Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Best Wheeled Ski Bag For Flying - Suggestions?

I'm looking for a ski bag that can fit boots, poles, shovel, etc for taking on airplanes. I didn't find much searching on TGR, but I did come across a nice looking Northface one on the interwebz.

I'm wondering if anyone has had any good/bad experiences with specific bags that I should either be looking for or avoiding?

The bag will be coming with me on some long haul flights (Japan, France, etc) and will also see some time on trains so I would definitely prefer one with wheels so I can lug it between destinations.

From one of the threads on here it looks like 50lbs has been the limit in the past for ski bags. Does anyone know if this is still the case? I have never flown with my skis before so I am a bit of a jong at this.

Dakine concourse double. Totally bomber bag!

Dakine fall line double at 8lbs, with no ski straps. But pack skis flat on bottom (with brake bands) with towels and pack away............Same padding as concourse (which i lovesd) but lighter. lhasa 191 no prob
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

AJ Kitt double bag. I don't know if they still make them, but if you can find one, it will last longer than you. Mine has been cross country more times than I can count and has gone to India without any problems, and yes, it does have wheels. It can fit 210cm skis without a problem and is big enough that the limiting factor is the weight limit, not the size of the bag.

As far as describing the size of the bag, if you are not worried about the weight you can fit 2 pair of 195+ cm skis w/ bindings, all your avy gear, a significant portion of your clothes, ski poles and your ski boots.

Only downside, due to it being huge and built like a tank, it weighs a lot. I cut out everything on the inside and shaved 2 lbs off it, but it still tips the scales at 12-15lbs if my memory serves me correctly.
    Last edited by soul_skier; 10-18-2010 at 02:50 PM.
    Three fundamentals of every extreme skier, total disregard for personal saftey, amphetamines, and lots and lots of malt liquor......-jack handy

Second on the Dakine fall line double. Easy 2 sets of skis, or single set with boots. Great bag.

There is an extensive thread on this very subject. Please search, it has answers to all of your questions.

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/p/,...djustable.html

High Sierra wheeled double PADDED, I have this and it has traveled well for the last 3 years, it carries 195 Motherships and 196 Protests just fine, with poles and a little bc gear is just under 50 lbs.

I sometimes pack the bag with the bases out, it makes me feel better about the bindings not sticking out so much (bag handlers friggin' hate ski bags, as far as I can tell)

Padding is key, don't scrimp, I've had two skis broken in unpadded bags and that's a serious downer, even at the back end of a ski trip

get a 30% off coupon and they are cheap

-and yes this is a repeat thread

I have the Da kine concourse double 200cm and the Fall line 185cm. The concourse is absolutely massive. Much bigger than you need most of the time, there is enough space in there to go like 3x over the airline limits. Both solid bags though
    My drinking buddies say i have a skiing problem...

Quote Originally Posted by DeathVan View Post
    Padding is key, don't scrimp, I've had two skis broken in unpadded bags and that's a serious downer, even at the back end of a ski trip
    Holy shit, broken skis! I was worried more about broken bindings or banged up skis. I think it would take a lot of effort to actually break a pair of skis.

BTW did some more searching and I found a LOT more info. I think some of my search terms were to short so they were getting filtered out so I'll just JONG myself

Quote Originally Posted by nvr2deep View Post
    Dakine concourse double. Totally bomber bag!
    Thirded. sweet bag.

Hugh Conway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Canada Guy View Post
    Holy shit, broken skis! I was worried more about broken bindings or banged up skis. I think it would take a lot of effort to actually break a pair of skis.
    I'm sure 1/4" of foam will stop that from happening.

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post
    I'm sure 1/4" of foam will stop that from happening.
    So far, so good.

Wrap the bindings as well, pack with bases out (this betters the odds of not having the ski tip get wracked on a conveyor or in trolley)

The other and best option is the hard-sided Sporttube
    this is the Lindsey Vonn model, oooh drool...
    http://www.sportube.com/pages/lindse...n-sportube.php

Has anyone ever packed skis flat like this?

I'm wondering if it is a bad idea considering the tips aren't very protected, but it would allow me to fit my boots in the bag as well.

BOOTS = CARRY-ON.

That being said, I have a big Atomic duffel with wheels and one of those extendable tow handles that more than accommodates all gear two people need for an extended trip or a flight somewhere. Skis and poles go in a Sportube for flying, it has wheels and is pretty much bomb-proof.

Dakine fall line double at 8lbs, with no ski straps.
    But pack skis flat on bottom (with brake bands)
    with towels and pack away............Same padding as concourse (which i lovesd) but lighter. lhasa 191 no prob

Uh, yah - seee muy quote from my earlier post..... Use any light padding to protect tips, like ski pants or other gear. I just put gear in light stuff sack to protect gear from tips. Worked all last season and imagine it will work again.............
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

I would go with a big bag from DaKine. I have used my travel bags for years traveling within the US, to Canada, and multiple times to Europe. No issues, the bags always hold up, and never damage any of my equipment. Only thing I would recommend before the long haul flights is getting some bubble wrap and wrapping tips and tails to protect from the bag throwers. Hope this helps...

Hugh Conway Guest

I'm wondering if it is a bad idea considering the tips aren't very protected, but it would allow me to fit my boots in the bag as well.

Collapsilbe poles extended for packing

Bases together I've never had a problem on... a bunch of flights to a bunch of places.

As long as you pack enough stuff around them it should not be a problem. As said above..."Boots=carry on" along ski pants, and jacket. All my underwear and regular clothes can go in the ski bag for padding. I don't want to land some where and not have my boots until three days later.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

I'm a big fan of base to base.
    My record is ten pair international in one bag for a $50 overweight fee.
    By putting a pair on their side, there's a lot more room for other stuff.
    Pack your boots on board, if they still let you do that(?).

If you fly Lufthansa to Europe they allow one free ski bag, never an overweight fee for me... That way pack the bag full to the brim...

I've got this massive Rossi bag made for 3 pairs of 200cm skis... I've had 3 pairs of 195+ skis in there with poles and armour and and and. heavy but bomber
    Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Powder

I have the big Dakine ( no pun) the wheels are great, 3 outer boot and geat pockets and good zips.... and ALL my gear lives in it like a vampire that only comes out in winter... 2 paris powskis, 2 set poles, two complete outer kits, boots, shovel 2 gogs 3 gloves all base layers and on and on. snowshoes too! I can't lift it but it is in a warm basement somewhere in Eagle county...fly with carry on! It will never come back to Hawaii.

fall line double. bout the same padding as the concourse but without the weight

Quote Originally Posted by soul_skier View Post
    AJ Kitt double bag. I don't know if they still make them, but if you can find one, it will last longer than you. Mine has been cross country more times than I can count and has gone to India without any problems, and yes, it does have wheels. It can fit 210cm skis without a problem and is big enough that the limiting factor is the weight limit, not the size of the bag.

As far as describing the size of the bag, if you are not worried about the weight you can fit 2 pair of 195+ cm skis w/ bindings, all your avy gear, a significant portion of your clothes, ski poles and your ski boots.

Only downside, due to it being huge and built like a tank, it weighs a lot. I cut out everything on the inside and shaved 2 lbs off it, but it still tips the scales at 12-15lbs if my memory serves me correctly.
    I have this bag. anyone want it?
    Located in NW Montana, Kootenai/Kootenay basin region; Port of Roosville is closest crossing. Flown with it to Argentina and packed nearly everything I needed in this bag. including a backcountry pack, casual clothes, shovel, avy gear, two pairs of skis and two cases of cliff bars. BAG IS HUGE. around 7' long, padded like crazy, big wheels and skid pad. will let it go for free to anyone who picks it up.

Boots - carry on is a must

I have a big marker bag that fits 3-4 pairs of skis easy. Lenght to about 185 cm. Pretty cheap over at REI...