Page 1 of 35 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Time for a new book - any suggestions?

Just finished reading "God, Guns and Rock n Roll" from Ted Nugent. That was entertaining. In the middle of a book about living in the woods of Maine for a year that's kinda boring. Also just finished Robert Parker's final Jesse Stone novel. I'm considering Vince Neil's new book about Motley Crue but leaning towards something about living in the mountains. Basically, I don't have a clue. As long as it's not political or some kind of fantasy novel. Or a self help book. Or a love story.

That's a tall order Nordberg, you're going to have to give me a couple days on that one.

Anyone have any suggestions?
    People shooting ski areas should be sued.

In search of Captain Zero, by AC Weisbecker. True story about a guy who says fuck it, sells the house on Long Island, packs up the truck and dog and goes surfing all the way down the Pacific to Central America. This is my all time favorite book, and not many have heard of it.

Quote Originally Posted by iamTRuTH View Post
    In search of Captain Zero, by AC Weisbecker. True story about a guy who says fuck it, sells the house on Long Island, packs up the truck and dog and goes surfing all the way down the Pacific to Central America. This is my all time favorite book, and not many have heard of it.
    And of his exploits as a pot smuggler. This made the book entertaining but in my opinion took away from it a bit. Example: What I first remember is the description of shoveling 100lbs of shake from the deck of his boat, followed by the description of his longest nose-ride...

Quote Originally Posted by CouchSkiing View Post
    And of his exploits as a pot smuggler. This made the book entertaining but in my opinion took away from it a bit. Example: What I first remember is the description of shoveling 100lbs of shake from the deck of his boat, followed by the description of his longest nose-ride...
    That was one of the things I enjoyed, he told his random stories in random places.

Great book - it's been on my shelf for four years.

Fiction recs:

The Signal - Ron Carlson
    good outdoor action yarn. Carlson is a really tight short story writer for the most part, but this novel is an entertaining and engaging read

When The Women Come Out To Dance - Elmore Leonard
    A short story collection by Leonard where women are the main characters. But they are bad-ass femme fatales. Contains the short story "Fire in the Hole", which was the basis for Justified, that FX series with Timothy Olyphant.
    "Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

https://www.blizzard-tecnica.com/us/en

I just read and enjoyed Zeitoun, by Dave Eggers.

couple random reccomendations. i just finished reading, and thoroughly enjoyed, these two books:

and

Thanks for the suggestions - just bought the Carlson book and the Hemmingway book for the iPad. Starting with Carlson. So far so good.

awesome mountain lifestyle book. I throughly enjoyed this one while I was living in the sierras

also if for some reason you have not read the monkey wrench gang I'd say drop whatever you are reading and pick that up
    Carry on my wayward son...

The Big Short by Michael Lewis. Riveting.

The land of Genesee Cream Ale and homemade pierogies!
    > ... but leaning towards something about living in the mountains. Basically, I don't have a clue. As long as it's not political or some kind of fantasy novel. Or a ....

A Sand County Almanac, Aldo Leopold. An oldie but goodie.

Quote Originally Posted by JMO View Post
    Just finished reading "God, Guns and Rock n Roll" from Ted Nugent. That was entertaining. In the middle of a book about living in the woods of Maine for a year that's kinda boring. Also just finished Robert Parker's final Jesse Stone novel. I'm considering Vince Neil's new book about Motley Crue but leaning towards something about living in the mountains. Basically, I don't have a clue. As long as it's not political or some kind of fantasy novel. Or a self help book. Or a love story.

That's a tall order Nordberg, you're going to have to give me a couple days on that one.

Anyone have any suggestions?
    i think anthony kiedis bio "scar tissue " was a good read
    what's so funny about peace, love, and understanding?

The Meadow, James Galvin. Good prose, mountain setting, cool history in the background

Thanks for the sharing of such information we will pass it on to our readers
    And it have so many valuable things to learn.
    First Edition Book
    Thank you for your sharing!

Quote Originally Posted by huckster989 View Post
    awesome mountain lifestyle book. I throughly enjoyed this one while I was living in the sierras

also if for some reason you have not read the monkey wrench gang I'd say drop whatever you are reading and pick that up
    x2. Great book.

Let the Great World Spin by Collum McCann was suprisingly good.

I just read, and enjoyed, Super Sad True Love Story by Gary Shteyngart.

maybe.... Ceremony by Leslie Marmon Silko

I'll suggest The Gnoll Credo. Written by a maggot, but even if not, i'd probably suggest it.

It isnt the some lord fo the rings type shit, its use of animal like creatures is more akin to animal farm.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ________________
    "We don't need predator control, we need whiner control. Anyone who complains that "the gummint oughta do sumpin" about the wolves and coyotes should be darted, caged, and released in a more suitable habitat for them, like the middle of Manhattan." - Spats

"I'm constantly doing things I can't do. Thats how I get to do them." - Pablo Picasso

Cisco and his wife are fragile idiots who breed morons.

best book i know of is Charlie Wilsons War- by Crile -prob the best book i ever read
    Rigged by ben mezrich(spelling) is dope too
    Eiger Dreams by Krakuer is awesome collection of shorts- all adventure related

i like the sounds of captain zero
    Zone Controller

"He wants to be a pro, bro, not some schmuck." - Hugh Conway

"DigitalDeath would kick my ass. He has the reach of a polar bear." - Crass3000

Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I'll suggest The Gnoll Credo. Written by a maggot, but even if not, i'd probably suggest it.

It isnt the some lord fo the rings type shit, its use of animal like creatures is more akin to animal farm.
    Thanks for the plug You can download the first 20 pages for free at:
    http://www.thegnollcredo.com
    which also links to several excellent reviews, my publisher's website, places that sell it, etc.

I'd suggest any of the Gabriel Allon series by Daniel Silva. Intelligent spy fiction about an Israeli spy. Much better and more intelligent than the average spy fiction, IMO. (But it's still not "deep" by any means.) If you want something classic, Dostoevsky is awesome (doubt this is what you're looking for, but thought I'd toss it out there).

Also: Kiss or Kill by Mark Twight, if you're looking for something about the mountains. It's better than alot of other "adventure" style books I've read. (Can't comment on The Last Season yet - it's on my desk waiting to be read.)

Not to bump super old posts but I'm about to finish Brian Greene's "The Fabric of the Cosmos" and it's great! While definitely not light reading, he explains some difficult physics and quantum concepts using analogies such as the Simpsons and other practical, real world examples. Check it out here: [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Fabric-Cosmos-Space-Texture-Reality/dp/0375727205/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1290084308&sr=8-1"]Amazon.com: The Fabric of the Cosmos: Space, Time, and the Texture of Reality (9780375727207): Brian Greene: Books: Reviews, Prices & more[/ame]

After I finish Greene's book I'm going to start on "Islands in the Stream" based on the recommendation in this thread: thanks!

only partway through Where Men Win Glory by Krakauer. The story is about Pat Tillman who quits the NFL to go fight in Afghanistan, but also about that area of the world and how it's got to be the way it is. My mind was blown by the end of the second chapter and it just keeps getting better.