Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    My story: The shop mounted them at the recommended point with demo bindings. On the line, I felt like I was too much in the backseat in the powder and crud. OTOH, they skied nicely on groomers (go figure).

So, I moved the binders forward about +2 cm - as far as they'd go - which helped a bit in pow and significantly in cut up crud, and didn't hurt on groomers. I feel like they'd do better even further forward than now. Because they skis are so light, I'd like to get some more pressure on the tips to plow through the crud better. I'll get them remounted with the rearward most point about where they are set up now and report back. (I'm in the east now and that probably won't be until February.)

I also compared the mount point to my other powder skis (Billy Goats, S6's, Czars) and they are significantly further back. My guess is the recommended mount point is for tele, not alpine.

Note: The above skiing was after the 5" storm in BCC a few weeks ago. In the fresh stuff, I was mainly skiing on 4-5" on top of groomed, and about 18-20" of right side up or upside down snow (depending on the aspect).
    Sometimes pride comes after a fall.

I've had exactly the opposite experience with them. I find that with the rather substantial, stiff tail, the back portion of the ski floats so well that it almost pushes the tips forward. I mounted mine on the line and always had the feeling that I could dive the tips, especially at slower speeds. The original mount had one of the heel pieces crooked so I had to remount anyway. I read of some people going back as much as 2 cms and that's what I figured I would do for performance and to allow a decent space between the old holes and the new. The shop I took it to for the remount drilled them for -1 because the holes in the toe piece overlapped at -2. They ski better at -1 than on the line. In PNW powder it is almost perfect, but in deep blower powder, I still feel like I have to be wary of the tips. Mine are first year models 192's and I measured the factory midsole mount at 109cm's from the tip. Later models may be different. I haven't checked yet.

Quote Originally Posted by auvgeek View Post
    I'll probably put some inserts so she can use them inbounds too, though.
    Quoting myself here from a few months ago in case anyone else is thinking about doing this. I've heard from a few sources on here that the Drifters suck inbounds. Search Tech Talk to find more info if you care. I'm thinking now that I'll mount them on the line for Dynafits and let her demo some inbounds pow skis (S7W, etc).
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

I have a pair of 192 mounted on the line, and always felt like it's way too far back, the tips and mid-section in front of binding are soft as is and it creates a lot of deflection.
    This year I have a new pair and I'm going to mount them forward +2 and see if that helps. between the size of the tip and the early rise I believe it will float just fine if it's moved forward.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hohes View Post
    I couldn't give a fuck, but today I am procrastinating so TGR is my filler.
    Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    faceshots are a powerful currency
    get paid

so, I was taught to line up the ball of the foot right over the apex of the camber, so that when you applied forward pressure it would distribute evenly. Are you saying that you want something different with these skis or with your style of skiing ?

You sure won't see me mount mine in front of the line, but each to his own. I go ball of foot on center of running length, and up to 2cm back from there depending on purpose of ski. Maybe a bit of fudging from there if the tip is real long compared to the tail rise, etc.

OK a bump as I just scored a pair of 11/12's for cheap, there are still 10/11's (192) for a silly deal on ebay if anyone is interested.

Measuring the marked mount, it is 109 cm straight pull from the tip so the same as earlier versions.

It really looks a long way back, particularly compared to my EHP's and even my Scott daily drivers.

Did anyone go forwards of the line? I know it has a decent tip rocker but it is just sooo rearward.

hey, Calbrit,

I got your PM, but ill just post here.

I haven't mounted my new drifters up yet, so nothing to report.

But what I mentioned in my earlier posts still stands. I don't think there will be any issues if you move the mount forward, the tips never come anywhere close to sinking.

great ski, for the price, with tons of surface area for how light they are...just don't hit anything, they aren't very durable
    get paid

^ Cheers man!

For me, 306bsl, it seems that the regular mount is about 1.5 to 2cm behind the BOF central on the sidecut, and the tip is still a looooong way out there due the the taper and rocker in the tip.

I think I will go at least +1.

Why does this happen every time. Next product, Jondrums plates that can move mount +/- 2cm.

Quote Originally Posted by CaliBrit View Post
    Next product, Jondrums plates that can move mount +/- 2cm.
    That's a great idea! you'd have to use inserts though.
    get paid

Quote Originally Posted by My Pet Powder Goat View Post
    That's a great idea! you'd have to use inserts though.
    Maybe not, holes can be pretty close in that Al plate and perhaps there could be potential. I actually have an idea I want to take one step further but that would be letting the cat out of the bag.

Maybe not, holes can be pretty close in that Al plate and perhaps there could be potential. I actually have an idea I want to take one step further but that would be letting the cat out of the bag.
    sure, but that would involve a lot of unscrewing and moving the bindings. I was thinking something along the line of the plates moving using a similar system to wakeboard, snowboard bindings. Just loosen the screws and slide the plates for/aft... have to be newly designed plates tho, with a wider footprint for the screws to be able to loosen them without removing the bindings

edit to add:

cats luv bags!...whats up with that?
    get paid

I don't recommend mounting them forward based on looking at the ski. As someone who has skied them both on the line and at -1, I can say I liked the -1 much better. As I said earlier in the thread, they have a wide and relatively stiff tail that has a lot of float and unlike skis with pintails and swallowtails which tend to reduce float at the tail and sink the ski there allowing the tips to float, the drifters almost push the tips forward especially at slower speeds. When you come up to speed, the feeling is less pronounced but still there. I skied them for a week in waist deep Selkirk powder and was always finding myself in the back seat. At -1 they were a lot better and even there I felt at times I could have been further back. This is in comparison to a whole host of powder skis like lotus 120's, Wailer 112's, Prior Overlords, S7's Praxis Pow's Sanouks etc which I have skiied and liked on the line. I would definitely advise against mounting forward unless you are planning on ripping groomers on them. They are powder skis!

This is along the lines of what I am thinking, but I would add that the binding is on it's own plate, which interfaces with a plate on the ski.

Switching and moving bindings could become really easy as you could have an easy connection between the plates.

You could buy as many ski and binding plates as you liked, Ski plates would be universal and the binding ones would be hole pattern specific.

Ultimately it is a bit like what Blizzard did with the IQ plate, which is a fantastic idea, just open sourcing it a bit more.

Quote Originally Posted by My Pet Powder Goat View Post
    sure, but that would involve a lot of unscrewing and moving the bindings. I was thinking something along the line of the plates moving using a similar system to wakeboard, snowboard bindings. Just loosen the screws and slide the plates for/aft... have to be newly designed plates tho, with a wider footprint for the screws to be able to loosen them without removing the bindings

edit to add:

cats luv bags!...whats up with that?

Quote Originally Posted by Wetdog View Post
    I don't recommend mounting them forward based on looking at the ski. As someone who has skied them both on the line and at -1, I can say I liked the -1 much better. As I said earlier in the thread, they have a wide and relatively stiff tail that has a lot of float and unlike skis with pintails and swallowtails which tend to reduce float at the tail and sink the ski there allowing the tips to float, the drifters almost push the tips forward especially at slower speeds. When you come up to speed, the feeling is less pronounced but still there. I skied them for a week in waist deep Selkirk powder and was always finding myself in the back seat. At -1 they were a lot better and even there I felt at times I could have been further back. This is in comparison to a whole host of powder skis like lotus 120's, Wailer 112's, Prior Overlords, S7's Praxis Pow's Sanouks etc which I have skiied and liked on the line. I would definitely advise against mounting forward unless you are planning on ripping groomers on them. They are powder skis!
    Good info, I rarely ski powder without the ski on the plane. I just figured a forwards mount would make them more slashy etc once you are on the plane.

Good info, I rarely ski powder without the ski on the plane. I just figured a forwards mount would make them more slashy etc once you are on the plane.
    They are pretty easy to break loose if you want to. They are not quite as loose feeling as skis with more rockered tails, but I found them plenty slashy enough. Moving the mount back didn't effect this, but it improved powder performance.

So I skied 182 wood grain drifter I got for a song on the board. I like pintail directional skis like Lhasa and lotus and of course protest, billy goat and my spurs.

Conditions were 4 inches of slushy pow on a 25 degree open bowl. Had to skin a bowl and ridge for 2-3k with 800-1000 vert. They were light and easy on the up.

Mounted on the line for tecton with dalbello lupo 120ax.

I really liked them on the line. I had read a few threads and of course some liked them on the line and some up to -2.

They ski like an easier Megawatt which is great at 8.5 lbs. Easy on kick turns and in track. Really quick if I pressured them in turns but just floaty and stable.

Really happy with these and look forward to late season and early next season storms.
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)