Page 146 of 510 FirstFirst ... 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 ... LastLast
Results 3,626 to 3,650 of 12727
    Agree with the above about power of gas vs diesel
    Here is the reason I am going with the 6.2L gas instead of the 6.7 PowerStroke.
    I am getting a newer truck, with lower mileage, for literally $10k+ less than the diesel equivalent.
    I do not need the power a diesel has. 2k camper + occasionally pulling a 2500lb trailer means I do not simply need the additional power on a day-to-day basis.
    If you have the money, then just go diesel and never look back. If you are on a budget, well that $10k savings is huge.

The comments on this thread about the 6.2 Ford gas motor and the availability of those trucks for (comparatively) less $ have me thinking about upgrading my 2000 GMC 6.0 gas truck. I figure it's pretty much bottomed out in pricing and somebody out there will buy it for a work truck. Maybe it's time to get something less rusty and nicer inside.

Any Ford enthusiasts know of a FAQ on the F250/350 trucks? What to watch for, good/bad, etc? I would be looking for a longbed, extended cab or crew cab, 4WD.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    The comments on this thread about the 6.2 Ford gas motor and the availability of those trucks for (comparatively) less $ have me thinking about upgrading my 2000 GMC 6.0 gas truck. I figure it's pretty much bottomed out in pricing and somebody out there will buy it for a work truck. Maybe it's time to get something less rusty and nicer inside.

Any Ford enthusiasts know of a FAQ on the F250/350 trucks? What to watch for, good/bad, etc? I would be looking for a longbed, extended cab or crew cab, 4WD.
    The main issue with the Ford super duties has been the motors. So far (having owned mine for about a year) everything else seems to be really solid. Good axles, transmission, well designed cabs, good electronics, etc.

Thanks! All those years in high school woodshop paid off I guess...

Quote Originally Posted by shredgnar View Post
    One of the better custom builds I've seen. Mainly because although it's a pop-up style, it is still insulated so probably decent in the winter. I'd buy a production version, especially if built for a full-sized truck. Unfortunately, my time/skill level for this sort of build is lacking.

https://imgur.com/gallery/RokIb

That was a great read. Impressive craftsmanship.

Quote Originally Posted by Leavenworth Skier View Post
    The main issue with the Ford super duties has been the motors. So far (having owned mine for about a year) everything else seems to be really solid. Good axles, transmission, well designed cabs, good electronics, etc.
    Thanks. Are the GM trucks better/worse in any area? Gas GMs similarly priced to the Fords? I don't have any particular brand loyalty, just more familiar with the GM stuff.

Still have a general feeling that Dodges have more issues, particularly transmissions.
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    Gas GMs. . .
    AFM is a disaster. Yeah yeah, I know it can be disabled, but not without risk.

Only if I can test drive gas and diesel with camper on it... I still think I want the gas truck for the price of truck and upkeep of truck.

I don’t like what the GM did to Saab so I’m not buying anything from them even if it’s used. I’ll keep looking for a truck with all the options I want but I might have to settle on something and I want to know what’s possible after the purchase to get that ultimate truck for me...

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by tmokes View Post
    Only if I can test drive gas and diesel with camper on it... I still think I want the gas truck for the price of truck and upkeep of truck.

I don’t like what the GM did to Saab so I’m not buying anything from them even if it’s used. I’ll keep looking for a truck with all the options I want but I might have to settle on something and I want to know what’s possible after the purchase to get that ultimate truck for me...

I don't think Ford did much for Volvo and if it wasn't for the Chinese car company Geely buying Volvo, then Volvo would probably be out of business just like Saab. So, tmokes, in order for you to be consistent and avoid being a hypocrite I guess you can't buy a Ford either.

I don’t own Volvo but I do own Saab and I like my Saab. Personal and not political reason.

Quote Originally Posted by GeezerSteve View Post
    AFM is a disaster. Yeah yeah, I know it can be disabled, but not without risk.
    Thanks. I have some researching to do before making any moves.

We have a '04 F-250 crew cab with the 5.4 L V-8. Old beater Northland truck camper in it. So far knock on wood it's going strong. Bought it for $10K with 99K on her and is now near 123K.

Did brakes and tires when I got it. Other than that, sway bar links and bushings it's going strong. Does 60 mph up Georgetown hill. Mileage isn't great but petrol is cheaper than diesel.

Bought camper for around $2K. All in all it's been a fantastic rig and used all year. Truck is down and dirty basic. Vinyl floor, crank windows. Manual locks. All easy to fix myself if and when something shits the bed.

Quote Originally Posted by goldengatestinx View Post
    We have a '04 F-250 crew cab with the 5.4 L V-8. Old beater Northland truck camper in it. So far knock on wood it's going strong. Bought it for $10K with 99K on her and is now near 123K.

Did brakes and tires when I got it. Other than that, sway bar links and bushings it's going strong. Does 60 mph up Georgetown hill. Mileage isn't great but petrol is cheaper than diesel.

Bought camper for around $2K. All in all it's been a fantastic rig and used all year. Truck is down and dirty basic. Vinyl floor, crank windows. Manual locks. All easy to fix myself if and when something shits the bed.
    I had a 04' F-150 FX4 w/ 5.4 V8. I had a hair over 200k on it, only thing that was a PITA was the 3 piece spark plug change at 185k. I should've never sold it but that's life.

There is a lot of mis information in this thread. I think the smart person term is "confirmation bias".

Most of this is covered in the "Trucks" thread but here goes anyway.

You gotta either need a diesel or want a diesel to make it work. Campers don't need an oil burner. Gassers have lower cost of owner shit. Torque is fun for torque is expensive. If you are going to go diesel, pony up for a a tried and true older model or buy under warranty.

You can just about buy a gasser crate motor for what you pay to have new injectors put in a Duramax.

Despite all the increased payload ratings on the new models, don't get a half ton to haul any serious weight. They ride nice but are glorified grocery getters. It is just not save and you don't save any money in the long run.

You want the beef running gear, trans and trans cooler. But 3/4 and 1 tons ride like shit empty. So there is that. You can do the grocery getter/camper but you need to spend money to keep the weight down.

All the sayings about boats are true about RVs. They don't just do themselves.

But hey...vanlife the fuck out of it. What do I know.

i'm liking scrolling through the last couple pgs of this thread

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderBreak View Post
    this is our same vehicle. still bare inside though aside from the sound dampening stuff
    we just received our vent/fan, side window (we're going side window on passenger side/ still deciding on back windows) have insulation panels

I think we will do about this same bed height (bikes underneath) but maybe a little bench in front of the bed and we are undecided about the sink.

Also got the swivel seat kits although it does feel like we already sit up quite high in the front seats so adding another 2" will be interesting to see
    we've read that there are some bases that are compatible that then drop the seats an 1.5" almost negating it, but so hard to justify the extra 300-400 for that
    skid luxury

Quote Originally Posted by Tryingtostaywarm View Post
    I had a 04' F-150 FX4 w/ 5.4 V8. I had a hair over 200k on it, only thing that was a PITA was the 3 piece spark plug change at 185k. I should've never sold it but that's life.
    3 piece spark plug change...I'm dreading that. Did you get all the pieces out?

Before I bought it I did a lot of shopping and research on diesel vs gas. Never having had a diesel I ended up going with what I know. And as others have pointed out, the diesel maintenance cost and higher fuel cost offsets the lower gas mileage. And it starts even after sitting for weeks in 0 deg weather.

Quote Originally Posted by goldengatestinx View Post
    3 piece spark plug change...I'm dreading that. Did you get all the pieces out?

Before I bought it I did a lot of shopping and research on diesel vs gas. Never having had a diesel I ended up going with what I know. And as others have pointed out, the diesel maintenance cost and higher fuel cost offsets the lower gas mileage. And it starts even after sitting for weeks in 0 deg weather.
    So, what I did with this. My local mechanic shop is a mom & pop with an awesome master mechanic who works there.
    With that, I soaked my plugs for 48 hours, re-spraying with PB blaster after the initial 24. Took it to my mechanic, and let him finish the job. He did not break any, but he broke them free, PB blasted let it sit another 24 hours then removed them. Any that he had resistance on the way out he just re-sprayed and waited a few minutes.
    I had already bought the extraction tool, and I was going to do it myself. I would consider myself a competent mechanic(I've rebuilt motors/tranny's in the past, and typically do all my own vehicle maintenance), but I did not have a shop and was tired of working on my truck in the street while it was snowing outside at the time. Furthermore, if one broke and it couldn't be extracted then you have to remove the heads and I basically reasoned that I would just take it to my guy so if they did break then my truck would already be at the shop.
    Long story short: If you have the time, it really isn't a big deal. If you have a few days to let the truck sit, let them soak, break them free, spray them again, rinse and repeat...that seems to be the success.

Quote Originally Posted by Tryingtostaywarm View Post
    So, what I did with this. My local mechanic shop is a mom & pop with an awesome master mechanic who works there.
    With that, I soaked my plugs for 48 hours, re-spraying with PB blaster after the initial 24. Took it to my mechanic, and let him finish the job. He did not break any, but he broke them free, PB blasted let it sit another 24 hours then removed them. Any that he had resistance on the way out he just re-sprayed and waited a few minutes.
    I had already bought the extraction tool, and I was going to do it myself. I would consider myself a competent mechanic(I've rebuilt motors/tranny's in the past, and typically do all my own vehicle maintenance), but I did not have a shop and was tired of working on my truck in the street while it was snowing outside at the time. Furthermore, if one broke and it couldn't be extracted then you have to remove the heads and I basically reasoned that I would just take it to my guy so if they did break then my truck would already be at the shop.
    Long story short: If you have the time, it really isn't a big deal. If you have a few days to let the truck sit, let them soak, break them free, spray them again, rinse and repeat...that seems to be the success.
    Cool, thanks TTSW, that's generally what I had thought if I did decide to do that chore. It's running well now so it'll be fun for a future date.

Cool looking topper. The tool boxes on the side would be functional for tool and camping gear but decrease sleeping room. Wonder if they make it more likely to be broken into? I really like the barn doors on the back.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	EE89D0B3-3E7A-423F-9592-A8FF8201D1E2.jpg 
Views:	189 
Size:	330.7 KB 
ID:	231762

thats the kind of rig that use to travel cross country to sell cali weed in the east. look for them on humboldt environs CL, should be cheap now that price has plummeted for the goods

"Give Your Sprinter to a Real Dirtbag!"
    https://www.outsideonline.com/229517...r-real-dirtbag

Gotta say, I think Cedar has convinced me to stave off the impulse to buy a Sprinter van....for at least one more year.

Nice! Its been a sweet set up for us. Would definitely go with the fan/windows. The height increase kept us away from the swivels (why are the seats so high!?) but I've been meanigin to see if the stock bases can be modified easily.

The Sink is really nice to have, even just for throwing stuff into while driving. Worth the hassle of installing IMO.

Bed height is great for storage and sleeping, but tough to hang out or sit up and read. It works, but in hindsight, I might think about going lower, less storage, and more living area.

/thread

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
    Bunny Don't Surf

Have you seen a one armed man around here?

I should have taken some pictures of the pit area at the Ultra4 race I went to yesterday, some crazy shit in there.

WTB: OLDER Four Wheel Camper- Fleet model.

I'm looking for a simple, good condition late 80s/early 90s FWC- Fleet model for my 2000 Toyota Tundra access cab.

Please PM if you know of or hear anything out there for sale.

Thanks, Doug in Colorado