Page 142 of 510 FirstFirst ... 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 ... LastLast
Results 3,526 to 3,550 of 12727
    Quote Originally Posted by DanoT View Post
    There is a company in Kamloops, B.C. that specializes in converting vans from 2wd to 4X4, so for around $11,000US most camper vans can become 4X4 mobile ski chalets.
    Company is Clydesdale I believe.

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by GeezerSteve View Post
    Hmmmm, pretty sure most big RV lots use third party floor planning financing
    I am aware. My post was a vast over simplification. My old man worked in the power boat industry for 20 years and they run a very similar program. GE capital does a lot of lending to both dealers and to manufacturers and often the financing is interconnected. What put a lot of companies under (Bigfoot for instance) is that their lenders stopped lending to dealers and simultaneously told many manufactures that they needed 100% repayment on open lines of credit. No orders going out the door and no credit to sustain. Can't last very long like that.

Yup. I've handled a few deals that went sideways, one of them a long time vehicle dealer holding a big inventory when an economic downturn abruptly hit. He was wiped out. The floor planning lender is secured in all the inventory and usually has recourse per guaranty from dealer's principal(s). Sometimes the manufacturer agrees to take back the item @ 100% cost in the event of dealer insolvency. As usual, the bank always wins.

Quote Originally Posted by pano-dude View Post
    Company is Clydesdale I believe.

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk
    The company is Sportsman Light Truck on Hugh Allen Drive in Kamloops B.C. and they have been around for decades. I believe Clydesdale is the name of the 4X4 "conversion kit" that they use.

Well, I’m now considering buying two vehicles instead of a brand new 4x4 camper van.... cheap cargo van to haul my motorcycles and truck camper combo... I just don’t know how much hassle it is to have 3 cars...

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

We've been looking to get a slide in for our F150 6.5' bed. Looking at some Palominos (Backpacker with built in shower unit) because they are light and pretty inexpensive. Anyone have any experience with those? Also considering a FWC shell and just out fitting it ourselves simply. Mostly for 3 season use, with possibly a few winter outing by myself.

Which Palomino Backpacker series? AFAICT, the lightest models with shower is >2,000 lbs. If you're considering a lightweight hardside for a 1/2-ton pickup, check out Pastime campers. AFAIK, Pastime currently makes the lightest hardsides. Also, maybe rethink an interior shower, which takes up lots of room in a 6-1/2' slide-in.

I've seen some nice FWC shell mods.

Can anybody tell me a good camper and truck combo or point me to a website with good info?

I need to have a back seat in a truck so most likely short bed truck... gas or diesel? Best camper that fits in short bed (6”?). TIA

Just starting to consider this option.

Which Palomino Backpacker series? AFAICT, the lightest models with shower is >2,000 lbs. If you're considering a lightweight hardside for a 1/2-ton pickup, check out Pastime campers. AFAIK, Pastime currently makes the lightest hardsides. Also, maybe rethink an interior shower, which takes up lots of room in a 6-1/2' slide-in.

That's the same weight as my 9.5' Northern Lite. A 2000lb camper is too heavy for a 1/2 ton truck without significant suspension mods, careful packing etc... most 1/2 ton 4wd extended cab trucks have a payload of under 2000lbs... most more like 1600lbs. Add in gear, food, case of beer, humans, dogs, etc and you'll be well over your GVRW.

There are lots of slightly older used FWC, Jayco and Northstar pop-ups out there that will be closer 1000lbs and get the job done. Also, many of the early 90s Northern Light and Bigfoot campers are actually quite lightweight, might also be something to consider if you don't need a pop-up. In a 1/2 ton truck, compromise is the name of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by tmokes View Post
    Can anybody tell me a good camper and truck combo or point me to a website with good info?

I need to have a back seat in a truck so most likely short bed truck... gas or diesel? Best camper that fits in short bed (6”?). TIA

Not enough info. How many people will be regularly hanging out and sleeping in camper?

1/2-ton or bigger (3/4 or 1-ton) truck? Hardside or popup camper? If you don't know the answer to either, familiarize yourself by looking at models and RV dealers and private sellers on CL.

BTW, some 3/4-ton and 1-ton double or X-cabs have 8' beds.

Do you plan to use the truck for other things? Or will this be a dedicated RV rig? Most people looking at slide-ins already have a pickup truck.

Rocky Mountain Four Wheel campers are what I'm seeing a lot of lately in smaller pick ups.

I occasionally post on a pop up camper site called Wander the West.

This is what I use for a shower:
    http://www.hotjugz.com/

Agree re limits of 1/2-ton payloads.
    Quote Originally Posted by Leavenworth Skier View Post
    There are lots of slightly older used FWC, Jayco and Northstar pop-ups out there that will be closer 1000lbs and get the job done.
    Lightest Northstar or Jayco (or Sun Valley, Palomino, etc.) for full-size 6.5' bed truck will be >1400 lbs. and used ones that light are rare. Most used ones will be >1750 lbs.

Wander the West is a good resource for used FWCs and used ATCs. (ATC = All Terrain Camper, owned by former FWC workers, uses older FWC design/construction, quite a bit less expensive)

My bad, we were looking at the "Real Light" models SS 1608. W/shower was around 1785 LBS.

Shower is like the main thing the wife wants, so non-negotiable.

And I'll be planning on at least adding some airbags, if not more susp upgrades.

As LVS noted, 1800 lbs. on a 1/2-ton + gear is pushing it, although it can be done with beefed up suspension and limited expectations re handling.

FWC has a shower option on front dinette models. IMO it's a half-ass design. The shower consists of a wraparound shower curtain over a drain, smack dab in the middle of the camper, a design contrary to a key for all RVs: Moisture Management. A shower is better located outside or, if inside, at a corner.

Why is everyone obsessed with keeping their 1/2 ton? 1/2 ton trucks are designed as a car you can occasionally throw a bale of hay or couch in the back of.

A 3/4 or 1 ton truck has bigger/stronger/heavier duty brakes, steering components, wheel bearings, axle shafts, gears, axle housing, shocks, springs, transmission, transfer case, drivelines, etc. They are actually engineered to haul loads for sustained periods of time. Sure you can add airbags and e-rated tires to a 1/2 ton, but how much sooner will the tie-rod ends or ball joints wear out? Will your wheel bearings last a long hot trip? Is your light duty transmission going to hold up to pulling the hill up to your local ski area while fully loaded? Can you stop your truck loaded down with a camper without matting the brake pedal?

I don’t have truck or camper so I’m not limited to what I buy except for the cost...

My only requirement for the truck is so I can seat my son safely in the back seat and be 4x4/AWD. Most likely I won’t use it for any other reason and camper will stay in the bed, unless something major comes up, but even then, I’ve probably opt out to rent a uhaul truck for that occasion rather than deal with taking the camper off and on.

I want to use the camper for me, gf, and son. All season use so hard sided is ideal. Don’t have to shower but bathroom is nice for gf and my son because he’s just a baby now so it’s going to be years before he can “hold it” to use outside facility for #2...

I don’t want to drive old truck or sleep in moldy camper so I’ll pay a bit more for newer models. Seems like I need to have a truck before camper shopping but I should know exactly what kind of camper I want so I can be sure to get a truck that can accommodate it... bit overwhelming for a first time buyer.

By the way, I never had interest in pickup trucks before so everything is new to me when it comes to shopping for a truck.

I don’t have truck or camper so I’m not limited to what I buy except for the cost...

My only requirement for the truck is so I can seat my son safely in the back seat and be 4x4/AWD. Most likely I won’t use it for any other reason and camper will stay in the bed, unless something major comes up, but even then, I’ve probably opt out to rent a uhaul truck for that occasion rather than deal with taking the camper off and on.

I want to use the camper for me, gf, and son. All season use so hard sided is ideal. Don’t have to shower but bathroom is nice for gf and my son because he’s just a baby now so it’s going to be years before he can “hold it” to use outside facility for #2...

I don’t want to drive old truck or sleep in moldy camper so I’ll pay a bit more for newer models. Seems like I need to have a truck before camper shopping but I should know exactly what kind of camper I want so I can be sure to get a truck that can accommodate it... bit overwhelming for a first time buyer.

By the way, I never had interest in pickup trucks before so everything is new to me when it comes to shopping for a truck.

What's your budget for the total set up?

Our 1/2-ton truck is perfect for our uses: #2 daily driver, occasionally haul 800 lbs. max, carrying a 1200 lb. FWC camper and likely someday towing a small fishing boat.

But yeah, if you have bigger payload needs and want to haul a camper with a shower, toilet and other comfy amenities, get a goddam 3/4-ton or 1-ton camper and a hardside.

My credit is good and will trade in / sell an used SUV roughly around $5g... probably have around $5g for down payment as well. That said, total around $30k would be cool for $20k loans for used combo... maybe more for new camper with financing? I’m sure rv dealerships will have lightly used camper they sell with financing...

Quote Originally Posted by Leavenworth Skier View Post
    Why is everyone obsessed with keeping their 1/2 ton? 1/2 ton trucks are designed as a car you can occasionally throw a bale of hay or couch in the back of.

A 3/4 or 1 ton truck has bigger/stronger/heavier duty brakes, steering components, wheel bearings, axle shafts, gears, axle housing, shocks, springs, transmission, transfer case, drivelines, etc. They are actually engineered to haul loads for sustained periods of time. Sure you can add airbags and e-rated tires to a 1/2 ton, but how much sooner will the tie-rod ends or ball joints wear out? Will your wheel bearings last a long hot trip? Is your light duty transmission going to hold up to pulling the hill up to your local ski area while fully loaded? Can you stop your truck loaded down with a camper without matting the brake pedal?
    So it’s like skiing dynafits at the ski area. Got it.

Honestly, I was going the RTT route but the wifey has proven to be even more of a princess than previously thought. I just bought the truck and kinda like it. Someday it will be upgraded but for now, a $10k lightweight camper on the back is the best I can do. Don’t want a trailer.

Most likely I won’t use it for any other reason and camper will stay in the bed, unless something major comes up, but even then, I’ve probably opt out to rent a uhaul truck for that occasion rather than deal with taking the camper off and on.
    So, you're looking at a truck+camper as dedicated RV rig for the 4x4?

Here is my rig, 2007 tacoma with a OME kit on it. 2017 FWC shell model with a furnace, rollover couch, dual batteries, 2 fantastic fans and a inverter for 110 power. Loaded it comes in around 900lbs. The tacoma does pretty well with this. There isnt any onboard water but it sleeps 4 comfortably and stays nice and warm for my kids.

Name:  campertruck.jpg
Views: 465
Size:  126.0 KB

Yes... should I even consider class B 4x4? I want it as economical as possible to maintain too, such as gas, tires, registration, and insurance. Asking too much?

Asking too much?
    Maybe. If you use a 4x4 truck for other purposes, a slide-in camper is a no brainer. But truck + camper makes less sense as a dedicated RV. 4x4 is nice, although not necessary, for ski season, but it comes at a big cost for a dedicated RV.

On your $20K - $30K budget, you can get a very nice 2WD class B or class C. Or you can spend $10K-$20K for a perfectly fine RV. FWIW, most camping rigs I see at ski areas are 2WD.