Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Collarbone snapage.

Came off the bike at a race on Sunday and broke my collarbone....clean break and no surgery needed according the doctor.

Any advice? I am heading to Cham in about 6 weeks....

Thanks

keep that annoying brace on all the time...6 weeks is short but ive seen people ski with them in that timeframe....

Friggin sucks it has happened to me before. on a bike coincidentally.

6 weeks you should be fine. I broke mine mountain biking, a clean break as well, and was backpacking in 4 weeks (light pack, some pain). 6 weeks after the break I actually carried a woman out of backcountry Alaska in an Arcflex Astroplane backpack when she hurt her knee. She was pretty light, only around 120 lbs, and it was hard busting through willow/alder thickets, but no damage to the former break, but it was sore the next morning. Just take care of it in the meantime and you should be fine.

Do they still give you that goofy "harness" or is it just a sling these days?

It's been awhile since I broke mine, but it was better within 6 weeks for sure.

Of course my bones healed quicker back then....

Do everything the doctor suggests to recover. I became complacent once I was able to take the sling off and even now, a year later, it still feels funky at times if I sleep in a weird position. Make sure to get plenty of sleep, eat well, or anything else that will help your body recover.

Rob, try not to move it - easier said than done. If the two bits are close it should heal fine. 6 weeks is ambitious though. In the UK NHS docs are reluctant to plate them unless they are properly fecked. In the US they plate them readily - cost related? If you had it plated you would be skiing sooner. Although if it will fix on it's own it is worth the wait. Good luck.

I had mine plated and was skiing groomers with my nieces in 6 weeks. Don't think I would have been up for a Chamonix trip.

Now a year out and it's close to 100%. Seems like healing time varies with everyone.

Best of luck.

have broken both of mine in separate cycling falls. brace sucks big time and is a PITA but leave it on, keep it as immobilized as possible (which isn't easy) and you should be good to go.....

doc told me it only takes 12 lbs of pressure to break these....

jim

Bump because my dynafiddles just bit (ejected) me. I bought my pass Saturday and had very non-spectacular fall on my shoulder Sunday. Pain has been minimal, the break is clean and won't require surgery as there's not much overlap. Any supplement recommendations?

Do I ask for my $1,400 back or is there a chance I'll be good to go in January? Orthopedist said full healing in 3 months...

Timely bump. My xray from Friday below (bit it dirt jumping). So...much...pain. Getting it plated for sure.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1448755812189.jpg 
Views:	671 
Size:	46.7 KB 
ID:	172528  
    Last edited by Dantheman; 01-18-2016 at 10:04 AM.

Six weeks is pretty optimistic. Expct 2 weeks of misery, 2 weeks of pretty serious pain, 2 weeks of light pain. At tha tpoint, you shouldn't be in active pain, but that doesn't mean you're going to feel great either. I still had limited range of motion at that point, and did a couple weeks of PT to make sure I got the shoulder loosened up again.

Yeah, 6 weeks seems ambitious, unless you are 10-12 years old. Even less time if you are 5-7. At 35, it was more like 8 weeks. I had a sling, which was fine, and was well advised to let the thing heal and not push it. Dantheman's break is in a different league. And look at Romo -- sat for 7 weeks and then broke it again.

Harsh, heal up.
    watch out for snakes

Broke mine but kept skiing , it was a powder day.
    The doc said sling it if it felt more comfortable but not necessary. The wrap thing isn't done except maybe extreme breaks. Mine was clean thru and I felt pretty ok in a couple months or so.

Quote Originally Posted by mcski View Post
    Broke mine but kept skiing , it was a powder day.
    I don't think I could have even skied myself to the bottom.

Surgery tomorrow. Prognosis without surgery was 25-30 week recovery, possible non-union, high probability of shoulder dysfunction, and permanent disfigurement. Uh, yeah, gimme the plate doc.

Turns out I broke my scapula too. Thankfully no surgical fix needed for that one.

Damn dan sorry to hear.

Thanks Chris. On the bright side, breaking bones is preferable to tearing ligaments and we've already hit our insurance out of pocket max for the year so surgery will be free.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Thanks Chris. On the bright side, breaking bones is preferable to tearing ligaments and we've already hit our insurance out of pocket max for the year so surgery will be free.
    Love those free surgeries! That sucks man, I've decided I hate being broken. (Profound I know)

Quote Originally Posted by filthyfrenchbum View Post
    Bump because my dynafiddles just bit (ejected) me. I bought my pass Saturday and had very non-spectacular fall on my shoulder Sunday. Pain has been minimal, the break is clean and won't require surgery as there's not much overlap. Any supplement recommendations?

Do I ask for my $1,400 back or is there a chance I'll be good to go in January? Orthopedist said full healing in 3 months...
    Depends on the break. If you don't use the sling, healing is quicker. Less atrophy. .

I got back on snow in 5 weeks. I did a lot of hiker weeks 3-5 to keep legs and lungs going. Hit mellow groomers at lower speeds week 5, then by week 6 faster groomers and light powder. By week 8 I was skiing full throttle but staying on the ground.

So it depends. Can you control yourself once back on skis? Based on your forum name, perhaps you should ask for a refund.

But I our goal is to just schuss on snow, I'd keep the pass and take it slow.

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    I've decided I hate being broken. (Profound I know)
    That's deep, bro

It's certainly no fun, but shit is going to happen sometimes. This is by far the most serious injury I've ever had, which is more than a lot of people I know can say (Liz included). At least I did it doing something fun and didn't slip on ice in my driveway or fall off a ladder

Sweet relief with the plate in now. Crazy immediate improvement in pain level and mobility. There's more pain from the scapula now if anything, probably going to be that way for awhile.
    Last edited by Dantheman; 12-02-2015 at 10:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ottime View Post
    Depends on the break. If you don't use the sling, healing is quicker. Less atrophy.
    Agree it depends. But I would talk to your doc. about the sling as I think the rest of this sentence seems (at least to my non-medical-professional view) pseudo science. I was advised that I could make it worse by not wearing the sling and the ossification process would occur best if my arm was resting for the first 2-3 weeks. I'm not sure what muscles may atrophy but that seems minimal and quickly overcome once you get movement back. As recovery occurred, the doc. took x rays to make sure bone matter was forming. Once it had sufficiently, he said I could stop wearing the sling. Unless you're a growing kid, your collarbone will not feel the same as it did -- you'll be able to feel where the break occurred but it will be perfectly sturdy and otherwise completely normal.

Surgery tomorrow. Prognosis without surgery was 25-30 week recovery, possible non-union, high probability of shoulder dysfunction, and permanent disfigurement. Uh, yeah, gimme the plate doc.

Turns out I broke my scapula too. Thankfully no surgical fix needed for that one.
    Your break sounds much worse than mine. I had the typical clean break, non displaced. I thought I had had re fractured my shoulder humoulus and don't realize the pain was collar bone for another day or two.

I was gonna quit after falling but it was still morning so as I sat in my car for an hour or so regrouping decided fuck it, I can manage. It worked out. No
    More crashes that day - that would have really hurt and tons of good turns. When I saw the doc and he said no skiing for a couple months I just laughed. Luckily for my collarbone the season was dry dry after that so there was no temptation

Good luck DTM. You could play QB for the Cowboys
    Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.

Yeah, I couldn't ski down yesterday when I stuffed a tip going about 40, I broke my clavicle and separated and bruised my ribs again. The clavicle is in 3 pieces, probably require surgery.

I broke my scapula and some ribs and had a pneumo thorax two seasons ago, it takes a lot of energy to break the scapula. Scapular fractures have an associated 20%+ mortality rate.

Damn, bro. Vibes to you and Dantheman