Page 29 of 35 FirstFirst ... 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyoverland Captive View Post
    Songlines is good, but it was marketed as a travelogue/non-fiction. Bruce had it remarketed as fiction at some point, apparently after getting called out on some of the fantastic claims.
    I knew about the fiction/nonfiction question or discussion or whatever, but still most of it rang pretty true. But he's in the middle of the Outback in the book, Arkady left him behind, he turns to his notebooks and all of a sudden it's a different book that I don't like as much.

DRAGON TEETH - Michael Crichton
    I ripped through this rousing bit of historical fiction in a day.
    Essentially a dime store western with elements of paleontology tossed in for good measure.
    Crichton's prose is easy going and the pacing is swift, all augmented by colorful characters both real and imagined.

RIYL
    The early western storeis of Elmore Leonard; The western novels of Louis L'amour; Pirate Latitudes
    "Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

https://www.blizzard-tecnica.com/us/en

^that’s funny- I read Dragon Teeth in a day too. Really enjoyed it.
    I described it to my husband as a “man’s beach read” so I bet you guys will like it too
    skid luxury

A Confderacy of Dunces has been gathering dust in my bookshelf for at least 2 decades.
    Might be high time to dig into it...

https://www.newyorker.com/books/seco...60svUMqOA6GAVs

Quote Originally Posted by dookeyXXX View Post
    A Confderacy of Dunces has been gathering dust in my bookshelf for at least 2 decades.
    Might be high time to dig into it...
    Definitely. Hilarious and incredibly unique.

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post

"There Is Nothing for You Here: Finding Opportunity in the Twenty-first Century", - Fiona Hill.

Really fantastic personal synopsis of impacts of the post industrial slump across Russia, the UK and America. Etches commonalities across different cultures. politics and economic structures, teasing out the shared threads of populism and the heeling over slide towards authoritarianism. Well written, funny in parts, scathing in others, brutal evisceration of sexism, classism and the layers of western castes. OK, the middle gets boggy with data.

I'd love to see her compare notes and observations with J.D. Vance who seems to either have drawn orthogonal conclusions relative to her observations or decided to take advantage of them.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

If you like Dunces, check out “The Fan Man” by Kotzwinckle.

Bomb is a great read: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/13170021-bomb

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk
    I love my family. Kids are the best.
    http://www.praxisskis.com

Quote Originally Posted by Flyoverland Captive View Post
    If you like Dunces, check out “The Fan Man” by Kotzwinckle.
    The Fan Man is great, as are some of the other Kotzwinkle novels I have read-- The Game of Thirty, The Bear Went Over The Mountain...

Dude's bibliography is incredibly (perhaps even bizarrely) diverse.
    He wrote the novelization of E.T. and has written quite a lot of children's lit, too, including Walter The Farting Dog .

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Kotzwinkle

BTW, his newest novel, Felonious Monk, from the reviews I quickly glanced at, sounds great. It was released last year.
    Last edited by dookeyXXX; 04-05-2022 at 09:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by buildakicker View Post
    Speaking of the atomic bomb, I've been reading The Last Ship by William Brinkley. Basically it tells the story of a guided-missile destroyer that receives orders to launch nuclear-tipped missiles at the Soviet Union and what happens afterward (spoiler: most of the world is rendered uninhabitable). I almost quit reading after 100 or so pages because the writing style is so unbelievably wordy to be annoying, but he sucked me in. I'm about 2/3 through it now and it's difficult to put down. It's a very compelling story despite the faults. The book came out in 1988, so you might think it would read like a Tom Clancy novel, but other than the military setting it's completely different. It's really focused on the leadership choices required to be the captain of a ship and the consequences of those choices. And, of course, the potential consequences of nuclear weapons.

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    "There Is Nothing for You Here: Finding Opportunity in the Twenty-first Century", - Fiona Hill.

Really fantastic personal synopsis of impacts of the post industrial slump across Russia, the UK and America. Etches commonalities across different cultures. politics and economic structures, teasing out the shared threads of populism and the heeling over slide towards authoritarianism. Well written, funny in parts, scathing in others, brutal evisceration of sexism, classism and the layers of western castes. OK, the middle gets boggy with data.

I'd love to see her compare notes and observations with J.D. Vance who seems to either have drawn orthogonal conclusions relative to her observations or decided to take advantage of them.
    jdvAnce is a scam. A taint snorting Ivy League asshole who did Benny profane parachutes into real America

Quote Originally Posted by dunfree View Post
    jdvAnce is a scam. A taint snorting Ivy League asshole who did Benny profane parachutes into real America
    That's an awful oversimplification of where he came from, similar to Hill's background. How did they end up so opposed?
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Quote Originally Posted by basinbeater View Post
    My favorite book of the last 20 years is, Into the Heart of the Sea. Basically the true story of the Essex based on officer logs, and the science of food and water deprivation. The Essex is the whaling ship that was rammed by a whale in the pacific, and became the basis of Moby dick. Excellent read.
    I am currently reading paper books again, been a few years. Reread the foundation trilogy. Now I'm abot halfway into the three body problem trilogy. I liked the first book, the three body problem. Very well written, i knocked it off in a day and a half, so yeah, i was hooked. Very creative sci fi story line. I am now more than halfway done with the second book, the dark forest. Also excellent so far. I keep staying up too late reading. Happy to have that problem again.
    Attachment 401752

Sent from my SM-G960U using TGR Forums mobile app
    I’m loving Three Body. It’s so layered, picturing the 30 million person ‘computer’, is bending my mind. Almost done with it, just ordered Dark Forest, thanks for the recommendation. These last few chapters are flying by.
    crab in my shoe mouth

Yeah, good stuff! I liked dark forest even better.
    sigless.

I’m reading Dark Forest now, I agree it’s even better. Different translator on this book, an American guy not a Chinese translator. It just seems to flow easier for some reason
    crab in my shoe mouth

My latest haul:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0026.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	2.08 MB 
ID:	413223

Timothy Snyder's "On Tyranny" is a pretty quick read, largely because he stays on point.

I could quibble about the specificity in his most recent examples, but having been updated in 2021 it's echoing pretty well now, so I think that's a point to Snyder. The graphic additions sometimes make it odd to find the next word, but it's fine. Good stuff, will read again.

Any recommendations for a leadership related book? Yes it’s for a training. I realize it’s all the same repackaged ideas, so something enlightening and grounded in science would be interesting.

Im thinking Thinking Fast and Slow might be one, but maybe long and dense for the timeframe I’m on.

This one didn’t suck too bad. Actually helpful in many areas.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1651059612.141399.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	171.7 KB 
ID:	414537

I was waiting for a couple holds from the library, so decided to finally read The Da Vinci Code while I was waiting. God, it's hokey. I can't tell if Dan Brown thought the big reveal of the "secret password" was supposed to make us all say "Of course! Why didn't I think of that?" or make us internally yell at the supposed 'expert' characters who were so stumped by it for so long, but it was definitely the latter for me.

Anyway, it is mildly entertaining for all its faults.

On the last chapter of American Dirt what a story. Starts with a scene straight outta hell and never lets up. Highly Recommended and fuck the controversy over the color of who wrote it. It's just a damn good bit of fiction pulled straight from the headlines.
    "Can't you see..."

Quote Originally Posted by Marshall Tucker View Post
    On the last chapter of American Dirt what a story. Starts with a scene straight outta hell and never lets up. Highly Recommended and fuck the controversy over the color of who wrote it. It's just a damn good bit of fiction pulled straight from the headlines.
    Just got that out of the library, looking forward to it.

Recently finished The Vanishing Half by Brit Bennett. Interesting novel about black people "passing" for white. I only read it bc somebody gave a copy to my wife. It wasn't a waste of time.

I was waiting for a couple holds from the library, so decided to finally read The Da Vinci Code while I was waiting. God, it's hokey. I can't tell if Dan Brown thought the big reveal of the "secret password" was supposed to make us all say "Of course! Why didn't I think of that?" or make us internally yell at the supposed 'expert' characters who were so stumped by it for so long, but it was definitely the latter for me.

Anyway, it is mildly entertaining for all its faults.

have you ever read “the name of the rose” by umberto eco? Better.

tdc was the end of the airport thriller novel buy

88 Names - Matt Ruff
    Sadly, it's not as distinctive in voice as either Bad Monkeys or Lovecraft Country. And, despite being unable to shake the spectre of Ready Player One and borrowing elements of the films Dreamscape and The Game (amongst other fairly obvious influences; often times it feels like a Mission: Impossible storyline), this is still a fun read (I knocked it out in a day).