Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 LastLast
    Anyone going to be around this weekend?

FYI, as of yesterday Tioga is closed 4 miles west of Mo Mart due to rockfall. Rumor is road was damaged and needs repair +/- 2 weeks. We headed down to Rock Creek yesterday which is still pretty good. Virginia Lakes skied well the last two days as well.

Anyone have any update to Tioga status today?

Here's some eastside (and a little Tahoe) stoke from an epic road trip I took during the last couple weeks of May. Best trip I've ever done! More words & pics here. Sorry if I posted some of these pics previously...

Awesome pics, Jim. Where is that pumice hill?

NIce,Jim. You really got to ride a lot this year!

Quote Originally Posted by Frazier View Post
    FYI, as of yesterday Tioga is closed 4 miles west of Mo Mart due to rockfall. Rumor is road was damaged and needs repair +/- 2 weeks. We headed down to Rock Creek yesterday which is still pretty good. Virginia Lakes skied well the last two days as well.

Anyone have any update to Tioga status today?
    well ain't that a bitch...Do you know if the closure is west of the powerhouse turnoff?
    A good friend would come bail you out of jail. A great friend would be sitting next to you saying..."but damn that was FUN"

You can repost this all summer long!

Tioga closure is supposedly 4 miles west of momart which i think is past the powerhouse turnoff..

no estimated reopening date yet.

Great TR jimw, well worth clicking over to that "other" site

Been wanting to get out and do that white mtn mtn bike ride for years now but it hasn't really come to fruition just yet, glad you got it...and good to see you made such a killer trip out of some unstable weather that sent most packing.
    A good friend would come bail you out of jail. A great friend would be sitting next to you saying..."but damn that was FUN"

MT - yes closure is after Powerhouse turn.

Also, down Bishop way road to Mt Locke is clear to 9,000ft with snow line between 9,500-10,000.

JimW - sweet stuff man! Also, that sportmobile looking van is a pretty cool looking setup for eastside trips.

Quote Originally Posted by Frazier View Post
    Also, down Bishop way road to Mt Locke is clear to 9,000ft with snow line between 9,500-10,000.
    I'm definitely putting suspension reinforcement and skidplates on my next car ... but what kind of ground clearance do you think is needed for roads back to Locke, Bloody, Green Creek? 9" 10" 10+"?

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

Quote Originally Posted by SchralphMacchio View Post
    I'm definitely putting suspension reinforcement and skidplates on my next car ... but what kind of ground clearance do you think is needed for roads back to Locke, Bloody, Green Creek? 9" 10" 10+"?
    The upper part of Buttermilk is pretty gnarly. I wouldn't do it in a Subaru or lesser SUV. We were able to get to get above 9000', but I felt like I was beating the crap out of my Tundra to get there.

Curious to hear about the other roads mentioned though.

Quote Originally Posted by jimw View Post
    Here's some eastside (and a little Tahoe) stoke from an epic road trip I took during the last couple weeks of May. Best trip I've ever done! More words & pics here. Sorry if I posted some of these pics previously...
    Awesome TR. My favorite part about his royal highness Powder Dan: "Dan was heading up to TPR to do a solo Yosemite to Mammoth tour. This was during the timeframe when everyone was bailing on riding due to the nuking winds [...] If you ever think you're doing something cool on the eastside, slap yourself because there are probably 20 locals out there who did the same thing before breakfast last week."

... I'd just like to stress that Hansi Hinterseer and I did not bail that day and skied Solstice Couloir on Mt. Dana
    Ein Berg ohne Absturzgefahr ist nur noch Attrappe. (Reinhold Messner)

Quote Originally Posted by AKbruin View Post
    Awesome pics, Jim. Where is that pumice hill?
    Drive south on 395 from Lee Vining towards June lake. Somewhere around the 120 east continuation turnoff, look to the left. You can't miss it.

I've since learned that many people have ridden that thing. I was talking to bcd, and he was recounting when he went out there with some tele skiiers. Apparently it was pretty funny watching the tele guys try to ride it. He also said a green forest service truck drove up while they were out there, and they thought they were busted. Turns out they just wanted to make sure nobody was out there motoing or ATV'ing up there. It's closed to motorized use, but apparently it's fine to shred under human power!

I also found out that in one of the old Greg Stump movies, Dr. Strange Glove, there's a weird scene with Glen Plake monoskiing there (I think) - nude! Awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer View Post
    JimW - sweet stuff man! Also, that sportmobile looking van is a pretty cool looking setup for eastside trips.
    Yeah, it's the Ghetto-Sportsmobile. It has the 4wd and that's it. But that's the most important part. Nothing built out in the back (yet). But hey, if it can make it out to the Buttermilks and up Laurel Lakes road, I'm stoked! Speaking of which:

Quote Originally Posted by SchralphMacchio View Post
    Green Creek - Dirt road. Any normal passenger car can make it.
    Buttermilks - A bit rough once you start getting close to the goods, and worse the higher you go. 4wd useful, high clearance good but maybe not totally required if you're real careful and don't mind stopping maybe a bit before the very very furthest you can drive.
    Laurel Lakes - 4wd/high clearance pretty much mandatory.

Quote Originally Posted by Franz Klammer View Post
    Awesome TR. My favorite part about his royal highness Powder Dan: "Dan was heading up to TPR to do a solo Yosemite to Mammoth tour. This was during the timeframe when everyone was bailing on riding due to the nuking winds [...] If you ever think you're doing something cool on the eastside, slap yourself because there are probably 20 locals out there who did the same thing before breakfast last week."

... I'd just like to stress that Hansi Hinterseer and I did not bail that day and skied Solstice Couloir on Mt. Dana
    Slap yourself. I don't wanna hear about how good Solstice was. And you didn't get to ride the pumice hill now did you. Neener.
    Last edited by jimw; 06-10-2011 at 11:53 PM.

We were able to milk the Mt Locke/ Wahoo gullies road up to about 8700' with the Prescott College 15-passenger van. Ha! Had to take some air out of the tires for the way down, though, and I walked down that first hill. Eeek.

Jim I think I met you at the Mo-mart the day that Tioga road opened. We belayed our students into the top of Ellery Bowl- they were all wide-eyed and loved it.

jimw is still at it! (bottom of S chute yesterday)

A bunch of us splitboarders put first tracks in Chute out/poop chute/S chute (all really good). Lots of people on Dana too. Snow is still good and smooth and coverage is crazy for June.

Quote Originally Posted by cdlv View Post
    Tioga closure is supposedly 4 miles west of momart which i think is past the powerhouse turnoff..

no estimated reopening date yet.
    well played

fyi:
    road up to mammoth lakes basin is plowed and opened up yesterday. lake george is completely frozen over still and the walls roadside are about 6-10'

Last edited by cdlv; 06-13-2011 at 08:00 AM.

my Mono lake tufa interpretation:

and gimpy, the road was closed til Thursday afternoon.

The 120 stoke reminds me ...

If anyone finds (found) a BD Raven Pro 75 cm axe in Glacier Canyon (Dana), my buddy Nate left it on Monday 5/31 and will happily send you a lot of beer to get it back. Just a brain-lacking-calorie manoeuver when strapping skis to the pack to cross a scree field ...

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

@AK/SM: I've been all over the Green Creek Road area in my Taco Mama with no problem, but I wouldn't advise a lot of it on anything less than that. Vets' buddy bottomed out in his Suby--to the point where they had to push it uphill and spend a lot of time digging up rocks and boulders for it to get over/around--a few seasons ago on quite a few of the tributary roads I've been on around there. The lower parts of Green Creek Road are totally accessible to "regular" vehicles as they are basically graded dirt roads (quite similar to the lower part of Red Lakes Road that takes you to the meadow way below The Patches), but the off-shoots that take you to some sweet turns are definitely 4X4 only (more akin to the upper part of Forestdale Divide or the bumpy road to Leavitt Lake).
    "Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

https://www.blizzard-tecnica.com/us/en

ahhhh. i thought they had pulled off a gem. looked like only a track or 2 in chuteout on sunday so we musta been following your trax b.

how'd you like that entrance? I had to do some cornice shoveling to get in above those rocks