Page 9 of 35 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by satori View Post
    Searched Unbroken and there seems to be several books with the same title. Considering you said it's an incredible story I'm guessing it's Zamperini's and his story as a Japanese POW? Will check it out. Thanks!
    Yes, that's the one. Personally I was a bit underwhelmed after all the hype. I thought the first half was good, but it got a little tedious toward the end.

Cheers AD! I thought I had replied but must not have hit the send button before heading to class.

If you dont mind, would you elaborate on the tedious aspect? Like, was it kinda a repetitious existence of him being beaten, forced to work, beaten, forced to work kinda thing? Kinda like the Death Railway? Cheers again!
    パウダーバカ!!

If you dont mind, would you elaborate on the tedious aspect? Like, was it kinda a repetitious existence of him being beaten, forced to work, beaten, forced to work kinda thing? Kinda like the Death Railway? Cheers again!
    Pretty much. To me the most interesting part of the book was before he was captured. But I know lots of people love the book so I'm probably in the minority.

Cool, cheers for the response.
    パウダーバカ!!

I have downloaded many novels on my ebook created by Kivsoft Flipbook Maker, so that I can review them anytime when I am free.

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    Pretty much. To me the most interesting part of the book was before he was captured. But I know lots of people love the book so I'm probably in the minority.
    I'm in the same minority. I just finished it, and I agree about the tediousness. What's frustrating is that it starts out really engaging, but then becomes tedious. The story is fascinating, and she definitely did her research, but it felt like she rushed the second half. A lot of "one day this happened, then another day that happened, and then another day..." Also, lots of go-nowhere foreshadowing. She was working with an amazing story, I just don't think she's that good of a storyteller.

Maybe my hopes were too high because it's gotten so many good reviews.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

anyone read City of Thieves

Quote Originally Posted by mtbcat View Post
    City of Thieves. quick easy good read.
    Anyone read City of Thieves what did you think ? Just finished To the White Sea. Thought it was alright novel good descriptions made me see and feel the story. Thought it dragged a little, liked the ending. Now i need a new book.
    Last edited by mtbcat; 07-09-2012 at 10:10 AM.

I just finished Ragtime, by E.L. Doctorow, and it's terrific. Almost 40 years old, so no revelation, but terrific writing about a period in which I am very interested (the first few decades of the 20th century). Highly recommended.

2nd/3rd/whatever Monkey Wrench Gang & Lamb... 2 of my all-time favorites.

If you're a dog lover, check out this collection of short stories: Dog is my Copilot

On leadership: Pete Blaber's book The Mission, the Men, and Me was an excellent and very entertaining read. One of the chapters takes place in the Bob Marshall wilderness.

Anybody read Ghost Wars? Just started reading it today and cant put it down... read 80 pages this afternoon. Even though it goes into much detail and deals with lots of names and detail, it's not dry nor boring at all which kinda surprised me. So far I'm quite enjoying it and would recommend it if you're a history buff.
    I too was surprised at how not dry of a read it was. Coll did a great job putting all the pieces together and keeping it read-able. Have you read Charlie Wilson's War by George Crile? IMO those two books should be read in tandem. The Main Enemy by Milt Bearden & James Risen also devotes a section on bleeding the Soviets in Afghanistan.

Lately I have pivoted to nonfiction books on the US & Iran:
    The Devil we Know by Robert Baer
    Guests of the Ayatollah by Mark Bowden
    Balls Deep in the 'Ho

Quote Originally Posted by 13 View Post

If you're a dog lover, check out this collection of short stories: Dog is my Copilot

On leadership: Pete Blaber's book The Mission, the Men, and Me was an excellent and very entertaining read. One of the chapters takes place in the Bob Marshall wilderness.

I too was surprised at how not dry of a read it was. Coll did a great job putting all the pieces together and keeping it read-able. Have you read Charlie Wilson's War by George Crile? IMO those two books should be read in tandem. The Main Enemy by Milt Bearden & James Risen also devotes a section on bleeding the Soviets in Afghanistan.

13, No I haven't. But if you enjoyed Ghost Wars and think they go well together, I'll had that to my list. Cheers! I'm only finishing up the chapter on Massoud right now as we are in the midst of our school year winding down and Im marking final exams, but looking forward to finishing it up. Thanks for the recommendations.

Have you read The Places In Between by Rory Stewart? Very cool travel writing and extremely funny.
    パウダーバカ!!

Just started reading The Final Frontiersman. Pretty interesting so far.

As a certified Coach, I suggest you pick up a copy of Angie Abdou's The Canterbury Trail and then blast your core with some side splitting belly laughs.

http://backcountryskiingcanada.com/i...20Trail%20Book

I've read it twice - it's a real onion of a book. My abs are ripped now, yours could be too.

Curious to hear if anyone else on here has read this - I have a feeling it will appeal to a lot of folks here...

Plus the author is a bit of a hottie...

City of Thieves is fantastic - a one-sitting read. I really really really liked Gone Girl, a great summer/beach book.

Quote Originally Posted by 13 View Post

Given your tastes, 13, it sounds like Our Divided Political Heart is right up your alley.
    Just saw an extended interview of the author with Jon Stewart on the Daily Show site and it sounds really insightful.

Rasputin is online now Полые тростник на ветру
    For those who seek to know the light, The Prophet by Kahlil Gibran. Also worthy works are Gibran's The Procession, and Sea and Foam.
    I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things. -אלוהים אדירים

Skeletons on the Zahara.

Nice, updated version of Riley and Robbins' accounts.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

If you are into caving and espionage, read Shibumi by Alex Trevanian. Old, but this book rivals Kane and Abel (Archer) and any of the Bourne (Ludlum) books. FWIW, this summer, I have re-read The Sun Also Rises, A Farewell To Arms, For Whom The Bell Tolls, Lord Jim, Heart of Darkness and Slaughterhouse Five. All Great reads.
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Quote Originally Posted by splat View Post
    Given your tastes, 13, it sounds like Our Divided Political Heart is right up your alley.
    Just saw an extended interview of the author with Jon Stewart on the Daily Show site and it sounds really insightful.
    I don't really have tastes, I just go through phases. I'll add that book to my list.

How come you haven't written a novel yet? I always enjoyed reading your stuff in Powder and I meant to ask you that when we met at Mammoth, but we were too busy bullshitting about somethings or other.
    Balls Deep in the 'Ho

Scrape Exchange, a Football Novel

Scrape Exchange, a mostly funny book with some thought provoking moments:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Scrape Exchange.JPG 
Views:	128 
Size:	33.5 KB 
ID:	119071

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	into-the-silence-the-great-war-mallory-and-the-conquest-of-everest.jpg 
Views:	210 
Size:	25.9 KB 
ID:	119072

A truly fascinating read.

might have been mentioned:
    Bright Shiny Morning - James Frey
    Very engaging and an exceptional, unusual writing style, imo. Episodes about various people in LA.
    Ich bitte dich nur, weck mich nicht.

Just finished Boomerang by Michael Lewis. Essentially it's a collection of articles that he wrote for Vanity Fair about travels in Greece, Germany, Ireland, Iceland and the U.S. to discover the reasons for their respective financial situations. Easy read, very insightful. Starts off strong, lulls just a smidge in the middle, and finishes strong.

David McCullough: The Greater Journey - A history of the first wave of American artists, doctors, scientists and intellectuals going to France. Really interesting read. Who knew that Samuel Morse who created Morse code was actually a failed painter?

Paul Theroux: The Tao of Travel - Collections and Reminisces by travel writers such as Nabokov, Tolkien, Dickens, Thoreau, Chekov, Greene, among others. Piquant dreamtime vignettes.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

can anyone rec. a van gogh biography?