhere near snow. The same thought of (lightly) utilizing otherwise unbuildable land has crossed my mind as well.

Quote Originally Posted by DanoT View Post
    Oh yeah I remember you posting something about this before. That is a really good friend to have! What a sweet setup. There is a lot of land out there, but fully buildable cabin type land near my areas of interest is way more than I’d really consider spending.

the lot is 1/2 acre and buildable by code. the bank wants to loan money. I was thinking a 3 bedroom modular on top of my 2 bedroom walkout basement apartment. affordable housing for ski patrollers? the thought of construction makes me nauseous. perhaps a few of my dentist friends want to coop?

I was asking if anyone other than Whipski had - should have been more specific.

I’d love to rig something like this but haven’t seen much in the way of viable lots anywhere near snow. The same thought of (lightly) utilizing otherwise unbuildable land has crossed my mind as well.

Oh yeah I remember you posting something about this before. That is a really good friend to have! What a sweet setup. There is a lot of land out there, but fully buildable cabin type land near my areas of interest is way more than I’d really consider spending.
    Back in the 1970s when Sun Peaks was Tod Mtn, a friend got a placer mining claim established on Crown Land (land owned by the B.C. provincial government ) near a creek, 9kms from the mountain. He packed in materials a short uphill distance, not visible from the road and built a geodesic dome. Eventually another ski bum built another dome a short distance away....those were the days when mid week Tod only ran the old 2 seat Burfield chair (close to 2900 vertical) because there were only 30-50 skiers mid week, maybe 100 on a Friday.

These days in B.C. Crown Land (plentiful outside the cities and farming areas) the public is allowed to recreate for as long as they want as long as no permanent structures are built or timber values interfered with. I have a few off grid but accessible "backup sites" picked out on Crown Land near Sun Peaks if my current set up were to change.

Quote Originally Posted by SchralphMacchio View Post
    Very cool. Are the temperatures such that you can run a heated water hose supply and dump on mild weather days? You didn’t mention propane, do you have a service for an on-site large capacity tank?
    My 5th wheel trailer is a 32 y.o. 26' Oakland, built in Vernon B.C. by the guys who build Bigfoot campers. It was marketed as a 4 season RV with "Fibrecore Wall System" using two part expandable foam for insulation and creating R12 walls and ceiling and R20 floor. Holding tanks are in a heated, insulated belly pan with dump valves accessible through a 6"x6" door and the valves are more than a foot from an outside wall and never freeze. I beefed up the insulation in a few spots, zip tied heat tape (the stuff for melting snow off roofs) to plumbing lines and then wrapped in tin foil to distribute heat.

My hot water tank is electric and I heat the trailer with electric heaters. I switched the propane heat for the holding tanks in the belly pan to a hair dyer, plugged into a thermostat. According to the temperature sensor in the belly pan the hair dryer comes on at around 6*C and shuts off at 27*C. The hair dryers last 5 or so years, so I keep a spare on hand.