Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Voile Drifter mounting point

Searched, but not much info. For all those (me included) who picked up cheap Voile Drifters over the summer -- where are you mounting them?

I usually go with the manufacturer's recommended point, but sometimes there's enough of a consensus to move away from the recommendation.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Some info here:
    http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...=167286&page=2

Mounted my drifter 192's 2 cm behind factory line!!!!!! Created new centerline at 78cm from tail. Why??? Because that is the ideal position to ski this ski with an AT set-up. I know the mad engineer who designed this mad fantastic ski and that's the spot.
    When life gives you haters, make haterade.

Quote Originally Posted by sfotex View Post
    Some info here:
    http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...=167286&page=2

Mounted my drifter 192's 2 cm behind factory line!!!!!! Created new centerline at 78cm from tail. Why??? Because that is the ideal position to ski this ski with an AT set-up. I know the mad engineer who designed this mad fantastic ski and that's the spot.
    Thanks - I saw that, but am looking for more input. This guy's post sounded a little.... off.

Quote Originally Posted by ridgehead View Post
    Mounted my drifter 192's 2 cm behind factory line!!!!!! Created new centerline at 78cm from tail. Why??? Because that is the ideal position to ski this ski with an AT set-up. I know the mad engineer who designed this mad fantastic ski and that's the spot. Deciced to mount my fritsche freerides instead of dynafit for 3 reasons.
    1. Never skied dynafits and can they handle such a fat ski?
    2.Touring Rogers next week. Don't want to be testing a new set-up while I'm on a BIG tour.
    3. Skiing the 182 AND 192 Drifters as demos with the fritsche I really like being up higher for more leverage. MUCH PREFER THE 192.

How do I bend my 110 Fritsche freeride brakes to fit the Drifter???Anyone?

Summary: Very quick edge to edge and drifting, well, they can't be beat. Skied them in all kinds of conditions last week at Alta and really put them through their paces. Short tree turns. Long powder arcs, crud busting and the firmpack under the lifts. So much fun. Not tiring at all. Very responsive, stable at speed, switch is great, a rock solid platform.
    Me 172lbs. 6'. 48. PSIA level III. JHA...
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

I have a pair of 182's with dynafits mounted 1.5 cm behind the line. I have a forward stance and like to feel the tongues of my boots. I thought this was a good spot. The factory line looked a little too far forward for me. I went 1.5 bc it looked right to me and have had no regrets. Sweet touring ski I really love mine.

My 182's are on the line and I have been happy with them.

I'm mounting my 192's tele and they told me that they recommend the same boot center for alpine and tele... I'll probably just listen to them but it sounds strange to me

Need to mount mine, anyone had any additional feedback? I mounted my sons 162s on the line and he seems to enjoy them, but he's a good bit jibbier than I am.
    Driving to Targhee

On the line feels pretty good to me! But what do I know, I just ski.

I mounted Mrs. C.'s 182s on the line.

The topsheet center marks were different between the two skis (they're just decals stuck on the topsheets -- crookedly). I picked one, and measured for my own centerline mark for the other ski.

She skied these for the first time today, and loves them. She's never said this about any ski before after just 1 run.

I mounted them with Salomon alpine bindings. Very, very light weight setup.

I still can't decide where to mount these guys. My previous ski was a bluehouse maestro mounted -2cm w/barons and I felt it was easy to get out of control in the backseat. Considering -1cm for these.

I have some 182's mounted on the line and would probably prefer if they were -1 or -2.
    Let us so live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry - Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Power_Sauce View Post
    I have some 182's mounted on the line and would probably prefer if they were -1 or -2.
    because?
    Sometimes pride comes after a fall.

Quote Originally Posted by bl2000 View Post
    because?
    They ski short. In hindsight I should have gone with the 192's.
    Let us so live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry - Mark Twain

A follow up for Power Sauce o anyone else who would like to comment. What kind of binders do you have on them (AT, Alpine, Tele)?

Quote Originally Posted by cat in january View Post
    A follow up for Power Sauce o anyone else who would like to comment. What kind of binders do you have on them (AT, Alpine, Tele)?
    Mounted with dynafits. Used them for soft snow touring only - probably 20 days or so last season.

Think I'm going to go -2 on my 182 Drifter Zero's. (Anyone notice the new graphics for 2012? Meh.)

Except for the slight "early rise' tail, the 182 Drifter Zero is almost exactly the same length and profile as my 183 Bro Fat, and the mounting line on the Bro Fat is 2cm back compared to the Drifter's line. Per the specs the 365mm early-rise tip on the Drifter is 6.5cm longer than the 300mm early-rise tip on the Bro, but the Drifter rise starts so gradually that the tip is maybe 2mm elevated where is passes the start of the Bro tip. So the front contact point is really about the same. Sure, the rear contact point is definitely further from the tail on the Drifter so logically you'd want the mount more forward than the Bro for skiing groomers, but who buys Drifters for groomers?

I bought the Bro's late last season and only got one day on them so far, but the mount felt perfectly balanced. If the Drifters feel the same but even floatier on deep days, I'll be seriously stoked.
    Last edited by 1000-oaks; 10-02-2011 at 06:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Power_Sauce View Post
    They ski short. In hindsight I should have gone with the 192's.
    Height/weight?

I'm just going to get some cheap-ass demo bindings and play with the mount positions.

Quote Originally Posted by bl2000 View Post
    I'm just going to get some cheap-ass demo bindings and play with the mount positions.
    Here you go...

http://www.evo.com/outlet/alpine-ski...mm-brakes.aspx
    Goal: ski in the 2018/19 season

Quote Originally Posted by 1000-oaks View Post
    Height/weight?
    6'-0", 165 lbs. Had sollyfits on a pair of 188 CM Praxis Protests and switched to touring on those about halfway through the season given they were way more fun on the down making the weight penalty worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by Shorty_J View Post
    Mind f-in reader. I hope these don't suck too bad.

They're good bindings. I have a older pair on another set of skis. No slop in them and reliable hold and release when they should. Very easy to adjust with no tools. Just make sure your forward pressure is set correctly, which isn't hard to do.
    Goal: ski in the 2018/19 season

I have 192 Drifters mounted last year with Dynafit ST 10's and found the mounting point too forward. The shop that mounted them did one of the toe pieces crooked so I had to remount anyway. After reading this post, I decided to remount at -2 at a different shop, but they mounted them at -1 saying -2 was too much. I was pissed off, but at least they weren't crooked anymore! They ski pretty well at -1 so I don't have really have any issues any more, but wonder all the time about what -2 would be like. They do seem to have a more forward factory mount point than I find comfortable in deep snow.

Quote Originally Posted by Wetdog View Post
    The shop that mounted them did one of the toe pieces crooked [...] I decided to remount at -2 at a different shop, but they mounted them at -1 saying -2 was too much.
    Man, you need to find some different shops! That's just unacceptable to me.

Picked up some 162 Drifters for my mom from STP blowout. Think I'm gonna mount 'em -1 or -2. Be nice to hear more opinions from those who have them behind the line. Anybody regret it?
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

Ooo. I did not know that. She is by no means an aggressive skier.

A Tech Talk search seem indicate that's a myth:

http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...oint-for-Women
    http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...038#post836038

I'll talk with her, but I'm thinking -1. She's using them as a pow-specific touring rig, so I don't want too long of a tail. I'll probably put some inserts so she can use them inbounds too, though.

Anyway, thanks for the heads up. Another buddy just got a pair as well, so I'm still interested if anybody mounted -2 and regrets it.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos