Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast
    ^^^Great Parachute write-up. I skied the Bloody Couloir in identical conditions immediately following a freak snow-squal last year on april 30th or so. It seems a windless snowstorm in the Eastern Sierra is a rare blessing....

Corn was still in a bit of a transitory phase this weekend but there was still an awfull lot of fun to be had...

artsy...

Mrs MTs turn to set the booter

views were kinda mediocre...

yes turns were made

bc cooler
    A good friend would come bail you out of jail. A great friend would be sitting next to you saying..."but damn that was FUN"

Booyah!

Last edited by BGnight; 04-19-2011 at 11:07 PM.

So despite my best attempts to convince them otherwise, we are doing Whitney. Well, at least after this one time I have it out of my system and I'll never have to do it again.
    Ein Berg ohne Absturzgefahr ist nur noch Attrappe. (Reinhold Messner)

Fyi, Monday's storm refreshened high N faces for yesterday's sunny/not to breezy day (Tues) with some great dense pow and todays storm should offer even some more to freshen lines up. So, if I was chomping at the bit I'd be ready Friday to get some. Seems like this is a pattern to jump on wx windows as you wouldn't want to be out either side of these days. Winds were absolutely nuking Monday night at Twin Lakes. Talked to a couple dudes who were camped up high that night and they didn't seem to happy about it. (watch for pockets of wind loading!)

Btw, bottom of Twin Lakes/Horse Cr sucked dick. Frozen crust that's almost impossible to skin on without crampons and the alternative is booting up to your gnads. Afternoon it was rotten mush.

BGnight - thanks for the heads up - heading that way this weekend hopefully. And btw - your pictures are getting sweet. What are you shooting with?

The first one is a Canon 40D slr. I was wishing I had my tripod when I saw that sunrise yesterday! The second one is just my little point and shoot with lots of tweeking.

^ yeah he's got his 40D with L glass ... heavy ass setup to haul into the BC but well worth it when conditions and light are just right!

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

Awesome - yeah those long range shots are really cool. Figure my LX-3 is a good option for actual touring and, more importantly, climbing (given there I really care about weight), but once I start to get the photo chops down I would like to get a DSLR for general photography, traveling, etc... A year or so off on that, though.

End of thread/jack.

Anyone have any beta on Basin Mountain (roads, snow, etc.)? I'm hoping to tick it off the list on Saturday.

Check this link. Assuming things are roughly the same as they were on Monday, it sounds like the road should be passable to near the base of Basin.

^^^You're the man, Jim.

Today didn't suck (and if you ask me how the corn is shaping up you don't deserve to know and should just quit skiing):

Quote Originally Posted by BGnight View Post
    Today didn't suck (and if you ask me how the corn is shaping up you don't deserve to know and should just quit skiing):
    Where EXACTLY is that??? How do you think the corn will be on a N. slope tomorrow at precisely 12:35 PM?? (j/k)

Maybe it's just your camera, but that does look better than the windslab, crust, windslab, crust, windslab, crust that I rode yesterday down south. But I did get buzzed by about 10 military planes flying in formation which was kinda cool I guess...
    I'll be the hyena, you'll see.

Norman Clyde. 10 outta 10 on the pow meter!!

Quote Originally Posted by UPGRAYEDD_2505 View Post
    Where EXACTLY is that??? How do you think the corn will be on a N. slope tomorrow at precisely 12:35 PM?? (j/k)
    annoyingly powdery

where did you ride?

^^^
    University SE chute, only bottom half 'cause it was windy and firm and I didn't bring an ice axe and I suck lol. The lower stuff rode ok. Your pic looks much better tho...
    I'll be the hyena, you'll see.

A couple kook skiers did Middle Palisade, Mt. Sill, and V-notch in the same day yesterday. I hear meth is a helluva drug.

^yeah, it's cool those "kook" skiers use of "meth" in reality translates to a fast-and-light style of alpinism executed to the highest level of ski mountaineering in the Sierra. Pretty rad shit

On another note yet another trip to Williamson brought some really fun bushwhacking as evidence by the willow shot below and the storm that rolled in as we crested the summit plateau also added to the ease of the 8k+ day Seriously though, some pretty perfect corn was still harvested even with the system coming in much earlier than initially forecasted for that far south on the Eastside, but if anyone's still thinking of trying to get on Willy this year just bring some serious patience and even a machete for the uber fun to be had at the bottom. It's always a fun adventure on Williamson, and right now the bottom is about as fun as it gets
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	thick willow.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	764.9 KB 
ID:	96518   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Jeff never stops training.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	575.9 KB 
ID:	96519   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	epic tree pitch.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	348.2 KB 
ID:	96520   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sick views from the ridge.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	455.7 KB 
ID:	96521  

Some nice stoke starting to fill this thread. Keep it up please, as I will have no eastside season this year, in what is looking like a good season for the eastside. Instead, I will live vicariously.

Have been living vicariously over here as well..thank you all for what's been a hugely inspiring thread over the last month or so. After this week, hopefully be posting back here with some stoke of our own..

Anyone looking for partners this week? Leaving Tahoe this morning - ready to camp, ready for the hideous wind today..hoping for some nice weather windows over the next few. It's two of us right now - aside from axes, crampons and ski crampons, neither are equipped for technical climbs, though we're both in great shape and are well traveled ski tourers. Anyway, we're hoping to tick off a number of classics, certainly open to suggestions as well, and would love to meet up if people are looking to get out. Will be checking email when we can so PM and we'll get sorted!

A couple kook skiers did Middle Palisade, Mt. Sill, and V-notch in the same day yesterday. I hear meth is a helluva drug.
    that is rad...I might have to get me some of that meth
    A good friend would come bail you out of jail. A great friend would be sitting next to you saying..."but damn that was FUN"

we're still workin on gateway drug usage...

Crest SLIDAZ hoo RIDAZ

So, I'm flying into Vegas for a wedding this weekend, and I'm sure to be pretty pressed on time. However, if I suck it up and pay for skis and wake up super early, do you think there might still be turns to be had at Ski LV or the surrounding BC? The bastards turned the webcam off to spite me.
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

We toured through the Hulk to The Cleaver Thurs-Sat, accumulations by Friday & Saturday meant significant sluff avalanches. Risky but beautiful powder conditions on wind protected slopes. Jah Blessed, Irie, and Splitfunk (middle of three chutes west of Hulk Chutes) were all soft and epic.
    Little sunshine was had. Sorry no good photos, I had a phone only. Partners will hopefully post shots later today.

I am not worthy.