Thread: Arizona Stoke.

Arizona Stoke.

Arizona skiing from the last few years.

This is my first TR and I'm just trying to figure out how to work this computer. Skiing in AZ isn't always bad, here's a few from the past couple of seasons.
    Last edited by RaisingArizona; 10-12-2010 at 11:09 PM.

What part of the state? My sweetie just moved to Tucson, and I visited for the first time over the weekend. Given that Lemmon gets enough snow to run a resort, some of the other nearby peaks look attractive for backcountry stupidity.

Saguaro slalom?

Flagstaff. It's really the only spot in the state for good high alpine backcountry, the snow is VERY hit or miss though.

Sick!!!! Looks like the San Francisco Peaks to me. Only ones big enough and high enough to get that much snow. Well, at least as far as I know! I was down in that area last spring and there was some great looking lines.

Keep posting, I'd love to see more!
    Skiing, whether you're in Wisconsin or the Alps, is a dumbass hick country sport that takes place in the middle of winter on a mountain at the end of a dirt road.
    -Glen Plake

Nice! Been some decent snow last couple of years, hopefully this year is more of the same...
    Skiing, where my mind is even if my body isn't.

Quote Originally Posted by RaisingArizona View Post
    This looks interesting!

Quote Originally Posted by RaisingArizona View Post
    Yup, looks like the Inner Basin to me. Skied Snow Bowl a few times and I climbed up Humphrey's one fall to do some scouting and check it out but never made it back in the winter. Then of course as soon as I move back to MT last year, they have the deepest snow pack in a long, long time...

Some awesome terrain back there if you can catch the right conditions.

Nice shots RA. Brings back memories of the ~4000 vertical foot run from Agassiz to below Locket Meadow. Runout is long and flatish, but a fun shuttle run anyway. You guys are getting after it on those lines from the saddle to Humphreys. You probably skin back to the W. or S. side instead of shuttling sometimes?

FAKE

IF TGR DIDNT MAKE A MOVIE THERE IT DOESNT EXIST

Excellent!!! We are planning a trip (if snow happens) this Winter to AZ w/ hopes to hit all four areas for "slack & backcountry", but only if Mt. Lemmon gets enough to play on ( the furthest South in the continental U.S. also the mountain where it all started for me).

Here's a few more from last season.

And a nice shot on Core Ridge,

If we get half of what last season brought we'll be lucky.

Oh, what the hell, a few more. It makes me happy to go back and look at the fun times.
    My man James, early May.

Quote Originally Posted by coldsmoker View Post
    This looks interesting!
    That was the first crux in what we call Hole in The Wall 3 seasons ago. It was thin. During the epic winter of 2005 you could ski cleanly through this section. This go at the line we had to grab the rock in the lower right hand corner of the picture with our left hand and pull our skis onto the tiny snow ledge just to the viewers left of the rock. Then you could slide into the dog leg of the coulior and connect about five steep turns to the next cliff out/crux. Getting into the move in the picture was exposed, steep, and our skis were only making contact at the tips and tails so we were suspended over some good exposure as if bouncing on leaf springs. It was fun! The next photo is the next section of the chute.

Quote Originally Posted by bobrmr View Post
    Yup, looks like the Inner Basin to me. Skied Snow Bowl a few times and I climbed up Humphrey's one fall to do some scouting and check it out but never made it back in the winter. Then of course as soon as I move back to MT last year, they have the deepest snow pack in a long, long time...

Some awesome terrain back there if you can catch the right conditions.
    It was good last year but wasn't anything near as good as 2005. That season we came close to 500 inches.

Quote Originally Posted by Ermine View Post
    Nice shots RA. Brings back memories of the ~4000 vertical foot run from Agassiz to below Locket Meadow. Runout is long and flatish, but a fun shuttle run anyway. You guys are getting after it on those lines from the saddle to Humphreys. You probably skin back to the W. or S. side instead of shuttling sometimes?
    Yep, We hardly ever do the big shuttle. We can usually do 3 good line in one day by skinning and then end up back at my favorite ski lodge bar to tell tall tails about our days adventures!

Nice!

I lived in Flag for five years/winters. Two winters were great, one was ok, and the other two I just spent in Sedona climbing.

Back then (1999-2004) you could go ski touring and usually see very few people, if any.

BJ still around at Snowbowl?

the San Francisco Peaks, aka Kachina Peaks, aka Arizona Snowbowl got a little crop dusting last week, first of the season.

some of my own (low quality) photos..