Page 19 of 510 FirstFirst ... 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ... LastLast
    I am thinking about using a 90's Delica as a starting point, if it's feasible to get it lifted... this one's for sale locally, for example.

Or I could get the newer body type... gonna check them out this weekend to see which is a better bet.

udp88: The advantage with a slide-in is you can just take it out when you're not using it and just have a nice truck to do whatever in Slide-ins often have really good insulation (or are easy to add more insulation to) due to their square bodies and flat walls. I'm not too sure whether or not that one is a good deal or not. I'd look up the blue book values of the truck and the camper first and compare. Also, it's always best to check things out in person (if possible). Good luck!

The Delica is an awesome platform, and you'll have a ton of fun with one Haha I'm pumped because the Dirtbag RVer population continues to grow!

It dropped to 2 degrees in the mountains last night, so soooooooon

Cheers!
    I eat, I sleep, I ski.

Quote Originally Posted by Trefmawr View Post
    udp88: The advantage with a slide-in is you can just take it out when you're not using it and just have a nice truck to do whatever in Slide-ins often have really good insulation (or are easy to add more insulation to) due to their square bodies and flat walls.
    Really? Don't you have to tear apart things to get to the walls though???

I'm not too sure whether or not that one is a good deal or not. I'd look up the blue book values of the truck and the camper first and compare.
    OH! You say there's a KBB or NADA-type lookup for campers?!?!?!? Please do share!!!!

www.delica.ca has all of your delica info needs. I like the L400 myself.
    Putting the "core" in corporate, one turn at a time.

Metalmücil 2010 - 2013 "Go Home" album is now a free download

The Bonin Petrels

Quote Originally Posted by udp88 View Post
    You say there's a KBB or NADA-type lookup for campers?!?!?!? Please do share!!!!
    That turns out to have been an easy search:

http://www.nadaguides.com/RVs

Haha sorry udp88 was going to post that, but I poach my internet so you beat me to it

There would be some dismantling involved with adding insulation, but that would only be if you needed it. Everything is square (usually) in slide-ins, well unless you have a deluxe super model or something, but from what I've seen, usually pretty basic setup. Everything is neat and straight for mobility.
    I eat, I sleep, I ski.

I have a truck camper setup here in BC and i'm planning to put a diesel dickinson heater they are gravity fed and require no power and produce DRY HEAT! they are used in fish boats here on the west coast forever check them out online. Peace Happy Parking!

Blue Velvet is for sale...details in gear swap...in CO
    Short version: "custom" older cabover, can fit smaller trucks, good ski-base.

http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...13#post3352213

I wanted to get a Delica but you cant here in the states. I ended up getting a toyota previa. The seats fold flat for sleeping, AWD, engine in the middle so it gets good traction. Only thing I don't like is the ground clearance is not that great. Estima is the modern version, I don't know much about them or if you can get one in Canada, but that might be an option too?

Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

while boondocking over the weekend the county constable shone his maglite in thru the window inches from our faces and scared us good - at 1AM. wow. felt vulnerable! what if it had not been a Sheriff?? I had not thought thru this scenario, alone in the backcountry (of WI) on a lake on private (papermill) property (near a public access boat launch) where we were positioned (with permission) for the weekend. it wasnt like parking in the skico pkg lot getting asked to move it. this was pure banjo land.

RV Defense Kit

My RV Defense Kit:

1 x 4 D-cell Maglite.
    1 x Aluminum Official T-Ball bat (nice, short swing radius, and lightweight).
    1 x Pepper Spray.
    1 x Air Horn (for lighting up curious meth heads).

I prefer my 40cal Glock.

That raises a question that is always at the back of the mind for many Van Dwellers/Dirtbags/Maggots; What to do when some unfriendly comes knocking?

There's a few responses to this, a couple of them just covered above.

1. Self-defence kit.

A few non-confrontational deterrents, such as an alarm/air horn, and s few up-close-and-painful options such as a bat or bear spray.

This is always a good idea to have at least some sort of alarm. Most of the time, the less than desirables that are disturbing you don't know who else could be around. Other people, law enforcement, etc., so sounding off an alarm can deter many would be troublemakers. However a determined attacker/thief may not.

2. A weapon.

Some people carry firearms, some people do not. I choose not to, but that doesn't me you shouldn't, it's up to you. I don't feel that I would run into the problem where I would have to use lethal force to defend myself, as I usually take steps to ensure I'm parked in a place that lacks that kind of danger.

It's a lot like how I ride my motorcycle. I do my best not to put myself in a position where another person, whether incidental or not, would endanger my life.

I also have a dog, and she let's me know when people are creeping around my van. I always make sure all my doors are locked and cannot be opened from the outside. Apart from breaking a window, which would wake me up rather quickly, and set Tika off into a barking frenzy, nobody is getting in.

Also, if trouble goes down, I can simply start the van and drive away. Or call the cops.

Preparation will go a long way. Amat Victoria Curam.

Here's what I use:

Bear Spray - I do a lot of hiking so this is a must anyways.
    Bear Bangers and flares - See above.
    Air Horn - Again for bears, but will do in a pinch.
    Tika - My chocolate lab does a good job letting me know what's up

Last resort, I have a kukri machete.

Cheers, and stay safe out there!
    I eat, I sleep, I ski.

i thought about rigging up my rocket box with a high powered marine strobe light inside it that would go off if anyone was doing any unauthorized nighttime removal of skis.

pretty sure it would be like getting hit with an ax handle on the bridge of the nose.
    In search of the elusive artic powder weasel ...

Weapons laws in RVs

That raises a question that is always at the back of the mind for many Van Dwellers/Dirtbags/Maggots; What to do when some unfriendly comes knocking?

There's a few responses to this, a couple of them just covered above.

1. Self-defence kit.

2. A weapon.
    What are the general laws for carrying firearms in a RV? They probably vary from state to state, but should be some general similarities. Like for cars I think it's generally required you carry stuff locked in the trunk (I guess unless you have a carry permit). Anyone know 'bout RVs?

Diesel Heat!

Quote Originally Posted by islandstyln View Post
    I have a truck camper setup here in BC and i'm planning to put a diesel dickinson heater they are gravity fed and require no power and produce DRY HEAT! they are used in fish boats here on the west coast forever check them out online. Peace Happy Parking!
    That's sick

Make sure to post pics and anecdotes! I've read people saying they'd never go near diesel appliances for the smell/mess, and others that say that kind of problem is a thing of the past. Sure would be nice to have heat sourced from where you have a lot more spare fuel for long boondocking spells.

Got the 3" lifted springs in and the high steer stuff, putting the longer shocks on today. Interior is sort of done. Has a bit of sag in the rear, so I'll probably put some airbags back there to accommodate the future loads. Going to drive it around like this for the next couple months, then finish it up mid winter (pop top, water tank, sink, stove, solar, etc).

I guess this circus mobile will be my vehicle for LCC/BCC when it's "4x4 or chains only". Sorry in advance for slowing down all the bro/bras in your turbo charged Subi STI's with low profile wheels and associated wank. At least I won't have to dig out a spot when I pull into Argenta for a lap Oh yeah, insurance is $9.00 a month, even with my four speeding tickets on my record right now.

Quote Originally Posted by udp88 View Post
    What are the general laws for carrying firearms in a RV? They probably vary from state to state, but should be some general similarities. Like for cars I think it's generally required you carry stuff locked in the trunk (I guess unless you have a carry permit). Anyone know 'bout RVs?
    In my state, if you are "camping", it is the same as being in your home for gun laws. Your campsite can be defended ,same as your home. You do not need a permit,and your gun can be loaded and available. In fact,the only reason I own a gun is for camping alone in the desert.However, you cant shoot someone for stealing your skis unless you believe you are in mortal danger.
    picador

Average speed up LCC was 30-32mph. I can live with that.

Redneck photo shoot.

Sweet jesus, that thing is fucking badass. Definitely makes me want to do a foam core popup for the back of the Toyota, already have the flatbed.
    Life is simple. Go Explore.

Quote Originally Posted by That was Pontus View Post
    Sweet jesus, that thing is fucking badass. Definitely makes me want to do a foam core popup for the back of the Toyota, already have the flatbed.
    Might as well. Make it removable and it would be awesome.

I'm buying a beater Toyota in the future to build another camper. Maybe not for another couple years. Learned a lot building this one.

fuck ya!!!

Last resort, I have a kukri machete.

Cheers, and stay safe out there!

Nothing says GTFO like a giant knife pointed at someones face in the dead of night.
    I know that's not what you're going for there, but still.

Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.