Page 20 of 35 FirstFirst ... 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ... LastLast
    I am currently reading the Throne of Glass series. If you are into this type of thing I highly recommend.

Barbarian Days -- William Finnegan. Saw it's been recommended a bunch, but seriously good.

Thanks for the other suggestions.

Just got this, but I haven’t read it yet...

https://www.latimes.com/entertainmen...uining-wyoming
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Quote Originally Posted by ah81 View Post
    Barbarian Days -- William Finnegan. Saw it's been recommended a bunch, but seriously good.

Thanks for the other suggestions.
    Yeah, I’m also reading this now. It’s very good. Not just about surf, more about growing up in the 60’s and 70’s. Thanks for the heads up, y’all.
    crab in my shoe mouth

If you dig fantasy in the vein of AMERICAN GODS or THE SOMNAMBULIST, the Peter Clime's 2017 novel PARADOX BOUND is a fun read that turns the time-honored road trip trope into a fun alternate history romp.

RIYL
    American Gods; The Somnambulist; The Matrix; National Treasure
    "Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

https://www.blizzard-tecnica.com/us/en

Just ripped through UNDERGROUND AIRLINES by Ben H. Winters.
    It is an alternate history yarn mixed with secret government agent thriller. Fast paced with strong characters and quite a bit of overt socio-political subtext.

RIYL
    The Man In The High Castle; Two Trains Running; The Bone Labyrinth

Quote Originally Posted by bobz View Post
    I'm about 9/10 of the way through Neal Stephenson's latest, Fall. I'll say more when I wrap it up, but let's just say that I'm probably not going to recommend it all that highly. Started good; the first 1/3 seemed like a great set-up and had some great characters and plot-diversions (summary: billionaires initiate a project where their brains are to be preserved after death as neural network data, which leads to a widespread business where dead people get to live another life, or lives, within a vast quantum computing simulation).

The second half (which, key factor, is as long as a more typical whole novel) settles into extended meandering accounts of life in bitworld. At some point, I said, "ah, where he's going with this is that life after death will suck, mainly because humans will just bring along with them all the worst aspects of collectivized human nature"... but then he backed off on the dystopian power struggles, and now I'm not sure where it's headed. More later!
    Finally finished it. Pretty rare for the last 10% of a novel to be that much of a slog. Okay, the last two (short) chapters were pretty good; not a smashing ending, but it worked well enough.

I think one big problem with Fall (and I never thought I’d say this about a Neal Stephenson book) is that it’s insufficiently imaginative. A digital new world follows the meatspace world prototype so closely that it contains early characters actually named Adam and Eve. The later bitworld sagas, when isolated from the fact that they’re set in a digital simulation, only barely qualify as science fiction or fantasy; they’re just quasi-biblical dramas in which certain characters have supernatural powers or quirks.

So, skip Fall. There are some excellent Stephenson books, and the earliest ones are the most fun.

The End Is Always Near...Apocalyptic moments from the Bronze Age collapse to nuclear near misses..by Can Carlin.
    what's so funny about peace, love, and understanding?

Just started “Where the crawdads sing” by Delia Owens...the writer’s voice has got me sucked in so far...

Ebooks, for the win, with the library sys closed

If it hasn’t been mentioned, I’m enjoying “A Gentleman in Moscow” by Amor Towles.

His other book “Rules of Civility” is supposedly good as well, but I haven’t gotten to it yet.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums
    It makes perfect sense...until you think about it.

I suspect there's logic behind the madness, but I'm too dumb to see it.

Quote Originally Posted by ::: ::: View Post
    Ebooks, for the win, with the library sys closed
    OK Boomer!

I just starter a good memoir called "Songs Only You Know" by Sean Madigan Hoen. Great read so far. https://www.amazon.com/Songs-Only-Yo...4813528&sr=8-1

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    Has anyone read The Terror by Dan Simmons? This one has been on my list for many years, but I just finally started it. I'm probably only about 50 pages in so far (and it's something like 800 pages), but I think it's going to be really good. It's historical fiction based on Sir John Franklin's ill-fated Arctic expedition in the mid 1800s with a supernatural element thrown in.
    By the way, can't really say I'd recommend The Terror. I never wanted to quit reading it, but can't say it kept me up late at night, either.

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    By the way, can't really say I'd recommend The Terror. I never wanted to quit reading it, but can't say it kept me up late at night, either.

His novels The Song of Kali and Carrion Comfort sound most intriguing...

I'm reading Long Road To Mercy by David Baldacci. It is good
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Thanks I will read

"Station Eleven" by Emily St. John Mandel is a pretty good post-apocalyptic novel for those looking for that kind of uplifting stuff right now.

Just finished The Wives by Tarryn Fisher. Quick read, pretty good psychological thriller.

The Screwtape Letters

The Screwtape Letters is a Christian apologetic novel by C. S. Lewis, a great book. I strongly recommend it. If you read it, please give me your feedback

Quote Originally Posted by SheriGoddart85 View Post
    The Screwtape Letters is a Christian apologetic novel by C. S. Lewis, a great book. I strongly recommend it. If you read it, please give me your feedback
    JFC, go away.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Listicles be abounding in this time of CovidSIPing...

Wired's Best Sci-fi List:

https://www.wired.co.uk/article/best-sci-fi-books

I have only read 2 of the 21 listed...

That's a good list, aside from Jurassic Park. I've read 15.

Quote Originally Posted by teledad View Post
    Got any suggestions for where to start? I'm not a huge sci-fi reader, but I've read five on that list (JP, Frankenstein, The Martian, Neuromancer, Dune).

Quote Originally Posted by teledad View Post
    Only 5.
    But there’s a lot of recent books from the last ten years. Will check some of the newer ones
    But They missed a lot of classics.
    . . .

Start with Foundation; an absolute masterpiece.

It misses a lot of classics, but it's a good sampling of different types of SF and provides a jumping off point for readers. I would have probably added Fahrenheit 451, 1984, A Canticle for Leibowitz, The Forever War, and Ender's Game (but then would have had to figure out what to drop).

Agree on Foundation. If you like it, read The Moon Is a Harsh Mistress and The Three-Body Problem. If you liked Neuromancer better, read Snow Crash.