Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Two weeks post op, full rom and starting on lite weights. Back on skis in two weeks? Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1672292045.935226.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	123.0 KB 
ID:	440305
    the best skier is the one having the most fun------DC

Question for those who have had surgery. How long after the accident did you have to wait before seeing the ortho? Broke mine two days ago and went to the ER closest to the mountain. The hospital I usually go to can get me in for the initial visit 9 days from now (saying they like to give it that long for the swelling to go down). Just a bit further away, I can get in the day after next. Planning on taking that one to get this show on the road. Not a fan of the pieces floating around in there.

Three previous breaks 30 to 45 years ago, but only needed immobilization for those (much cleaner fractures). I would imagine healing is a little slower this time around.

Name:  image.png
Views: 310
Size:  217.8 KB

Broke mine on a Friday, ortho visit Monday, surgery Wednesday. Definitely take the earlier appointment. IANAD but you're going to need surgery for this one.

Quote Originally Posted by powbmps View Post
    Question for those who have had surgery. How long after the accident did you have to wait before seeing the ortho? Broke mine two days ago and went to the ER closest to the mountain. The hospital I usually go to can get me in for the initial visit 9 days from now (saying they like to give it that long for the swelling to go down). Just a bit further away, I can get in the day after next. Planning on taking that one to get this show on the road. Not a fan of the pieces floating around in there.

Three previous breaks 30 to 45 years ago, but only needed immobilization for those (much cleaner fractures). I would imagine healing is a little slower this time around.

Name:  image.png
Views: 310
Size:  217.8 KB
    They’ll probably fix that but that’s not too bad as far as clavicle fxs go. Some conservative orthopods would treat that non surgically.

I’d want it fixed. Mine was a lot worse than that. I had a 5cm fragment augered into my brachial plexus

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Broke mine on a Friday, ortho visit Monday, surgery Wednesday. Definitely take the earlier appointment. IANAD but you're going to need surgery for this one.
    Thank you for the feedback. I would agree with the same IANAD diagnosis.

Quote Originally Posted by MagnificentUnicorn View Post
    They’ll probably fix that but that’s not too bad as far as clavicle fxs go. Some conservative orthopods would treat that non surgically. I’d want it fixed. Mine was a lot worse than that. I had a 5cm fragment augered into my brachial plexus Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    That's the positive attitude I'm looking for! Too much negativity from my wife. Feeling the same way about getting it fixed, even though my brachial plexus is not in danger of being punctured.

Broke my clavicle yesterday, have to wait until Tuesday to schedule a visit to the ortho. Urgent care said my collar bone is shortened, so they weren't sure if I would need surgery. What do the armchair docs of TGR think? I broke my left clavicle 19 years ago, but it was in 4 pieces and certainly needed surgery. This time around the break looks more aligned. How long do you think I'll be off my bike?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PXL_20230527_182149437.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	1.52 MB 
ID:	460186

Name:	PXL_20230527_182200820.MP.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	991.5 KB 
ID:	460187

This shit always happen at the worse times, we are in the midst of packing up our home for a remodel this summer..... packing up with one arm is FUN!

Quote Originally Posted by brutah View Post
    Broke my clavicle yesterday, have to wait until Tuesday to schedule a visit to the ortho. Urgent care said my collar bone is shortened, so they weren't sure if I would need surgery. What do the armchair docs of TGR think? I broke my left clavicle 19 years ago, but it was in 4 pieces and certainly needed surgery. This time around the break looks more aligned. How long do you think I'll be off my bike?

Name:	PXL_20230527_182149437.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	1.52 MB 
ID:	460186

Name:	PXL_20230527_182200820.MP.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	991.5 KB 
ID:	460187

This shit always happen at the worse times, we are in the midst of packing up our home for a remodel this summer..... packing up with one arm is FUN!
    Having broken my clavicle and helped fix dozens, I’d be tempted to treat that conservatively if it were mine.

Treat it conservatively as in surgery?

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Collarbone snapage.

Conservative usually means non surgical healing. But Orthos are almost always gonna want to cut

That does not need surgery, mine was miles apart and it came back together. You don’t want hardware, for real.
    crab in my shoe mouth

Amputate. It's the only sane option.

I agree, it doesn't look bad on the x-rays and I hope to avoid surgery. I'm weary of surgery In general. I also had a friend that the docs told him to wait for a fewweeks with a similar break to mine to see how it healed on its own and then needed surgery anyways. So I'd rather avoid that.

I've had hardware in my left shoulder for 19 years with little complications so I'm not worried about collarbone surgery. I was also able to ski in about 3 weeks after surgery.

Collarbone snapage.

Treat it conservatively as in surgery?

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
    Non surgical. Recovery would be the same either way as far as returning to activity

Mine was in four pieces and grossly displaced so conservative treatment wasn’t an option. I was worried about the plate and carrying a pack but it hasn’t been an issue. I skied a three weeks after surgery and my orthopedic surgeon wasn’t happy. I work with him a lot and it’s a small community so he found out. I’m not a great patient and generally non compliant. It would probably be best to wait six to eight weeks surgery or not.

Quote Originally Posted by mcski View Post
    … Orthos are almost always gonna want to cut
    When your favorite tool is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.

Based on my collarbone experiences, I would say avoid surgery on that one. Had mine operated on almost 4 1/2 weeks ago. Definitely have mobility quicker, but I would have skipped it if I really had the choice.

Not that it should necessarily affect your decision, but how is your insurance? Thankfully mine is good, and I'm only out $1,500 on a $35,000 bill.

Name:	20230509_131954~2.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	1.09 MB 
ID:	460238

The scar would be cooler if there was a better story behind it. For now, it only serves as a reminder to my wife to be pissed at me. I did end up with some sweet cell phone footage with an audible "snap" to gross out the kids.

What? You're not back riding already?

Agree with others that I'd lean toward conservative treatment for this one. I'd still meet with the ortho, though. While not significantly displaced the Fx is at the distal end which IIRC can still be a more problematic recovery than a similar break in the middle.

met with ortho today. no surgery was his rec, and he thinks it will heal great. I'm happy with that. 5 weeks off the bike, normal activity minus anything with a fall risk until the 3-month mark. then good to go. Hope it heals well!

Getting my hardware out tomorrow, stoked. I've grown to hate it and have wanted it out for years. Made sense to do it now while my other shoulder recovers from a SLAP tear, Hill Sachs lesion, and some other damage from a posterior dislocation in early July.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Getting my hardware out tomorrow, stoked. I've grown to hate it and have wanted it out for years. Made sense to do it now while my other shoulder recovers from a SLAP tear, Hill Sachs lesion, and some other damage from a posterior dislocation in early July.
    Stoked for you man. I'm so glad I took mine out. Bugged the shit out of me, took it out at the earliest opportunity.

Still haven't found a cool use for the titanium... thinking maybe machine a little steel jaw that screws onto the plate and use it as a bottle opener.

Name:	clav hw.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	888.4 KB 
ID:	468185

I guess i should review this thread? I ran out of talent about 8 weeks ago

Sent from my Turbo 850 Flatbrimed Highhorse

As someone in the trades, don't you think that 4th screw from the left is off--too close to the next one and not driven straight. (This is NOT a medical opinion, but as someone whose work could only be judged by the public by the skin stitches, I say orthos should leave neat xrays.) jk

An MD bud told me that an orthopedic surgeon was in fact just a good carpenter but since its kind of important you want one who is anal about getting it right

when i boot topped my Tib/ fib I had that hardware out in < 1 year
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Easiest surgery ever. Hardly any pain which is a bit surprising since he said there was a lot more bone grown over it than the x-ray showed, lots of chiseling. They sent me home with 40 5 mg oxys which was definitely excessive.

eta: Spoke too soon, feeling a little rough today.
    Last edited by Dantheman; 08-27-2023 at 01:34 PM.

Collarbone snapage.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    As someone in the trades, don't you think that 4th screw from the left is off--too close to the next one and not driven straight. (This is NOT a medical opinion, but as someone whose work could only be judged by the public by the skin stitches, I say orthos should leave neat xrays.) jk
    That screw is likely an interfrag screw and doesn’t go through the plate. It’s what’s holding the broken ends of the bone compressed. It could also be an interfrag through the plate and those screw holes have variable angles intentionally. The plate is an internal splint to hold that together as it heals.