Page 123 of 510 FirstFirst ... 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 ... LastLast
Results 3,051 to 3,075 of 12727
    Quote Originally Posted by myles long View Post
    Pretty sure mine is a Atwood 12,000 BTU, comes stock with a new FWC. My kids slept in their kiddie type sleeping bags when it was around 20 and the furnace at 55 and they were fine. They sleep on the rollover couch in front of the air vent to stay toasty but its pretty warm overall
    Very nice. I might have to do the full upgrade to something like that. Thanks for sharing the info.

My home for the winter. Holler if you see us..

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	JsTtEUi.jpg 
Views:	143 
Size:	966.3 KB 
ID:	214072
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HuOUkuU.jpg 
Views:	161 
Size:	1.43 MB 
ID:	214073

That's awesome!

In your little rig, for the built in heater get the small fan motor, save your batteries life.
    I made the mistake of getting too much heater. It heated the rig so quickly that it used most power on the purge and cool down cycles. My rig dumps heat fast enough that it cycled on/off in battery killing style.
    The dual speed circuits failed so I got a great deal on its small motor replacement.

For the catalytic heater, I started too small. It provided base line heat, but the new heater would still run too much. (My puppies may be a bit spoiled, but they don't get cold.)
    When it's pad died after 7 years ($150 plus), I jumped to a wave 6. I run it on low most of the time. I can now leave the door open for a while. The Atwood hardly runs.

Enjoy.

https://denver.craigslist.org/cto/d/...349309525.html
    This would be a good start to being a dirtbag. I went and checked it out..drivetrain is solid + 4x4 is good to go but everything else is pretty rough and would need to be replaced if one was to take it on a big adventure.
    The camper is in good original condition but the canvas has a big hole in it in the corner + roof vent area is torn off.

A question: thinking about adding a 2nd battery to the slide in camper. There's a good spot for it inside in a cabinet. Wiring, venting, etc. won't be an issue. But it means one battery will be inside (warmer), while the other battery will be in the exterior battery box (colder). Will that temperature difference between the batteries be a significant problem? I figure they'll kinda equalize since they'll be wired in parallel, but will it hasten the demise of one (or both) of the batteries? Am I just overthinking this?

Lot to learn in a short time....Recently bought a '97 ford EB350 quiggley sportsmobile....Taking a skibatical this Winter from work....The (lack of) plan so far is wife and I starting at Christmas in Crested Butte and going from there...eventually heading to BC/powder highway.....
    Rob "Stayalert" M
    Vermont

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    A question: thinking about adding a 2nd battery to the slide in camper. There's a good spot for it inside in a cabinet. Wiring, venting, etc. won't be an issue. But it means one battery will be inside (warmer), while the other battery will be in the exterior battery box (colder). Will that temperature difference between the batteries be a significant problem? I figure they'll kinda equalize since they'll be wired in parallel, but will it hasten the demise of one (or both) of the batteries? Am I just overthinking this?
    Is it going to be a problem that you will notice? Probably not if you keep a constant cycle/use on the reg. Will the colder battery draw more than the warmer one, you betcha. If it was me, I'd try to find a spot inside the camper and put them both inside just for peace of mind. Then again, I wouldn't sweat it.

Quote Originally Posted by stayalert View Post
    Lot to learn in a short time....Recently bought a '97 ford EB350 quiggley sportsmobile....Taking a skibatical this Winter from work....The (lack of) plan so far is wife and I starting at Christmas in Crested Butte and going from there...eventually heading to BC/powder highway.....
    You know how it works...pics or it didn't happen. Is it a 7.3? I want a 7.3 van in a bad way.

Quote Originally Posted by powdrhound View Post
    In your little rig, for the built in heater get the small fan motor, save your batteries life.
    I made the mistake of getting too much heater. It heated the rig so quickly that it used most power on the purge and cool down cycles. My rig dumps heat fast enough that it cycled on/off in battery killing style.
    The dual speed circuits failed so I got a great deal on its small motor replacement.

For the catalytic heater, I started too small. It provided base line heat, but the new heater would still run too much. (My puppies may be a bit spoiled, but they don't get cold.)
    When it's pad died after 7 years ($150 plus), I jumped to a wave 6. I run it on low most of the time. I can now leave the door open for a while. The Atwood hardly runs.

Enjoy.
    Thanks for the input on heaters! The shot of your rig covered is 100% RAD. The definition of living the dream!

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    in theory, yes, the cold one will drag down the warm one, but you'll still increase your AH.

I might consider putting the new one in the cold and the old one inside, maybe it'll even out their relative capacity. /overthinking

Quote Originally Posted by Tryingtostaywarm View Post
    Is it going to be a problem that you will notice? Probably not if you keep a constant cycle/use on the reg. Will the colder battery draw more than the warmer one, you betcha. If it was me, I'd try to find a spot inside the camper and put them both inside just for peace of mind. Then again, I wouldn't sweat it.
    Right on. I'll have to see if I have enough room to fit two inside.

Quote Originally Posted by kai_ski View Post
    I might consider putting the new one in the cold and the old one inside, maybe it'll even out their relative capacity. /overthinking
    Hmm, that's a good thought.

here's a pic....Its a v-10 gasser & uses every bit of its 55 gallon capacity....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0019.JPG 
Views:	149 
Size:	481.3 KB 
ID:	214182  
    Rob "Stayalert" M
    Vermont

here's a pic....Its a v-10 gasser & uses every bit of its 55 gallon capacity....
    I was just looking at a 7.4l Chevy with a camper. All I could think of was that I will never miss a gas station, with camper loaded down, in the mountains, pulling a sled trailer..I was looking at legitimately 5-8 mpg.

^nice. Plus side to the V10 is you don't have to deal with a 7.3 in the cold. A V10 will always start with one good battery no matter how cold it is.

Quote Originally Posted by snowaddict91 View Post
    ^nice. Plus side to the V10 is you don't have to deal with a 7.3 in the cold. A V10 will always start with one good battery no matter how cold it is.
    Another vote for the V10. Lots of power and very smooth. Only downside is the aluminum heads and replacing the stupid two piece Ford spark plugs at 100,000 km especially with the E body (van) access issues. I just paid the Ford dealer to do it so if they screw up it's on them.

Toasty is the goal.

rad

There seems to be confusion regarding RV heaters. Here is the correct info to understand the different options.
    1) A 'real' RV (not homemade) will usually come with a real RV furnace that draws air from the outside, combines it with propane to burn in a combustion chamber and expels the exhaust to the outside. A fan blows over the hot combustion chamber, heating the fresh interior air and directs it to vents inside the RV. This system requires electricity for the fan and propane. No combustion byproducts enter the RV and no condensation is produced inside the RV.
    2) Catalytic heaters burn propane and interior RV air over a catalytic grid/screen. These heaters consume interior oxygen and generate moisture as a byproduct of combustion but the catalyst prevents the production of deadly carbon monoxide. No electrical power is required.
    3) Non catalytic propane heaters consume interior oxygen and produce moisture but more importantly their carbon monoxide will kill you.

In RV nomenclature, 1) is a furnace, 2) and 3) are heaters
    Last edited by DIYSteve; 10-22-2017 at 12:14 AM.

Here is a catalytic heater that is vented to the outside but unlike a RV furnace the heat is not fan forced, so heat distribution and output is limited.
    http://www.ventedcatheater.com/6.html

Among the RV furnaces available for small RVs there are some that have a less powerful fan than draws less DC current and thus put out less BTUs.

Replacing the floor in my Northern Lite. Shit's been stewing for a while.

Sweet! Does Yakima or Thule make a fit kit for a 1990 Toyota Crown Hearse Sedan????
    Rob "Stayalert" M
    Vermont

Another trip in the TC I thought some of you might appreciate. Check it!