Page 225 of 510 FirstFirst ... 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 ... LastLast
Results 5,601 to 5,625 of 12727
    Been a great winter so far. Just spilled 2 gallons of water on my gear bag and floor. It already smelled like feet and weed in here. Get a mop!

Ski RV's, who's sleeping in parking lots?

Spotted today in Big Sky

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2445.jpg 
Views:	475 
Size:	1.12 MB 
ID:	312490

Fat bike = check
    Solar panel on roof = check
    Lifted 4x4 van = check

30-ish GF wearing beanie with fur Pom = checkmate

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Last edited by Harry; 01-27-2020 at 07:34 AM.
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

How do they get the skis off the roof?

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    How do they get the skis off the roof?
    Probably stand on the slider

Quote Originally Posted by pyromaniacman129 View Post
    Probably stand on the slider
    or use the damn ladder

Not entirely sure why a rig of that size would not be able to accommodate skis with grime on road in the belly of the beast. Seems like a lot less work.

Quote Originally Posted by mooseknuckle View Post
    Not entirely sure why a rig of that size would not be able to accommodate skis with grime on road in the belly of the beast. Seems like a lot less work.
    The inside layout may not have a pass through. Mine does but I don't use it. Having the rocket box is the best and yes, access with the ladder.

Quote Originally Posted by jackattack View Post
    or use the damn ladder
    I was looking at the reach to get to the front part of the ski rack. That bikes gonna look sweet in a few months of riding back there.

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    I was looking at the reach to get to the front part of the ski rack. That bikes gonna look sweet in a few months of riding back there.
    Good point. Button appears to be on inside of the rack so they have to climb on the roof to get to the skis. Dumb.

fun looking van but going on top of that just to get skis seems silly for daily skiing. maybe if they were just rolling into town from a road trip.....

Simple- how's that pop top fare in the winter?
    we thought about that route but thought it would be too chilly but maybe with a heater it's ok?
    we just got out espar installed and working so really haven't played around with it too much yet
    skid luxury

I don't pop the top until it is warm out. If wifey is around it doesnt go up all winter. She likes the two heaters we have. One suburban forced air and one lil buddy gets it to be a sauna in there.

If you are loading gear onto a van or pickup with a rack, a simple folding step stool is a must.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by simple View Post
    Good point. Button appears to be on inside of the rack so they have to climb on the roof to get to the skis. Dumb.
    If you are loading gear onto a van or pickup with a rack, a simple folding step stool is a must.

Quote Originally Posted by mooseknuckle View Post
    Did a van trip recently and my skis were juuuust too long to fit in the back cargo area without going into the main hallway blocking the closet/bathroom door. For day trips it makes sense to throw the skis inside but for extended trips, it's not optimal. Still looking for a solution but the ladder mounts we saw did look attractive, even with road grime.

Quote Originally Posted by babybear View Post
    fun looking van but going on top of that just to get skis seems silly for daily skiing. maybe if they were just rolling into town from a road trip.....

Simple- how's that pop top fare in the winter?
    we thought about that route but thought it would be too chilly but maybe with a heater it's ok?
    we just got out espar installed and working so really haven't played around with it too much yet
    Single data point: slept in my pop-up truck camper on Saturday night, nearby weather station says it was in the high teens all night. I had the forced air heater as low as I could set it and stayed plenty comfortable under a comforter and fleece blanket in the cabover. I know everyone says go hardside for winter, but in my limited experience so far the pop up is fine.

Colorado camper vans poptop is insulated.
    The pacifists always lose, because the anti-pacifists kill them.

Anyone in the Denver metro got a 4x4 shop they could recommend? Work I have in mind shouldn't be difficult but I want someone to advise and install for me that knows what their doing and can make recommendations.

Leaning towards a strut spacer kit (2" front / 1" rear: https://traxda.com/toyota/sienna/2013/906025.html) plus custom rear springs (+1" in height and +20-30% in load: http://coilsprings.com/) for the new rig.

Number of folks with 40k mi on this https://www.journeysoffroad.com/siennaliftkits.html -- but 3.5" strikes me as higher than I need to go and may make more compromises in handling than I'd prefer.

Also -- I know basically jack about this shit. So school me. Want just a few in more clearance for van esp during summer. Already upsized tire by 1" which worked well on 700mi round trip to Silverton.

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    Single data point: slept in my pop-up truck camper on Saturday night, nearby weather station says it was in the high teens all night. I had the forced air heater as low as I could set it and stayed plenty comfortable under a comforter and fleece blanket in the cabover. I know everyone says go hardside for winter, but in my limited experience so far the pop up is fine.
    YMMV -- but Jackson and Ogden valley when I stayed there was cold AF in my buddies pop top. High teens is mellow compared to some of those valley inversion temps which are often more like -10.

Sleeping isn't really the issue. A small heater combined with a good sleeping bag / comforter will be fine in most enclosed spaces unless it's brutally cold out.

But when it's well below freezing outside and it gets dark at 4, sitting around drinking beers for 5 hours before I crawl into bed requires ambient temp to be at least somewhat pleasant. Any poorly insulated, drafty setup is going to suck. That suckage may come in the form of cold temps and having to sit around in a sleeping bag, or it might just mean burning a shitload of fuel.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    Sleeping isn't really the issue. A small heater combined with a good sleeping bag / comforter will be fine in most enclosed spaces unless it's brutally cold out.

But when it's well below freezing outside and it gets dark at 4, sitting around drinking beers for 5 hours before I crawl into bed requires ambient temp to be at least somewhat pleasant. Any poorly insulated, drafty setup is going to suck. That suckage may come in the form of cold temps and having to sit around in a sleeping bag, or it might just mean burning a shitload of fuel.
    For sure, I mostly meant I was really surprised at how non-drafty the soft walls were and how well the soft walls retained heat. Perhaps my camper is using a better quality wall than others, I dunno.

For sure, I mostly meant I was really surprised at how non-drafty the soft walls were and how well the soft walls retained heat. Perhaps my camper is using a better quality wall than others, I dunno.
    Don't they make a winter insulation kit for those (FWC?) too? Were you using it?

Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    Anyone in the Denver metro got a 4x4 shop they could recommend? Work I have in mind shouldn't be difficult but I want someone to advise and install for me that knows what their doing and can make recommendations.

Leaning towards a strut spacer kit (2" front / 1" rear: https://traxda.com/toyota/sienna/2013/906025.html) plus custom rear springs (+1" in height and +20-30% in load: http://coilsprings.com/) for the new rig.

Number of folks with 40k mi on this https://www.journeysoffroad.com/siennaliftkits.html -- but 3.5" strikes me as higher than I need to go and may make more compromises in handling than I'd prefer.

Also -- I know basically jack about this shit. So school me. Want just a few in more clearance for van esp during summer. Already upsized tire by 1" which worked well on 700mi round trip to Silverton.
    what kind of mpg did you get on that Silverton trip ?
    www.freeridesystems.com
    ski & ride jackets made in colorado
    maggot discount code TGR20
    ok we'll come up with a solution by then makers....

Quote Originally Posted by Name Redacted View Post
    Don't they make a winter insulation kit for those (FWC?) too? Were you using it?
    Mine's an Outfitter, and no winter kit

Quote Originally Posted by Name Redacted View Post
    I've got a Northstar pop-up, without any insulating kit for the soft walls. It's cold in winter. I've read you can make your own insulating kit for the soft walls using reflectix, and stick it up in place with velcro. Haven't done any additional insulation on my camper though - maybe this summer...
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Mine's an Outfitter, and no winter kit
    Yeah, I bet some insulating panels along those soft sides could help if you plan on doing a lot of cold camping. I've seen custom ones for some brands but they can't be too tough to make either.