Page 208 of 508 FirstFirst ... 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 ... LastLast
Results 5,176 to 5,200 of 12696
    I saw a Honda Element pop-up camper driving around town the other day. Not sure how they would do in the winter, they are butt ugly vehicles, but are available in AWD.

Seems like a decent single dirtbag vehicle.
    "We had nice 3 days in your autonomous mountain realm last weekend." - Tom from Austria (the Rax ski guy)

Honda element awd is low speed only... it cuts out at like 35-40 mph.

Quote Originally Posted by m2711c View Post
    Honda element awd is low speed only... it cuts out at like 35-40 mph.
    Well that is dumb. Looks like some people are doing some Jeep conversions, but that would be a lot more expensive. Elements are like throw away vehicles.
    "We had nice 3 days in your autonomous mountain realm last weekend." - Tom from Austria (the Rax ski guy)

Sorry to interrupt here, but are prices really that absurd over the pond or is it just a certain nostalgia like we have with VWs? I thought 25k euros for a 15 year old rv were a bit steep(climbing buddy bought it recently had 110k miles on it) and 20k for 30 year old vw Bulli setups were downright absurd, but a 30 year old thing for 72k???

I paid 27k for a "mint" 10 year old rv setup (photo somewhere in here. 48k miles, double floorand huge heatable "garage" and other nice wintery extras) two years ago and thought I had paid too much, but prices have gone up since. ( see the thing my buddy bought both are ducato based. )

Sent from my BLA-L29 using TGR Forums mobile app
    It's a war of the mind and we're armed to the teeth.

Ya'll have way more small van-based RVs (class B?) over there than we do it seems. Doesnt surprise me that your used market isn't as crazy.

Mine is a full blown rv battleship. Here is a recent Pic from our surf trip to Ireland.

But yeah van based things drive around like swarms. Not so many skiers, but millions of climbers and surfers. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190817_085532.jpeg 
Views:	123 
Size:	84.8 KB 
ID:	297785

The whole #vanlife thing seems to be in the same vane as tiny houses. People that are fed up with materialism, high rents/house prices and rebelling against the idea of being tied down to a house for the next 30 plus years.

I don't personally believe the prices are being driven higher completely by people with extra cash that are using these on the weekends, which is why it is primarily the cheaper and smaller RVs that are seeing the biggest % increase in prices. Family sized RVs are not increasing at a rate any different then increasing vehicle prices caused by increased material and wage prices.

Quote Originally Posted by subtle plague View Post
    Mine is a full blown rv battleship. Here is a recent Pic from our surf trip to Ireland.

But yeah van based things drive around like swarms. Not so many skiers, but millions of climbers and surfers. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190817_085532.jpeg 
Views:	123 
Size:	84.8 KB 
ID:	297785

In the entire front range metro area (4mil people?), there are 2 comparable vehicles for sales on the local craigslist. https://denver.craigslist.org/search/rva?rv_type=2

Quote Originally Posted by pyromaniacman129 View Post
    Saw his for sale post on Instagram a while ago. Got flamed HARD for asking 45k.
    Gotta remember for the right person 45k is play money to have a hunting/broverland toy.
    And that person, to whom 45k is play money, is much more likely to spend it on something else. It would only be a hop and a skip to step up to a new, warrantied 6.7l, and a much newer pop-up.

45k for that thing is absolutely flame-worthy. People romanticize the fuck out of the 7.3l--too much, IMO.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by mattig View Post
    And that person, to whom 45k is play money, is much more likely to spend it on something else. It would only be a hop and a skip to step up to a new, warrantied 6.7l, and a much newer pop-up.

45k for that thing is absolutely flame-worthy. People romanticize the fuck out of the 7.3l--too much, IMO.

Not wrong. All I'm saying is I've seen people with F*** you money spend it on dumber stuff

Quote Originally Posted by pyromaniacman129 View Post
    Not wrong. All I'm saying is I've seen people with F*** you money spend it on dumber stuff
    Amen.

Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    In the entire front range metro area (4mil people?), there are 2 comparable vehicles for sales on the local craigslist. https://denver.craigslist.org/search/rva?rv_type=2
    Wow. OK here you'd still get something like this for 30k in every city with more than 50k people I'd guess.
    VW vanbased things are shooting through the roof here, (compared to the US it'd still be nothing), but other vans are still affordable.
    You can get something like this (very popular... a mix between van and mine)
    For 39k, new! http://www.poessl-mobile.de/cms/wp-c...spekt_2019.jpg

Edit: and gretch: same here Hipster vw vans sell for the same price as mine because no one wants an uncool family rv. I haven't seen one of those hipsters for more than one day at any parking lot though while I can do a week with my generator and two fresh propane bottles
    And have to heat it basically constantly because our 2 year old does not play outside for hours. Not to speak of showering every once in a while....

Those prices are still pretty stable but we're having a boom in all kinds of camper cars.

Quote Originally Posted by subtle plague View Post
    Wow. OK here you'd still get something like this for 30k in every city with more than 50k people I'd guess.
    VW vanbased things are shooting through the roof here, (compared to the US it'd still be nothing), but other vans are still affordable.
    You can get something like this (very popular... a mix between van and mine)
    For 39k, new! http://www.poessl-mobile.de/cms/wp-c...spekt_2019.jpg
    If someone sold those for 45k new in the US, people would be lining up to buy them. I don't know why such a thing doesn't exist (regulations? every american's innate right to own a truck?), but they don't. Which is why all the sprinter-based RVs that are built out are 70K plus.

I will say that in the States there may be a more legitimate desire to own something with decent clearance to access the mountain west's incredible network of crappy dirt roads.

Yeah money and road clearance. We Do have that. My wet dream would be one of these.:
    https://www.bimobil.com/modelle/fern...tionsmodebile/

I will say that in the States there may be a more legitimate desire to own something with decent clearance to access the mountain west's incredible network of crappy dirt roads.
    Although there's a pretty significant disconnect between the amount of clearance mostly people act like they need, and the amount of clearance they actually need.

Sure, there's plenty of crappy dirt roads out there. But most of the ones people are trying to take RVs up are just potholed and rough. And, of course, the legions of overpriced sprinters don't have particularly good clearance either. I'd bet those Class B things would go pretty much anywhere that a stock Sprinter could.

Well I drove up my huge rig to some boulder area parking lots and snowy mountain passes ( euro mountain passes not that highway kind of thing that is a "pass" in AK or Canada...) which were quite interesting so I'd say you don't need 4x4 and clearance in 90+% of the cases.

I owned a 4x4 vw Passat wagon and had about 3-5 days in 10 years (so roughly 150 snow on road days) where I needed it. Plus 10 days where it was just fun, but would have worked with 2wd and chains.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    Although there's a pretty significant disconnect between the amount of clearance mostly people act like they need, and the amount of clearance they actually need.

Sure, there's plenty of crappy dirt roads out there. But most of the ones people are trying to take RVs up are just potholed and rough. And, of course, the legions of overpriced sprinters don't have particularly good clearance either. I'd bet those Class B things would go pretty much anywhere that a stock Sprinter could.
    One big pothole can sure eff up a day with inattentive driving though. Oil pans are pretty easy to puncture. But I agree that most people's version of what they envision, vs what they use one of these things for are usually pretty different. An aftermarket skid plate can help if lower clearance is a concern.

I just found out Journey Off Road makes a 3.5" lift kit for AWD Siennas. That might make a nice Astro replacement in the next few years.

But a 5 year old one with 50k on it. Ditch the shitty run-flats that come stock for something a bit more aggressive (plus a true spare.) Add the lift kit eventually which brings it to just above Outback height. And still have a rig that is town friendly.

If someone sold those for 45k new in the US, people would be lining up to buy them. I don't know why such a thing doesn't exist .
    I think this is as close as we have to that in the US.
    https://www.reconcampers.com/envy
    keeping it at 45k would result in a less well equipped camper but it looks like you could get a pretty sweet setup for 53-61k, depending on the cost of the base vehicle. It wouldn’t have everything a Tiger or Sportsmobile would but stacks up against the VW based campers pretty good I think.

That’s still alot of money for that little thing. Super8 still more comfortable and cheaper....

Quote Originally Posted by Brownski View Post
    I think this is as close as we have to that in the US.
    https://www.reconcampers.com/envy
    keeping it at 45k would result in a less well equipped camper but it looks like you could get a pretty sweet setup for 53-61k, depending on the cost of the base vehicle. It wouldn’t have everything a Tiger or Sportsmobile would but stacks up against the VW based campers pretty good I think.
    Yeah...that isn't even close to the Poessl options. And you're talk 10-15K more, probably 20K more if you source a new base vehicle. The Poessl options are built on a full size platform, don't have to deal with a pop up, include a full bathroom/shower, a full kitchen, seating around a table for 4, and the ability to stand up with popping the top.

Quote Originally Posted by mattig View Post
    People romanticize the fuck out of the 7.3l--too much, IMO.
    Speaking of... if I were to be potentially selling an 2002 E450 7.3L dualie shuttle bus (seats 24 currently) with 98k and good mechanical shape, hitch and studded snows on it (ie ripe for a RV buildout) - what do you think the people would pay?

Yeah...that isn't even close to the Poessl options. And you're talk 10-15K more, probably 20K more if you source a new base vehicle. The Poessl options are built on a full size platform, don't have to deal with a pop up, include a full bathroom/shower, a full kitchen, seating around a table for 4, and the ability to stand up with popping the top.
    I agree all round, just saying that’s the best we got in new manufactured right now.

I just found out Journey Off Road makes a 3.5" lift kit for AWD Siennas. That might make a nice Astro replacement in the next few years.

But a 5 year old one with 50k on it. Ditch the shitty run-flats that come stock for something a bit more aggressive (plus a true spare.) Add the lift kit eventually which brings it to just above Outback height. And still have a rig that is town friendly.
    We've had a few AWD Sienna's and driven them plenty of places in Northern Maine where we shouldn't have. Still have one, wife loves it. The next one will look like this.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by alpinevibes View Post
    Speaking of... if I were to be potentially selling an 2002 E450 7.3L dualie shuttle bus (seats 24 currently) with 98k and good mechanical shape, hitch and studded snows on it (ie ripe for a RV buildout) - what do you think the people would pay?
    I'd guess $10-12k ish.