Thread: Arlberg: when

Arlberg: when

Looking for recommendations on best time to schedule a trip there with respect to snow (lots) and people (few).

I know to avoid Christmas, but any input on German/Austrian school holidays or other Euro holiday periods that send the masses to the slopes and therefore should be avoided?

Also, how early/late in the season is the snow typically reliable?

Hi Mr Mike, I went to St Anton 2 Christmases ago. Snow was good and I didn't find it overly busy, just the odd run back into the town at the end of the day that got crowded. I went to Ischgl 2nd week of April this year, and the snow was getting a little mushy in the afteroons. It was pretty quiet when we went.
    We hit Lech for a day whilst in St Anton and found it had great snow, not too busy, but quite expensive.
    Here's a link for the European school holidays: http://www.wheretoskiandsnowboard.co...idays-2010-11/
    Snowfall's hit and miss really, but I'd say 2nd week of December to 2nd week April's your best bet.
    Hope this helps.

middle of february there are german vacations. i'd avoid that week

edit: oh. i just realized "Fasching" is 2011 from 3rd-10 march. avoid that week! crowded as christmas.

good time for less crowds is mid-end jan and april.

snow is good from jan-april. but thats changing as everywhere in the alps/world.

I know at least eastern Austria has school holidays 2/21-2/25, other parts may be slightly different.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Last year was super hectic throughout February and also coincided with a prolonged dry spell.

I'd shoot for early March.
    Pro skiers look like a bag of skittles.

http://themando.wordpress.com/

id say beginning of march too, but:

Quote Originally Posted by Marius View Post
    edit: oh. i just realized "Fasching" is 2011 from 3rd-10 march. avoid that week! crowded as christmas.
    !

it can be pretty good and not really crowded at the arlberg at the beginning of the season, it just depends on the year. last year was really bad, they couldnt even open as planned, but that is rare. if they have a good base in november, a visit in early december can be really good...
    personally, i wouldnt go skiing at the arlberg from mid dec. until one week past easter, but well, lots of people seem to like the crowds

freak~[&]

Servus! Fasching 2011 is Monday 7th March Rosenmontag
    Tuesday 8th March Faschingsdienstag
    Wednesday 9th March Aschermittwoch
    Carnival is a great time to ski, but the crowds are oftern real bad, and the traffic around Anton/Arlberg is truly fucked up....ski Arlberg Jan-Feb
    If you can´t keep up, keep the fuck outta my way

I have closed down St Anton twice and found good snow conditions into mid-April. And no people. When I caught a cab to the train station they had to send a school bus to get me since al the cabs had been put away for the season. After Easter weekend it's like everyone gives up on skiing.

I've never found the crowds to be too tough in March, either.
    "Buy the Fucking Plane Tickets!"
    -- Jack Tackle

Quote Originally Posted by JoeStrummer View Post
    I've never found the crowds to be too tough in March, either.
    that might be true. but it depends on the christian calendar. i dont know how this works with Easter an Fasching, but it is connected. late Easter=late Fasching.

the austrian school holidays dont count. Austria plans it's school holidays by state around the german Fasching-holidays.
    The swiss-holidays dont count for Austria, too.

maybe the Netherland's Crocos holidays are a factor. dont know that for the arlberg-region.

but anyways. skiing in October on hardfrozen glacier or kunstschnee is the hot shot!!

I personally would go the end of January. Usually a base by then, Its lowish season so lodging is cheaper. The main face of St. Anton also faces south so does best in the cold period of January from a crust/mank perspective. I actually think this is pretty key to getting good conditions last longer there. Even in January stuff can get pretty manky quick when the sun comes out.

All this said, I usually go the busiest week of the year, New Years, and still have a blast. THere are a few lifts that always have lines at certain times, but they are relatively easy to avoid as long as you get up in the morning.
    He who has the most fun wins!

If I was going to go skiing and stuff there I would suggest that winter is the best time to go.

Hugh Conway Guest
    I've been in mid-late January, mid-February and early march. Mid-late January was the best for crowds; base was good but that's obviously season dependent.

Go for two weeks. Last week of January and first week of February.
    Fresh Tracks are the ultimate graffitti.
    Schmear

Set forth the pattern to succeed.
    Sam Kavanagh

Friends of Tuckerman Ravine