Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Ouch, sorry to hear that Aaron. A 3-piece break is surgery for sure.

My clavicle is felling pretty good but the scapula is taking its sweet damn time. I'm still sleeping in a recliner which is starting to get really, really old.

Quote Originally Posted by AaronWright View Post
    The clavicle is in 3 pieces, probably require surgery.
    Fuck, you didn't tell me that man. That is no fun.

You know when you look back and you see your buddy go over the bars and you chuckle a little? It was one of those moments until Aaron didn't move for a minute. Then panic set in and I started to tromp up the hill after him. He clearly was not doing well. He hit the deck pretty damn hard and fast. Could've been a lot worse if the snow was firmer.

Just got back from my orthopod, at least 4 pieces and I'm having surgery Tuesday. He said I could try conservative treatment but it would be 3-5 months. Should be 4-6 weeks with surgery he said. No brainer.

Dan, buy one of those cheap foam sleeping wedges, that with a few pillows is wonderful.

Heal up dude. Thats a bummer.

Vibes, man. The surgery option sounds way better and impressively short recovery period.

I hope to be skiing for the usual end of February/March storm cycles.

Should be 4-6 weeks with surgery he said. No brainer.
    Maybe for day-to-day activities. The break may be calcified and look healed on an xray at 6 weeks, but it won't be back to full strength for another 6 weeks or so. My surgeon recommended full green light no earlier than 10 weeks out and as long as 14 weeks for the worst breaks, which yours would seem to be.

Dan, buy one of those cheap foam sleeping wedges, that with a few pillows is wonderful.
    I'm a stomach/side sleeper. Until I heal up enough to get back to that it's all just window dressing.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Maybe for day-to-day activities. The break may be calcified and look healed on an xray at 6 weeks, but it won't be back to full strength for another 6 weeks or so. My surgeon recommended full green light no earlier than 10 weeks out and as long as 14 weeks for the worst breaks, which yours would seem to be.

I'm a stomach/side sleeper. Until I heal up enough to get back to that it's all just window dressing.
    I'm hoping for work at 4-6 weeks not reckless, uncoordinated skiing.

I'm a side sleeper and the wedge was the only way I could/can get comfortable on my back in bed.

Just got back from my orthopod, at least 4 pieces and I'm having surgery Tuesday. He said I could try conservative treatment but it would be 3-5 months. Should be 4-6 weeks with surgery he said. No brainer.

Any idea how it happened? Did you start to stop your fall with your arm or did you poles get wrapped up in things? I didn't notice that part when you crashed.

Quote Originally Posted by Leavenworth Skier View Post
    Any idea how it happened? Did you start to stop your fall with your arm or did you poles get wrapped up in things? I didn't notice that part when you crashed.
    I think when I hooked my left ski it spun me and my right should/back came down like a hammer. I do think you're right about losing consciousness, I remember looking at you down the trail and some guy asking if I was okay. I said I need to catch my breath and I put my head down and the next thing I remember was Ted asking what hurt and you walking up the hill.

You got up and fell down twice in that span of time. Crazy.

I'm hoping for work at 4-6 weeks not reckless, uncoordinated skiing.
    Gotcha.

Well, surgery is done and I feel pretty good. Had it done at 3 yesterday and was home by 8. My doc said it was one of the hardest one he's had to fix because of the comminution and length of my clavicle. He couldn't use one of the pre-contoured plate and had to bend a longer one. I didn't realize that most of my back, shoulder and chest pain was from the constant "splinting", muscle spasms, and I feel much better today.

Glad to hear you're bolted back together--you'll be back at it soon enough!

Damn, Aaron! That was quite the break. How many screws did they put in? I just had all the hardware removed.

before

after

I'll know next week when I have my follow up and see the x-rays. I just talked to my doc a short time in recovery and I was pretty out of it.
    Pre op xray looked kinda like thisbut with bigger fragments between the two ends.

Holy fuck. Hope for a quick stitch. Meet up for some mellow touring up the T-way in May?

Yikes! That is a pretty crazy break. You'll be good as new in no time.

FWIW I followed this routine post op and thought it did wonders for me.
    http://www.massgeneral.org/ortho/ser...cal_Repair.pdf

What I did that was really really fucking dumb (even though I read it didn't help) was to take calcium supplements. I ended up with a small kidney stone So yeah, don't do that

Well, surgery is done and I feel pretty good.
    Amazing what not having jagged bone ends floating around stabbing you internally will do, eh? I felt great until about 4-5 hours after I got home, then whatever residual painkiller that had been in me from the anesthesia wore off and it hurt like a motherfucker for about 24 hours. Percs helped but I spent most of the night and the following day pacing around the house trying to distract myself from the pain. After that the pain subsided quickly.

4 weeks out from surgery today and I can almost raise my arm to full vertical. At my 2-week post op I could barely get to horizontal. I can wash my hair with both hands now which is nice, and as of Sunday I'm sleeping in bed again. Been riding a spin bike no-handed, lots of walking lunges, walking on a treadmill with the incline maxed and doing 1-arm planks to try and maintain what upper body strength I can.
    Last edited by Dantheman; 12-30-2015 at 02:32 PM.

^check out that Mass General post op stuff. The rubber band and stretch stuff is key.

Yeah, I saved that for future reading. I'll be seeing a PT at my 6-week post op too. They'll be giving me some similar literature and "homework" then. Still non-weight bearing for now and just trying to maintain some fitness and not lose my mind.

^don't wait. Get on it!

Phase One: 0 to 6 weeks after surgery

STRETCHING / PASSIVE MOTION
    Days per Week: 7 Times per day: 4-5
    Program:
    Pendulum exercises
    Supine External Rotation
    Supine assisted arm elevation limit to 90 degrees weeks 1 to 3
    120 degrees weeks 3 to 6
    Isometric exercises: internal and external rotation at neutral
    Elbow and forearm exercises
    Ball squeeze exercise
    Scapular retraction

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Amazing what not having jagged bone ends floating around stabbing you internally will do, eh? I felt great until about 4-5 hours after I got home, then whatever residual painkiller that had been in me from the anesthesia wore off and it hurt like a motherfucker for about 24 hours. Percs helped but I spent most of the night and the following day pacing around the house trying to distract myself from the pain. After that the pain subsided quickly.

4 weeks out from surgery today and I can almost raise my arm to full vertical. At my 2-week post op I could barely get to horizontal. I can wash my hair with both hands now which is nice, and as of Sunday I'm sleeping in bed again. Been riding a spin bike no-handed, lots of walking lunges, walking on a treadmill with the incline maxed and doing 1-arm planks to try and maintain what upper body strength I can.
    Don't know how I missed this thread but it is highly relevant to my interests, and this piece really stuck out.

I'm now 12 weeks out from ORIF procedure, reconstructed left clavicle with plate and 13 screws. Injury was comminuted left clavicle (8 pieces) from a road bike crash. X-ray looked a lot like Aaron's train wreck picture above.

In hindsight Dantheman's flexibility this soon post-op is enviable. My surgeon was adamant about immobilization, fearing I would wrench things out of place I guess, so I was in the sling 24/7 except for showers, until around 6 or 7 weeks post-op. PT started at that point and my range of motion was about zero. Now at 12 weeks it's getting better not nearly where it should be - "frozen shoulder syndrome" is the current diagnosis and the PT remains unpleasant. Strengthening is fun, but ROM sucks. Getting a cortisone injection next week which I hope will loosen things up. (I have plenty of time to work on it though, because some of the fractures are not yet healed up.)

Bottom line, I still wouldn't fight the doctor's orders and do not doubt he had good reason to delay ROM. But if you get the green light to stretch, go for it and be grateful.

Quote Originally Posted by ts01 View Post
    13 screws...8 pieces
    Holy shit, I can see why your surgeon was so conservative. I was told to stop using the sling more or less as soon as comfort allowed, but I also had minimal comminution and only 7 screws. Good luck man.

I had my one week post op visit yesterday. Doc says everything looks good. Reiterated what a nasty fracture this was, said it was pretty high energy, I can confirm. My clavicle was too long and the largest butterfly fragment extended almost to the distal end so that's why they couldn't use one of the pre-contoured plates. The post op xray looked about like strawjack's including 2 inter-frag screws but the plate extended all the way to the sternum. He said the large butterfly was augered into my brachial plexus and I'm lucky I didn't have any nerve damage. Good thing I didn't try to ski down. Back to work and "normal" activity around February 10th.