Page 126 of 508 FirstFirst ... 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 ... LastLast
Results 3,126 to 3,150 of 12695
    Quote Originally Posted by bovine View Post
    On our 2000 we'd use a helper tank to run the thing all night long...
    We have a 2000, was this a mod or....?

Quote Originally Posted by ACH View Post
    We have a 2000, was this a mod or....?
    Yep, you can get a helper tank for a Honda 2000 from Northern Tool. I think they're about $200 or so if I remember right.

When we used ours we'd run the generator all night to keep the batteries topped off, run the electric oil space heater, the mattress pad heater... I had the Honda in a vented wooden box-insulated for sound with reflec-tex and egg carton foam- strung out 50 ft or so dug into a snow pit.

We could barely hear the hum of it. The vented box kept the snow off it during a storm and kept it cool from overheating, egg carton foam absorbed sound. With the helper tank the generator would run for about 20+ hours.

We used to have a Six Pac camper that we winter ski-camped in for a couple years- lots of cold, sub-0 nights staying warm and cozy. Now we have an insulated pop-top Hallmark that we're going to try it with this winter for some area skiing and touring.

BERGS System extra fuel tank...

This is the system we used and it worked well. Says it gives you up to 72 hours of run time, so minimal refueling.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-11-30 at 9.07.40 PM.png 
Views:	200 
Size:	436.2 KB 
ID:	217699

Yep, you can get a helper tank for a Honda 2000 from Northern Tool. I think they're about $200 or so if I remember right.

When we used ours we'd run the generator all night to keep the batteries topped off, run the electric oil space heater, the mattress pad heater... I had the Honda in a vented wooden box-insulated for sound with reflec-tex and egg carton foam- strung out 50 ft or so dug into a snow pit.

We could barely hear the hum of it. The vented box kept the snow off it during a storm and kept it cool from overheating, egg carton foam absorbed sound. With the helper tank the generator would run for about 20+ hours.

We used to have a Six Pac camper that we winter ski-camped in for a couple years- lots of cold, sub-0 nights staying warm and cozy. Now we have an insulated pop-top Hallmark that we're going to try it with this winter for some area skiing and touring.

I have a customized for winter Phoenix camper and Honda 2000 gen set. The greatest feature of a Honda over any Chinese brand or something with a Briggs & Stratton engine is the ability to start easily in cold weather. I make sure I start it about once a month when not using the camper and if there is any problem then I bring it indoors for 20 minutes and then it starts right up.

As far as electric heaters go, I have found that infrared heaters are the most efficient but they do have a large footprint compared to ceramic heaters, however mine is the perfect size for keeping the ski boots on, and off the floor. Mine also has a high and low power setting which helps the generator not always work so hard.

No affiliation, but think someone here must need this:
    https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/cto...407833340.html

A friend has a champion gennie as the backup at his cabin. It is crazy loud compared to the Honda- so if that is a concern I would try before I buy if you can.

When we used ours we'd run the generator all night. . . .
    Oh, you're one of those guys

At most I run my Honda eu1000i for a couple hours/day in mid-winter, only if we're using the furnace and Fantastic Fan a bunch. I don't use the gen at all on most trips. I have two 12V deep cycle batteries in parallel, high efficiency propane furnace (fan in my 2014 FWC Hawk uses much less power than the furnace fan in my 2000 Hawk), LED lighting, USB ports for charging phone, etc. We don't run the furnace while we sleep, preferring to use winter sleeping bags (FF -10F rated) which have kept us cozy down to -12F, then fire up the furnace in the morning.

I got the rig ready for winter. Last week I pulled out the water pump for the winter and flushed the water system with compressed air. We'll use water bottles until March or April. Blizzaks are on the truck.

Quote Originally Posted by OldSteve View Post

At most I run my Honda eu1000i for a couple hours/day in mid-winter, only if we're using the furnace and Fantastic Fan a bunch. I don't use the gen at all on most trips. I have two 12V deep cycle batteries in parallel, high efficiency propane furnace (fan in my 2014 FWC Hawk uses much less power than the furnace fan in my 2000 Hawk), LED lighting, USB ports for charging phone, etc. We don't run the furnace while we sleep, preferring to use winter sleeping bags (FF -10F rated) which have kept us cozy down to -12F, then fire up the furnace in the morning.

I got the rig ready for winter. Last week I pulled out the water pump for the winter and flushed the water system with compressed air. We'll use water bottles until March or April. Blizzaks are on the truck.
    I have a high output 16,000btu furnace that does have a fan that draws more amps than the newer FWC furnaces but this is what I want as I need to keep the camper warm for my small dog who is in the camper while I am skiing.

I originally considered a 1000watt generator for just charging batteries but I am glad I went with the 2000 watt gen because when the furnace is on and the gen is powering the battery charger, if the batteries are low the furnace continues to draw down the batteries almost as fast as the charger recharges them, so it takes extra long time to get the batteries to full charge. So with the 2000watt gen running I turn off the furnace and run an electric heater, boot dryers, and fridge and charger, something that I couldn't do with a 1000watt gen.

It's worthwhile to consider a converter/charger upgrade particularly if you have an older non-smart charger system. This will maximize the efficiency of whatever generator you use and minimize charging time. I'm very happy with our Progressive Dynamics Intellipower 30 amp unit with Charge Wizard.

https://www.progressivedyn.com/rv/power-converters/

On a separate topic, if you are thinking of going to Revelstoke in your RV this winter, Smokey Bear campground is open all winter with full (water, sewer, power) hookups. We looked it over last September and plan to use it this winter.

Quote Originally Posted by OldSteve View Post
    Not that I disagree necessarily, however you might consider bovine's local.
    It get's pretty damn cold in that part of Colorado. Average Winter temps there are much colder than here in the PNW.
    Just saying.

Yes, I am.
    We tour and ski in pretty remote areas where there are no others to offend with the sound of a generator-and as I said, the generator was in an insulated wooden box lined with reflect-tex and egg carton foam tucked into a snow pit.

We could barely hear it let alone anyone who may be within 50 yards. We've used this system in temps down to -20 on top of Wolf Creek pass and were toasty.

Not that I disagree necessarily, however you might consider bovine's local.
    It get's pretty damn cold in that part of Colorado. Average Winter temps there are much colder than here in the PNW.
    Just saying.

Anyone out there have experience with a Champion 3100 gas generator? Wife and I used to have a Honda 2000 and foolishly sold it. Now, looking to get another generator. The 3100s are smaller than the Honda/Yamaha version, come with a remote start, a 3 year warranty and weigh about 85 lbs.

We'd be using it to run a fan-powered ceramic heater after skiing, boot driers, and to top off our batteries in our Hallmark LaVeta.

We'd run a mattress pad heater and electric blanket at night and then crank everything back up in the morning to warm up the camper and try to keep the condensation down via fantastic fans.
    Looking to get back into the winter ski-camper life again...
    We figure a 3100 wouldn't get taxed as much as the 2000 did and might do better on gas. On our 2000 we'd use a helper tank to run the thing all night long...
    I'd spend the money on solar panels. We've got a Outfitter Juno with 300 watts of solar and also frequently winter camp around CO. We've only had this camper down to -10 (and very windy) and we were still able to keep it 55-60 inside all night. The solar has the batteries recharged by 10-11 on a sunny day in mid winter. A little reflectix along the softwalls surrounding the bed helps a lot too. It might not really add that much R value but it cuts the chill substantially when you're sleeping near a wall. The only thing you really need a generator for (in my opinion) is air conditioning.

Quote Originally Posted by nobueno View Post
    I'd spend the money on solar panels. We've got a Outfitter Juno with 300 watts of solar and also frequently winter camp around CO. We've only had this camper down to -10 (and very windy) and we were still able to keep it 55-60 inside all night. The solar has the batteries recharged by 10-11 on a sunny day in mid winter. A little reflectix along the softwalls surrounding the bed helps a lot too. It might not really add that much R value but it cuts the chill substantially when you're sleeping near a wall. The only thing you really need a generator for (in my opinion) is air conditioning.
    Solar power might work in winter in sunny Colorado but other places like western Canada or the PNW, it is not possible due to low angle of the sun, short number of daylight hours, snow on the panels and weeks of cloudy skies.

Quote Originally Posted by DanoT View Post
    Solar power might work in winter in sunny Colorado but other places like western Canada or the PNW, it is not possible due to low angle of the sun, short number of daylight hours, snow on the panels and weeks of cloudy skies.
    Yea they might not work great elsewhere but bovine is also in CO and has a camper that is basically just a smaller version of mine so in his case they should be great. I've been surprised how much they do manage to charge on overcast days though.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0437.jpg 
Views:	179 
Size:	1.29 MB 
ID:	217876

Saw this clean looking Sandtana in the Eastside Sports parking lot in Bishop the other night. The Toyota engine under the hood is either the 22R or the 22RE motor. Both of those are right up there with the VW Bug engine as one of the most reliable engines of all time. I had one in my first Toyota truck a 1984 2WD 5 speed manual. Do the basic maintenance and you had a legit chance at a 1,000,000 (one million) miles on it. Great engine.

Quote Originally Posted by JPaul View Post
    No affiliation, but think someone here must need this:
    https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/cto...407833340.html
    Solid Delica, but overpriced, even for the SF crowd.

Example A, $8,995: https://www.japaneseclassics.com/veh...ca-star-wagon/
    Example B, $9,900: http://www.duncanimports.com/used/Mi...d077cd574d.htm

The Tiger's are cool looking, but for $25k on a 1994 Astro..you aren't getting much there.
    If anyone is looking for Sprinter Vans/Tigers/whatever. I would recommend not looking in any of the mountain/dirtbag going kind of states. I'm not saying you won't run across a great deal on one here and there. But, everyone wants a 4x4 van/Tiger/Sprinter whatever to do mountain things. People in say, Indiana, don't mark them up what it seems like compared to what I've been looking at in Colorado.

^^^
    Yes it's pricey, but that is also driven by the fact that there aren't a lot of this variation of Tiger out there.
    Most of the Astros were pop tops, this one is a CX. Also, AWD versions of these rigs are few and far between in fly over states.

Another option might be a 2WD camper van that is then converted to aftermarket 4WD.

While conversion costs vary from van to van, Sportsman Light Trucks in Kamloops, B.C. charges approx. $11,000US for a typical 4WD conversion.

^^^
    Yes it's pricey, but that is also driven by the fact that there aren't a lot of this variation of Tiger out there.
    Here’s what I’m hoping for. Right now #vanlife, #home is where I park it etc is super trendy. Then vlog about how bitchen your life is living in a van, roll out of bed, parked at the beach, your hair tosseled just perfectly, score empty waves, instagram how you’ve achieved a perfect blend of minimalism in your life yada yada yada will all come to an end and people will move on to whatever is the next trend. They will realize that they spent a shit ton of money for a van/camper they no longer want to live in. They want a house again. They sell the van for much less than they paid for it. More people start selling. The used Tiger, Sprinter 4x4, Sports Mobile market becomes flooded! This in turn drives prices down on the used market. People see this, and they start to panic and a fear driven sell off begins!!!! I got cash in hand and lowball the shit out of some poor sap. I score the sickest, fully loaded, pimped out 4x4 van/camper with super low miles for less than half of what it went for new.

That’s what I’m hoping for. Think it could happen?

^^^^ That's what I'm waiting for too.

No way am I spending $100K for a camper van. But I'll happily buy someone else's $100K van a couple years later for $30K.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    ^^^^ That's what I'm waiting for too.

No way am I spending $100K for a camper van. But I'll happily buy someone else's $100K van a couple years later for $30K.
    Yep! Like when in 2006 houses in fucking shithole Corona were being listed at $750k spec, before it was built etc. Stop the madness.

Why does everyone thing they need 4wd for these vans and campers? Seems like a good set of snowtires would get you anywhere those things are capable of going. Not like you are weeling into the backcountry, you are moslty on paved roads and maybe some smooth dirt roads.

Quote Originally Posted by shredgnar View Post
    Why does everyone thing they need 4wd for these vans and campers? Seems like a good set of snowtires would get you anywhere those things are capable of going. Not like you are weeling into the backcountry, you are moslty on paved roads and maybe some smooth dirt roads.
    As someone with a lifted AWD Astro with snow-rated AT tires....

This is 99% true.

I've had a few moments in the past couple years when AWD was necessary. But that's mostly because I was doing something stupid like driving up a high clearance road covered in snow. Even then, the vast majority of the time the limit was clearance and my balls, not traction.

When I upgrade I'll be going Promaster or Transit, both 2WD. Ideally a transit with a LSD in the back but not sure if that is available....