Page 30 of 35 FirstFirst ... 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 LastLast
    Red November.

Fantastic book on the Cuban Missile Crisis and all the stuff you didn't know because it was classified until around 2006. Basically, you knew there were fingers on buttons but the nuke carrying Russian subs (four of them) that we couldn't track and that were parked around Cuba and Maryland with no way to comminicate to Moscow sure added an interesting twist. Turns out the heros of the Cuban Missile Crisis were actually four Soviet boomer captains.

Red November is a great book for history buffs or anyone who wants to crap their pants .
    "All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."

The Quiet Boy - Ben H. Winters
    This is a slow-burn mash-up of courtroom/legal procedural, mystery/detective fiction, and supernatural/cult thriller, with a little bit of romance and family bonding tossed in for good measure.
    Slightly more mellow in style than Winter's two previous novels, Golden State and Underground Airlines, but no less engaging.

RIYL
    As She Climbed Across The Table - Jonathan Letham
    The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay - Michael Chabon
    Last edited by dookeyXXX; 06-14-2022 at 02:50 PM.
    "Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

https://www.blizzard-tecnica.com/us/en

Coupla graphic novels to recommend:

Name:  476899._SY475_.jpg
Views: 441
Size:  15.5 KB
    Bryan Talbot's detailed art makes this modern fable, which mixes up Beatrix Potter mythology and real life trauma, an engaging effort.

Name:  395006.jpg
Views: 438
Size:  93.6 KB
    Paul Pope's style is like a cross between Goya and Bakshi.
    This particular tale mixes some Blade Runner-styled futurism with a storyline following the intersecting lives of three couples.

Quote Originally Posted by ::: ::: View Post
    I just finished Whitehead’s Harlem Shuffle
    Def worth a read
    Gonna start McBride’s Deacon King Kong next
    +1. Just finished Harlem Shuffle. Sometimes uber-hyped writers disappoint, but Colson Whitehead is the real deal. I was impressed with his writing style and deft observations. Plus just the whole 1960s Harlem setting was interestingly crafted. Definitely going to read something else by him.

THE MANY DEATHS OF LAILA STARR
    So author Ram V popped up on my radar earlier this year. I tracked down this series last week and devoured all 5 issues today. I don't wish to be premature, but I might be a Ram V convert/fanboy.
    The art supplied by Filipe Andrade is visually arresting and Ines Amaro's palette is stunning.
    This is a wonderful meditation on life, death, and fate rendered in richly muted pastels and deceptively detailed sinewy art.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ManyDeathsLailaStarr_001_Cover_Main_PROMO-1-scaled.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	1.44 MB 
ID:	423877

Gnostic Gospels by Elaine Pagels.

Absolutely fascinating look at the scrolls unearthed near Nag Hammadi in Egypt.

Plot twist: Jesus wasn’t physically crucified, the Orthodox Churches is a political hydra and martyrs are idiots. Oh, and it turns out Jesus respected women as equals, if not as closer to God.

In all seriousness, a great book looking at relatively recently unearthed gospels that portray a different New Testament that closer resembles Buddhism. Less fire and brimstone, more logical, universal energy. Some of the gospels predate Mark, meaning they were written closer to Jeebus actual lifetime.

Really interesting stuff for anyone raised in or around the orthodox churches of Catholics, Presbyterian, Episcopal, etc.
    "All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."

LESS THAN ZERO
    Re-read this for the first time since 1988 when it was part of the curriculum for a Modern Romance lit course in college.
    This book is brilliant, operating on so many different levels—satire, horror, ennui, melodrama, coming-of-age. It’s funny, sad, sickening, detached, and just as relevant today as it was in the late ‘80s.
    About to re-watch the film and then read the sequel, Imperial Bedrooms.

I've been enjoying The Thousand Crimes of Ming Tsu by Tom Lin recently. It's an interesting take on a modern, violent western with some supernatural elements to the story.

Sent from my Pixel 5a using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by dookeyXXX View Post
    LESS THAN ZERO
    Re-read this for the first time since 1988 when it was part of the curriculum for a Modern Romance lit course in college.
    This book is brilliant, operating on so many different levels—satire, horror, ennui, melodrama, coming-of-age. It’s funny, sad, sickening, detached, and just as relevant today as it was in the late ‘80s.
    About to re-watch the film and then read the sequel, Imperial Bedrooms.
    I'm a BEE fan and liked Imperial Bedrooms. It's a couple notches gnarlier than Less Than Zero.

Just finished Stephen King's Bill Hodges trilogy (Mr. Mercedes, Finders Keepers, End of Watch). Outstanding. Probably said it before but King is a national treasure. The audiobooks read by Will Patton are excellent.

Quote Originally Posted by Sirshredalot View Post
    I've been enjoying The Thousand Crimes of Ming Tsu by Tom Lin recently. It's an interesting take on a modern, violent western with some supernatural elements to the story.

Sent from my Pixel 5a using Tapatalk
    Flash skimmed the NPR review. This book sounds awesome.
    Thanks for putting it on my radar.

Quote Originally Posted by yeahman View Post
    I'm a BEE fan and liked Imperial Bedrooms. It's a couple notches gnarlier than Less Than Zero.
    I, too, dig BEE.
    Rules of Attraction is perhaps my favorite of his.
    Recall digging American Psycho when I read it back in 1991.
    Enjoyed Glamorama, too.
    About to watch the film…

IMPERIAL BEDROOMS - Bret Easton Ellis
    This 25 years later sequel to Less Than Zero ditches the diary-styled prose of the original for a very Raymond Chandler-esque neon noir (BEE even quotes Chandler in the Epigraph).
    While the ending is a little murky and a tad anticlimactic, everything leading up to it is an engaging and slightly twisted mystery filled with horrible people backstabbing one another in richly demented and psychologically thrilling soap opera intensity.
    At 165 pages, it’s short and sharp (I read it in about 6 hours give or take).
    It’s a nice and intriguingly captivating coda to both Less Than Zero the novel and Less Than Zero the film.
    Though, like the film, it really doesn’t have much in common with the original novel other than the characters having the same names and could very easily have been a stand-alone story (in some ways it feels like it is capitalizing on the success of the original novel, much in the same way the film did).
    Despite this, it’s a fast and immersively thrilling read.
    Last edited by dookeyXXX; 09-06-2022 at 07:28 PM.

Die! Die! Die!
    Written by Robert Kirkman (The Walking Dead) and lavishly illustrated by Chris Burnham, this series is a gonzo mash-up of sci-fi, conspiracy theories, and mad assassin fueled espionage.
    Burnham art is deliciously intricate and has elements of Sergio Aragones, Frank Quitely, John Romita, Jr., amongst others, all combined to create his own kinetic style.
    And the story? Crazy, over-the-top and off-the-nuts ultra violence and backstabbing soap opera melodrama to the hilt.

RIYL
    Kick Ass; The Boys; Frank Miller era Daredevil

Name:  die-die-die-vol-1-tp_882b2e7338.jpg
Views: 344
Size:  101.2 KB

Name:  IMG_0076.jpg
Views: 337
Size:  157.5 KB

Just polished off this entertaining little ditty.
    Picked it up a few weeks ago at the local used bookstore.
    Hadn’t even known about it (published in 2020).
    It’s basically a “found footage” horror story teeming with obvious, but still cool, social commentary that's squarely aimed at Tech Bro Culture.
    It definitely takes a few cues from George Romero’s Night of the Living Dead, too, but tweaks 'em nicely.
    If you read Brooks’s World War Z and enjoyed it, chances are you’ll enjoy this, too.

I started reading Parable of the Sower last month. It really got into my head and I have put it down about half way through. Butler’s vision of today felt a little too close to reality in an unpleasant way. Never experienced that before in a novel.

I was recently asked to recommend a funny book, and an old favorite came to mind - Fup, by Jim Dodge. Well written, hilarious, poignant, and pretty insightful. It’s short, but a total gem - one of my all-time favorites. Check it out.

The Wind-Up Bird Chronicles. Haruki Murasaki.

The only Japanese author I think I've read. But his ability to weave multiple story lines into one mind-fuck is gripping. I couldn't put it down and read it in a few days. Then bought another of his which I'm starting now. Norwegian Wood. Apparently IQ84 is his most famous, though.

Nightmare Alley - William Lindsay Gresham

IQ84 is sitting on my side table waiting for me to start it.
    sigless.

Quote Originally Posted by basinbeater View Post
    IQ84 is sitting on my side table waiting for me to start it.
    This is literally in bed next to me.

Murakami is interesting, and 1q84 is a fascinating read, but not an easy one. It drags a bit since it's essentially three books, but I still recommend it all the time.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

buddy has an interesting take on murakami boils down to: everyone loves him, he's getting old and is going to stop writing/die so i'll wait till he's done then have all his books to look forward to. and they won't have anything additional to read
    can't say i agree, but i understand the premise, if only marginally
    wish i read japanese and not the butchered versions

i went out to sea for 7 mo in '99 asked a book nerd friend for recommendations since I would usually read 3 books at a time out there.
    recommended murakami a wild sheep chase with the comment "if you know what its about at the end let me know"
    umberto echo il nome della rosa " if you get more than halfway through i'll buy you a beer"
    and probably 10 others i can't recall
    read dance, dance, dance after and called him with claims of somewhat understanding a wild sheep chase because of it

the overstory - richard powers, was alright for more contemporary work

Cloud Cuckoo Land by Anthony Doerr

Sands Of Time by Sean Morton

I rarely read books and absolutely loved it!
    If these ever gets made into movies or mini series, it'd be tremendous!

https://www.strangeuniverseradio.com...of-time-book-1
    "The mind, once expanded to the dimensions of larger ideas, never returns to its original size."

Caveat: I've always, always been a fan of John Irving.

I'm about 25% done "The Last Chairlift" and it's vintage amazing Irving. If you like his stuff (like 43.8 million other earth dwellers), you'll like this one.
    “I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut, A Man Without a Country

www.mymountaincoop.ca

This is OUR mountain - come join us!

"Red Notice" By Bill Browder detailing the corruption in post Glasnost Russia that lead to the death of Sergei Magnitsky and the Magnitsky act. Surprisingly riveting.
    "The Whiskey Robber" - A real story about a hockey player behind the Iron Curtain who robs to make ends meet. A bureaucratic farce.
    "A Small Death in a Great Glen" - Engaging but sort of formulaic murder whodunnit.
    "Mindf*ck" - Detailed recount of Cambridge Analytica, Facebook, right wing American politics, and Putin era psyops.
    "Empty Mansions" - story about America's most reclusive golden age debutante and family and it's demise.
    "The Invisible Bridge" - WW2 Brothers split, one studies architecture in Paris, gets a mysterious reference, really good story.
    Last edited by Buster Highmen; 11-17-2022 at 12:15 PM.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Time for a new book - any suggestions?

Recently read “A Distant Mirror “ generally about the 1400’s

https://www.amazon.com/Distant-Mirro...1-5cff1dc6b1dc

What struck me was the author’s writing about how society changed after the black plague (or it’s many renditions) and how the outlook and demands of the workforce shifted.
    The book was written in the 70’s but it really mirrored what we have been seeing after covid. A distant mirror indeed.
    skid luxury