Page 172 of 510 FirstFirst ... 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 ... LastLast
Results 4,276 to 4,300 of 12727
    Interesting. I still would have concerns about loading up a 1/2-ton that heavy. There are differences between 1/2-ton trucks vs 3/4 and 1-ton: frame, brakes, suspension parts (not just how stiff the springs are), cooling. Unloaded, the F150 would likely drive nicer and get better mileage - so if I were moving a camper on and off frequently, using the truck as a daily driver, that would have some appeal. I still think I'd select a very light camper like a FWC.

There's not much difference between 3/4- and 1-ton trucks. Sometimes it's just a stiffer rear spring pack. If you want a dually, those are 1-ton only. Sometimes you can get a heavy duty wheel option on 1-ton (19.5s). If you want an 8-foot bed, I don't know if you can get those in 1/2 ton trucks anymore, other than single cab.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    Can we at least agree that you should test drive the vehicles you are considering with the loads/configuration you are planning to use it for?
    That'd be ideal, but what dealership would let you load 2000-3000# into a new truck for a test drive?
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    That'd be ideal, but what dealership would let you load 2000-3000# into a new truck for a test drive?
    All of them? You ever ask? Just make it non-negotiable. I've hooked up 20K goosenecks on $70K pickups and driven into the mountains. All my excavator redneck contractor friends do it.

All of them? You ever ask? Just make it non-negotiable. I've hooked up 20K goosenecks on $70K pickups and driven into the mountains. All my excavator redneck contractor friends do it.
    I've never asked. My truck shopping is at the very used end of the market.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    There's not much difference between 3/4- and 1-ton trucks. Sometimes it's just a stiffer rear spring pack.
    there used to be a bigger distinction with tweener axles in the front, etc but these days the only difference seems to be a sticker and a badge until you get in to DRW territory. There is a big difference between a DRW F350, 450 and 550 in terms of beef in axles and suspension. Not so much in a SRW 250 and 350.

Yeah, the right dealers will let you. In my experience, I had to be pretty well committed to buying the camper before they'd let me "test load" it. better bet would be to get a buddy involved who had a similar camper.

EC, a FWC sorta obviates most of the payload horse trading. You can pretty much get whatever you like.

My take has always been that you get a 3/4 ton if you're towing, a 1 ton if you're hauling weight in the bed, and a 1/2 ton if you want all the downsides of a full size pickup without actually being able to tow or haul much with it, but you'll look cool at your kid's soccer game.

Good rules. How does a Raptor fit into them?

Quote Originally Posted by simple View Post
    Good rules. How does a Raptor fit into them?
    You'll look cool while you're buying your white oakley's and getting your spikey hair frosted?

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    You'll look cool while you're buying your white oakley's and getting your spikey hair frosted?
    Ive never understood the appeal of the raptor. You're essentially buying an overpriced truck that doesn't really Excel at anything. It's decent at wheeling but not really, can kinda be a prerunner haul ass through dunes truck (if you don't break it), can't tow or haul much.
    I'd rather take the difference in $$ and mod an old taco or f-250 or something to my liking depending on which way I'm trying to go with it. I don't think it would be a good choice as a camping rig.

/thread derailment

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by pyromaniacman129 View Post
    Ive never understood the appeal of the raptor. You're essentially buying an overpriced truck that doesn't really Excel at anything. It's decent at wheeling but not really, can kinda be a prerunner haul ass through dunes truck (if you don't break it), can't tow or haul much.
    I'd rather take the difference in $$ and mod an old taco or f-250 or something to my liking depending on which way I'm trying to go with it. I don't think it would be a good choice as a camping rig.

/thread derailment

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    You clearly haven't driven one, they are like an off-road spaceship. I had the same opinion until I drove one.

I'd love a Raptor to blast around forest roads through Idaho. It Is not going to rock crawl but only morons rock crawl in brand new half tons.

But haul ass 10 miles into the woods opposed to a slow roll at 15-20 yes please.

The tow capacity does suck though. I'm pretty sure there are some not so old sedans that can out tow a Raptor.
    Live Free or Die

People spend more money or less practical vehicles than a Raptor. Its a luxury item like a Merc, Lexus etc. As LVS said, they are pretty impressive machines. I think you should put a camper in one.

People spend more money or less practical vehicles than a Raptor. Its a luxury item like a Merc, Lexus etc. As LVS said, they are pretty impressive machines. I think you should put a camper in one.
    Still 30 - 40k less than a new 200 series LC, G-Wagon, or a Land Rover. Fits 35" tires stock. Makes a gravel road feel like pavement. And it drives like an oversized sports car. 0-60 in 5 second is real. I think a Raptor with a FWC on it would be a really badass adventure rig - probably way better than a Tacoma all fitted out with the typical "overland" shit.

It's not the best wheeler or baja truck but for what most of us ACTUALLY do (ie drive shitty gravel roads) it's awesome.

I got a ride in the fox suspension raptor with all the ridiculous fox suspension upgrades. That thing was unreal - 50mph through sand whoops felt like a casual cruise.

But unless I had a very deep wallet, I wouldn't be rallying a $70k truck all that hard for fear of breaking it. And if I had that kind of fuck-you money, I'd probably build a rig from scratch (off the shelf trophy trucks are for posers). And since I don't have that kind of money, if I'm gonna get a vehicle to blast around on shitty roads, I'd rather have a $10k beater taco with another $10k in suspension upgrades.

See everyone secretly wants one but few have the balls to buy it....even fewer have the huge balls to put a camper on it

Quote Originally Posted by simple View Post
    See everyone secretly wants one but few have the balls to buy it....even fewer have the huge balls to put a camper on it
    I imagine it'd go something like this.

Ok this just popped up. Someone buy this please!

https://rockies.craigslist.org/rvs/d...790428508.html

That is a fucking unicorn in the lower 48.

That’s a helluva rig.

^^ yup. nice!!
    If we're gonna wear uniforms, we should all wear somethin' different!

unicorn because of the power plant? Seen a few bigfoot 4wd rigs over the past few years during my search. I know at least one was a conversion.

That thing is sweeeeeeet!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Kopi_Red View Post
    That thing is sweeeeeeet!!!
    looks like the farm has some equipment to purchase for 2019?

Quote Originally Posted by Leavenworth Skier View Post
    looks like the farm has some equipment to purchase for 2019?
    Talked to the owner. His kids are grown up and they are going to a diesel pusher most likely.