Page 437 of 510 FirstFirst ... 432 433 434 435 436 437 438 439 440 441 442 ... LastLast
Results 10,901 to 10,925 of 12745
    Camper is essentially done, finished a steel subframe for loading/unloading. Drug it out into the wild (my driveway) for cold weather testing.

Temp here -6F, diesel heater running at 3kw (mid throttle) and inside temp 68 degrees. Glad I went with diesel and not Propex, not enough BTU's in propane in my opinion. Also, small spaces heat up nicely! Upcoming temps are to be -29F, look forward to testing in that. Actuators work fine so far in cold temps, and thankfully top opens/closes fine in cold.

Working on flatbed for truck now, but it's too cold to take bed off currently.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	133 
Size:	951.1 KB 
ID:	438986

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane

Quote Originally Posted by byates1 View Post
    I'm not convinced the cobalt, manganese, etc that are mined by slaves will be enough. But as long as I get my cheap iphone and cool Tesla, who gives a fuck about those ppl.
    The Oil extraction industry is a model of racial equity and economic prosperity for the common man.

Quote Originally Posted by Trackhead View Post
    Camper is essentially done, finished a steel subframe for loading/unloading. Drug it out into the wild (my driveway) for cold weather testing.

Temp here -6F, diesel heater running at 3kw (mid throttle) and inside temp 68 degrees. Glad I went with diesel and not Propex, not enough BTU's in propane in my opinion. Also, small spaces heat up nicely! Upcoming temps are to be -29F, look forward to testing in that. Actuators work fine so far in cold temps, and thankfully top opens/closes fine in cold.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	133 
Size:	951.1 KB 
ID:	438986
    Great work so far. Looks like it could be an awesome ice fishing shack too

Quote Originally Posted by Brownski View Post
    Great work so far. Looks like it could be an awesome ice fishing shack too
    Don't think I haven't thought of that. Long ago I dreamed of building something like this, mounting on skis, and dragging into backcountry with a Skandic and leaving it somewhere fun.

Mobile Backcountry hut

I'm sure this is basic RV'er knowledge, but is the diesel heater just running off the gas tank for the truck, or separate? If it's separate, how long could you run it at mid-throttle on your tank?

Looks badass.

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    I'm sure this is basic RV'er knowledge, but is the diesel heater just running off the gas tank for the truck, or separate? If it's separate, how long could you run it at mid-throttle on your tank?

Looks badass.
    My truck is gas, so this runs off 10 liter tank in camper. Fuel useage is 0.11-0.55 liters per hour. So mid throttle about 200-300ml per hour at this temp/setting. A long fucking time.

My truck is gas, so this runs off 10 liter tank in camper. Fuel useage is 0.11-0.55 liters per hour. So mid throttle about 200-300ml per hour at this temp/setting. A long fucking time.
    Wow, that seems super efficient for that heat output.

My fancy battleborn batteries were in hibernation mode for the past 24 hours. No charge allowed as the core temp was too cold. Had to crank the heater to get it to thaw out and then pick up solar again. Gonna happen again in a few days with this cold front. Going to have to keep heater running all day and night. Definitely burning some gasoline

Don't think I haven't thought of that. Long ago I dreamed of building something like this, mounting on skis, and dragging into backcountry with a Skandic and leaving it somewhere fun.

ditto. not sure how ice shanties are a thing and ski shanties aren't...

Quote Originally Posted by simple View Post
    My fancy battleborn batteries were in hibernation mode for the past 24 hours. No charge allowed as the core temp was too cold. Had to crank the heater to get it to thaw out and then pick up solar again. Gonna happen again in a few days with this cold front. Going to have to keep heater running all day and night. Definitely burning some gasoline
    So that’s the infrequent downside of lithium I guess. Good beta.

So that’s the infrequent downside of lithium I guess. Good beta.
    Yup. My renogy will cutoff at 32F for charging, but can discharge down to 0F. The bigger number for me is that it has to warm back up to 40F to take a charge again. My van is more of a summer rig though, so I don't foresee big issues.

Anyone have a heat pad installed for their batteries?

https://battlebornbatteries.com/faq-...orn-batteries/

Quote Originally Posted by altasnob View Post

No. Would you buy me them for Chanakka? Only $220 per battery

Met this chick last year w a revel sprinter, 190grand brand new. Mid dec, whatever heater setup they have in those things it won't work if it(inverter/battery?) gets cold , her solution was leaving the heater on 24/7. Jfc. 190 grand..

Quote Originally Posted by m2711c View Post
    ditto. not sure how ice shanties are a thing and ski shanties aren't...

My thoughts exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by byates1 View Post
    Met this chick last year w a revel sprinter, 190grand brand new. Mid dec, whatever heater setup they have in those things it won't work if it(inverter/battery?) gets cold , her solution was leaving the heater on 24/7. Jfc. 190 grand..
    That’s utterly ridiculous and shows that shit was built by people who don’t use it……reading Revel forums none of them think they are functional in prolonged cold temps, not unlike any mass produced RV. The hydronic heating is what they have.

Walked out to my ghetto lead acid in -6f and fired up my diesel heater….no issues. Lower battery capacity sure. But it works and cost $200.

Heard a story about a lot with a half dozen Sprinters camping in Steamboat didn't start that same morning. Diesel and negative -17 don't match unless you are prepared with fuel treatment. My buddy with the 7.3 PSD knows that one all too well.

I made some. Like 30$ all in. Take a couple apiary heat pads and a 12v temp control unit from Amazon and have at it. It's probably not doing as great a job as this solution but it's something.

And who doesn't run winter diesel/cetane?

Also, dirty secret from someone so high on lithium: I don't leave port without a spare AGM tucked away next to my main gear. Its tiny and won't run the whole show but I've definitely done some creative re-wiring to get the cab heater cranking to thaw the bank out

Quote Originally Posted by simple View Post
    Heard a story about a lot with a half dozen Sprinters camping in Steamboat didn't start that same morning. Diesel and negative -17 don't match unless you are prepared with fuel treatment. My buddy with the 7.3 PSD knows that one all too well.
    ^^^This is why ski RV's whoever is sleeping in parking lots, needs a generator to power an engine block heater and battery charger.

Quote Originally Posted by Huskydoc View Post
    I made some. Like 30$ all in. Take a couple apiary heat pads and a 12v temp control unit from Amazon and have at it. It's probably not doing as great a job as this solution but it's something.
    Over on diysolarforum.com there are lots of creative, cheap, solutions. Most seem to involve a 12 volt heater pad ($23) with a thermostat ($14). I don't see how this is any different than the $200 proprietary ones. Insulate the battery and/or battery space as well.

https://www.amazon.com/12V-Flexible-...91&sr=8-5&th=1

https://www.amazon.com/Honeywell-Pre...%2C131&sr=8-3#

Quote Originally Posted by Huskydoc View Post
    Also, dirty secret from someone so high on lithium: I don't leave port without a spare AGM tucked away next to my main gear. Its tiny and won't run the whole show but I've definitely done some creative re-wiring to get the cab heater cranking to thaw the bank out
    So do you keep the AGM battery hooked up and charged? Letting it sit uncharged with slowly kill it. Maybe just have a12 volt AGM smart charger that you periodically plug it into might suffice? Another cheap, easy, emergency backup to heat the living space above freezing to charge the lithium would be a Mr. Buddy heater and green 1 pound propane can.

So do you keep the AGM battery....charged? .
    It sounds crazy, doesn't it? It sits topped off and disconnected. I do have a noco charger I use to top it off every once in a while.
    Last edited by Huskydoc; 12-20-2022 at 10:23 AM.

Ok, so is it safe to say that a diesel heater of adequate size will be more effective than a 32 year old propane furnace in a Bigfoot? The old furnace takes twenty minutes of popping the piezo lighter and getting cold air forced into your eyes by the fan to get the pilot going. Will i be pleased by switching out to diesel? Quicker and perhaps more thorough heating? Reliable? Is there any real difference between the chinese knockoff, or should i get a name brand? Thanks for your opinions on this one!

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Gravity always wins...

I have no direct experience but from what I have observed on Youtube channels that I sub, the Chinese heaters don't last as long (melt down or odours) as the name brand but the name brand are 5 or more times more expensive.