Page 24 of 35 FirstFirst ... 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyoverland Captive View Post
    “Metazoa” by Godfrey-Smith is pretty good so far. His last book, “Other Minds” was very good.
    Other Minds was good.

I’m currently reading Under Land by Robert MacFarlane, and enjoying it. Next up is Kindred. And I got a big stack of whiskey books for Christmas.

Quote Originally Posted by dookey67 View Post
    Cannot find Coup de Torchon streaming anywhere and it is not available via NF DVD, either.
    https://www.criterionchannel.com/videos/coup-de-torchon

Back on topic, this is a good read...

Name:  Alone - Byrd.jpg
Views: 692
Size:  25.9 KB

Gripping account of survival. Self-inflicted ordeal, but then isn't that often the case?
    Last edited by fomofo; 01-08-2021 at 02:03 PM.

I just heard an interview with Dan Egan, and he just published a book about his life up to this point by the title of Thirty Years In A White Haze. Not available on Amazon, but on Egan's website and a few other. Sounds interesting. I think he was inspired by Warren Miller to dig deep. He almost died in an expedition on a mountain by the Black Sea, forget the name, in 1990, but about 14 others didnt make it. I never heard of that incident before.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    I just heard an interview with Dan Egan, and he just published a book about his life up to this point by the title of Thirty Years In A White Haze. Not available on Amazon, but on Egan's website and a few other. Sounds interesting. I think he was inspired by Warren Miller to dig deep. He almost died in an expedition on a mountain by the Black Sea, forget the name, in 1990, but about 14 others didnt make it. I never heard of that incident before.
    I think John might have better tales, but doubtful it's going in a book.
    "The Soul of an Octopus" by Sy Montgomery is the next read. Just got it .
    after seeing that movie on netflix, hard to resist
    Bacon tastes good. Pork chops taste goood.

Quote Originally Posted by willywhit View Post
    I think John might have better tales, but doubtful it's going in a book.
    "The Soul of an Octopus" by Sy Montgomery is the next read. Just got it .
    after seeing that movie on netflix, hard to resist
    It’s pretty good. My lady got on an octopus kick, and I read it after her.

I really dug Hawke's debut novel, The Hottest State and his new one sounds intriguing...

https://amp.theguardian.com/books/20...male-sexuality
    "Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

https://www.blizzard-tecnica.com/us/en

Time for a new book - any suggestions?

3 Day Road and Through the Black Spruce by Joseph Boyden, both great books.
    Ordinary Wolves by Seth Kantner
    Last edited by Joey Joe Joe Junior Shabadoo; 02-05-2021 at 05:51 PM.
    "They don't think it be like it is, but it do."

Quote Originally Posted by Stu Gotz View Post
    Piranesi by Susanna Clarke (who wrote Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell). Like reading a jigsaw puzzle.
    Quote Originally Posted by tgapp View Post
    just finished Piranesi. i thought it was incredible. the parallels to House of Leaves are striking - if you like Piranesi and enjoy horror, you should read HoL.
    Interesting that I happened to stumble across the aforementioned books last week, including The Overstory!
    Total random chain of events, now started to re-read this thread and bumped in the titles.
    Books ordered, really looking forward to spend time some quality time with them.

Nothing to add here to the reading list at the moment, feeling awkward to add the current readings due to bad optics...

The floggings will continue until morale improves.

Couldn't recommend Tree of Smoke by Denis Johnson more. Come for the deep dive into CIA psych ops in Vietnam, stay for the uncanny observational ability and clear prose style of Johnson. 600 pages or so that reads like 400. Dark, a little religious, big scale.

Quote Originally Posted by jcoyne14 View Post
    Denis Johnson
    Train Dreams is a good one by him, early 20th century inland NW tale
    Last edited by detuned; 02-12-2021 at 12:49 AM.

Nathaniel Philbrick'sIn the Heart of the Sea, was mentioned, but I'd also recommend Sea of Glory if you're into maritime narrative history. Empire of Blue Water by Steven Talty is fantastic, too.

Probably in that same vein of exploring times and places I wish I knew more about (at least more than just dates and events), I recently finished Wallace Stegner's The Big Rock Candy Mountain. It's realistic fiction, but the focus on a family's life in the northern, western US and CA in the early 20th century was really interesting. Like a northerly Grapes of Wrath.

Watership Down by Richard Adams

not new but very good

^^^
    One of my all time favorites.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

I'm reading a good one right now: Fools Crow by James Welch. Written in 1986. It's a novel about the Blackfeet Indians just after the Civil War as their traditional way of life is being upended by the increasing presence of white settlers.

Apeirogon by Colum McCan. After too many duds in a row, I was starting to lose faith in the power of the novel, but this is a masterpiece of form and impact.

I’m really enjoying this.

Anxious People, by Fredrik Backman
    It's about a bank robbery gone wrong, but it's really about anxiety & family.

Beowulf, A New Translation, Maria Dahvana Headley
    It's Beowulf with some "Bro" thrown in...enjoyable if you're a Lit nerd & remember the first time you read it in school, but not earth-shatteringly compelling.

The New Wilderness, Diane Cook
    Post apocalyptic earth, family goes to the wilderness preserve to live off the land in a time when few remember just being outside.

The Space Between Worlds, Micaiah Johnson
    A woman travels between parallel worlds experiencing the differential in service to a corporation that holds the key to security in her current world.

Daylight by David Baldacci

The new Atlee Pine book
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

The Adventurer's Son by Roman Dial

Roman Dial has been around in the climbing/adventure community for decades. He raised his kids that way too. When his son goes missing in Costa Rica, he finds himself on a mission to find his son and deal with the guilt of wondering if what happened to his son was the result of a childhood spent adventuring in the far corners of the world. Pretty riveting story.

Just started Bill Bryson's The Body. If you enjoy his other writing you will undoubtedly enjoy this one, too. He keeps the pace moving and always comes up with interesting stories and facts along the way.

Really enjoying Shuggie Bain.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

This story popped up in my news feed this morning:

https://amp.wbur.org/hereandnow/2021...like-lightning

Had no idea that David Duchovny has written several novels.
    Poked around the webz and they all seem interesting.
    May have to pick one up...

A Short History of Nearly a Everything - Bill Bryson

A Short History of Nearly Everything - Bill Bryson

I just finished two solid noirs:

More Better Deals - Joe R. Lansdale
    Mojo Joe delivers one of his tautist efforts in years, spinning a classic noir influenced tale of greed and Lost, bubbling with some interesting racial and social elements (it takes place in Texas in the '60s)

The Big Sleep - Raymond Chandler
    Quite possibly the man who, if not invented, surely perfected the modern noir as we know it.
    Teeming with hardboiled theatrics, lascivious dames, and dimwitted thugs, this is a classic tale of greed and debauchery. Chandler may just be the undisputed king of simile, too.