Gauley Squirt Video

Not sure how many people on here are into squirt boating. I stopped a few years back but it was something I always enjoyed...just had to prioritize my limited days on the river now a days.

This video makes me regret selling my squirt boat..

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDGO7yv2taI"]YouTube - Halls of Karma Mystery Kayaking[/nomedia]

Still can't figure out how to embed videos!!!!

Edit: I did it...I can interwebz!!!

Last edited by pruitt; 09-30-2010 at 07:43 AM.

Wish i never sold mine too...

[just copy the youtube number, that's right after the = sign when you have it open. Then type, without the X [Xyoutube], paste that number in, then type, without the X, [X/youtube]. Its probably even easier using the tgr media upload system, i've not yet had time to check that out yet...]
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

Nice vid! I still have my Prijon 82 and the Vulcan but they get limited love anymore.

Thinking of trying it out

Awesome vid, my curiosity was peaked by squirt boating a few years ago when I read a magazie article about this very spot(halls of karma). Never thought about it much until my GF's brother picked up a dirt cheap kayak from a friend, turns out it's a squirt boat and he didn't even know. Now I've got a few years of whitewater in a playboat under my belt and he is willing to sell the boat as it doesn't fit him well. I think I'm gonna go for it, especially since he'll probably give it to me or a hundred bucks or so.

I'll try and get some pics of the boat and any info I can find on it or about it.

I have a few questions though, I imagine this thing will be fun to try and goof off with, but is it a whole different ballgame altogether or is it semi close to paddling a regular kayak just with less boyancy? I've got a jim snyder book I've been paging through to try and learn some of the moves. We might take it out and play with it sooner than later. Also is it super critical to have it formed to you like some of the newer models?? This one I'm looking at has not much shaping in the front, more just thin and flat, I'm really light and wondering how I'll be able to throw it around. I've paddled it once or twice but it was years ago before I had a confident roll so I wasn't really trying to play with it at all.

Anyway, end jong inquiry. Nice vid, here's a scuba one I found that gives a little different perspective.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/sUCGMHIwPiY?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/sUCGMHIwPiY?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

not sure how to embed?

I'll also post back in here if/when I get pics of the squirt boat or of us flopping it if we take it out.

When I see the words 'squirt video' posted on TGR, well, let's just say kayaks aren't what I think of.
    [quote][//quote]

PASKIINGSUCKS -

It's a much different feeling than normal kayaking. A much more fluid style that requires working with the water. You don't need much flow to have a real good time at first.

Not a big deal to have it form fitting. The lower the volume the easier it is to get down time and "screw around". The more volume the easier it is to river run. The form fitting look of the newer ones are just ways of getting less volume in a more comfortable boat. Depending on how it's cut it might be too much volume. You'll know when you get in it. You should be able to easily do a stern squirt in a calm pool with just a solid stroke

When I squirt boated I was always more of a destination squirter and spent most of my time trying to get down time....with the occasional screw ups and squirts. So my boat was pretty low volume. When I would do some river running it was fun because it was hard as shit but other than that not something I would do normally. I figure if I'm going down river I might as well be floating

You should be able to get a good idea if you enjoy it or not and then get a boat cut for your height and weight.

And if you have "the Squirt Book" by Jim Snyder.....that's got all of the important stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Dexter Rutecki View Post
    When I see the words 'squirt video' posted on TGR, well, let's just say kayaks aren't what I think of.
    I was thinking the same thing...

whoah, i can haz squirtboaterz?

NAFTA calls for both countries to reciprocate Cross-Border Trucking. Just when is cry baby Mexico going to permit US trucks in Mexico? Why has our own corrupted, non-representing government not mentioned anything about this?

Success

Picked up the squirt boat from my gf's brother about two days ago. Hope to get out and goof around on some flatwater this weekend. I also know a spot on a local large river with a huge eddyline, just not sure of the depth, so I doubt I'll take it there without first scouting it in a regular kayak.

Anyone know any boatmakers that would "sign" the boat with a painted hand print just inside the cockpit??

fyi, halls of karma is on the New, near the Gauley. Needs low water generally so a good Tues-Thurs option during Gauley season.

squirting's a great way to develop three-dimensional boat awareness/control, and be able to recover/role from just about any position.

And yes Snyder's first and second squirt books are good for anyone who wants more boat control, not just for glass.