Page 157 of 510 FirstFirst ... 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 ... LastLast
Results 3,901 to 3,925 of 12727
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldo View Post
    Nice! What year? Carb or FI? That can really make a difference.
    It's an 89, fuel injected 351.

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Quote Originally Posted by pano-dude View Post
    It's an 89, fuel injected 351.
    Cool. Mine is an 89 GMC with a FI 305. Odometer is 240k and I can just about get 20 mpg imperial highway driving.

The FI means it starts fine in -30s, or did when I was still in Calgary.

Lived in it the past 6 months.

Any mags in Blackhawk, CO? Got my eye on a camper, but need to make sure it's a legit deal before driving out from PDX.

Link us

Oh man, don't gank my camper though!

https://denver.craigslist.org/rvs/d/...733109773.html

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

It fits a Tacoma and nearly new? Yeah that will sell quick around here. Give them a deposit

Quote Originally Posted by mattig View Post
    Oh man, don't gank my camper though!

https://denver.craigslist.org/rvs/d/...733109773.html

you're gonna want to sell that after the first windy night up at the ski resort with your family.

Yup. Popups are for the desert.

Quote Originally Posted by Leavenworth Skier View Post
    you're gonna want to sell that after the first windy night up at the ski resort with your family.
    Nope. My Phoenix popup has 2 layers of Thinsulate knock off sandwiched between 2 layers of fabric. The whole truck and camper shakes when it is real windy but no different than a hard side except it handles better then a hard side when driving in a wind storm with the top down.

You have a $15g budget and none available in PDX at that range?
    I could run out there and send you photos, not really sure what I'd be looking at though.

Quote Originally Posted by Leavenworth Skier View Post
    Worried about this, yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Norseman View Post
    Yup. Popups are for the desert.
    Still worried!

Quote Originally Posted by DanoT View Post
    Nope. My Phoenix popup has 2 layers of Thinsulate knock off sandwiched between 2 layers of fabric. The whole truck and camper shakes when it is real windy but no different than a hard side except it handles better then a hard side when driving in a wind storm with the top down.
    But wait!!

Much indecision. At this point, I'm just looking for something to scrape by while I put some more thought into a 4x4 sprinter (and plan my own build... aftermarket is stupid inflated)

Quote Originally Posted by Rideski View Post
    You have a $15g budget and none available in PDX at that range?
    I could run out there and send you photos, not really sure what I'd be looking at though.
    Definitely stuff available in PDX, but very little that would work with my existing truck (Crewmax Tundra. Yes, I know...). Hallmark is a great brand, but a 4WC raven or Hawk would work as well.

All this having been said, I wouldn't lose much money if I just traded in my truck for a 4x4 sprinter. I could throw an air mattress and camp stove in there and just make do until I figure out what's important to build in. Bed, ski rack, heat, inverter for boot dryers, ventilation, stripper pole. I can worry about other non-essentials later.

Anyway, someone should buy that Hallmark. I highly doubt I'm gonna want to drive all the way out there and all the way back anyway.

Just got done reading a bit more and someone raised the very good point about sound intrusion (snow-plows, etc) in the middle of the night. Another mark in favor of something fully contained inside a factory vehicle. So I think I'm down to the two contenders:

1. New, bigger truck with big nasty hard side camper

2. hipster van

Leaning hipster van now.

Quote Originally Posted by mattig View Post
    4x4 sprinter. I could throw an air mattress and camp stove in there and just make do until I figure out what's important to build in. Bed, ski rack, heat, inverter for boot dryers, ventilation, stripper pole. I can worry about other non-essentials later.
    1. insulation

2. stripper pole
    3. heat
    4. inverter
    5. etc

If you put two strippers together they generate quite a bit of heat.

shit... embarrassing lapse in judgment while laying out priorities. Thanks for getting me back on track!

Quote Originally Posted by LightRanger View Post
    Scary. Not registered, questionable title documents....
    I did that once years ago. California DMV May be collecting more than the sale price.

If you put two strippers together they generate quite a bit of heat.
    but you'll need more than two to keep em going all night

Quote Originally Posted by acinpdx View Post
    but you'll need more than two to keep em going all night
    Survey says... no.

Survey says... no.
    I can vouch for that
    ​I am not in your hurry

The pop up will be fine for winter and summer use. A decent heater/furnace paired with a 20/30lb propane will go a long ways.
    But, if this is a dedicated camping rig as in you will be using a truck + this camper exclusively then I would go for hardside.
    If you are like me, who daily drives a 3/4 ton diesel truck with a pop-up camper. Yeah...the pop-up makes way more sense.

Yeah, if I go camper route, it would have to stay on all winter. It would only be used on Saturday nights up at the ski lot because we have a 2 hour drive with no traffic.

Thanks for advice. I think a pop up would get the job done but might not be ideal for our purposes. At least that's how I feel today.

Curveball! Just talked to these guys: https://capricamper.com/models/retreat/

Hard-sides. Winter proven. Light weight (1100lb or less). And the price is right. Then I'd have time to think if I want to spend all that money to do a van.

Couple used ones floating around.

Capri's are awesome. Rodeo cowboys been into them for decades. Sheep hearder's rig of choice.

Just so we're clear on the points made on pop-up vs hardside in the PNW, mattig & others...

West of the Cascade crest in WA and OR, winter weather is too consistently wet for the fabrics of a pop-up to dry. They mildew and rot in like two or three years if kept outside. Indoor parking is just about mandatory, where the camper can be popped and dried fully after each outing.

East of the crest... not a problem, and youbetcha I'd have one if I lived out there, or anywhere in the Rockies or Southwest. Warmth isn't a huge problem for hardy skifolk, though the 4-season hardsides are way easier to keep warm for wives and chiles.

Less critical, though still a factor for ski camping, is the snow loading. I've seen Big Steve's nice FWC sag alarmingly under a foot of heavy pow at Alpy, to the point that I'd be afraid to sleep in such a space. Two feet of 20% density snow, on the area of my camper roof, weighs over 3000 pounds.

The best conditions to have a ski camper include the max nuke stormage, but in heavy and abundant coastal pow, popups are a chore to constantly clear.

Here's my rig at Alpy, for reference:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2018-11-02_12-33-00.jpg 
Views:	194 
Size:	61.4 KB 
ID:	253716