Page 181 of 510 FirstFirst ... 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 ... LastLast
Results 4,501 to 4,525 of 12727
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobcat Sig View Post
    I could see that.
    But as a comparison, I switched to a '16 f350 with a 6.7 diesel. And yeah, the engine and transmission give roughly zero shits about the weight of the camper, which is awesome. And the truck in general is much, much happier. But even the newer truck would / will benefit from some airbags. I think a '16 f250 with the same motor / transmission would feel pretty overloaded with the camper. It'd definitely need bags, and maybe some additional tweaks.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    But as a comparison, I switched to a '16 f350 with a 6.7 diesel. And yeah, the engine and transmission give roughly zero shits about the weight of the camper, which is awesome. And the truck in general is much, much happier. But even the newer truck would / will benefit from some airbags. I think a '16 f250 with the same motor / transmission would feel pretty overloaded with the camper. It'd definitely need bags, and maybe some additional tweaks.
    I hear you. My '16 Duramax has bags with an in-cab fill switch and guage. It's pretty slick.

The guy I met with yesterday about the Lance had the same truck, albeit an '11, and was pretty straight forward about it all. Sure, he has motivation to tell me whatever in an effort to sell the camper... Still seems like it would work. I mean, what's the worst that coupld happen?

Quote Originally Posted by North View Post
    150+ nights in my AWD Express and fully stoked. That said I still obsess over the "perfect rig" and drool over rigs like this:

https://expeditionportal.com/expedit...basecamp-f550/

- Truck + slide in camper is still my pick for value and versatility
    - 4WD/AWD van is a great compromise for those w/o space to store a truck and camper
    - The truck w/custom box or van w/box seems tits but I can't decide if it's really worth sacrificing the versatility of regular P/U w/camper

Finally, snowmobiles complicate everything, and if I didn't want to own/tow one this would all be so much easier/cheaper.
    I've been drooling over that rig on expo for a while.
    Pretty cool setup but MONSTER of a truck. Not going off road in many places.

Don't be this guy. He tried to pull into the RV park we are at in Flagstaff yesterday. He got stuck pulling in, the instant the rear dual tires touched the snow, with the 5th wheel blocking the traffic on US89. Took him about 5 hours to get less than 100 yards.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I hear you. My '16 Duramax has bags with an in-cab fill switch and guage. It's pretty slick.

The guy I met with yesterday about the Lance had the same truck, albeit an '11, and was pretty straight forward about it all. Sure, he has motivation to tell me whatever in an effort to sell the camper... Still seems like it would work. I mean, what's the worst that coupld happen?
    Camped next to a dude with my same truck and another 1000lbs of camper. Stock tires and airbags. And he hasn't died. Slightly older Lance. You'll probably be fine. I don't think there's a difference between yours and the 1 ton other than suspension.

In other news, I need a good snow rake for roofs that will still fit in the camper. Any recs?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by mattig View Post
    ...I need a good snow rake for roofs that will still fit in the camper. Any recs?
    Snow Brum. Get a fiberglass/solid fixed handle. The aluminum telescoping handle will bend on your first trip.

Spotted this rig in the parking lot today. Ontario plates, wood stove, chainsaw mounted on front fender. Looked like a sea can convert.
    Long way from home

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by mooseknuckles View Post
    Snow Brum. Get a fiberglass/solid fixed handle. The aluminum telescoping handle will bend on your first trip.
    Thank you. Yeah, I bent an aluminum handled broom today. This one doesn't look like it's long enough to reach all the snow up on top of a truck camper. Am I missing something?

I have this "Snow hoe" thing that I bought around Tahoe awhile back, which I use to clear snow off the trailer and camper roof. It has a standard threaded insert that matches a broom handle - I use it on a telescoping fiberglass pole that came with a ceiling can light bulb changer from Home Depot. It's kind of a flimsy pole but hasn't broken yet.

https://www.snohoe.com
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Well, I do love hoes...

Especially if they can accept an extended pole.

Quote Originally Posted by FatChance View Post
    Don't be this guy. He tried to pull into the RV park we are at in Flagstaff yesterday. He got stuck pulling in, the instant the rear dual tires touched the snow, with the 5th wheel blocking the traffic on US89. Took him about 5 hours to get less than 100 yards.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    Yikes! That's a monster of a fifth wheel. Why would someone ever try to take that anywhere near snow? It's also the reason why trailers and snow are a no-go for me. I did see quite a few in the Mt Bachelor parking lot this weekend. Maybe they chained up or have been there for a few days?

Quote Originally Posted by pano-dude View Post
    Spotted this rig in the parking lot today. Ontario plates, wood stove, chainsaw mounted on front fender. Looked like a sea can convert.
    Long way from home

That. Is. Rad.

Thank you. Yeah, I bent an aluminum handled broom today. This one doesn't look like it's long enough to reach all the snow up on top of a truck camper. Am I missing something?

I think there's a joke in there about a pole, a box and it being too big.... but I just can't place it...

Also, spotted this in the lot at Bachelor today. If the TGR wisdom stands, he clearly he should've pizza'd when he french-fried...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bOp5Ln+wRFKhErIaLvstVw.jpg 
Views:	156 
Size:	851.6 KB 
ID:	271321

Quote Originally Posted by pano-dude View Post
    Long way from home

FKNA awesome

That will be for sale at some point. Well, either the truck or the camper. One major winter storm drive and the regret will kick in.

Quote Originally Posted by simple View Post
    That will be for sale at some point. Well, either the truck or the camper. One major winter storm drive and the regret will kick in.
    Yah, but it sure makes for some killer Instagram content. #vanlife

Quote Originally Posted by mooseknuckles View Post
    https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...15#post3857515

Also, spotted this in the lot at Bachelor today. If the TGR wisdom stands, he clearly he should've pizza'd when he french-fried...
    That rear tie down is hilarious. Plus it's loaded directly on the sheet metal and tailgate. Total JONG move.

Quote Originally Posted by jackattack View Post
    That rear tie down is hilarious. Plus it's loaded directly on the sheet metal and tailgate. Total JONG move.
    Those are Torklift frame mounted brackets, with what look like Happijac tie downs. That part looks fine - the camper is ridiculously overly large for a short bed F150 though. Must be terrifying to drive.
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    Those are Torklift frame mounted brackets, with what look like Happijac tie downs. That part looks fine - the camper is ridiculously overly large for a short bed F150 though. Must be terrifying to drive.
    That was sort of my point. Even as a camper JONG, that didn't seem like a correct fit. Sure, there are campers made for short-bed half-ton trucks... that doesn't seem to be one.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bOp5Ln+wRFKhErIaLvstVw.jpg 
Views:	156 
Size:	851.6 KB 
ID:	271321
    1 finger steering I bet...

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    Sure the equipment is fine, but that wasn't what I was commenting on. The length of that tie down, necessitated by the size of the camper, is still comical.

Quote Originally Posted by Leavenworth Skier View Post
    1 finger steering I bet...
    Nah. Definitely more of a shocker...

That was sort of my point. Even as a camper JONG, that didn't seem like a correct fit. Sure, there are campers made for short-bed half-ton trucks... that doesn't seem to be one.
    Just a quick look at Adventurer's website shows that their smallest, lightest camper is about 2000 lbs wet. An F150 like that could, depending on configuration, have a payload somewhere in the 2500 lb ballpark.

So as long as he doesn't bring any gear, drives the truck by himself, and doesn't put any beer in the fridge, he's technically ok.

Quote Originally Posted by jackattack View Post
    Sure the equipment is fine, but that wasn't what I was commenting on. The length of that tie down, necessitated by the size of the camper, is still comical.
    Got it. Also, the center of gravity on that camper is pushed way far back on that truck - overall it looks like a recipe for disaster.

I've been googling to see if there are any options for my replacement truck other than the usual 3/4- 1 ton trucks from the big three. Don't think there are... But I did find that Nissan made the first generation Titan with an 8' bed and extended cab, circa 2008-2014. Unfortunately the payload rating is just not high enough. It'd make a good platform for a FWC though.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    Just a quick look at Adventurer's website shows that their smallest, lightest camper is about 2000 lbs wet. An F150 like that could, depending on configuration, have a payload somewhere in the 2500 lb ballpark.

So as long as he doesn't bring any gear, drives the truck by himself, and doesn't put any beer in the fridge, he's technically ok.
    No beer? Fuck it, I'm out.