School me on Hardshells

Looking for a new hardshell. 5'11 185 lbs, athletic build. Going to be skiing at Baker this year so waterproofness is the # 1 priority. I'm also a college student with limited funds, I would like to get a great jacket but don't really want to be spending more than $300. I was also hoping I could get a rundown on the best places to find deals whether it be online or somewhere in store in either Vancouver or Seattle and the surrounding areas.

Thanks.

Go to stores....

Try on all the jackets, find the one you like / want, obsesively watch SAC / TD and other known internet hotspots, check Gear Swap, post a WTB in gearswap, repeat.

I recommend Arcteryx. Got a Sidewinder off SAC for 229 earlier this year. Make sure that you bring your helmet when you try them on for hood fit. There are lots of good name brands out there. IMHO 3-Layer Gore-tex is best. Once you get it, as soon as the water doesn't bead up all pretty (not when it completely doesn't bead up but when it kinda looks like it isn't as good as it was), retreat with DWR.

Quote Originally Posted by james11 View Post
    waterproofness is the # 1 priority.
    Quote Originally Posted by neufox47 View Post
    I recommend Arcteryx. ... IMHO 3-Layer Gore-tex is best. .
    Word. Arcteryx has great weather resistance. And anything with Gore-Tex comes with a lifetime warranty for waterproofing.

And finally, remember: You get what you pay for.

For the last 10years I've had two Arcteryx Sidewinder SV jackets. I sold the second Sidewinder as I found the collar to be too restrictive. So, this year I will be rocking a Norrona Lofoten Pro Shell. I really like the style, design and engineering of the Norrona products. They are expensive but deals can be found... for example there's one listed here on Gear Swap now. Also, keep checking your favorite internet auction site in the UK and Europe as they seem to be more for sale here. Gear exchange on snowheads.com is also good.

look a t eVent. That's the most waterproof breathable hardshell material I've seen.
    Quote Originally Posted by SpinalTap View Post
    I'm really troubled by whatever pictures the Don had to search through to arrive at that one...

Listen the advice posted above. Try on, Try on again w/ helmet. Try on again and check the collar height. You will be surprised.

Buy a known brand and you get what you pay for. This would be a good short list depending on budget

Patty
    Westcomb- event
    Fly low

Others

Cloudveil
    Arctereyx
    Outdoor research

i just sold both my dead bird jackets, sidewinder SV (gore XCR) and beta SL (gore paclite).
    both were awesome jackets but i wanted eVent.

i got a mad deal on a Montane Halo Stretch Event jacket via bc.com and i'm hoping that this single jacket will take the place of both of those.

hadn't heard of or seen the brand before (uk montaineering stuff), but the construction is top notch, very techy, awesome collar/hood.

anyway, they're still on sale.
    In search of the elusive artic powder weasel ...

I have an Arcteryx Sidewinder and agree it is a great jacket, 100% dry in it, zero snow gets in. Go w/ the Gore XCR fabric since it is nice and thick, the paclite feels like it would cut pretty easily. A good place to find deals a couple times a year are:

moosejaw.com and blackcreekoutfitters.com. Look in the clearance sections. I picked up the Sidewinder for $240 from one of these places a couple of years ago. If you are near an REI, start checking the basement area daily/weekly to score a great deal on a returned jacket. I picked up a Beta SL for the wife for $100, it looked brand new. You need to go regularly since the good stuff goes fast.

arg, looking at some sweet deals on moosejaw.com but they only ship within the U.S... Thoughts? Is there somewhere I can ship to in Bellingham and then pick up ?

Quote Originally Posted by timeo View Post
    I have an Arcteryx Sidewinder and agree it is a great jacket, 100% dry in it, zero snow gets in. Go w/ the Gore XCR fabric since it is nice and thick, the paclite feels like it would cut pretty easily.
    Just an FYI - XCR has been "replaced" by Pro Shell. I think it is the same thing. Has anyone seen the graph showing waterproofness and breathability of different fabrics? I found one years ago that made me go with XCR over the other brands, but that was before E-vent. I just did a lazy mans search and didn't find it.

Quote Originally Posted by pfluffenmeister View Post
    i just sold both my dead bird jackets, sidewinder SV (gore XCR) and beta SL (gore paclite).

i got a mad deal on a Montane Halo Stretch Event jacket via bc.com and i'm hoping that this single jacket will take the place of both of those.

hadn't heard of or seen the brand before (uk montaineering stuff), but the construction is top notch, very techy, awesome collar/hood.

Thanks for the advice. Just pulled the trigger on one of these on bc.com. After a couple days of exhaustive research it seemed like a killer deal on a great jacket. There was only 4 left of my size/color, moved fast.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ObHkTbDmqS4(wicked hood)

This review really made me want it. (I specifically wanted a full neck/face covering hood)

http://www.petesy.co.uk/montane-halo...jacket-review/

Thanks to all for the advice.

REI has the cheapest (non deal price) eVent jacket called the Shusksan, onsale for 209, will be tough to beat that price. Haven't seen it in person but I've heard good things, no pit zips though. Personally I have the Westcomb Mirage, got it last fall and very happy with the performance, but it was not cheap.

http://www.rei.com/product/802251

flylow quantum is "only" 350. bomber construction and packs super small. psyched to get out and use mine this winter

Salomon The Don on sale, 20k/20k
    black only, size L $251

O'Neill Jones 3L $399. 20k/20k .... I have o'Neill gear. It's the cat's pajamas.

westcomb is having their sample sale at valhalla pure on west broadway this weekend
    http://www.clubtread.com/sforum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=37391

no personal experience with their stuff, but eVent is definately a great membrane.
    Quote Originally Posted by Smoke
    Cell phones are great in the backcountry. If you're injured, you can use them to play Tetris, which helps pass the time while waiting for cold embrace of Death to envelop you.

Anyone know if the new Westcomb stuff is out yet? Contemplating a new Vapor FX but the only place that seems to have it is their website.

patty primo gortex!
    Zone Controller

"He wants to be a pro, bro, not some schmuck." - Hugh Conway

"DigitalDeath would kick my ass. He has the reach of a polar bear." - Crass3000

Hardshells have more meat and it's sweeter and tastier. Softshells tend to be a little cheaper, though.

Wait, we're talking about lobsters, right?
    Outlive the bastards - Ed Abbey

Quote Originally Posted by james11 View Post
    Thanks for the advice. Just pulled the trigger on one of these on bc.com. After a couple days of exhaustive research it seemed like a killer deal on a great jacket. There was only 4 left of my size/color, moved fast.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ObHkTbDmqS4(wicked hood)

This review really made me want it. (I specifically wanted a full neck/face
    covering hood)

http://www.petesy.co.uk/montane-halo...jacket-review/

Thanks to all for the advice.
    Thanks for your research and the link! Just got second to last in blue/steel in a large. This should fit the bill!
    The Passion is in the Risk

And you thought I forgot to thank you. I just can't bother to figure out how to multi-quote - yes, I'm a tech dumbass! Nice post. Thanks.

^^^ LOL!

no worries, (initially i was like "heeeey, that was my idea").
    happy to share the stoke on cheap(ish) gear.

i got the last medium in burnt orange stacked with a code (the price was so nice, i almost felt guilty).

almost.
    In search of the elusive artic powder weasel ...

^^^ LOL!

no worries, (initially i was like "heeeey, that was my idea").
    happy to share the stoke on cheap(ish) gear.

i got the last medium in burnt orange stacked with a code (the price was so nice, i almost felt guilty).

almost.
    Just got jacket today - very psyched! Great fit. I'm a bit barrel chested and other slim fit shells have always jamed me under the pits but not this! Weight is schweet and hood design is awesome.
    Now let's hope it breathes as well as the research states. I'll be testing it out on Wt. Washington in the next couple weeks for some early season ice. Gotta love TGR! Thanks again pfnm!