Page 132 of 508 FirstFirst ... 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 ... LastLast
Results 3,276 to 3,300 of 12697
    Quote Originally Posted by Tryingtostaywarm View Post
    I used to be a huge diesel man...until I moved to Colorado and started winter camping here. I've had Chevy/Ford/Dodge/Toyota Hilux(living in Europe) diesels and my next camper for winter is going to be a 2011+ Ford F-250 with the 6.2 gas. The issues I ran into when camping at 10-12k feet, for 24 hours plus at or around 0-10 degrees isn't worth the gas savings/low end torque for me. I had my 12 valve outside camping for about 24 hours at 0*, with a brand new 1000 cca battery..it took me about 30 minutes of cycling/sputtering like crap before it got normalish. The guy I was with had a GMC 6.0 gasser started right up and was warm within 10 minutes. I was a little jealous to say the least.
    Sometimes I wonder if my CTD is worth it even in the summer. Sure I can drag the jeep and camper up I-70 at or above the speed limit without a concern in the world but what did those 3 minutes saved over a gasser cost me? I just dropped $3k on injectors, the engine may last 500k but I'll put the value of 3 gasser engine replacements into it to get it there. If I was smart I'd sell it now but I'm not, I'm emotionally attached.

For a winter camper a gasser just makes more sense, if it's snowing (which is the goal) speed isn't an issue, the fuel savings is miniscule at the end of the day and you know you're not gonna have starting issues (battery not withstanding).

Quote Originally Posted by jackattack View Post
    If you're tryingtostaywarm, a diesel might not be the best choice for short trips.

That said, modern diesel's do fine in cold weather, the new Super Duty has an available electric aux heater for those long warm-up periods.

Also, the problem on that F150 diesel will not be mileage with a camper, it'll be payload. The running gear won't magically allow it to handle a 2k lb+ hardside.
    Payload is a hair over 2k, that'll be on the 2 door 2wd model, add 4wd, 4 doors, a couple skiers and gear and payload will probably drop pound for pound. Wouldn't be surprised to see a 4 door LWB drop to just above 1k left for a camper. I'd bet the running gear could handle it, probably better equipped than a early 2000 F250 but since 99% of F150 miles driven are with no cargo and people expect a smooth ride from their trucks the suspension will probably be the limiting factor. Not sure how the Al frame handles the load but I'd imagine Ford didn't take any shortcuts there since they are playing in new territory and have a vested interest in it's success. All speculation on my side of course, for the right buyer I bet this is gonna be a pretty sweet truck.

Quote Originally Posted by GPP33 View Post
    Sometimes I wonder if my CTD is worth it even in the summer. Sure I can drag the jeep and camper up I-70 at or above the speed limit without a concern in the world but what did those 3 minutes saved over a gasser cost me? I just dropped $3k on injectors, the engine may last 500k but I'll put the value of 3 gasser engine replacements into it to get it there. If I was smart I'd sell it now but I'm not, I'm emotionally attached.

For a winter camper a gasser just makes more sense, if it's snowing (which is the goal) speed isn't an issue, the fuel savings is miniscule at the end of the day and you know you're not gonna have starting issues (battery not withstanding).
    What is your setup looking like right now?

Can't roll coal with a gasser though.

I was thinking of getting a new Nissan NV cargo van with high roof converted to 4x4. Salesman said that engine came from older Titan truck and it was great. What do you think? I was hoping for Nissan to add Cummins diesel to NV line like Titans.....

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by tmokes View Post
    I was thinking of getting a new Nissan NV cargo van with high roof converted to 4x4. Salesman said that engine came from older Titan truck and it was great. What do you think? I was hoping for Nissan to add Cummins diesel to NV line like Titans.....

http://www.quigley4x4.com/Portals/0/...t%20Rev1.0.pdf

Quigley will do the 4x4 for around $15,000 DO IT

Quote Originally Posted by snapt View Post
    this is such a cool camper!
    I can't 100% tell from your pics but can you walk thru from the cab to the back too?
    that might be another one of me dream vehicles
    skid luxury

Quote Originally Posted by b-bear View Post
    I can't 100% tell from your pics but can you walk thru from the cab to the back too?
    Yes Tiger CX and their other models are walk though. They are cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Yukonrider View Post
    Can you use your water in the winter?
    No water. We tried and the line froze. Not a catastrophic failure, just frozen for now. Maybe it'll work again when we go somewhere warmer

Quote Originally Posted by b-bear View Post
    Thanks, it's a lot of fun! You can walk thru

Hey spnce,

Congrats on the storm hunting and the new gig.

Still need to hit you up for a Sunrise lap at some point when I'm in town (and there's fucking snow, whenever that is).
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Quote Originally Posted by spnce View Post
    It's got the 460 gasser, 7-10 MPG. I guess the original owner decided to save some $ off the powerstroke...

I spent a year+ redoing the interior then sold most of our shit & took off in october.
    Attachment 220773
    Attachment 220772
    Attachment 220774
    Nice remodel.
    That's in the not to distant future for our 96.
    Did you guys post a thread in another forum with the build out (the interior shots seem familiar to me)?

Ours has a 6.5 turbo diesel, NV4500 transmission (5sp man), NP241 transfer case, and a 3.73 locking differential. Prior to our purchasing it, the 6.5 was extensively modified for increased performance, longevity, and economy. The engine benefits from an aftermarket intercooler, custom welded intake system, marine injectors, re-mapped ECM, PMD heat sink, calibrated fuel pump, and a full 4" exhaust. On longer trips with limited mountain passes it's averaged low 20's.

Dealership told me they use someone in SLC... can’t remember the name but not quigley. Anyway they said if it was done though them on a new vehicle, it will be covered under their/ Nissan warranty of 5 years/ 10k mile warranty. Pretty good to me.

Dealership told me they use someone in SLC... can’t remember the name but not quigley. Anyway they said if it was done though them on a new vehicle, it will be covered under their/ Nissan warranty of 5 years/ 10k mile warranty. Pretty good to me.

http://advanced4x4vans.com/4x4-van/n...an-conversion/

Advanced is about the same price and product

Those Nissans are pretty sweet!

Quote Originally Posted by Tryingtostaywarm View Post
    What is your setup looking like right now?
    Not well suited for winter camping, but that solution is in the works (currently in the dream state)

Quote Originally Posted by simple View Post
    http://advanced4x4vans.com/4x4-van/n...an-conversion/

Advanced is about the same price and product
    Just beware of Advanced...they dont have the best reputation at least in the Ford Econoline 4x4 van community for their ride/handling and also utilization of odd components.... dana 44s being used in 10k+ lb rigs vs a dana 60, almost impossible to replace rotors w/o getting their custom ones... the list goes on. Quigley is head and shoulders above in quality and follow up support. And ive owned 2 Quigley converted E350s in the past along with a Sportsmobile with tbeir 4x4 conversion and lastly a Ujoint conversion (hands down the winner for ride and performance by a long shot).

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Yea, diesels, especially powerstrokes for some reason, don’t like starting when it’s really cold. Once the fuel gells it can be a serious PITA to get liquified and flowing again. I know a guy who actually let is power stroke idle all night when we had a -20ish cold snap because he needed it for work and it took him half the day to get it started. I was in CB during that and they were closer to -35 at night and below zero for daytime highs. I didn’t have to drive mine (Cummins) during that but was a little worried that I wasn’t gonna get it started if things didn’t start warming back up. Finally warmed up to about 15, it started but sounded like a box of marbles and I thought the engine was gonna jump out of the hood.
    It's not the powerstroke it's the person who maintains it. Keep good batteries, glow plugs, relay and good starter and it will start to -25c.
    My was having issues last year even plugged in and it was the starter. Have over 300km on it.
    This year forgot to plug in, -25c went to go sledding and she fired right up.

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by pano-dude View Post
    It's not the powerstroke it's the person who maintains it. Keep good batteries, glow plugs, relay and good starter and it will start to -25c.
    My was having issues last year even plugged in and it was the starter. Have over 300km on it.
    This year forgot to plug in, -25c went to go sledding and she fired right up.

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk
    I learned to run a winter fuel additive in my ‘98 and no problems starting down to -40f. I found that winter grade diesel was insufficient alone in sub zero. Once I just drove from Seattle (30’s) to Winthrop (single digits) and had the fuel gel up while parked overnight.

Performance off-road, formerly pathfinder. Better then Quigley imo.
    I have a 06 ford gasser, copied performance design. Recently replaced some parts, and they where available from moog. Solid front axle/leaf springs.

All it has is a bed, and plastic bins atm. Pretty gutted, and awaiting a remod.. looking at getting a boiler system for heat.

Some good ideas in here for sure.

I think that name Advanced sounds right....

Sorry, yes, advanced.... I was mistaken. They did take over path finder though.

I should know better. Been on The phone with them enough. Even though they didn't build mine, they where helpful in getting me the correct part numbers.

Attachment 220926

Rufus the blue

Not well suited for winter camping, but that solution is in the works (currently in the dream state)

Well at least you have something. What's the ideal winter camping situation looking like in that dream?

Don't remember if this was posted or not. http://forum.expeditionportal.com/th...Camper-Package